Notifications
Clear all

Deciding on a blue light product

MemberMember
(@tross87)

Posted : 04/30/2011 4:36 pm

Long post tldr at bottom.

Hey all, I don't post here much but I've been lurking for quite a while. I found out about blue light treatments from Tria ads awhile ago and since then I've found some better looking companies. Tria forces you to have to buy a cartridge every month or so, so it ends up costing a lot. I guess my acne would be considered mild but it used to be a lot worse so I have some scars and would like to buy a product that also allows the use of red light to help with that.

I seem to respond well to the sun and since these things are both light I'm very hopeful that it'll do me some good, I read the faq and think these ones looked the best.

edit: I can't get the links to show for some reason but they are,

Lumiport

Acne lamp

Tanda

Sorry just paste them into google they're the first ones that come up.

The lumiport is the same price as the acnelamp handheld models but smaller. On the other hand it is able to switch into blue, red or both at the same time where as the acnelamp can only do both at the same time as far as I know. Using both at the same time seems a little gimmicky to me, I'd prefer using blue and red separately. The acnelamp does seem better built though, does anybody know if the led heads are interchangeable?

And then there's Tanda, I was looking at the professional model although I'm unsure of the differences between it and the prestige besides what I'm about the mention. The Tanda does not use a cartridge like the Tria does but it says the led heads last for 10,000 3 minute sessions for the professional and 6,000 for the prestige. I did the math for the professional and it would last about 500 hours, this translates into almost 21 days of being on 24/7. At first I thought this was just a way to suck more money from a customer like the Tria cartridge system but I noticed Acnelamp also offers replacement heads, so is it reasonable for the leds to lose their effectiveness after being used this long? These things are 75-100 dollars each so I want to know if it's just a money making scheme.

I'm leaning towards the Tanda even though it is the most expensive by far since I would have to buy the actual package and then also buy the other color head. I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with both. I'd like to hear what people think and any personal experience with any of these or others would be appreciated. Also I want to know about combining blue and red lights, it just seems like a gimmick and like it would have a different effect on the skin since it is an entirely different color?

tldr: which blue/red light product should I buy?

MemberMember
(@mg2011)

Posted : 04/30/2011 5:31 pm

I was just reading this on Science Daily

I guess I need to get caught up on the light/laser methods. I, personally, would probably have a professional do it, but I know that's got to be ridiculously expensive.

MemberMember
(@tross87)

Posted : 04/30/2011 11:24 pm

I was just reading this on

I guess I need to get caught up on the light/laser methods. I, personally, would probably have a professional do it, but I know that's got to be ridiculously expensive.

Yeah, too rich for my blood.

MemberMember
(@stvn758)

Posted : 05/01/2011 11:42 am

I just ordered two bulbs from [Removed], one blue and one red and blue. Thankfully I don't suffer from full on acne but have always had problems with spotty skin, tired of all the overpriced skin creams and scrubs, like the idea of killing the bacteria at source before it causes problems.

A22 each and free postage, bargain.

MemberMember
(@tross87)

Posted : 05/01/2011 4:37 pm

stvn758 said:
I just ordered two bulbs from [Removed], one blue and one red and blue. Thankfully I don't suffer from full on acne but have always had problems with spotty skin, tired of all the overpriced skin creams and scrubs, like the idea of killing the bacteria at source before it causes problems.

22 each and free postage, bargain.

I wonder if they work as well as the more expensive products, what are you planning to use the bulb in? I can't tell exactly how big they are from the pictures. They look like a good option too though, certainly cheaper than the rest.

I still want to learn more about combining the red/blue lights if anyone has any experience with them.

MemberMember
(@stvn758)

Posted : 05/02/2011 1:24 pm

tross87 said:
stvn758 said:

22 each and free postage, bargain.

I wonder if they work as well as the more expensive products, what are you planning to use the bulb in? I can't tell exactly how big they are from the pictures. They look like a good option too though, certainly cheaper than the rest.

I still want to learn more about combining the red/blue lights if anyone has any experience with them.

I'll put them in an ordinary desktop lamp, one with a flexible stem so I can adjust it towards my face. There are a few more affordable blue light devices on Ebay appearing now, but these ones have the right 415nm 660nm wavelengths - if they work great if not I am not out of pocket for more than a few Clearasil facial scrubs I would of been buying anyhow.

MemberMember
(@tross87)

Posted : 05/05/2011 2:30 am

I'll put them in an ordinary desktop lamp, one with a flexible stem so I can adjust it towards my face. There are a few more affordable blue light devices on Ebay appearing now, but these ones have the right 415nm 660nm wavelengths - if they work great if not I am not out of pocket for more than a few Clearasil facial scrubs I would of been buying anyhow.

[Removed]

Not sure if you're interested in learning differences between using blue, blue/red separately or blue/red combined but I found that article which sheds some light on it, and you're the only one really responding XD. They don't specifically say if they used a separate or combined blue/red light but they did conclude that using both instead of just blue was more efficient.

I hope the bulbs are as bright as they say they are on the site, I'm pretty certain I'm going to go ahead and get one of them, I'd rather a handheld type thing because it is more convenient but screw paying an extra 200+ for convenience. Now I just have to decide on a lamp and whether to get a separate blue/red or a combined one.

Maybe the one they link on the site, I checked some other lamps out on the same site they linked and;

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/pro-trac...ght__63413.html

Do you think something like that would work? Wtf powers those, I'm probably just not thinking because it's late but does it run on batteries?

I'm not sure how to find out what it would fit in.

MemberMember
(@stvn758)

Posted : 05/05/2011 12:29 pm

You can get twin bulbed lamps, so I might get one of those and have both going at once as that seems to be the best method. Until they arrive I won't know how bright they are or what type of area they cover. The spotlight idea looks good to increase the brightness, want the light to go deep not just bounce off the surface.

MemberMember
(@stvn758)

Posted : 05/10/2011 2:51 pm

My BLUE BULB has arrived and I am very happy with it, has a purple tint to it. I can certainly see a difference in skin tone - after using every scrub and cream for God knows how many years light therapy really does give instant results. I also find shaving with a razor isn't so awful either - usually I would be covered with scrapes and get lumpy spots from ingrown hairs, the light really does heal things faster. Waiting for the RED bulb to arrive.

The bulb is small but well made and for A20 and free postage is good value for money by comparison to every other device I have seen.

Blue Light Bulb

MemberMember
(@tross87)

Posted : 05/11/2011 12:46 am

Woops I thought I answered to your last post, I think I mightve closed the browser before hitting add reply on accident.

I'm glad it's working for you and I can def relate with the razor thing except for the ingrown hairs, I've only ever had one of those but it did leave the biggest scar I have and it was pretty horrible.

I'm puzzled on how it'll fit into most lamps since it looks shaped like a saucer compared to the pear shape of a normal bulb, how does that work?

I was going to get the dual colored bulb but after noticing that only 11 of the leds on it are blue, I decided to go for the full blue one instead. I'll have to wait until a friend of mine pays me back for some $ I lent him though and then I can get the red one next time I get paid and I'll be good to go.

MemberMember
(@stvn758)

Posted : 05/11/2011 7:30 am

Woops I thought I answered to your last post, I think I mightve closed the browser before hitting add reply on accident.

I'm glad it's working for you and I can def relate with the razor thing except for the ingrown hairs, I've only ever had one of those but it did leave the biggest scar I have and it was pretty horrible.

I'm puzzled on how it'll fit into most lamps since it looks shaped like a saucer compared to the pear shape of a normal bulb, how does that work?

I was going to get the dual colored bulb but after noticing that only 11 of the leds on it are blue, I decided to go for the full blue one instead. I'll have to wait until a friend of mine pays me back for some $ I lent him though and then I can get the red one next time I get paid and I'll be good to go.

It's an easy fit, it looks huge on the website but it's actually quite small in reality. Gives good coverage though, depends on how close you have the bulb to your face - I like it very very close so the light gets right through the skin and kills that scummy bacteria. :D

MemberMember
(@tross87)

Posted : 05/11/2011 10:28 pm

Yup I think every light product recommends it to be close. Well I ordered a blue bulb, hopefully it wont take too long.

MemberMember
(@dreamy)

Posted : 05/15/2011 6:29 pm

I use the TandaZAP and I actually really like it. I have definitelly seen an improvement in my skin since using it. It combines blue light with heat and vibration, it's also only $50.

The only problem is that it is so small so you only use it on certain areas at each 2 minute interval. It's a great spot treatment though.

MemberMember
(@jack3100)

Posted : 05/16/2011 10:55 am

omnilux clear u , its stronger than all of those other ones

MemberMember
(@ana17925)

Posted : 10/29/2012 5:41 pm

This sounds like a great idea.

On 5/11/2011 at 1:51 AM, stvn758 said:

My BLUE BULB has arrived and I am very happy with it, has a purple tint to it. I can certainly see a difference in skin tone - after using every scrub and cream for God knows how many years light therapy really does give instant results. I also find shaving with a razor isn't so awful either - usually I would be covered with scrapes and get lumpy spots from ingrown hairs, the light really does heal things faster. Waiting for the RED bulb to arrive.

The bulb is small but well made and for A20 and free postage is good value for money by comparison to every other device I have seen.

Blue Light Bulb

MemberMember
(@stvn758)

Posted : 10/29/2012 6:34 pm

On 10/30/2012 at 4:41 AM, ana17925 said:

This sounds like a great idea.

On 5/11/2011 at 1:51 AM, stvn758 said:

The bulb is small but well made and for ‚£20 and free postage is good value for money by comparison to every other device I have seen.

Blue Light Bulb

My question is on how to use this bulb. For how long do I need to expose myself to the light and how often? Also, how do you get the light bulb that close to your skin? Do you use one of those desk lamps that is sold at Walmart for $10? My bathroom is pretty small. Can I replace the regular bulb that I use there with this blue light bulb? Please give a little more information. Thank you. smile.png

It depends how much time you have, I saw one advert for a blue light pen gadget that said 70 seconds which sounds a little on the short side. I would say a minimum of ten minutes. Sometimes I will do half an hour if I have nothing better to do. The bulb is an American screw type - I used an adaptor so it will fit, they are cheap and available everywhere if your lamp doesn't have the right socket. At the moment I have a clip lamp - a lamp with a clamp at one end that you clip to a shelf and I just hold the lamp next to my face to get as deep a penetration as possible.

Just ordered this though, much easier I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005O0R644

MemberMember
(@ana17925)

Posted : 10/29/2012 7:34 pm

Thank you so much. I'll get to it. :)

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/02/2012 8:49 am

I have the Evis MD platinum blue light. It runs $200 on amazon, around $100 on ebay and I found mine at TJ maxx for $100. Don't need to buy replacement cartridges, just plug it in and go. I haven't been diligent enough to notice remarkable results though but most people that have give it good reviews :) Blue light is for treating acne, red light is for anti-aging, supposed to help with wrinkles.

MemberMember
(@rnic2)

Posted : 12/05/2012 3:25 pm

I have the Evis MD platinum blue light. It runs $200 on amazon, around $100 on ebay and I found mine at TJ maxx for $100. Don't need to buy replacement cartridges, just plug it in and go. I haven't been diligent enough to notice remarkable results though but most people that have give it good reviews smile.png Blue light is for treating acne, red light is for anti-aging, supposed to help with wrinkles.

i've been looking into buying one, not sure whether i want to take the chance in buying the such expensive product. do you know if its possible for it to cause an even worse breakout? if so, i'll look for similar products...

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 12/08/2012 10:12 pm

I have the Evis MD platinum blue light. It runs $200 on amazon, around $100 on ebay and I found mine at TJ maxx for $100. Don't need to buy replacement cartridges, just plug it in and go. I haven't been diligent enough to notice remarkable results though but most people that have give it good reviews smile.png Blue light is for treating acne, red light is for anti-aging, supposed to help with wrinkles.

i've been looking into buying one, not sure whether i want to take the chance in buying the such expensive product. do you know if its possible for it to cause an even worse breakout? if so, i'll look for similar products...

It definitely won't make your acne worse, if anything it just won't help at all. A better way of controlling bacteria causing acne is taking a probiotic, one with 30 billion organisms, pretty much cured my acne. I got my blue light at a big discount but it's not worth paying full price for.

MemberMember
(@zusak)

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:52 pm

Works great! 3 weeks with red/yellow/blue/orange LED light has reduced my acne about 60%.

Product was very expensive, cost over 500 euros. Risky one, but im glad it worked out.

Definitely worth to try at least.

MemberMember
(@rnic2)

Posted : 12/10/2012 7:41 pm

It definitely won't make your acne worse, if anything it just won't help at all. A better way of controlling bacteria causing acne is taking a probiotic, one with 30 billion organisms, pretty much cured my acne. I got my blue light at a big discount but it's not worth paying full price for.

I managed to land one for $29 on ebay! Im really hoping this helps... i've been on green tea and i see a difference since i started drinking it 2 weeks ago

MemberMember
(@the-overlord)

Posted : 12/16/2012 8:36 pm

I'm looking into getting one of these lights too. I think I would need a smaller one though that lets me watch tv or something on the side. I don't really care if it takes half an hour to cover my whole face but I really dont wanna wear glasses with this because I know that I'll never use it then.

Do you guys have a suggestion?

I was looking at the Lumiport since it has both blue and red and is pretty small.

Buying one of those led bulbs looks pretty good too but i'm not sure if I could find a good lamp to put it into since, again, I don't wanna wear glasses for that :P so I would have to finda lamp where the bulb fits in perfect and where no light escapes on the sides.

Do you guys have an update on those LED bulbs? How do you use them? Do you actually just soot in front of them for half an hour every day?

MemberMember
(@cleanandnotclear)

Posted : 01/20/2013 11:36 am

I'm building my own from 30x415nm, 30x660nm, 30x880nm 3Watt LED's all powered by a 650w PSU.

It's taking ages though. neutral.gif

MemberMember
(@rian202003)

Posted : 01/22/2013 11:15 pm

would these be strong enough [Edited link out]