Notifications
Clear all

Male hormonal acne?

MemberMember
(@yn512)

Posted : 02/18/2008 10:20 pm

Hi, I'm 19 years old, second year of college.

I started breaking out for the first time in my life (other than very rare pimple) about a year ago at college. Since then, its gotten worse and i have gotten worse about dealing with it. I get incredibly stressed about things, and i have always been incredibly self conscious, and don't go out when i think i look bad.

Anyways, I break out right below the ends of my mouth. Its like if you were to draw triangles with the top tip being hte end of my mouth and the base being from my chin down the jawline.

My face is completely clear other than those two triangles below my mouth. I sometimes get pimples on directly on the front of my chin, but its usually off to the side. I also get them sometimes further up my jawline and occasionally above my lips.

Ive always thought it was due to hormones because I seem to get moody now, i also haven't had a romantic encounter in months because im too self conscious now.

Its really starting to get to me and I was hoping I could find something else to fix it. I have tried a lot of things by now and some work better than others but nothing works great.

So, does this sound like it could be hormonal, and if so, what should I do to fix it.

Thanks so much for reading this.

MemberMember
(@merf)

Posted : 02/18/2008 10:24 pm

I started breaking out for the first time in my life (other than very rare pimple) about a year ago at college. Since then, its gotten worse and i have gotten worse about dealing with it. I get incredibly stressed about things, and i have always been incredibly self conscious, and don't go out when i think i look bad.

Anyways, I break out right below the ends of my mouth. Its like if you were to draw triangles with the top tip being hte end of my mouth and the base being from my chin down the jawline.

My face is completely clear other than those two triangles below my mouth. I sometimes get pimples on directly on the front of my chin, but its usually off to the side. I also get them sometimes further up my jawline and occasionally above my lips.

Ive always thought it was due to hormones because I seem to get moody now, i also haven't had a romantic encounter in months because im too self conscious now.

Its really starting to get to me and I was hoping I could find something else to fix it. I have tried a lot of things by now and some work better than others but nothing works great.

So, does this sound like it could be hormonal, and if so, what should I do to fix it.

MemberMember
(@test-tube)

Posted : 02/18/2008 10:25 pm

There's not much to do hormonally as a male, you could try finasteride (propecia), a hairloss medication, but it never seemed to do that much for acne for the males I know. Spironolactone is notorious for side effects like breast development and sterility in men, and you're at a time period in your life when your body hasn't even stopped growing yet.

MemberMember
(@yn512)

Posted : 02/19/2008 12:52 am

merf said:
yn512 said:

I suggest you make an appointment with an endocrinologist and get tested for male hormones, specifically testosterone and DHEAS. Read the website [Removed], take the hormone quiz on that site.

MemberMember
(@mr-bigger)

Posted : 02/19/2008 7:49 pm

There's a huge thread on DIM in the Nutrition forum, I suggest you check it out!

MemberMember
(@beano84)

Posted : 02/20/2008 8:27 pm

Definitely check out DIM.

MemberMember
(@fraxelwaxel)

Posted : 02/20/2008 10:31 pm

stop drinking milk. milk comes from pregnant cows. pregnant mammals have super high levels of hormones, and the IGF hormone in cows and humans is identical so when it gets into ur system it acts the same. pig milk for instance wouldnt do that because their IGF is different.

second we pump artificial hormones into the cows to increase their milk yield. so they have even more IGF passing into their milk!!

i was skeptical until i cut out milk and saw my skin clear!

MemberMember
(@tonyz)

Posted : 02/19/2009 5:49 pm

I would not recommend DIM. I took DIM, taurine, and CDG for a month and i broke out bad along my jawline and chin.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/24/2009 8:46 pm

Acne is always hormonal, with the exception of clogged pores from topicals and environment. And diet, supplements, exercise and sleep affect hormones. There are many males on the nutrition board who have improved their skin.

Here's a couple of lists of success stories:

Success Compilation Thread, Links to threads of people who have become clear

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Success-C...ea-t172158.html

Holistically Clear Skin club

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Holistica...20&start=20

Have you tried zinc? Try zinc, b-complex, C and fish oil.

MemberMember
(@jayq)

Posted : 08/31/2009 5:00 pm

Acne is always hormonal, with the exception of clogged pores from topicals and environment. And diet, supplements, exercise and sleep affect hormones. There are many males on the nutrition board who have improved their skin.

Here's a couple of lists of success stories:

Success Compilation Thread, Links to threads of people who have become clear

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Success-C...ea-t172158.html

Holistically Clear Skin club

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Holistica...20&start=20

Have you tried zinc? Try zinc, b-complex, C and fish oil.

What are some supplements that help balance horomones in males and help stop hormonal acne? I only get acne on my chin and around mouth, mainly lower lip and all i have heard and read was this was hormonal. I have been trying strict diet, lots of fruits and veggies but still getting inflammed whiteheads. Are there any supps that def helps for this. All i take now is 50mg zinc and 500mg no flush niacin.

MemberMember
(@jn9230)

Posted : 09/13/2009 11:14 am

well i guess spironolactone isn't an option haha.

Don't rule it out yet.

I am a male on 150mg/day of spironolactone. There are lots of men on spiro. It is prescribed for men for high blood pressure, and as a diuretic. It is prescribe for women for acne because it is a DHT blocker (like Propecia). And because it is prescribed mostly to women for acne, there is this big false scare out there that men cannot take it, which is false. I believe spiro is safe for men, just like Propecia is safe.

Side effects are minimal, but what would you rather have, boobs or acne? I would rather have boobs, because I can always wear a shirt and cover up, but I can never cover my face... The worst side-effect is being thirsty and having to pee a lot, not having boobs.

Just my opinion...

Jn

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 05/10/2013 7:49 am

well i guess spironolactone isn't an option haha.

Don't rule it out yet.

I am a male on 150mg/day of spironolactone. There are lots of men on spiro. It is prescribed for men for high blood pressure, and as a diuretic. It is prescribe for women for acne because it is a DHT blocker (like Propecia). And because it is prescribed mostly to women for acne, there is this big false scare out there that men cannot take it, which is false. I believe spiro is safe for men, just like Propecia is safe.

Side effects are minimal, but what would you rather have, boobs or acne? I would rather have boobs, because I can always wear a shirt and cover up, but I can never cover my face... The worst side-effect is being thirsty and having to pee a lot, not having boobs.

Just my opinion...

Jn

Dude, I'm really sorry but I'd much rather have some acne than boobs. Think about what you're saying. The types of hormonal disruptions that can result from Spiro may be permanent - acne isn't.

MemberMember
(@mariesutton)

Posted : 06/05/2013 3:30 pm

You might have a condition called Fluoroderma which is a condition where fluoride causes cystic acne on the face especially around the mouth. I have this and the 1st week I started using a non-fluoride toothpaste I saw a huge improvement and am now 100% clear! This happened after years of being told I had hormonal acne even though hormone tests kept coming back normal. Thankfully i tried a new doctor and he knew about the condition. While you sleep fluoride is carried in your saliva when you drool. You may notice the side that you sleep on has the most acne.

Check out this article:

http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=535073

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/12/2013 5:07 pm

Spironolactone was actually used first in males for blood pressure. If you don't want feminizing effects (boobs) keep your dose lower (50mg or below). Honestly though few doctors prescribe spiro to women, and even fewer to men. So it's kind of a moot point.

The herbs that have been used to regulate hormones in males (and aren't strong enough to give you boobs) are:

saw palmetto

stinging nettle

pumpkin seed oil

vitamin b5

Saw palmetto and stinging nettle in particularly also help treat/prevent balding and prostate issues.

I would recommend starting with Life Extension Super K . Whatever you choose, don't just buy the first saw palmetto you see at Wal-Mart. You ened standardized extract with 85% or higher fatty acids. Anything else isn't potent enough to work.