Notifications
Clear all

What helped my cystic acne

MemberMember
(@bal5173)

Posted : 06/28/2009 8:22 pm

Forgive the lengthiness!!!

First, I'd like to say that for anyone with cystic acne, I understand how HORRIBLE it really is. I have suffered through years of HUGE cyst that seemed to connect and form one massive area of swollen, inflammed skin. I used to get such bad cyst on my chin area that it hurt to smile, talk, chew..and god forbid my son or someone accidentally hit my chin, excruciating pain was sure to follow.

I will tell you what has HELPED me recently. When I was 18 I started getting cysts and now that I think back I believe it was due to stopping my BC that I had been on since I was 16. I tried every product imaginable. I went to the doctor and she gave me some topical antibiotic and rentin a cream + antibiotic orally. It never worked.

After I got pregnant the cyst got better.(4 years of having cyst) My hormones evened out. After my son I got the Mirena(a birth control device implanted into cervix) and I never saw a cyst again for 2 years. I had no idea that the Mirena was probably the best thing to happen to me as far as evenly my hormones and preventing my acne. I still had oily skin/ dry skin and breakouts, but atleast it wasn't these horrible cyst. I was content for the most part.

I had rections to the Mirena to say the least, although i have tons of friends who love it. When it got removed I immediately got cyst. They got worse and worse and worse until I was just crying everynight, ashamed of my skin, didn't want to go anywhere or see anyone. God forbid my fiancee ever see my smile. It really takes an emotional toll on you. Again I was in pain and disgusted at how bad the cyst were.

I went to see a Skin doctor in Philadelphia, who apparently was the first one to use the Isolez machine and also the first to discover it cured acne. In short, I got 4 Isolez treatments. I probably would have gotten more but I ran out of funds. These DO make you break out at first because they pull from under the surface. But i think in the long run they help. My skin was significantly less oily and my pores smaller. I was pleased atleast with that, but I still had cyst, and couldnt afford anymore treatments.

I started using DDF with a high glycolic acid content. They have one with SA as well. I am convinced that the DDF glycolic acid wash plus the use of SA and occasionally use of tea tree oil (if the cyst is out of control--bc its harsh) has maintained my skin.

I now use either DDF glycolic acid wash or DermaDoctor's face wash for oily/acne prone skin. It also has glycolic acid and SA in it. The glycoloic acid reallllly helps shed the skins surface which is a major contributor to acne and esp. cystic acne. I also rec. something for oil control. I liked Kerenase's moisturizer, it was very matte and sucked up the oil. Like I said, the Isolez treatment really decreased the oil production in my face so I think that also has helped the acne.

After a few months I started seeing slightly clearer skin, but most of all it looked healthy and glowy, regarless that I had breakouts. It wasn't as oily and blotchy.

I use Dan's glycolic acid/licorice at night now and it helps to maintain that glow.

I probably have about 3 cyst right now (opposed to my 8 or 9) and they are decreased in size, not as painful or ugly and they are not new. Everyone knows how long it takes to get rid of them.

I also used Aleve and ice. Which I am convinced helped. Aleve controls the inflammation in the body which can lead to breakouts. Be careful with it though you cant take it too often, but if you feel a cyst coming, take 2 and lightly ice the spot.

My diet changed too. Bad food = acne because it triggers hormones. I cut out soda and switched to green tea. I cut back my coffee and other caffeine intake. I try to drink more water. I stopped eating all fast food unless i'm horribly desperate. I try and eat all whole grains, lots of protein and antinflammatory foods (you can find a list anywhere online). I think this is an important factor in controlling acne. I also try and withhold from cravings, bc as my skin doctor told me, its not the sweets or salty foods, but its giving into the hormone that produces those cravings, thus making the hormone issues worse.

And I try to never ever pick/touch my face. and always use clean towels, and gently wash my face (opposed to rough sponges etc)

I hope this helps someone. God knows I understand the torment of this condition. I hope my skin keeps getting better...I PRAY it does rather=]

Good luck

Beth

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/30/2009 12:47 pm

My diet changed too. Bad food = acne because it triggers hormones. I cut out soda and switched to green tea. I cut back my coffee and other caffeine intake. I try to drink more water. I stopped eating all fast food unless i'm horribly desperate. I try and eat all whole grains, lots of protein and antinflammatory foods (you can find a list anywhere online). I think this is an important factor in controlling acne.

It is. Because of the hormones, inflammation, nutrients, and many other reasons. Congratulations.

My skin cleared from diet and I'm positive that it was cutting out sodas and any other sugary drink that had by far the biggest impact. After I'd already learned that the cysts I used to get were an allergic reaction. You should consider that and try avoiding things for a period to see if it helps. Mine is to citrus, but dairy, wheat/gluten, soy, egg whites, peanuts, true nuts, and some others are more common.

MemberMember
(@amkrpa)

Posted : 07/01/2009 9:28 pm

Beth,

I have pretty much experienced the same thing as you. I had bad cystic acne in high school, took accutane and had a clear face for nearly 10 yrs.

I got pregnant with my daughter in November of 2004 and had the CLEAREST skin I have ever had during my pregnancy.

I had my daughter, and got the Mirena IUD about a month after she was delivered. My face was relatively clear except for minor breakouts. It slowly started breaking out more as time went on, but nothing horrible. Then I started to have issue with my IUD, I developed a large cyst on my left ovary that was said to be caused by the IUD. So I had it removed. Thus began the issues...

I went to the Patch, which was awful. It made my breasts swell and get incredibly tender and I had panic attacks and chest pain. I then switched to Alesse birth control pill, and m face continued to get worse. I switched to Orthotrycycline because my doc informed me it was good for clearing up skin. However, within the first week I got incredibly bloated to where I could barely button my pants. I had the onset of panic attack feelings (chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc) and quit this pill on the second week.

All of this caused my face to go into some sort of shock. It was not immediate, but approx. a month later my face completely broke out in huge cysts on my chin, nose, and cheeks. Not to mention tons of tiny unsurfaced bumps all over my face.

I tried Pantothenic acid for about 11 days (10mg a day) but the cysts kept coming. My period came and that seemed to help for a few days, but the breakouts came again. I went to the doc and was prescribed Tetracycline (I don't have insurance so could only afford to go to the health clinic and not a dermatologist). After debating on whether I wanted to take that route (I have tried antibio therapy before and it seemed to never clear the issue) I felt I had to do something. So I am now on day 5 of the antibio therapy. I thought initially it might be helping, but woke up this morning with 3 new bumps (not cystic but still large and painful). I have decided to reincorporate the Pantothenic acid (as I stopped several days ago and only took 3g in the morning with the rest of my vitamins) into my regimine, although it will be hard to do as I cannot take it without 2 hours of my tetracycline. So it will involve some disciplined scheduling...

Needless to say I am looking for any help or ideas, and I would be willing to try your method as our cases seem to be similar.

Forgive the lengthiness!!!

First, I'd like to say that for anyone with cystic acne, I understand how HORRIBLE it really is. I have suffered through years of HUGE cyst that seemed to connect and form one massive area of swollen, inflammed skin. I used to get such bad cyst on my chin area that it hurt to smile, talk, chew..and god forbid my son or someone accidentally hit my chin, excruciating pain was sure to follow.

I will tell you what has HELPED me recently. When I was 18 I started getting cysts and now that I think back I believe it was due to stopping my BC that I had been on since I was 16. I tried every product imaginable. I went to the doctor and she gave me some topical antibiotic and rentin a cream + antibiotic orally. It never worked.

After I got pregnant the cyst got better.(4 years of having cyst) My hormones evened out. After my son I got the Mirena(a birth control device implanted into cervix) and I never saw a cyst again for 2 years. I had no idea that the Mirena was probably the best thing to happen to me as far as evenly my hormones and preventing my acne. I still had oily skin/ dry skin and breakouts, but atleast it wasn't these horrible cyst. I was content for the most part.

I had rections to the Mirena to say the least, although i have tons of friends who love it. When it got removed I immediately got cyst. They got worse and worse and worse until I was just crying everynight, ashamed of my skin, didn't want to go anywhere or see anyone. God forbid my fiancee ever see my smile. It really takes an emotional toll on you. Again I was in pain and disgusted at how bad the cyst were.

I went to see a Skin doctor in Philadelphia, who apparently was the first one to use the Isolez machine and also the first to discover it cured acne. In short, I got 4 Isolez treatments. I probably would have gotten more but I ran out of funds. These DO make you break out at first because they pull from under the surface. But i think in the long run they help. My skin was significantly less oily and my pores smaller. I was pleased atleast with that, but I still had cyst, and couldnt afford anymore treatments.

I started using DDF with a high glycolic acid content. They have one with SA as well. I am convinced that the DDF glycolic acid wash plus the use of SA and occasionally use of tea tree oil (if the cyst is out of control--bc its harsh) has maintained my skin.

I now use either DDF glycolic acid wash or DermaDoctor's face wash for oily/acne prone skin. It also has glycolic acid and SA in it. The glycoloic acid reallllly helps shed the skins surface which is a major contributor to acne and esp. cystic acne. I also rec. something for oil control. I liked Kerenase's moisturizer, it was very matte and sucked up the oil. Like I said, the Isolez treatment really decreased the oil production in my face so I think that also has helped the acne.

After a few months I started seeing slightly clearer skin, but most of all it looked healthy and glowy, regarless that I had breakouts. It wasn't as oily and blotchy.

I use Dan's glycolic acid/licorice at night now and it helps to maintain that glow.

I probably have about 3 cyst right now (opposed to my 8 or 9) and they are decreased in size, not as painful or ugly and they are not new. Everyone knows how long it takes to get rid of them.

I also used Aleve and ice. Which I am convinced helped. Aleve controls the inflammation in the body which can lead to breakouts. Be careful with it though you cant take it too often, but if you feel a cyst coming, take 2 and lightly ice the spot.

My diet changed too. Bad food = acne because it triggers hormones. I cut out soda and switched to green tea. I cut back my coffee and other caffeine intake. I try to drink more water. I stopped eating all fast food unless i'm horribly desperate. I try and eat all whole grains, lots of protein and antinflammatory foods (you can find a list anywhere online). I think this is an important factor in controlling acne. I also try and withhold from cravings, bc as my skin doctor told me, its not the sweets or salty foods, but its giving into the hormone that produces those cravings, thus making the hormone issues worse.

And I try to never ever pick/touch my face. and always use clean towels, and gently wash my face (opposed to rough sponges etc)

I hope this helps someone. God knows I understand the torment of this condition. I hope my skin keeps getting better...I PRAY it does rather=]

Good luck

Beth

MemberMember
(@kendrawilliams070)

Posted : 10/02/2013 1:37 am

hi guys i need help idk what to do :( i have this huge cystic zit on the side of my eye by the temple i had another one just went down its still there and i have one on my chin that is goin but this one by my eye is just so big and work dealing with so many people a day i dnt have money so do u no of any home remadys im takeing zinc and in a week im goin to be getting some fish oil does ice help