Notifications
Clear all

cortisone dent

MemberMember
(@meg25)

Posted : 05/15/2009 6:03 pm

I had a small cyst injented with cortisone three weeks ago. It was the second time the dr. had injected the area (he had injected a cyst in the same spot 3-4 weeks prior). Because it was in the same spot, he said he was going to put more medicine in. He didn't even mention there could be any side effects.

One week after the injection, a large swelling appeared and I went in to see him, but he dismissed it. Several days later, a dent appeared at the site of the injection.

Now, 3 weeks since the injection, and the indentation has gotten worse (it is now a depression that runs up and down my forehead). I've read the previous posts about it, and most people say it should go away in 6 months. But, it's quite upsetting. Anyone who is self-conscious enough to get a cyst injected is obviously self-conscious, so Im not dealing with this well. Plus...6 months is a long time! And some people said it could take a year or be permanent.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone decided to seek treatment for these dents/depressions caused from cortisone i.e. seeing a plastic surgeon?

Thanks for your input.

MemberMember
(@juicygirl)

Posted : 07/12/2009 9:40 am

i have searched these boards up and down. And I have a dent in the middle of my forehead. I have the cyst injected in March. March 3rd. It's been 4 months...and not to discourage you but my dent is still there. I hear it can take up to 6 months or more. I just wish I knew my skin would go back to normal. But i'm becoming doubtful :( how is your dent now... have you seen improvement. Sometimes i think mine looks better but other times I think it looks so much worse. I feel like when people look at me.. thats all they see. I just want to hide. I'm sorry your going through this too :( If you have an advice for me as well.. anything would be great. I guess this is just a waiting game ...... it sucks.

MemberMember
(@mousie)

Posted : 07/12/2009 11:50 am

I had a cyst injected above my eyebrow in February. The cyst went away within 24 hours...but about a week later there was a very prominent dent that was also hypopigmented (lack of pigment). This was the first time I had ever had a cortisone shot so I wish he would have warned me. Anyway - this stupid dent kept looking deeper and deeper over the next few weeks. I was really upset and everything I read on the internet either said it would go away in about three months or that it would be permanent. BUT I would like to keep you a bit optimistic about it...my dent went away in literally 3 months to the day. I noticed in the beginning of April that it was starting to look a little smaller and then a couple of days later the dent had filled in. However - 3 months later (today) there is still a hypopigmented spot there. I can deal with the spot that is there now. The dent should definitely go away though. Cortisone depleats the collagen that's why the skin looks depressed where you received the shot - but it is supposed to regenerate in about 3 months.

MemberMember
(@juicygirl)

Posted : 07/12/2009 2:41 pm

Thank for the info. I can only hope for the best. I wish I could be dent free asap. Any other additional info from people .. and experiences with cortisone injections would be great. Thanks

MemberMember
(@jjaa18)

Posted : 09/29/2013 6:51 pm

Juicygirl did ur dent ever go away?

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 12/29/2014 2:07 pm

I have a permanent dent from two cotrisone injections into a pimple. The injections were over two years ago. It kills me every time I look in the mirror because I knew better. I told the doctor I was afraid of fatty atrophy but he reassured me if there was any denting it would go away in a few weeks. The problem is that he injected too deeply. The area between the two injections formed a triange dent. I was happy with just antibiotic and draining of the pimple but he pushed cortisone on me and now I hate looking the mirror and avoid being social most of the time. I have depression from what he did to me.

So, yes, the dent can be permanent but if the injections weren't too deep or too strong it often fills in again.

For me I wish I never went into his office or told him NO in a very firm manner.

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 01/02/2015 6:14 am

hi never have any acne injected with cortisone.there is a real risk of skin atrophy-dents scars dealt with this many years ago.I would wait a year or so and see if its healed right.if not I would get silicon 1000 injected in droplets injected into the dents/depressions easily the best treament by far for these issues.make sure your plastic surgeon or dermatoligist is very experienced in this because this is permanent