Notifications
Clear all

Sulfur abilities

MemberMember
(@eddysesposa)

Posted : 10/13/2010 5:50 am

Let me start off by saying that I am 30-years-old and have been battling acne since the age of 12. Unfortunately I have tried benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, Proactive, etc. I have literally tried EVERY product on the market except Accutane. Once I went to the dermatologist and they prescribed me Retin-A. I usually gave up after a couple of weeks seeing as I seemed to break out 3 times worse than to begin with.

I do not have cystic acne. I have a lot of whiteheads. I don't seem to have any blackheads unless I spot a minimal amount on my nose, no biggie.

I am the whitest person you will ever see. I am Irish. My grandfather came to America right after the Depression to work on the railroads. He came through Ellis Island and literally had nothing. We are FAIR COMPLECTED if you have ever seen one. we are it.

Usually all products ALWAYS irritated me. I am already red in the face so products just exacerbates the problem.

Nothing has ever even come close to working.

I recently discovered the magical powers of sulfur. I don't know if it's my body and skin or what but this WORKS.

I started out reading other blogs regarding the subject because I rarely take the advice given to me on the internet. But regardless this is exactly what I did.

There is a new product out from AcneFree called the Therapeutic Sulfur Mask. This thing is a miracle in a small tube. It's around $5 and worth a lot more. I also found that in the Spanish section of Walgreen's they have 10% sulfur ointment by de La Cruz, that I heard you can only get through a prescription, it was $4.99. They also had a sulfur bar of soap by Grisi that I got because when I do anything, I do it with a lot of enthusiasm. I highly suggest sulfur to treat your acne if you have tried everything else and nothing seems to touch it.

I have started using all three. The sulfur mask, which you can find anywhere (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Target, etc.), I have used at least once a day. For the 1st few days I used it twice. I read somewhere that when using sulfur, especially the stronger ones, you should use a moisturizer, which I have somehow forgotten over the years. I bought store brand Cetaphil moisturizer which apparently doesn't make acne flare up.

Anyway I am going to try to blog my journey on this site.

I started using them a few weeks ago and I am very diligent, I haven't given up because I am too tired or busy. When I started I had the enthusiasm of a 4-year-old, like always. Then my very best friend said I would initially break out more, which p'd me off. I thought if this is supposed to get rid of my problem why is it making it worse BUT I stuck in there.

I have been using the soap twice a day, the ointment every other day and the sulfur mask once a day since then. You wouldn't believe it. I only have some residual red spots, again I'm Irish, from previous flare-ups but even new pimples that came out don't have left over spots. They just went away by day 3. I have been acne-free since then and I am glad I survived through the purging period.

I read that centuries ago people used to travel days to get to the springs around volcanoes and when they got there they didn't just take a dip, they would bathe in those sulfur springs for HOURS. It is supposed to help your whole body. I even heard it helps the appearance of scars from acne, among other kinds of scars.

Anyway, if this help even 1 person this whole thing was worth it. What could be better than a natural acne remedy that is literally pennies compared to what I have spent over the years? If you have any questions for me I will be glad to help. Good luck on YOUR journey.

Until next time.

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 10/13/2010 7:57 am

Moved to the Over-The-Counter Acne Medications board, as this has nothing to do with The Regimen and is not a log.

Please read the board descriptions before posting threads to ensure that you are posting them on the appropriate board.

MemberMember
(@ameliabright)

Posted : 11/09/2010 12:42 pm

I started using a sulfur soap about 1 1/2 ago, when I felt basically helpless. I stumbled upon sulfur products while I was trying to think back through my past, trying to remember if any product had really worked. The only thing that ever really made a difference for my face was the proactive sulfur mask (the actual proactive system sucks...i used it for 2 months and it made my face so much worse). The mask was expensive, so I started searching online for other sulfur products and found a sulfur bar soap from adovia minerals that works really well. I also started getting the sulfur ointment (around 6% i think) that a few companies make...clean & clear and acnezone.

I will look into that mask though...right now I'm using a dead sea mud mask that I love, but it's $30, so if I could find a cheaper one that's just sulfur it would be great!

MemberMember
(@jayq)

Posted : 11/09/2010 12:55 pm

I started using a sulfur soap about 1 1/2 ago, when I felt basically helpless. I stumbled upon sulfur products while I was trying to think back through my past, trying to remember if any product had really worked. The only thing that ever really made a difference for my face was the proactive sulfur mask (the actual proactive system sucks...i used it for 2 months and it made my face so much worse). The mask was expensive, so I started searching online for other sulfur products and found a sulfur bar soap from adovia minerals that works really well. I also started getting the sulfur ointment (around 6% i think) that a few companies make...clean & clear and acnezone.

I will look into that mask though...right now I'm using a dead sea mud mask that I love, but it's $30, so if I could find a cheaper one that's just sulfur it would be great!

Can you get sulfur soap at like walmart? I dont have a walgreens here :(

MemberMember
(@ameliabright)

Posted : 11/09/2010 12:56 pm

I order it online from [Removed] It's 6.99 a bar.

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 11/09/2010 3:07 pm

Im using a prescription topical during the day called Prascion...its the bomb. Its 10% sodium Sulfacetamide and 5 % sulfur. It has worked in the past, and its working this time to curb my IB from Epiduo. Also, it is non drying which is nice...in fact, after i wash my face in the morning there is dry/flaky skin around my mouth. After i put on Pracsion it literally disappears. It's like it moisturizes my skin

MemberMember
(@sandman21)

Posted : 11/09/2010 4:20 pm

What was your skin type? Do you think this would work for dry skin (e.g., is it drying?)

MemberMember
(@jayq)

Posted : 11/09/2010 4:26 pm

Im using a prescription topical during the day called Prascion...its the bomb. Its 10% sodium Sulfacetamide and 5 % sulfur. It has worked in the past, and its working this time to curb my IB from Epiduo. Also, it is non drying which is nice...in fact, after i wash my face in the morning there is dry/flaky skin around my mouth. After i put on Pracsion it literally disappears. It's like it moisturizes my skin

This is what i scheduled my appt with my dr next week for to ask about a 10% sodium Sulfacetamide and 5 % sulfur cream to apply as a topical. I know there are lots of diff brands and the one i was gonna ask for was Clenia, but never heard of the one you are using. Bactrim kept my inflammation at bay and since i stopped taking it 2 weeks ago the cysts and acne on my chin and tzone area are back with a vengence and it has crushed me back to square one again.

I figured since the antibiotic was sulfur based the ointment should work too and its also an antibiotic topical. I dont know if i am gonna hold out a week though without going back on Bactrim, i a debating on starting it again tonight and even stay on it if i get prescribed the cream. I just am hoping that it works. I use 10% De La Cruz sulfur on spots and it just dries it up a little like it suppose to and thats about it, it really doesnt prevent or stop it from forming.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/10/2012 10:04 pm

Let me start off by saying that I am 30-years-old and have been battling acne since the age of 12. Unfortunately I have tried benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, Proactive, etc. I have literally tried EVERY product on the market except Accutane. Once I went to the dermatologist and they prescribed me Retin-A. I usually gave up after a couple of weeks seeing as I seemed to break out 3 times worse than to begin with.

I do not have cystic acne. I have a lot of whiteheads. I don't seem to have any blackheads unless I spot a minimal amount on my nose, no biggie.

I am the whitest person you will ever see. I am Irish. My grandfather came to America right after the Depression to work on the railroads. He came through Ellis Island and literally had nothing. We are FAIR COMPLECTED if you have ever seen one. we are it.

Usually all products ALWAYS irritated me. I am already red in the face so products just exacerbates the problem.

Nothing has ever even come close to working.

I recently discovered the magical powers of sulfur. I don't know if it's my body and skin or what but this WORKS.

I started out reading other blogs regarding the subject because I rarely take the advice given to me on the internet. But regardless this is exactly what I did.

There is a new product out from AcneFree called the Therapeutic Sulfur Mask. This thing is a miracle in a small tube. It's around $5 and worth a lot more. I also found that in the Spanish section of Walgreen's they have 10% sulfur ointment by de La Cruz, that I heard you can only get through a prescription, it was $4.99. They also had a sulfur bar of soap by Grisi that I got because when I do anything, I do it with a lot of enthusiasm. I highly suggest sulfur to treat your acne if you have tried everything else and nothing seems to touch it.

I have started using all three. The sulfur mask, which you can find anywhere (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Target, etc.), I have used at least once a day. For the 1st few days I used it twice. I read somewhere that when using sulfur, especially the stronger ones, you should use a moisturizer, which I have somehow forgotten over the years. I bought store brand Cetaphil moisturizer which apparently doesn't make acne flare up.

Anyway I am going to try to blog my journey on this site.

I started using them a few weeks ago and I am very diligent, I haven't given up because I am too tired or busy. When I started I had the enthusiasm of a 4-year-old, like always. Then my very best friend said I would initially break out more, which p'd me off. I thought if this is supposed to get rid of my problem why is it making it worse BUT I stuck in there.

I have been using the soap twice a day, the ointment every other day and the sulfur mask once a day since then. You wouldn't believe it. I only have some residual red spots, again I'm Irish, from previous flare-ups but even new pimples that came out don't have left over spots. They just went away by day 3. I have been acne-free since then and I am glad I survived through the purging period.

I read that centuries ago people used to travel days to get to the springs around volcanoes and when they got there they didn't just take a dip, they would bathe in those sulfur springs for HOURS. It is supposed to help your whole body. I even heard it helps the appearance of scars from acne, among other kinds of scars.

Anyway, if this help even 1 person this whole thing was worth it. What could be better than a natural acne remedy that is literally pennies compared to what I have spent over the years? If you have any questions for me I will be glad to help. Good luck on YOUR journey.

Until next time.

Almost a week using the 10% De La Cruz Sulfur for 10 -20 minutes once a day and there has been no drying or peeling whatsoever...skin is still oily. Any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 07/11/2012 10:17 am

There is another thread about sulfur on this forum; you may want to check it out, as well. Every bit of info. helps. :)

Does anyone know if sulfur ages the skin? I ask because it can be somewhat drying--though not nearly as much so as BP. I'd used a tinted sulfur lotion--actually a liquid--on my skin for nearly 20 years. (The original product was Sulfacet-R, which was discontinued. But a generic version was offered for a number of years by Perrigo.) I'm now 36 and worry about increasing the appearance of fine lines, which one can't outrun by the mid-30's.

I'm currently using a sulfur-based cream--also by Perrigo--that's 10% sulfacetimide and 5% sulfur. It's offered in both 30 g and 60 g tubes and tends to be cheap, since it's considered generic.

I'm also wondering if a sulfur-based medication can be applied all over the face and worn underneath make-up? Has anyone tried it with good results? (Or does the make-up still soak into/bleed off of your skin during the day?) And what make-up do you wear over the medication?

Thanks,

P.I.

MemberMember
(@leaf)

Posted : 12/27/2012 9:57 pm

I use Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. It's $3 in a tube at Family Dollar and Dollar General. Sally's Beauty Supply also carries it in a tub for around $5.