Notifications
Clear all

Hard Sebum inside every pimple and many pores need urgent help please

MemberMember
(@scarr)

Posted : 05/04/2010 5:27 am

As the title says, every pimple I have gotten for the past 6 months has been blocked with what seems like hard puss. I have learnt they NEVER go away unless I squeeze the stuff out which is at times impossible. I have to use pins to get inside the pores which does sometimes cause scarring and lately every pimple is leaving a scar. It started off about a year ago where after a pimple had disappeared, I found small holes in my ace that looked like scars. I squeezed at them once and a hard chunk of sebum came out and the hole healed itself. Now they are appearing everywhere and theres nothing I can do about it but watch my skin slowly deteriorate. I do not take any acne medications anymore but I was on Doxycycline for about 6-12 months before the first case of this happened. I also used Epiduo gel which is BP. As time went on it got worse and worse so I stopped all medication/treatments/BP. At first it seemed to clear up a bit and go away but now for the last 4-6 months it has been worse then ever and I don't know what to do. The hard sebum looks like blackheads but some are much bigger and longer whilst others are small but still cause a pimple and therefore need to be removed. Sometimes the only way to remove the larger ones is cause infection to the pimple which createsa bit of puss and loosens the hard sebum crap.

Need urgent help so sick of this scarring/scabbing and terrible skin that I have had to put up with. Wish I never touched any acne medication at all.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/04/2010 5:36 am

this is exactly what i get. And I too was on doxy for 6 months or so on and off.

Is there a link?

do not keep poking with pins etc or you will end up a scarred mess. I just leave mine be and apply BHA, eventually they will go away but they take rudy ages

i had one on my temple that i wish i left alone, its healing very strangely after i finally dug it out. it was literally on my temple under the skin for about 2 months. when i got it out, it was a hard piece of sebum, like dried snot! glad i got it out.

It must be that doxy has altered the state of our sebum?

MemberMember
(@scarr)

Posted : 05/04/2010 5:47 am

this is exactly what i get. And I too was on doxy for 6 months or so on and off.

Is there a link?

do not keep poking with pins etc or you will end up a scarred mess. I just leave mine be and apply BHA, eventually they will go away but they take rudy ages

i had one on my temple that i wish i left alone, its healing very strangely after i finally dug it out. it was literally on my temple under the skin for about 2 months. when i got it out, it was a hard piece of sebum, like dried snot! glad i got it out.

I am beginning to think there must be...

I am very careful when I use pins because often in the middle of the pimple there is an open pore which I can gently dig out the sebum but it's very risky.

I actually squeezed one out of my temple tonight that had been there a few weeks now and it also looked like how you explained yours.

And you say they do go away by themselves? I have a bad feeling mine are worse and deeper then yours.

I use to heal very well after removing them but now my skin seems weaker then ever probably due to Differin gel and BP.

Perhaps Doxy has messed up our sebum but shouldn't it return to normal after stopping? I thought for sure once I stopped everything would be fine but this is not the case.

Would I be better off getting the liquid or gel form of BHA? Or doesn't it really matter?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/04/2010 7:10 am

Is there a link?

I am beginning to think there must be...

I am very careful when I use pins because often in the middle of the pimple there is an open pore which I can gently dig out the sebum but it's very risky.

I actually squeezed one out of my temple tonight that had been there a few weeks now and it also looked like how you explained yours.

And you say they do go away by themselves? I have a bad feeling mine are worse and deeper then yours.

I use to heal very well after removing them but now my skin seems weaker then ever probably due to Differin gel and BP.

Perhaps Doxy has messed up our sebum but shouldn't it return to normal after stopping? I thought for sure once I stopped everything would be fine but this is not the case.

Would I be better off getting the liquid or gel form of BHA? Or doesn't it really matter?

yeah my temple has like healed where the sebum came out, but around it is still bleeding.. weird :S

.. looks slightly like someone stumpped a cigarette out on my temple plus i think i worsend it by applying bha to it before it had healed. Going to let nature do its thing on it now. I have an event coming up for which i need it to be healed by!

well mine stick around for ages, only rarely do they go away, they sort of sit there as a small lump and only flattens after i press them out. Since it makes a bump which i hate, i always push them out.

also mine are 80% at the root of a hair in my beard, eyebrow hair etc, although i do right now have 2 or 3 on my cheeks which are trapped under the skin, i dont want to poke them though or the mark will take ages to go

i guess thinking about it, they dont go away! this is why the one on my temple was there for ages! i thought if i left it alone it would clear.. nope!

but yeh the thing i used which helps get them out or at least in a better position to push them out is BHA.

It should return to normal, but who knows ? :(

its been a year since i was on that drug..

MemberMember
(@scarr)

Posted : 05/11/2010 3:42 am

This shouldn't be happening is there a cure? My skin is simply getting destroyed the longer I wait. Hate myself for ever seeking acne treatmeant, my scars weren't all that bad and now they are ugly. I continue to scar trying to remove these things from fingernails/large sebum chunks and its killing me. Will accutane help because i'm willing to try it, I just am not sure a doctor would prescribe it to me because it is a more non inflamed acne but since im scarring from it i'm kinda desperate.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/11/2010 10:08 am

well i dont know tbh, i thought it was for inflammed acne? ask?

if you dont pick them, you wont scare though will you/? i know it dont help much cuss if your like me I cant stand walking about knowing that if i "slightly" queezed here or there that it would come out and id "feel" better. shame i know i wont "look" better"

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MemberMember
(@scarr)

Posted : 05/11/2010 11:34 am

I'm not sure it seems as if whatever this sebum stuff is in my pimples and pores is like dried up puss perhaps?

Yeah I won't scar until I remove the blackhead and then after that not many leave a scar but a few do. Hopefully BHA works well on my forhead this is where they are worst and also my chin. Do you have to squeeze hard to remove yours? I no I usually do.

Mine often are slightly inflamed but when I squeeze no puss comes out only this stuff I mention. Sometimes it is moist and very rarely do my pimples have actual liquid puss anymore.

It's as if my face is permanantly dried out... double grrrrrrrrrrrr

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/12/2010 3:25 am

I'm not sure it seems as if whatever this sebum stuff is in my pimples and pores is like dried up puss perhaps?

Yeah I won't scar until I remove the blackhead and then after that not many leave a scar but a few do. Hopefully BHA works well on my forhead this is where they are worst and also my chin. Do you have to squeeze hard to remove yours? I no I usually do.

Mine often are slightly inflamed but when I squeeze no puss comes out only this stuff I mention. Sometimes it is moist and very rarely do my pimples have actual liquid puss anymore.

It's as if my face is permanantly dried out... double grrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah depends how far along the pimple is, mine is 50 50, its either liquid and not thick, or its hard dried sebum. yeah I have to squeeze hard on mine to get them out, normally discolours my skin and a bruise will be left for a good month. I can see one or two hard sebum plugged under my skin, I know I could squeeze it out, but i just cant deal with all the discolouration, so going to walk around with it in my skin... grr.

like I had this deep spot on my upper cheek about a month back and i squeezed it real hard, nothing happend apart from breaking the skin, this skin then scabbed, the scab then came off, then a white head appeard in its place, then i popped that but it was liquid, then it came back but was more of a nodule (pressure under the skin), squeezed it again and loads of juice liquid flew out lol how gross is that) and now its pinky in colour as i await it to die down.

dosnt help that a similar spot is trying to do the same thing about 2 cm up from that one... sigh

this is so annoying.

when will it end. Im 23 this year... i went thru puberty late but surely hormones should have balanced by now. i can grow a full beard etc.

MemberMember
(@scarr)

Posted : 05/12/2010 5:38 am

Yeah all of mine often leave bruises and scabs when I squeeze them which is not good. I don't know what causes them though I think if we hadn't taken Doxy they would all be pimples. Now this isn't all that much better apart from the fact that pimples disapear by themselves! These things don't.

I'm glad someone else is experiencing the same problem and I feel your pain. Do you get many of them? I get so many every week now and they have gotten worse since getting off Doxy. I manage to squeeze some out without leaving a mark but that is quite rare. Often I wont get all of it out either and it will scab up. The scabs usually moistens the wound and makes it easier to remove the rest once the scab has fallen off. This really sucks and I have no idea what to do. I'm only 18 but I will be a scarred mess by the time I'm your age if this continues.

I'm in the same boat, I can also grow a full beard and I'm beginning to think that it's worse because I probably get in grown hairs. I'm lost as to what to do I'm just going to change my diet and see if that helps at all.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/12/2010 5:50 am

Yeah all of mine often leave bruises and scabs when I squeeze them which is not good. I don't know what causes them though I think if we hadn't taken Doxy they would all be pimples. Now this isn't all that much better apart from the fact that pimples disapear by themselves! These things don't.

I'm glad someone else is experiencing the same problem and I feel your pain. Do you get many of them? I get so many every week now and they have gotten worse since getting off Doxy. I manage to squeeze some out without leaving a mark but that is quite rare. Often I wont get all of it out either and it will scab up. The scabs usually moistens the wound and makes it easier to remove the rest once the scab has fallen off. This really sucks and I have no idea what to do. I'm only 18 but I will be a scarred mess by the time I'm your age if this continues.

I'm in the same boat, I can also grow a full beard and I'm beginning to think that it's worse because I probably get in grown hairs. I'm lost as to what to do I'm just going to change my diet and see if that helps at all.

yeah vitamin a can help skin i hear. Also low fat diet can help. Low protein. however I cannot do this since I weight lift. Id like to know how my skin would be if I never took doxy.

when i first stopped doxy i got bad inflammed acne for a good 3 months. Now its clogged pores and nodules.

yeah well one week a wont have any, then suddenly quite a few crop up out of no where. I feel like I already am a scarred mess. I dont have pitted scars though thankfully.

yeah I know what you mean, sometimes the only way to get the skin that is plugged to go down is to physicaly pluck the hair out of the socket (and on the hair will be the hard sebum! which i then stick to the mirror)

then couple days later the skin will heal and only be slightly redish.

I love the mornings where the skin looks calm and not red.

Id LOVE to stop picking but when you get this its kind of impossible cause you know you can get it out the skin

IT SHOULDNT BE IN THERE LIKE THIS :(

rant over

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/12/2010 6:22 am

What usually does the trick for me is getting a good source of omega 3's.

Omega 3's always change the consistency of sebum making it easier to extract the puss from pimples.

Do you guys eat fish regularly or ever tried omega 3 supplements?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/12/2010 7:02 am

yeah i have heard this, but i think it gives me more spots. i could try it again, i do eat fish in my diet. maybe i shall try eating more.

is tuna ok

MemberMember
(@scarr)

Posted : 05/12/2010 7:05 am

Yeah I'm also about to start up weightlifting again which won't be good for my skin if I take supplements.

When I first stopped I only got these clogged pores and they were small and easy to remove for weeks. Slowly it's only gone downhill from there which is kind of a shock. I thought I'd just outgrown my acne perhaps..

Luckily for you, I do have pitted scars and even a finger nail scar or 2 from squeezing which makes me more frustrated.

I'd kill to not have to pick my skin, I wan't my old acne back not whatever this **** is!

DireStraits I currently don't intake much omega 3 fish oils because I heard it makes the skin not as good at healing but I'm not sure about this? Perhaps I will start but I am currently working on a few scars doing individual needling. I probably should be more worried about these sebum chunks but if they are not in the way of my scarring I might as well do both at once. It allows the needled scars to not be so noticable because of other spots on my face. Hopefully it doesn'y affect my healing at all?

I'f only I could turn back time, I'd either jump on Tane or live with my acne

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/12/2010 7:12 am

For me omega 3 supplements we're one of the few supplements which actually made an improvement to my skin, trust me on this i've tried a shitload i even had a holistic log where i experimented with diet and supplements.

Anyway Tuna and Fish are Great if you dont want to consume the supplements. I experimented dropping the omega 3 supplements and instead took up regularly eating tuna and fish and it pretty much did the same thing, changed the consistency of the sebum to a lighter colour and allowed me to extract the puss with ease.

Just back on omega 3 supplements, yes there are people on this board who have had not had the best experience with this, i guess its up to you guys to test it out. If you're not game on that then just eat fish.

All the best.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/12/2010 7:19 am

yeah i will go for the real food over supplements. as once i was taking a multivitamin and i found out it was this that gave me nodules above and between my eyebrows.

I try and go for the best protein weight gainer i can get hold of. i admit it probably isnt the best for my skin. this one i am taking now has beta cerotene added, which is a form of vitamin a, so maybe thats why i get hard sebum? since vit a dries the skin.

strange that yours started off easy then got worse. anychance of a pic?

so you have a few scars from picking? needling? how does that work?

Id be on the road to great skin if i didnt get these spots crop up on me constantly. :( whyyyyyyyyyyy

i find it more than frustrating that when you have tried everything from diets to antibiotics to doing nothing, to just find yourself going in circles.

or when you think you have found something that works a few weeks later stops magically working.

i wish i could go on a really long holiday where i dont no anyone and just forget about my skin problems

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/12/2010 7:32 am

yeah i will go for the real food over supplements. as once i was taking a multivitamin and i found out it was this that gave me nodules above and between my eyebrows.

I try and go for the best protein weight gainer i can get hold of. i admit it probably isnt the best for my skin. this one i am taking now has beta cerotene added, which is a form of vitamin a, so maybe thats why i get hard sebum? since vit a dries the skin.

Id be on the road to great skin if i didnt get these spots crop up on me constantly. :( whyyyyyyyyyyy

i find it more than frustrating that when you have tried everything from diets to antibiotics to doing nothing, to just find yourself going in circles.

or when you think you have found something that works a few weeks later stops magically working.

i wish i could go on a really long holiday where i dont no anyone and just forget about my skin problems

Dude if you're that frustrated and tried everything then you should seriously consider accutane. If you're >25 and still dealing with this shit you should seek at least a consultation with a derm to talk about your options.

How much longer do you want to go around this merry-go-round?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/12/2010 7:38 am

Dude if you're that frustrated and tried everything then you should seriously consider accutane. If you're >25 and still dealing with this shit you should seek at least a consultation with a derm to talk about your options.

How much longer do you want to go around this merry-go-round?

I hear you on that bud, I think it was heading that way with my doctor when i went to talk to him about it, and he put me on a form of cycline which was to hard for me to stomach so then put me on 200mg of doxy for about 6 months, then wanted to try 1000mg of erythromycin for 2 weeks which i said i would (but never did). Then i hear they put you on accutane after trying the first two with little or no long term sucess.

I dont regard my skin to be "that" bad to need it accutane tho, it's just i am the worst picker and that makes it all worse and blotchy. trouble is I cant stop picking, and I cant stop the new spots from occuring so what can i do really?

yeah it dont help when 3 or four crop up and makes me want to pick them to be "clear" :( its like my skin teases me.

accutane seems to hard core and scary, the side effects are just to scary, plus having really dry skin all the time would freak me out.

I have just excepted that my skin is the way it is and nothing can be done without producing another side effect.

my dad has booked me in with a private derm (head of the department) on monday after noon. so going to see what he has to say

MemberMember
(@scarr)

Posted : 05/27/2010 5:36 am

*%#@ this im going on accutane

you get a few of these things i literally have 20-30 of them at a time fed up with it

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/27/2010 7:54 am

hey scarr, i feel your pain ive recently squeezed 4 out my skin :(

im going to try differin and duac. if no luck then accutane for me also.

let me know what you decide ok :D take care bud x

MemberMember
(@corsair)

Posted : 05/27/2010 9:20 am

After taking antibiotics for so long, which I think is wrong since you should take antibiotics for two to three months until you are clear then stop, that use to happen. I think you need to use AHA so little by little eliminate those bumps. that happens to me once but then it went to normal, no more hard sebum. You can also use spot treatments with SA, like Effaclar AI or Vichy Normaderm Concentrate stuff. Antibacterial is also needed, like BP and essentials oils.

MemberMember
(@scarr)

Posted : 09/02/2010 8:27 am

After taking antibiotics for so long, which I think is wrong since you should take antibiotics for two to three months until you are clear then stop, that use to happen. I think you need to use AHA so little by little eliminate those bumps. that happens to me once but then it went to normal, no more hard sebum. You can also use spot treatments with SA, like Effaclar AI or Vichy Normaderm Concentrate stuff. Antibacterial is also needed, like BP and essentials oils.

I was unaware of any of this at the time. My doc told me I could stay on them for years until my acne is gone. Hell even the lad at the chemist told my mum he was on them for years and never had a problem. My dad told me all along never to take those anti biotics for such a long time.

Heres the problem

• They dont go away by themselves I had some sitting in my face for 6months plus wondering what these things were I assumed they were scars because some of the big ones just looked like holes in my face. Other were just a huge lump under the skin with a pore I knew was the only exit hole.
  • Think of acne and think of these, replace every pimple you get with these things...
  • If aha were to rid me of them it would rid me of 1 whilst 20 new ones appear in that amount of time
  • Theyre long/big/deep an the large ones are wide making them hard to extract from a small pore. Ive removed ones that are easily 5mm in length and atleast 2 that were bigger then that.

I havent heard of the other things you mentioned but ultimately do you think they will help? I have so many scars from these things so I actually want them gone for good!

hey scarr, i feel your pain ive recently squeezed 4 out my skin :(

im going to try differin and duac. if no luck then accutane for me also.

let me know what you decide ok :D take care bud x

They are a real pain do yours tend to leave scabs? Mine do due to the blackhead and also because of the force required and trust me I know you shouldnt pick.

I wish you good luck because I have had none yet.

I will inform you I am finally on Accutane and have just passed 2months. I cant say for sure whether its helping yet but ultimately it probably will after 6 months. My concern is mainly whether or not it will return.

I used to have really oily skin and since the anti biotics have had dry skin but all the sebum blocks up my pores it seems. I cant seem to explain it so I'll see what accutane does I suppose...

All the best mate :)

MemberMember
(@mr-president)

Posted : 09/02/2010 8:40 am

hey guys,

im almost finished accutane (in my second last month) and i have these too. i asked my derm about them today, mainly because all my other acne is gone and these remain.

he told me once a pimple dries out under the skin, you are left with hard sebum. he said they will never come out on their own and will need to be extracted.

he recommended i dont do this myself and to get it done professionally - to minimise the potential for any scarring.

anyhoo i hope this helps :)

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/02/2010 9:15 am

great info. scarr keep me updated!

mr sun, that makes sense, this is what happens to me all the time, anyway to stop this?

MemberMember
(@mr-president)

Posted : 09/02/2010 9:51 am

great info. scarr keep me updated!

mr sun, that makes sense, this is what happens to me all the time, anyway to stop this?

my derm said there wasnt and i would need to get them extracted regularly.

i think if you did regular peels on yourself, your skin couldnt become as clogged.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/02/2010 5:40 pm

good idea.

i think ive had a mini break through or at least something that could be looked at

basically i had this nodule in my eyebrow that i went hammer and tong at. ruined the skin. so right away i applied VASELINE and over the next few weeks (2 weeks) and it healed nicely and one morning whilst in the shower i like rubbed my eyebrow and felt this hard sort of stone (small clump of hard sebum) just roll out..!

so im thinking, if you keep the skin moisturised then eventually the hard sebum will have to give up, or turn soft?

i wonder what good peel i could do without over drying the skin