Notifications
Clear all

I've noticed most people's acne comes back after Accutane.. ?!

MemberMember
(@pinkberri)

Posted : 11/25/2007 6:21 pm

I've been on this forum- and so many people are saying that acne comes back after accutane.

Is this true??

& I'm wondering. How bad was your acne before? and how much did it cure? How long did it take for it to start again?

I just finished a month.

If it's true that acne does come back, I want to stop accutane now.

Please help, thanks.

... So discouraged right now..

MemberMember
(@xcrossmyheartx)

Posted : 11/26/2007 12:46 am

If your acne is really severe, theres a chance it will come back. The chances are lower if your acne is just mild, but in my opinion, acne free for the rest of your life is worth the half-few years of accutane.

MemberMember
(@beany)

Posted : 11/26/2007 12:48 am

i think it seems like most peoples acne comes back because alot of people who have their skin clear start to not really come on this board anymore.. Thats what happened with me 2 years ago, my skin started getting really nice so i didnt come on here anymore...but then once it came back i also came back to the board. So you rarely hear the success story.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 11/26/2007 9:18 am

first time i went on accuntane it cleared for one month before returning!

HOWEVER.. it did massively help (i had severe, it then turned to moderate). I had bad back acne and that totally cleared from the course.

8 years on an im due to go back on it in a week.. i wish i had just gone back on it sooner. I really hope it works this time for good!!

MemberMember
(@madworld)

Posted : 11/26/2007 12:58 pm

I think the chance of permanent remission after one course is just a bit higher than 40% (or around 60% depending on what researches you look at) so it's pretty much half-half.

MemberMember
(@stovetop)

Posted : 11/26/2007 10:47 pm

Yes, it can come back..like it did with me

I was on accuatne about 8 months ago for 4 months(1 month at 40mg/day, 3 months at 80mg/day)....NOw that i am off it, i have been getting some mild acne i would say about 2-3 every couple of weeks. However, i do have a lot of scarring and my face is red.

I went back to my doc about 2 weeks ago, he said i should go on it again for 2 months at 80mg/day so i said yes and he gave me the prescription. HOWEVER, at home, i decided not to take it so i still have the prescription he wrote but have yet to tell him. I want to 'wait' it out b/c i don't like accutane and i want to get facial work done to reduce the scarring

MemberMember
(@bakesalee)

Posted : 11/29/2007 8:02 pm

I went on Accutane in 1997 when my acne became so severe that the doctor though if I didn't take it I would be scarred for life by my deep acne. It was at the point where my entire face (literally, yes) had a pimple.

The very next year, I couldn't get a pimple if I tried.

The year after that, mild acne returned for good. However, I am no longer getting any deep acne that presents risk of scarring. Beggers can't be choosers. I was once on the verge of becoming permanetly disfigured. Now I get some small pimples and freak out about them like I was back then. But sometimes I need reassurance that I'm taking it to far. If your doc wants to give you Accutane, do it, you may regret it later in life.

MemberMember
(@platinum007)

Posted : 11/30/2007 10:23 am

My cystic acne did not come back. I've been off Accutane since 3/07.

I now get the same kind of pimples that "normal" people get. Plus, they're cured by BP. Cystic acne is NOT helped by BP.

MemberMember
(@platinum007)

Posted : 11/30/2007 10:26 am

i think it seems like most peoples acne comes back because alot of people who have their skin clear start to not really come on this board anymore.. Thats what happened with me 2 years ago, my skin started getting really nice so i didnt come on here anymore...but then once it came back i also came back to the board. So you rarely hear the success story.
MemberMember
(@pinkberri)

Posted : 12/01/2007 2:06 am

May I ask you guys~ (for those where your acne came back after accutane) how bad was your acne BEFORE & AFTER when it came back??

i'm SO scared now :(

i really HATE accutane (the side effects) and i wanna stop now...

ESPECIALLY if it's going to come back... it's sooo frustrating.. =(

MemberMember
(@s-ram)

Posted : 12/11/2007 11:34 am

May I ask you guys~ (for those where your acne came back after accutane) how bad was your acne BEFORE & AFTER when it came back??

i'm SO scared now :(

i really HATE accutane (the side effects) and i wanna stop now...

ESPECIALLY if it's going to come back... it's sooo frustrating.. =(

MemberMember
(@kusoiyaro)

Posted : 12/11/2007 11:38 am

My cystic acne did not come back. I've been off Accutane since 3/07.

I now get the same kind of pimples that "normal" people get. Plus, they're cured by BP. Cystic acne is NOT helped by BP.

MemberMember
(@yvette2)

Posted : 12/11/2007 12:10 pm

Hi there-

My friend took Accutane 15 years ago (she is nearing 40 now) and her acne didn't come back. I'm just finishing Accutane now, and the results are amazing, and do hope it lasts awhile. It really clears out the pores and makes your skin super smooth. My Derm. said it can cure acne in many people, and if it doesn't, the acne that may return is very mild. She also said that Accutane clears out the skin and when the course is finished topicals are easier absorbed and work better on the skin to keep it clear. When I finish Tane at the end of this month, she said for me to use Retin A or Renova 3-4 times at night each week for maintenance. My Derm. also took Accutane and her face looks gorgeous. Anyway, I know you want more certainty, and nobody can guarantee you will be cured, but you will have clear and very smooth skin when done, and the right topical and skincare should keep you clear. Also, regarding your side effects, what dose are you on? If the side effects are too much, you can lower your dose a bit. Ask your Derm. about it. I was on 20mg a day most of my course, bumped up to 30mg the last few months. My acne was mild.

Wish you the best in your decision.

Yvette

MemberMember
(@id-rather-dance-with-you)

Posted : 12/11/2007 12:25 pm

"Accutane 'cures' about half of those people who take it so that they never need to do anything else for acne"

I also read on a dermatology website that most often, it is those who experienced severe acne who's acne may come back a while after the course is finished.

I personally think Accutane is great. :D

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 12/11/2007 12:35 pm

I had very severe scarring cystic acne before I went on Accutane 10 years ago. But I did not get to finish a whole course as I sustained a sports injury that required surgery and I had to stop taking the Accutane. I was more pissed about having to stop Accutane than about the surgery!

I was lucky and was totally clear after two-three months on Accutane with beautiful glowing smooth skin.

I did develop mild breakouts starting about five years? after my course. Never anything as severe, never as deep or painful a cyst as I'd had before. Oh my gosh, the pain.

With my current regimen my skin is clear with the occasional closed or open comedone. Rarely do I get an inflamed breakout and if I do, it's hormonal (less so with Aleve!) or related to something my skin does not like. The baby's hair brush is an excellent and if done properly (GENTLY!) extremely effective mechanical exfoliant. My chemical exfoliant of choice is glycolic acid.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 12/12/2007 2:15 pm

Ive just started my course of accutane today! Took the first pill about 2 hours ago.

Anyways My friend got clear from accutane and he used to get really big cysts, it wasnt all over his face but he had 2-4 Really really big cysts at a time on his face.

He's been clear from accutane for about a year and a half now but Ive noticed that recently he's started getting some mild acne for the first time in ages.

MemberMember
(@yadveer)

Posted : 02/23/2019 8:29 pm

I have moderate acne acne on my face. I took accutane for 2months only. After that i stopped it 1 1/2 month ago because accutane caused headache for me. I would like to take silk peel treatment now. I need to wait 6 months more or can continue the silk peel now? Because i took accutane for 2months only.pls advice me

MemberMember
(@robertlove)

Posted : 04/20/2019 2:00 am

I'm on my 3rd course. First course at age 20. Second course at age 22. Third course at age 30............