Notifications
Clear all

Does using computers too long cause acne?

MemberMember
(@misslao)

Posted : 02/11/2010 10:52 pm

I got a new computer during Christmas in 2008 and since then i've been getting acne. Its getting worse and worse. So, during the summer i went on vacation for 2 month where i almost did not use computers and my skin was clear. I came back to Canada with my same habit of using computers for 2-3 hours and got acne again. There's a little article here:

I'm having similar conditions as this guy. Anyways, i'm going to stop using computers for a month or two or use as less as i can.

My questions are: do you think that computer monitors cause acne and how can i limit my computer usage as i do homework on it?

Thank you

MemberMember
(@samesonganddance)

Posted : 02/11/2010 11:09 pm

If it's true were all screwed.

MemberMember
(@self-conscious)

Posted : 02/12/2010 12:28 pm

I've contemplated this before, but that's highly doubtful. I'm sure in some way or another it's a small correlation, but overall I'd say no.

My cousin and brother both had acne and never sat at a computer for more than 10 minutes a week. Although, those people sitting on there computers for 8 hours a day stuffing themselves with microwavable eats are asking for some acne.

MemberMember
(@missfig59)

Posted : 02/12/2010 6:34 pm

I need to see more proof with this because it sounds way too extreme without some scientific evidence to back it up.

The only thing I can see coming from this is the issue of people who spend too much time in front of things like computers and tvs. The lack of exercise and maybe poor diets could be creating an acne prone environment. *shrugs* I would love to see some articles and research on this.

MemberMember
(@west-coast_skater)

Posted : 02/12/2010 6:51 pm

i really really doubt it

MemberMember
(@rw000)

Posted : 02/12/2010 6:51 pm

If there was any significant correlation I would suspect there was reverse causation if anything.

Meaning: The more acne you have, the more time you spend on the computer (as to avoid people).

MemberMember
(@samesonganddance)

Posted : 02/12/2010 7:00 pm

If there was any significant correlation I would suspect there was reverse causation if anything.

Meaning: The more acne you have, the more time you spend on the computer (as to avoid people).

^this

MemberMember
(@infinitetime)

Posted : 02/12/2010 8:09 pm

I would find it hard to believe. I work in an office in a room of almost 200 people sitting in front of computers 40 hours or more a week. The majority of my co-workers don't have acne.

MemberMember
(@lara6)

Posted : 02/12/2010 8:28 pm

It's probably lack of vitamin D. The more time you spend inside, on the comp, the more acne you will have.

MemberMember
(@infinitetime)

Posted : 02/13/2010 1:26 pm

I would find it hard to believe. I work in an office in a room of almost 200 people sitting in front of computers 40 hours or more a week. The majority of my co-workers don't have acne.

There's a link between acne and vitamin D? A vitamin D supplement daily is a better alternative to basking out in the sun without sunscreen.

MemberMember
(@chovees)

Posted : 08/19/2012 3:35 am

At times, I feel the same way about playing video games and using the computer for long periods of time. However, I also realize that I touch my face a lot during my time on the computer. When my hands and/or keyboard/mouse are not clean, I'm probably transferring some of those germs over to your face. In addition, a computer screen radiates heat, which leads to sweat and/or oily skin. This is more likely to lead to acne breakouts than the computer monitor itself. I recommend taking frequent breaks and good drinks of water while on your computer. I hope this helps. hifive.gif

MemberMember
(@hopeforthebest)

Posted : 08/19/2012 10:02 am

i dont think so...

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 08/21/2012 12:47 am

Some people can get acne from usin computers, some people don't. For example, professional Starcraft players. They play around 10 hours a day with little to no acne. Google eGidra or eghuk or rootdestiny= pro gamers that play for hours a day. I think if u were to get acne from computer, it would be from touchin your face without noticing, poor air circulation and/or bacteria on keyboard and mouse. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 11/04/2012 3:30 pm

I think its possible. But like others have mentioned.. whether its directly related towards the screen is unknown. But I had a similar experience:

I recently bought a new computer and a new high Res screen about 3 months ago. Before those months my acne was non existent. About 2 weeks or less from using my new computer I had cystic acne..something I hadn't dealt with in years.

Before I used a laptop.. but only for an hour or so a day and my face was never close to the screen. My new screen is sitting on a desk, probably less then a foot away from my face and is 24inches wide.

Because of my new toy I admittedly spend much more time behind my desk.

I think their could be a connection.. but to what extent?? Idk.