Bentonite Clay? WTF...

Notifications
Clear all

Bentonite Clay? WTF? Help me please!

MemberMember
(@chucky666)

Posted : 04/08/2010 6:59 pm

I am just wondering about this Bentonite Clay thing I seem to be hearing a lot about - has anyone tried it - does it work!? My acne has gone into overdrive recently and I have heard that this could be a solution?

First let me start by saying I am a man. I know - I know; modern men wear pink, cry at movies and talk about feelings and stuff, but I am not that highly evolved. I want to try this mask thing out but live in fear of being caught by my mates - girls underwear I can explain, but face masks!!?

Plus there is the whole thing of which mask? How do you mix it - I struggle making soup - this is another daunting problem.

I've also read that people eat this Bentonite Clay and it helps them to poo the toxins out - - how gross does that sound - - this appeals to me more because eating gross stuff is more Manly, however, I am faced with the same problem of HOW you go about it - do you just stuff it in your mouth or is there a speacial technique?

Lastly there is the problem of WHERE do I buy this stuff - I don't know clay from gravel and knowing my luck I'd order from a less than reputable vendor and get caught spreading manure accross my face - which would be even harder to explain!

Any help would be appreciated

Chuck

MemberMember
(@lemmy)

Posted : 04/09/2010 9:28 am

I am just wondering about this Bentonite Clay thing I seem to be hearing a lot about - has anyone tried it - does it work!? My acne has gone into overdrive recently and I have heard that this could be a solution?

First let me start by saying I am a man. I know - I know; modern men wear pink, cry at movies and talk about feelings and stuff, but I am not that highly evolved. I want to try this mask thing out but live in fear of being caught by my mates - girls underwear I can explain, but face masks!!?

Plus there is the whole thing of which mask? How do you mix it - I struggle making soup - this is another daunting problem.

I've also read that people eat this Bentonite Clay and it helps them to poo the toxins out - - how gross does that sound - - this appeals to me more because eating gross stuff is more Manly, however, I am faced with the same problem of HOW you go about it - do you just stuff it in your mouth or is there a speacial technique?

Lastly there is the problem of WHERE do I buy this stuff - I don't know clay from gravel and knowing my luck I'd order from a less than reputable vendor and get caught spreading manure accross my face - which would be even harder to explain!

Any help would be appreciated

Chuck

I tried it for about a month with no results - which to be fair may not be long enough for it to have a positive effect, but it seemed to be giving me little white Milia spots, and it's quite unpleasant on the face (it dries rock hard like cement, and scraches the surface of the skin because it's so coarse).

I bought it with the intention of swallowing it as a detox, but i could never bring myself to do it. Even from a reputable dealer, you can never be entirely sure what's in it.

Make sure when you buy it that it says 100% pure, pharmaceutical and/or cosmetic grade, or organic.

There's a product called 'Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay' which is made from 100% Betonite clay, and can be applied straight to the face without having to be made up - i always wanted to try it because it gets good reviews, but i've never been able to find it in the UK.

MemberMember
(@heathbar84)

Posted : 04/10/2010 12:01 pm

I have a bottle of pascalite (calcium bentonite powder) that I purchased off the internet about 2 years ago, I have made numerous masks with it (I usually scoop about a tablespoon or 2 of the powder into a bowl and then add about a teaspoon or less of water until it turns into a clay paste). However, every time I use it I either see no results or it breaks me out even worse the next day. How bentonite works is through its negative ions which attract the positive ions (toxins) in the body and draws them out through the skin. So I'm sure this breakout I'm seeing is due to the toxins coming to the surface of the skin, and if I were to continue using the mask every to every other day I might see better results, however the clay turns to rock on your face and you need a hot, wet cloth to rub this stuff off your face. I feel like doing this repeatedly is just more damaging then beneficial, plus it really dries my face out to the point that it hurts.

So bentonite may have its benefits, but I've also experienced the negatives too. As far as drinking it, you could mix it with water or juice and its supposed to draw the toxic positive ions out of the GI tract and then you poop it out (somewhat of a colon cleanse)...but you need to make sure you have the right form of bentonite before you do this because some clays are dangerous when taken internally. Try both ways (external and internal) and see if either gives you results. Good luck

Google "Pascalite, Inc." and you'll find the site I purchased my clay from. I bought the 16 oz. bottle for $11 and it'll last you a really long time.

MemberMember
(@kulf83)

Posted : 04/10/2010 1:19 pm

Hi, I use a clay mask sometimes so I thought I'd add my two cents here.

I use clay with sandalwood. Im not sure of how much it helps my acne. It makes my skin less oily and feels refreshing, so every once in a while I'll do it.

To mix it, what I do is just scoop some clay out into a bowl and add water with a teaspoon until i get a nice consistency.

MemberMember
(@mi55fit)

Posted : 04/11/2010 11:51 am

Bentonite Clay you can buy at the health food store in liquid form. You take a tablespoon mixed with juice on an empty stomach 2 times a day. It has no taste. It is for internal cleansing. I tried it also as a mask and all it did was dry me out. I didn't see any difference in my skin while using it, but I also have a very good diet and don't eat a bunch of crap anyway.

MemberMember
(@desparategirl)

Posted : 03/06/2014 8:58 pm

I have a bottle of pascalite (calcium bentonite powder) that I purchased off the internet about 2 years ago, I have made numerous masks with it (I usually scoop about a tablespoon or 2 of the powder into a bowl and then add about a teaspoon or less of water until it turns into a clay paste). However, every time I use it I either see no results or it breaks me out even worse the next day. How bentonite works is through its negative ions which attract the positive ions (toxins) in the body and draws them out through the skin. So I'm sure this breakout I'm seeing is due to the toxins coming to the surface of the skin, and if I were to continue using the mask every to every other day I might see better results, however the clay turns to rock on your face and you need a hot, wet cloth to rub this stuff off your face. I feel like doing this repeatedly is just more damaging then beneficial, plus it really dries my face out to the point that it hurts.

So bentonite may have its benefits, but I've also experienced the negatives too. As far as drinking it, you could mix it with water or juice and its supposed to draw the toxic positive ions out of the GI tract and then you poop it out (somewhat of a colon cleanse)...but you need to make sure you have the right form of bentonite before you do this because some clays are dangerous when taken internally. Try both ways (external and internal) and see if either gives you results. Good luck

Google "Pascalite, Inc." and you'll find the site I purchased my clay from. I bought the 16 oz. bottle for $11 and it'll last you a really long time.

I started using this recently and I have had it dry out my skin and make me break out more, but I have a feeling that it is what you said- pulling out what is stuck beneath the skin. I have been using this almost everyday. I have noticed my pores are A LOT smaller! It dries out skin pretty bad, kind of embarrassing going to school with flaky skin, however I know this is good for me. I have a feeling if I keep using this everyday for a few weeks I'll see an improvement, since the pores are shrinking and the ones that aren't clogged with zits don't appear to have as many blackheads anymore, almost all blackheads are gone now that I've been using this, however like I said the zits are there. I have a good feeling about this. I think the temporary dryness and irritation is worth it for me. I try my best not to scratch or rub too much. It used to be that every pore on my face was a black head or worse. ATM it is either unclogged or red and swollen.

I also have read about consuming it internally, I may add a little to my diet slowly to see how if at all it affects me.

I will post and try to keep you updated on any results positive or negative.

MemberMember
(@desparategirl)

Posted : 03/07/2014 9:25 pm

So I used it once again yesterday and today, I washed it off. My face was extremely dry. The results I get are as if I go a sunburn, however the redness does not stay long. It caused skin below my lip and above my chin to split and bleed. I used the mask a second time after coming home from school, however I avoided the area below my chin, and there was not any pain. It is working well. I also received some glam glow mask as a gift today, so I used that for spot treatment after the clay mask

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/08/2014 12:20 pm

The Bentonite Clay Mask from Aztecs Secrets on Amazon has a 5 star rating from over 1,000 people. Not sure if that's any indication of how useful it is though. But I've also been interested in trying bentonite clay or at least finding a good acne mask to use one or twice a week. I was previously using a broccoli-sulfur mask from Sircuit Cosmeceuticals but it's too expensive ($75) and I wasn't really seeing results.

Also, OP, as a male, I know how strange and disorienting it can feel having to start investigating different topical treatments and therapies, but unfortunately that's just part of dealing with bad skin. There's no quick fix either. Preventing acne involves making multiple and often drastic lifestyle changes, but that's just how it is. I often find it easier to justify using masks, getting chemical peels, etc. in telling myself that these are things I just have to do because I have acne. I spend more time on my skin than the average guy because I have a problem, and I am trying to deal with that problem.

MemberMember
(@acneveteran63)

Posted : 03/17/2014 9:02 pm

Please try 2000 - 4000 IU of D3 daily for 3 months along with a healthy diet. AHA and BHA weekly, BP when needed.

MemberMember
(@llendryl)

Posted : 04/08/2014 3:56 am

I've heard that Bentonite Clay is supposed to be brilliant at drawing out toxins in your skin, but is far too drying to be used multiple times a week as a mask. I've read that, instead, you can use it as a daily facial wash. Leave it on for a minute or so but don't let it dry on your face, then just wash it off with water. This is supposed to give it time to work (though presumably the results may take longer, though you're using it daily with this method so perhaps that balances it all out) without having time to suck all the moisture from your skin. If it still feels dry afterwards, you could use some tea tree or jojoba oil to hydrate your skin.

I've just bought some Clay from Amazon, so I'll be testing the method myself as soon as it arrives!

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 04/12/2014 11:17 am

I was so excited to actually find a company that sold bentonite clay in the UK, but it was a complete disaster for me. It is extremely drying, more than anything I have ever used in my lifetime. Two small bumps under my chin formed into cysts the very next day. So there sits my huge tub of bentonite clay along with all the other products that didn't save the day lol.