Notifications
Clear all

Supplements for Post-Accutane Dry Skin

MemberMember
(@myleastfavoritemistake)

Posted : 07/12/2010 6:19 am

I took Accutane 6 years ago and my face is still dry. The dryness is irritating and itchy. I am hoping to find a cocktail of supplements that will help combat the dryness.

So far, I am researching and finding that MSM, Hyaluronic Acid, Glucosamine, Omega 3, Vit E, D, & C are the most recommended for dry skin.

Anything else? Or does anybody have experience in treating dry skin with supplements?

MemberMember
(@myleastfavoritemistake)

Posted : 07/13/2010 12:05 am

bump

MemberMember
(@quanta2998)

Posted : 07/13/2010 8:01 pm

I took Accutane 6 years ago and my face is still dry. The dryness is irritating and itchy. I am hoping to find a cocktail of supplements that will help combat the dryness.

So far, I am researching and finding that MSM, Hyaluronic Acid, Glucosamine, Omega 3, Vit E, D, & C are the most recommended for dry skin.

Anything else? Or does anybody have experience in treating dry skin with supplements?

Try a cold water shower. Shower in the morning in warm water as you usually do but then spend the last minute or so under cold water - seems to help me.

MemberMember
(@jatboomer)

Posted : 06/21/2013 1:40 pm

I am currently on a testosterone therapy for to help with really dry skin. I can't wash my face at all and I'm still dry and irritated and red. I hope it increases oil production permanently. Time will tell. I'm a male so hope it does not cause major problems!!! My skin is sooo dry that even topicals make it more red and irritated.

UPDATE

Dec2013. I'm on testosterone, hcg, and anastrozole. My skin is finally getting oil in it again 4 weeks into the treatment plan. My red face flushing is subsiding also. I need to wash my face with soap now to keep pimples away 1x/day. The goal is to continue 6 months or so (like the time length of an accutane cycle to retrain the oil glands to be larger... Permanently). At the end of the 6 month plan I will ease off the testosterone and continue the hcg, and anastrozole to help my testosterone levels from going too low. It seems to be working so far... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

UPDATE

Jan2014. I am on hcg and anastrozole at the present time. I went to my medical provider and my testosterone was way high; 1700 on a scale from (300-1100) She took me off of the testosterone and said I am producing enough... she thought I would be just fine with just the anastrozole. My skin has become more dry lately; still more oily than a few months ago, but not oily enough to wash with soap. I'm hoping soon the oil will return and my skin will once again be moisturized and NOT red from the dryness!! (I can't believe that now I have dry skin... before accutane my skin was really, really oily).

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/21/2013 6:04 pm

A good multivitamin is always a great place to start. Out of curiosity, why are you only looking for supplements and not topical applications? Topicals will moisturize your skin much better than supplements alone.