Notifications
Clear all

Would you try a CO2 laser?

MemberMember
(@degroot1)

Posted : 05/10/2009 11:57 am

Previously had dermabrasion and fraxel. Moderate results at best. DO you think that a CO2 laser would be a good way to go? Scars are some boxcar and some icepick. Mostly located on cheeks.

Thank you

MemberMember
(@lovemylife)

Posted : 05/10/2009 1:43 pm

I personally don't think anyone should do full CO2, it's very painful, lots of downtime, costly, and as you said, moderate results. . I have a variety of scarring, the typical orange peel look, some worse on my right cheek from recurrent breakouts there. I personally have had almost every conceivable facial treatment; dermabrasion (both machine and hand done), full face CO2, microdermabrasions, chemical peels, TCA cross treatments and fillers. However I have not had any regular Fraxel treatments (low settings for less downtime.)

I just had Fractional CO2 laser last week after doing research for months. I consulted with 3 surgeons and wanted the best results without the downtime of traditional CO2. One surgeon used Sciton Profractional (erbium) and recommended that along with the microlaser peel, and said he could get the same results as fractional CO2. But the surgeon I ended up choosing uses CO2, and recommended it for the best results. I don't know the exact level the machine was set on, or how deep he went, but I do know I had some bleeding and oozing for 2 days. It was not nearly as bad as the regular CO2 where I oozed and bled for a week, and then took another 2 weeks to heal. I am 5 days post and am still very pink and slightly swollen. The worst day was day 2, and then I peeled on day 3, and day 4 and 5 things are just getting better and better. I can already see improvement, however I am fully aware of the swell effect, and I know the true results will not be known for 4-6 months. My doctor did tell me I may need another treatment at this level, or I can do a few lower level treatments over the course of time. It's really a matter of how much downtime you can afford, this was pretty easy for me compared to dermabrasion and the previous CO2. I also had rhinoplasty revision done, so I'm healing from both and had the time to hide in the house for a week anyway. If my nose wasn't swollen today, I might be brave enough to venture out. I can still see the lines and pixels from the laser, and some areas are more red than others, but it can be covered up with good make up.

So, my opinion after having so many different treatments, do your research and try the fractional CO2. My doctor uses the Matrix machine, there is alot of info out there about it including some before and after pictures.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 05/10/2009 2:54 pm

Degroot, I have had Dermabrasion, CO2 and Fraxel Repair and Repair is the best by far. It takes more than one Repair for acne scars, and I am planning my 3rd this year in June or October. Do your research and pick your treatment and then find the best doctor who offers what you want. If left up to the doctor he will always recommend what he has. I was lucky enough to run into a doctor who told me Fraxel Restore was not what I was looking for.

MemberMember
(@lovemylife)

Posted : 05/10/2009 6:17 pm

Fraxel Repair is fractional CO2. Fraxel Restore is erbium, which is non-ablative and takes more treatments to see the effects. There are a number of companies who manufacturer the laser devices, most good plastic surgeons with alot of skin experience will have many different machines so they can offer what is best for each person. My surgeon recommended CO2 for my acne scars, but his machine can be set on lower settings and do basically what erbium does. I may do more of the lower level treatments in the future since there is less downtime.

I am also planning to do a "chemical laser peel", which helps with oil production and pore size (alot like the effects of accutane).

At 45 yrs of age, I hope to have these scars and any future acne zapped away!

MemberMember
(@emagasia)

Posted : 05/27/2014 2:28 am

I am trying Co2 Laser for my Acne Scars on Cheeks and Nose. I had undergone two treatments and waiting for my third treatment on next Tuesdays. The laser is ok but I am worry that it will leave scars on my face. If you have done a research on Co2 Laser, you know that there will be many tiny holes cause by the laser for resurfacing. I am worry that the tiny holes will stay permanently on my face. To the naked eyes, it looks like grid pattern. Quite annoying.