Notifications
Clear all

Why aren't many people with acne scars going for excision ?

MemberMember
(@mr-don)

Posted : 10/03/2010 9:05 am

I'm just wondering why there are not many excision/punch excision reviews on this board ?

I think it's a good way to treat acne scars unless you really have a lot of big ones.

Because it's a fact that surgery scars are much better to treat than indented acne scars.

They can be treated with steroid injections or botox very well. Also treatments like dermabrasion or lasers work much better on those type of scars.

If you check google pic search you will find many impressive scar revisions. More improvement than in 95% of all before after acne scars pictures I've ever seen (not considering the obviously faked ones).

What do you think ?

Here are some examples:

http://www.drphilipyoung.com/procedures.ph...re=scarrevision

http://www.plasticsurgerypractice.com/issu.../2010-07_04.asp

http://shannandesh.blogspot.com/2008/12/sk...to-my-nose.html

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/8127

http://plasticsurgerybeforeandafter.blogsp...-and-after.html

you will find many more if you also search for mole excision or skin cancer.

MemberMember
(@ziko)

Posted : 10/03/2010 12:53 pm

I always thought this was the way to go too, but most doctors just push for lasers nowadays. Also, you're extremely dependant on the doctor with this treatment. It could go wrong and you could end up with something that looks way worse.

MemberMember
(@mr-president)

Posted : 10/03/2010 4:29 pm

ziko is right about the lasers, but that doesnt make it good. id do excisions, even though i have a lot of scars id like it done on, especially since it seems like such a one off...to be honest tho, my scars seem just too small for it.

you can stop the scars caving in and looking larger (like they did to other users on here) by using a double stitch when closing it up - one on the inside and one on the outside. i remember reading this ensures the wound remains level whilst healing, improving the overall result.

MemberMember
(@mr-don)

Posted : 10/04/2010 6:22 am

I'm really looking forward to get this procedure done next year.

I have a few bad boxscars which bother me the most. The rest is mostly small icepicks which I could treat with tca cross. But for the boxscars, no way, they're just too deep.

Of course I have to look for a good plastic surgeon which is gonna cost me a lot of money.

But hey, I think this is better than spending thousands of dollars for fraxel and getting minimal improvement 😉

MemberMember
(@mr-president)

Posted : 10/04/2010 6:59 am

I'm really looking forward to get this procedure done next year.

I have a few bad boxscars which bother me the most. The rest is mostly small icepicks which I could treat with tca cross. But for the boxscars, no way, they're just too deep.

Of course I have to look for a good plastic surgeon which is gonna cost me a lot of money.

But hey, I think this is better than spending thousands of dollars for fraxel and getting minimal improvement 😉

you're absolutely right mate. plus the average excision is only around $250 per scar. thats at least 18 scars for the price of one fraxel repair treatment here in australia. so financially, its a good decision - not to mention you only need to do it once :)

MemberMember
(@jhabib10)

Posted : 10/27/2014 11:20 pm

Hi Mr Don.

My name is Jess and ive suffered with ice-pick and box scarring for as long as I can remember!!!! I have booked in for CO2 Lazer but am hesistant because of all these reviews about how non-effective it is and only treat shallow scars, I am so over it.

Ive had 5 Fraxel restore treatments and subcision and now C02. May I ask where you are going to get your punch excision done?? I cant find anywhere in Sydney,Australia that does this treatment for acne scarring.

Also are your box scars small or large?

Hope to hear from you,

Cheers,

Jess

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 10/28/2014 1:52 pm

i am really thinking about dermabrasion for the raised scars on my chin because laser did nothing for them. i asked the doctor about botox but he didnt seem to think that would help. what worries me is that i dont know if the doctor i have seen recently is good at dermabrasion. he sounds great and is pretty well known in the area but you never know how something like that is going to go. he wants to do the entire chin area so he will go over the raised scars until they are even with the rest of the skin and then he will do a light derambrasion over the rest of the area to blend it all in. its just so hard making the decision to do this because i saw one of the best plastic surgeons around to get 2 sessions of co2 (100% ablative) laser done on my chin last year and it did nothing. i live in pittsburgh, pa so if anybody knows of any doctors in or around the area that does dermabrasion please let me know. those pictures look great though and if i had results like that i would be ecstatic.

MemberMember
(@existenzqx)

Posted : 09/16/2015 9:04 am

I want to do excision, so should I go to a derm or plastic surgon?