Notifications
Clear all

Fraxel Re:pair

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/05/2011 6:38 pm

I have been absent from the board for some time, but since I will be undergoing my 5th Fraxel Re:pair this fall I thought I would come on to see if there has been any new developements in treatments. I can see that everything is pretty much status quo. For anyone new to the boards I am the laser advocate. I am sitting at about 75-80% improvement with some areas at 100%. I am not going to post pictures so don't bother asking. The cheeks remain the most difficult area and that is where I have the 75-80% improvement.

The problem with Fraxel Re:pair is that it is very expensive and requires multiple treatments depending on the severity of your scars. There is no "one and done" treatment if you have a real scar problem. If you can do it at 70mj then do it. Put aside the purchase of a new car or anything else because this is NOTHING more important to you. Work a 2nd job - deliver pizzas if you have to but do this if you can. If you have dark skin you may not be able to do Fraxel Re:pair. Here is a link to pictures. Put aside your prejudices concerning some of the older people and look at the frigging changes in those pictures. You can view them as larger pictures. Some are subtle, and some our outright dramatic, but every one of them is after one treatment of Re:pair

http://www.realself.com/fraxel-repair/befo...nd-after-photos

The last I knew the only other laser comparable to Fraxel Re:pair was the Deep FX so research before you waste your money on imitations. If you aren't going to treat at high levels then stay home, and play with home remedies. DON'T BUY ANY OTHER FRAXEL THAN RE:PAIR

MemberMember
(@reeja)

Posted : 08/05/2011 8:09 pm

damn, if I ever get wrinkles, I am getting this. This woman took at least 10 yrs off her looks:

http://www.realself.com/photo/103862?offse...;topic_id=48279

Looks great for texture and decent for acne scarring too.

MemberMember
(@mooshoo)

Posted : 08/05/2011 10:44 pm

Hi Dudley. I remember you from the good old days. I've been absent for several years and popped back in today myself.

Have you done any poking around in the stem cell posts? I know ReCell is still around. Isolagen went bankrupt and reorganized as FibroCell I think.

Just wondering what is new in regeneration of skin, aside from lasers.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/06/2011 3:28 am

how bad were ur scars dudley?

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/06/2011 12:34 pm

Mooshoo, as far as I know the stem cell treatments are still pie in the sky. Of course companies are going to market what they will, but check the bottom of my sig line.

TimeHealsAll, all you have to do is check out my sig line to understand how big a problem I had. Of all the treatments including the unmentioned Dermaroller and Copper Peptides the only thing that has worked was the Fraxel Re:pair. The effects are cumulative, I have spent almost 9k and about 3.5 years on Re:pair. I could have shortened the time down, and in retrospect I should have. Even when I reach a stopping point, I will probably continue doing this on a yearly tune up basis.

MemberMember
(@frax1)

Posted : 08/06/2011 1:54 pm

Dudley,

thank you for coming back and updating us.

Did you think about combining Recell with Fraxel? It is supposed to help the healing and improve the results.

What is the minimum waiting time one should wait between Fraxel Repair sessions in your view?

Thank you and good luck with your 5th treatment!

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/06/2011 5:13 pm

Is this recell available in America or have the Bible thumpers come up with a way to deny it on ethical grounds. We lost 8 years of stem cell research because of that moron George Bush http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/23876/ I believe the minimum waiting time between Re:pairs is 4 to 6 months depending on how fast you heal.

MemberMember
(@frax1)

Posted : 08/07/2011 4:22 am

Is this recell available in America or have the Bible thumpers come up with a way to deny it on ethical grounds. We lost 8 years of stem cell research because of that moron George Bush http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/23876/ I believe the minimum waiting time between Re:pairs is 4 to 6 months depending on how fast you heal.

I believe Recell is not yet available in the US and only a few doctors use in Europe. From what I have heard and seen, I believe it can make a great addition to Repair treatments.

You might find the research report (July 2011) on Avita (Recell) interesting: Avita Investors

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/07/2011 5:08 am

Mooshoo, as far as I know the stem cell treatments are still pie in the sky. Of course companies are going to market what they will, but check the bottom of my sig line.

TimeHealsAll, all you have to do is check out my sig line to understand how big a problem I had. Of all the treatments including the unmentioned Dermaroller and Copper Peptides the only thing that has worked was the Fraxel Re:pair. The effects are cumulative, I have spent almost 9k and about 3.5 years on Re:pair. I could have shortened the time down, and in retrospect I should have. Even when I reach a stopping point, I will probably continue doing this on a yearly tune up basis.

fair enough. I realize you refuse to post pictures, which is fine... but i must ask, what is the reasoning behind why you do not want to show the org your success?

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/07/2011 10:34 am

fair enough. I realize you refuse to post pictures, which is fine... but i must ask, what is the reasoning behind why you do not want to show the org your success?

I prefer to remain anonymous, and really only return to this forum when I am preparing for another Re:pair. Take a look at my sig line. I have been through all the biggies, and I have nothing to prove. I took before pictures but none of them showed how bad I thought my scars were. I also have no pictures before my dermbrasion at all. I could post pictures after the dermabrasion but they were not taken to hilight my flaws. I post this to indicate what I consider the depth of my scars. http://www.youtube.com/user/DanielleOsti#p/u/7/KeIPBPlY3L0 I had more extensive scarring, but she is a perfect example of what I was dealing with. That is also why I have taken a special interest in her progress. I don't have anything that shows where I was and where I am now. The doctor took pictures and she was really amazed at the progress and even submitted them to Reliant. I am their favorite patient now, and I only pay $800 per treatment.

I am involved in a Hobby that takes up most of my time now. I only come on to learn about new treatments, and provide hope for those who are willing to take the leap.

Until Recell gets FDA approval it will remain beyond your reach, or is it? Check out "Patients Beyond Borders" by Josef Woodman There are ways to get around the religious fanatics oppression.

MemberMember
(@451)

Posted : 08/07/2011 2:00 pm

Hi Dudley,

Good to see you. Glad you are having so much success with your treatments. Good luck with the upcoming fraxel. I THINK recell is in its last stages of FDA approval. Have you considered having prp or selphyl used after your procedure?

Check out this site. I think you might find it interesting.

http://www.afirm.mil/

MemberMember
(@hellohellohello)

Posted : 08/07/2011 6:06 pm

Is this recell available in America or have the Bible thumpers come up with a way to deny it on ethical grounds. We lost 8 years of stem cell research because of that moron George Bush

Until Recell gets FDA approval it will remain beyond your reach, or is it? Check out "Patients Beyond Borders" by Josef Woodman There are ways to get around the religious fanatics oppression.

Wow. Recell and probably any other promising stem cell treatment for acne scars is from using a patient's own stem cells, not stem cells from embryos. Stem cells that are not from an embryo have never been an issue with anyone. It makes sense that stem cells that share someone's own DNA 100% would have a better result than from stem cells from someone without the same genetics. Here is an example using mesenchymal cells:

http://www.scars1.com/News/Stem_Cell_Thera...oderma_Patients

Exactly what treatments from those countries that have been allowing full embryonic stem cell treatments have been helping acne scarring patients in those countries? I haven't heard of any. Please fill me in if I'm missing something.

It is right and appropriate that scientists should have people looking over their shoulders. Some scientists have done many horrible experiments in the name of science. Now even scientists are admitting that animal/human chimeras should be supervised and regulated.

On another note, I'm happy you've seen results from the Fraxel treatments. Unfortunately it is true that people who want to keep the results will have to keep having them done. That turns into quite an expenditure of money that most people will not have the luxury to do. Here is a study from Dr. Zachary at UC Irvine that says that patients only maintained 74% of results after one to two years.

RESULTS: Subjects maintained 74% of their overall improvement at their long-term visits compared to 3-month follow-up visits. While clinical improvement was maintained long-term, the results were not as remarkable as those seen at 3-month visits. The authors speculate that results seen at 3 months may be enhanced by persistent inflammatory changes, as evidenced by heat shock protein 47 activity and ongoing collagen remodeling seen in previous histologic studies

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20166157

Good luck with your treatments. I hope you get great results.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/07/2011 9:59 pm

We will never really know what results could have been achieved had we agressively approached stem cell research instead of it having to hide in the shadows with limited stem cell lines.

By my statement that I will most probably have yearly tune-ups I am in agreement with this study, but I would hardly consider $800/yr a very high cost to pay for the results. A person can easily spend that much on useless creams in a year. I hope that people read that study, and don't ignore the fact that they will see improvement. I am a complete advocate of multiple treatments, and if my memory is correct mine cost - 5000, 2000, 1000, 800 for a total of 8800. My next one will be done for 800. I have no idea what the initial cost is today, but when I first had mine done there were only 35 machines in the USA. The people who cannot possibly scrape up 800 would probably waste that much money at Starbucks each year. People have the choice to do something that will change their lives, or they can sit back and wait for the miracle cure that will not come.

Neurotic, very interesting link. That is what I mean about being out of touch with recent developments.

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 08/07/2011 10:31 pm

Personally I'm glad I stopped DEEP FX and decided to go back with silicone microdroplet with a more expereinced doc. My scars are dramatically shallower, and I don't think fractional laser would have been a cost effective option for me given the amount of time and money I would need to spend in 'hope' of seeing any improvement (which I never did after the first one). I am, however, considering it now that I have managed to level some of my deep scars with the surrounding skin more; I would like the old-fashioned wire brush dermabrasion more though.

Silicone microdroplet with Dr. Resnick has been the best thing I've ever done in my entire life since getting depressed rolling scars some 10 years ago, and everyone on this board knew how distraught i've been for so many years. I can say without any qualms that it really is a 'quick fix' if you can find the right doctor and have the right type of scars (mine were the deep rolling kind that disapperared when stretched). But you gotta find the right doc, and believe me it is hard. I tried it before with a less expereinced doctor and the results won't compare. I;m looking for this laser to 'polish' or enhance the results from the silicone.

MemberMember
(@user80848)

Posted : 08/07/2011 11:32 pm

Hey Dudley,

Nice to hear from you again. I've been AWOL for a while too, but occasionally want to check in for updates. I'm happy for you, but I've been having some success with dermarolls myself. Anyway on another note, does anyone know what happened to Ernestoria? Has anyone heard from him?

MemberMember
(@roller)

Posted : 08/08/2011 6:27 am

Hey Dudley,

What doctor do you use? Also, what are your toughts on combining subcision with laser?

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/08/2011 6:53 am

My doctor is in OKC. I don't know anything about subscission. I will probably be doing yearly Fraxel Re:pair as long as it is the viable first line of treatment.

MemberMember
(@hellohellohello)

Posted : 08/08/2011 5:25 pm

We will never really know what results could have been achieved had we agressively approached stem cell research instead of it having to hide in the shadows with limited stem cell lines.

Not so. They have full funding. I'm paying taxes in California to pay for the billions to research embryonic stem cells. It does turn out, apparently, that most of that money is going to adult stem cell research anyway because apparently the research is more promising.

MemberMember
(@patrick)

Posted : 08/08/2011 5:54 pm

Not so. They have full funding. I'm paying taxes in California to pay for the billions to research embryonic stem cells. It does turn out, apparently, that most of that money is going to adult stem cell research anyway because apparently the research is more promising.

Did they have full funding during the Bush administration? That's what he's talking about.

MemberMember
(@healing2-0)

Posted : 08/09/2011 5:16 am

Im pretty sure it didnt have full funding under the Bush administration. At least not at the Federal level. Bush felt our money was better spent by attacking the country thats beside the one trying to make nukes.

MemberMember
(@anna-di)

Posted : 08/09/2011 1:25 pm

I believe the minimum waiting time between Re:pairs is 4 to 6 months depending on how fast you heal.

This I can imagine. Some time ago while I was still researching the different scar treatments I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon in my area, one of the few in Germany who offer the Re:pair. Having already read your threads what he suggested shocked me totally-3 consecutive treatments(starting from 50mj) with an intervall of 3-4 weeks inbetween!!! What would you say about that?? After confirming for the second time that it was the Re:pair, not the Re:store that we were talking about he said that this is done on purpose at such a short intervall so that the effect is cumulative. Needless to say I was too scared to go for one treatment with the Re:pair, let alone 3 and opted in the end for other treatments.

MemberMember
(@frax1)

Posted : 08/09/2011 2:56 pm

I believe the minimum waiting time between Re:pairs is 4 to 6 months depending on how fast you heal.

This I can imagine. Some time ago while I was still researching the different scar treatments I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon in my area, one of the few in Germany who offer the Re:pair. Having already read your threads what he suggested shocked me totally-3 consecutive treatments(starting from 50mj) with an intervall of 3-4 weeks inbetween!!! What would you say about that?? After confirming for the second time that it was the Re:pair, not the Re:store that we were talking about he said that this is done on purpose at such a short intervall so that the effect is cumulative. Needless to say I was too scared to go for one treatment with the Re:pair, let alone 3 and opted in the end for other treatments.

The doctor is complete clueless. 3 weeks is the minimum time between Restore treatments. Repair definitively needs larger intervals. In which city was the doctor located you consulted? Btw: I live in Germany too...

MemberMember
(@anna-di)

Posted : 08/09/2011 4:35 pm

Yes I know, that's why I was so shocked. But I am sure he meant the Re:pair. The Official Fraxel site

also says that he has only the Re:pair. He's located in M¼nster. Also in M¼nster there is another doctor, who also offers the Re:pair. I might see her in the future. I am thinking of having the laser for a final tough up but only if I am 100% sure that I am in good hands and that the whole laser thing won't backfire.

From which part of Germany are you? Do you know any good doctors here who are very experienced in laser resurfacing? Mostly Fraxel Restore, Re:pair or Deep FX? I've had no luck so far in finding one :(

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/10/2011 6:29 am

I have never heard of anybody doing Re:pair that quickly. The doctor is either misinformed or there is some new thinking that I am not aware of.

MemberMember
(@easymoney)

Posted : 08/10/2011 6:35 pm

the derm in my town has fraxel co2, can anybody tell me is this repair or restore thnks