Notifications
Clear all

Resveratrol

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/09/2007 6:21 pm

Being the nerd I am,

I research a lot in regards to acne. I am into lifting, and a while I ago, I bought biotest's res-v. A little while I ago, I too testosterone boosters, which resulted in painful nodules all over my face. I immediately quit taking all lifting supplements cause I was scared to aggravate my condition any farther. I also got pretty lazy in lifting. Well recently I have decided to get back into it and I came across this bottle. I wanted to take it but, it said testosterone supporting formula, so I googled it and to my suprise Resveratrol is benefical to acne!

I put it in the search button and came across very helpful posts by autonomous. In my other thread, Jemini posted an interesting idea about PPARs and how they might affect acne.

Apparently resveratrol is a potent 5 lipoxygenase inhibitor. 5 lipoyxgenase converts arachinodic acid into pro-inflammatory leukotrines. According to the studies posted by autonomous, these leukotrines can stimulate the sebaceous glands. Arachinodic downregulates PPARs, which affect rxr receptors, just like how accutane works!

In additionm, resveratrol is a CYP1A1 enzyme inhibior. CYP1A1 is an ezyme that encourages the breakdown of retinoic acid which maybe be the reason why the cells in our skins begin to disfunction, resulting in hyperkeratinization.

Here is a study of topical resveratrol and acne:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20010056071.html

MemberMember
(@xebag)

Posted : 08/09/2007 10:49 pm

There's a substance in nature that's been the subject of a whole lot of worldwide research lately. It's called resveratrol and it's a polyphenol found in such foods as peanuts, grapes (and consequently, wine), and mulberries.

Resveratrol has a whole lot of good things going for it, but the one we're most interested in has to do with estrogen. You see, resveratrol acts as a potent estrogen antagonist (while also acting as an agonist in some tissues, similar to the drugs clomiphene and tamoxifen).

In higher concentrations, it acts as an aromatase inhibitor. That means that it stops the body from whittling away at your Testosterone.

This is cool because if a substance stops Testosterone from being converted to estrogen or estradiol, it not only prevents the nasty effects of estrogen (loss of muscle and strength and accrual of body fat), but it increases your level of Testosterone, leading to additional strength and muscle!

What's equally important is that it won't cause your Testicles to go on vacation, i.e. shrink. The testicles don't get a signal from the pituitary to shut down because estrogen has been curtailed!

There's a lot of good data in animal models to back this up. Studies have demonstrated a resveratrol-fueled increase in Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (the pituitary hormones that signal the testicles to start producing Testosterone) that's 2.7 times greater than placebo.

Additionally, resveratrol caused a 76% increase in sperm count, all of this without any adverse effects. (1)

The aromatase inhibition is thought to occur through two mechanisms: reducing the expression of aromatase, as well as binding to the enzyme and preventing it from doing its dirty work.

And, unlike conventional aromatase inhibitors, resveratrol doesn't cause a decline in endothelial (blood vessel) function. In fact, it seems to improve it! (2-12)

And remember those nasty xenoestrogens I mentioned earlier? Resveratrol seems to occupy the receptor sites, or biological "parking lots," so that these xenoestrogens can't "park" in their spots. That's good.

MORE GOOD STUFF

While athletes should no doubt be excited about these Testosterone-increasing, estrogen-lowering effects of resveratrol, male and female Life Extension people have been all over this substance for other reasons.

An overwhelming amount of literature on resveratrol has demonstrated potent cardiovascular benefits, anti-aging effects, powerful anti-cancer effects, anti-arthritic, and neurological effects (e.g. potential benefits in treating Alzheimer's Disease). Many of these benefits seem to stem from anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects as well as gene modulation. (13-21)

What the Life Extension people are most excited about, though, is that resveratrol might actually extend lifespan.

Remember those calorie deprivation people that believed you could extend your lifespan considerably by just munching on a ridiculously low number of calories each day?

Well, one proposed mechanism by which calorie deprivation can make you live longer is that it activates a protein called SIRT1 (sirtuin 1). Activation of this protein inhibits PPAR-gamma activity and this causes your body to burn fat.

It's not hard to imagine that having less fat might cause you to live longer, but remarkably, resveratrol activates this very same SIRT1 protein.

So even if you're not concerned with extending your life at this point, resveratrol can cause your body to burn fat.

Maybe you've heard of the "French Paradox" (and no, it has nothing to do with why their star soccer player would head butt a guy in the finals of the World Cup)?

It's the medical puzzle where certain populations (French and Greek) seem to experience a low incidence of coronary heart disease while eating a diet high in saturated fat. Epidemiologists have reasoned that it has to do with their daily consumption of red wine.

Well, many researchers have gone one step further and concluded that it was the resveratrol in the wine that was responsible for the French Paradox. (22-25)

This miracle substance has also been shown to have impressive anti-fungal and anti-viral properties, and may even protect the liver from excessive alcohol consumption or oxidative damage from taking too much acetaminophen. (26-39)

If all that wasn't enough, there's a good deal of data demonstrating that resveratrol is an extremely promising compound for the prevention and treatment of prostate cancer! (40-48)

So if taking Testosterone-boosting supplements has made you wary before because of possible prostate risks, resveratrol seems like the answer to your prayers.

QUIT TEASING ME

Quit teasing you? Oh, okay.

If there's an exciting compound out there, Tim and I want it; we want it for ourselves and we figure that if we want it, chances are you want it too.

That's why Biotest has been working on the isolation of pure resveratrol for the last year, and why we're introducing our newest supplement, REZ-V. Each bottle of REZ-V contains 72 tablets of the purest, highest-grade of resveratrol possible.

Our recommended dosage of REZ-V is three tablets once per day. It's best to take one large dose of resveratrol, instead of several smaller doses, because of the way it's metabolized. In essence, you want to overwhelm the body's ability to inactivate and excrete resveratrol, which is done through sulfation and glucuronidation (adding sulfate and beta-glucuronide groups).

This "overwhelming" process is accomplished at about 200 mg taken in one shot. A three-tablet dose contains 300 mg of pure resveratrol, which is also the dose we believe delivers the greatest benefit for the least cost.

Unlike a lot of other supplements, REZ-V doesn't have to be cycled. In fact, because of the super-powerful health and protective benefits, we recommend all males over 18 take REZ-V every day.

With REZ-V you get the following possible benefits:

a Acts as both an estrogen antagonist and an aromatase inhibitor.

a Increases Testosterone without causing testicular shutdown

a Promotes blood vessel health and cardiovascular health in general

a Exhibits anti-cancer effects, particularly anti prostate-cancer effects

a Exhibits anti-aging effects

a Promotes fat loss

a Has anti-inflammatory properties

a Acts as an anti-oxidant

a Exhibits anti-arthritic effects

a Shows anti-fungal and anti-viral effects

a Acts as a liver protectant

Excuse me for saying so, but that's all pretty damn cool.

The cost for this wonder supplement? An extraordinarily low $34.99 per bottle. That's a whole lot of benefit for not a whole lot of money.

Whether you're interested in increased Testosterone and decreased estrogen, along with reduced levels of body fat, or just want to be healthier and possibly live longer, REZ-V has got to be part of your daily supplement arsenal.

References

1. Juan ME, et al. "trans-Resveratrol, a natural antioxidant from grapes, Increases sperm output in healthy rats." J Nutr. 2005 Apr;135(4):757-60.

2. Bhat KP, et al. "Estrogenic and antiestrogenic properties of resveratrol in mammary tumor models." Cancer Res. 2001 Oct 15;61(20):7456-63.

3. Henry LA, Witt DM. "Resveratrol: phytoestrogen effects on reproductive physiology and behavior in female rats." Horm Behav. 2002 Mar;41(2):220-8.

4. Matsumura A, Ghosh A, Pope GS, Darbre PD. "Comparative study of oestrogenic properties of eight phytoestrogens in MCF7 human breast cancer cells." J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2005 Apr;94(5):431-43.

5. Bowers JL, et al. "Resveratrol acts as a mixed agonist/antagonist for estrogen receptors alpha and beta." Endocrinology. 2000 Oct;141(10):3657-67.

6. Lu R, Serrero G. "Resveratrol, a natural product derived from grape, exhibits antiestrogenic activity and inhibits the growth of human breast cancer cells." J Cell Physiol. 1999 Jun;179(3):297-304.

7. Turner RT, et al. "Is resveratrol an estrogen agonist in growing rats?" Endocrinology. 1999 Jan;140(1):50-4.

8. Bhat KP, Pezzuto JM. "Resveratrol exhibits cytostatic and antiestrogenic properties with human endometrial adenocarcinoma (Ishikawa) cells." Cancer Res. 2001 Aug 15;61(16):6137-44.

9. Wang Y, et al. "The Red Wine Polyphenol Resveratrol Displays BI-Level Inhibition on Aromatase in Breast Cancer Cells." Toxicol Sci. 2006 Apr 11; E-Published Ahead of Print

10. Wallerath T, et al. "A blend of polyphenolic compounds explains the stimulatory effect of red wine on human endothelial NO synthase." Nitric Oxide. 2005 Mar;12(2):97-104.

11. Lekakis J, et al. "Polyphenolic compounds from red grapes acutely improve endothelial function in patients with coronary heart disease." Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2005 Dec;12(6):596-600.

12. Buluc M, Demirel-Yilmaz E. "Resveratrol decreases calcium sensitivity of vascular smooth muscle and enhances cytosolic calcium increase in endothelium." Vascul Pharmacol. 2006 Apr;44(4):231-7.

13. Labinskyy N, et al. "Vascular dysfunction in aging: potential effects of resveratrol, an anti-inflammatory phytoestrogen." Curr Med Chem. 2006;13(9):989-96.

14. Bhat KPL, et al. "Biological effects of resveratrol." Antioxid Redox Signal. 2001 Dec;3(6):1041-64.

15. Bradamante S, et al. "Cardiovascular protective effects of resveratrol." Cardiovasc Drug Rev. 2004 Fall;22(3):169-88.

16. de la Lastra CA & Villegas I. "Resveratrol as an anti-inflammatory and anti-aging agent: mechanisms and clinical implications." Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005 May;49(5):405-30.

17. Delmas D, Jannin B, Latruffe N. "Resveratrol: preventing properties against vascular alterations and ageing." Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005 May;49(5):377-95.

18. Valenzano DR, et al. "Resveratrol prolongs lifespan and retards the onset of age-related markers in a short-lived vertebrate." Curr Biol. 2006 Feb 7;16(3):296-300.

19. Marambaud P, Zhao H, Davies P. "Resveratrol promotes clearance of Alzheimer's disease amyloid-beta peptides." J. Biol. Chem 2005 Nov;280(45): 37377-37382

20. Molnar V, Garai J. "Plant-derived anti-inflammatory compounds affect MIF tautomerase activity." Int Immunopharmacol. 2005 May;5(5):849-56.

21. Elmali N, et al. "Effect of resveratrol in experimental osteoarthritis in rabbits." Inflamm Res. 2005 Apr;54(4):158-62.

22. Kopp P. "Resveratrol, a phytoestrogen found in red wine. A possible explanation for the conundrum of the 'French paradox'?" Eur J Endocrinol. 1998 Jun;138(6):619-20.

23. Constant, J. "Alcohol, ischemic heart disease, and the French paradox." Coron. Artery Dis. 1997; 8:645 a 649.

24. Das, D K, et al. "Cardioprotection of red wine: role of polyphenolic antioxidants." Drugs Exp Clin Res. 1999;25(2-3):115-20.

25. Soleas GJ, Diamandis EP, Goldberg DM. "The world of resveratrol." Adv Exp Med Biol. 2001;492:159-82.

26. Wyke SM, Tisdale MJ. "Induction of protein degradation in skeletal muscle by a phorbol ester involves upregulation of the ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway." 2006 May;78(25):2898-2910

27. Tisdale MJ. "The ubiquitin-proteasome pathway as a therapeutic target for muscle wasting." J Support Oncol. 2005 May-Jun;3(3):209-17.

28. Wyke SM, Russell ST, Tisdale MJ. "Induction of proteasome expression in skeletal muscle is attenuated by inhibitors of NF-kappaB activation." Br J Cancer. 2004 Nov 1;91(9):1742-50.

29. Borra MT, Smith BC, Denu JM. "Mechanism of human SIRT1 activation by resveratrol." J Biol Chem. 2005 Apr 29;280(17):17187-95.

30. Picard F, et al. "Sirt1 promotes fat mobilization in white adipocytes by repressing PPAR-gamma." Nature. 2004 Jun 17;429(6993):771-6.

31. Wolf G. "Calorie restriction increases life span: a molecular mechanism." Nutr Rev. 2006 Feb;64(2 Pt 1):89-92.

32. Ingram DK, et al. "Calorie restriction mimetics: an emerging research field." Aging Cell. 2006 Apr;5(2):97-108.

33. Roth GS, Lane MA, Ingram DK. "Caloric restriction mimetics: the next phase." Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Dec;1057:365-71.

34. Tian WX. "Inhibition of fatty acid synthase by polyphenols." Curr Med Chem. 2006;13(8):967-77.

35. Kasdallah-Grissa A, et al. "Protective effect of resveratrol on ethanol-induced lipid peroxidation in rats." Alcohol Alcohol. 2006 May-Jun;41(3):236-9

36. Sener G, et al. "Protective effects of resveratrol against acetaminophen-induced toxicity in mice." Hepatol Res. 2006 Apr 1; E-Published Ahead of Print

37. Docherty JJ, et al. "Effect of resveratrol on herpes simplex virus vaginal infection in the mouse." Antiviral Res. 2005 Sep;67(3):155-62.

38. Jung HJ, et al. "Fungicidal effect of resveratrol on human infectious fungi." Arch Pharm Res. 2005 May;28(5):557-60.

39. Palamara AT, et al. "Inhibition of influenza A virus replication by resveratrol." J Infect Dis. 2005 May 15;191(10):1719-29.

40. Yoo KM, et al. "Potent Inhibitory Effects of Resveratrol Derivatives on Progression of Prostate Cancer Cells." Arch Pharm (Weinheim). 2006 Apr 18;339(5):238-241

41. Jones SB, et al. "Resveratrol-induced gene expression profiles in human prostate cancer cells." Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005 Mar;14(3):596-604.

42. Scifo C, et al. "Resveratrol and propolis as necrosis or apoptosis inducers in human prostate carcinoma cells." Oncol Res. 2004;14(9):415-26.

43. Kim YA, et al. "Antiproliferative effect of resveratrol in human prostate carcinoma cells." J Med Food. 2003 Winter;6(4):273-80.

44. Stewart JR, Artime MC, O'Brian CA. "Resveratrol: a candidate nutritional substance for prostate cancer prevention." J Nutr. 2003 Jul;133(7 Suppl):2440S-2443S.

45. Ratan HL, et al. "Resveratrol a a prostate cancer chemopreventive agent?" Urol Oncol. 2002 Nov-Dec;7(6):223-7.

46. Aggarwal BB, et al. "Role of resveratrol in prevention and therapy of cancer: preclinical and clinical studies." Anticancer Res. 2004 Sep-Oct;24(5A):2783-840.

47. Aziz MH, Kumar R, Ahmad N. "Cancer chemoprevention by resveratrol: in vitro and in vivo studies and the underlying mechanisms (review)." Int J Oncol. 2003 Jul;23(1):17-28.

48. Delmas D, et al. "Resveratrol as a chemopreventive agent: a promising molecule for fighting cancer." Curr Drug Targets. 2006 Apr;7(4):423-42.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/10/2007 2:46 am

Being the nerd I am,

I research a lot in regards to acne. I am into lifting, and a while I ago, I bought biotest's res-v. A little while I ago, I too testosterone boosters, which resulted in painful nodules all over my face. I immediately quit taking all lifting supplements cause I was scared to aggravate my condition any farther. I also got pretty lazy in lifting. Well recently I have decided to get back into it and I came across this bottle. I wanted to take it but, it said testosterone supporting formula, so I googled it and to my suprise Resveratrol is benefical to acne!

I put it in the search button and came across very helpful posts by autonomous. In my other thread, Jemini posted an interesting idea about PPARs and how they might affect acne.

Apparently resveratrol is a potent 5 lipoxygenase inhibitor. 5 lipoyxgenase converts arachinodic acid into pro-inflammatory leukotrines. According to the studies posted by autonomous, these leukotrines can stimulate the sebaceous glands. Arachinodic downregulates PPARs, which affect rxr receptors, just like how accutane works!

In additionm, resveratrol is a CYP1A1 enzyme inhibior. CYP1A1 is an ezyme that encourages the breakdown of retinoic acid which maybe be the reason why the cells in our skins begin to disfunction, resulting in hyperkeratinization.

Here is a study of topical resveratrol and acne:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20010056071.html

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/10/2007 2:51 am

Invest Dermatol. 2006 Nov;126(11):2473-80. Epub 2006 Jun 15. Links

Skin retinoid concentrations are modulated by CYP26AI expression restricted to basal keratinocytes in normal human skin and differentiated 3D skin models.Heise R, Mey J, Neis MM, Marquardt Y, Joussen S, Ott H, Wiederholt T, Kurschat P, Megahed M, Bickers DR, Merk HF, Baron JM.

Department of Dermatology and Allergology, University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany.

Cellular levels of all-trans retinoic acid (RA) are meticulously regulated utilizing an array of systems to balance uptake, biosynthesis, catabolism, and efflux transport. Metabolic transformation of all-trans RA to 4-hydroxylated RA appears to be primarily catalyzed by the cytochrome P450 (CYP) 26AI. Analysis of monolayer cultures of normal human epidermal keratinocytes (NHEKs) and dermal fibroblasts by quantitative real-time PCR and reverse transcription-PCR revealed no basal levels of CYP26AI mRNA expression, whereas specific transcripts were detectable following addition of 10(-6) M all-trans RA. Immunofluorescence and Western blot analysis showed a weak expression of CYP26AI in NHEK, which was increased by stimulation with all-trans RA. Using a newly developed peptide antibody, we further examined the localization of CYP26AI expression in normal skin and three-dimensional (3D) skin models. In contrast to cell culture monolayers where CYP26AI was only weakly detectable, strong constitutive expression of CYP26AI in vivo and in organotypic culture was found to be restricted to basal epidermal keratinocytes, as well as eccrine sweat glands and sebaceous glands. These studies verify the capacity of human skin to metabolize RA, although substantial differences exist in CYP expression between normal skin and 3D skin models compared to monolayer cultures. Complex metabolic processes that maintain retinoid homeostasis may therefore be better studied in model systems more closely resembling in vivo skin. In light of our prior studies documenting the functional activity of RA metabolites, expression of CYP26 in the sebaceous gland epithelium supports the suggestion that altered RA metabolism may be involved in the pathogenesis of acne.

PMID: 16778795

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/10/2007 7:48 pm

Thanks Autonomous!

I'm not sure about that either. Earlier I was looking for some topical spironolactone, and discovered only a couple research companies had it. I wonder if taking resveratrol orally would have the same effect as applying it topically.

That said, I noticed that a topical spironolactone was proven to be effective in treating acne. They had to use a proper vehicle though, since it was metabolized too quickly. This leads me to believe that some how androgens and PPARs are related. Because, there are many women who take these anti androgens and have good results. Their oil production decreased dramatically and their acne disappeared. Same thing with accutane, it accepts 1 the RXR receptors, but has no known effects on androgen levels/binding.

There was an interesting discussion which you were involved in, but I can't seem to find it. All I remember is it discussed the different PPARs and how any ppar agonist would stimulate the oil glands. (Something about fish oil helping others will making others worse) I think the delta receptor was key in inflammation..I forgot.

So basically I think androgen receptors and PPARs are some how related.

In the study I posted, it looks like resveratrol corrects hyperkeratinization.

What puzzles me is that resveratrol, is suppose to support testosterone and preventing it from aromatizing to estrogen. Would'nt that mean for DHT and thus more oil and acne?

Even though eicosanoid (made from fish oil) binds to these receptors, it still has the potential to stimulate sebaceous glands.

Another thought..maybe the reason why we don't see the benefits of these supplements that are suppose to inhibit these receptors is because we don't get enough of it into our bloodstream. Got me thinking about accutane, and how its basically a mega overdose of 13 cis retinoic acid. We certainily would'nt see those effects by taking standard doses of vitamin A.

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/10/2007 7:53 pm

Man, there are so many enzymes and receptors and blah blah that it makes my head spin!

A little short off topic question!

What are you're thoughts on saw palmetto. I've read conflicting research where Saw palmetto helps with acne, while others say it only specifically blocks and inhibits androgens in the prostate.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/11/2007 12:23 am

Man, there are so many enzymes and receptors and blah blah that it makes my head spin!

A little short off topic question!

What are you're thoughts on saw palmetto. I've read conflicting research where Saw palmetto helps with acne, while others say it only specifically blocks and inhibits androgens in the prostate.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/11/2007 12:51 am

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 08/11/2007 1:17 am

Interesting.. This is silly, but I used to use a product for razorburn (I used it bikini line) that I'd grab up from Rite Aid with Resveratrol, & Bromelain in it as main ingredients. It worked well, but it was made for guys, for all I could tell. Can't recall the name of it right now.

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/11/2007 1:21 am

I got another study on topical Spiro:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4543351.html

Dang, so we don't know exactly how these PPARs work! I know people mentioned agonists to bind to these receptors, but are there any known antagonist that "shuts" them down?

True, I read a study where acne patients had normal levels of testosterone. Another study showed that, although they have regular test levels, they have higher levels in the local area of the sebaceous glands.

I'm not sure if its preserving the testosterone or what. The post right after mine. (second one) is taken from t.nations site. I know its kind of a long read, but it explains what resveratrol actually does. I am currently taking 100mg. I hope this dosage isn't enough to up my test and screw up my hormones.

Wait, isnt linoleic acid a omega 6 acid? I read somewhere that people actually take it to reduce sebum and it is an active ingredient it Clearogen's lotion, which is suppose to supress oil? Hmmm I maybe wrong though. I'm kinda confused now. Aren't eicosanoids made from Omega 3, which is suppose to be good for you? Omega 3 SHOULD be able to reduce you're sebum since it binds to the PPARs. But like you said, the activation and activity of these receptors are still iffy. You did mention though that you had good results with fish oil.

Hmm, thats too bad you didn't have success with saw palmetto. If it is and l4 blocker, then it should help with acne, since it does have the ability to stimualte the sebaceous glands. Through my research, I have learned that DHT inhibitors like dutasteride, finasteride, and SP tend to make peoples acne worse , while acutally anti androgens work very well.

What are you currently doing for your skin, if you don't mind me asking!

Thanks for the discussion! It really is interesting to explore these ideas. I'm going to be off to college in the fall and am considering to take classes that involve all this stuff

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 08/11/2007 11:28 am

Thanks for the discussion! It really is interesting to explore these ideas.
MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/11/2007 3:43 pm

and lastly 'high insulin levels, which can have an influence on the enzyme delta 5 desaturase, leading to the production of AA, should be avoided.'
MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 08/12/2007 7:05 am

V.interesting.

Maybe the fact that we aren't eating leaves etc.. that most other herbivores do, means we aren't getting enough chlorophyll which used to be a staple part of the early human's diet..?

Perhaps one of a few factors in all this.

It would appear then that something like insulin resistance wouldn't give you acne unless you already have that predisposition to acne due to.... i suppose it appears it is fault lipid metabolism.

One thing i have yet to learn is what role the liver plays in all of this.

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 08/12/2007 9:42 am

Also, could you give this little desripition of sesamin a read through: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/san/ses.html

Sure you can make clearer sense of how it connects to acne than i can. I've heard of a lot of anecdotal claims that it definitely helped people with acne by a noticeable amount.

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/12/2007 12:11 pm

Hey Guys!

Sorry I haven't gotten into it yet! I've been real busy and I needa go to work today. Ill definitely get to it after though

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/12/2007 3:49 pm

Also, could you give this little desripition of sesamin a read through: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/san/ses.html

Sure you can make clearer sense of how it connects to acne than i can. I've heard of a lot of anecdotal claims that it definitely helped people with acne by a noticeable amount.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/12/2007 4:30 pm

What are you currently doing for your skin, if you don't mind me asking!
MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/12/2007 9:55 pm

Listener,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I don't think we, in general, take enough fish oil to acutally make a difference. For the most part of our lives, we've eaten really unhealthy, with all those processed foods, which promote the "bad" type. Simply taking a couple of fish oil pills a day is no where near enough to promote these good eicosanoids in helping our acne.

Like I mentioned before, its like Accutane. That is a mega dose of cis retinoic acid. Simply adding a vitamin A supplement would not be enough to make a difference.

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/12/2007 10:07 pm

Autonomous, sweet research!

The chlorophyll idea is very interesting! I know its found in a lot of leafy greens, those which most of us lack.

The thing is, we don't know for sure exactly how these receptors work. I read that there are conflicting studies where certain receptors, when activated or binded to, either increase or decrease sebum.

If you guys check out my topic "Topical Spirololactone, there is pretty good information about PPARs and androgens. Basically, Jemini stated that DHT is not a big culprit of acne. It is the PPARs and maybe some DHT which causes excessive sebum. But wait, women who take anti androgens have great success! So that must mean androgens play a role in acne. Well sort of, PPARs apparently create dimers by binding with other receptors, possibly the androgen receptors. So through hormonal therapy, we are basically shutting down these androgen receptors, leaving the PPARs unable to bind to them.

I also thought you're other studies were interesting. So basically, you're theory is that the ALPHA receptor is responsible for the creation of apolipoprotein a1? I remember you stating that acne maybe a way of our bodies saving us from a heart attack. Accutane suppresses these glands, which is why our enzymes or something go up. It makes really good sense. The only thing is that I can't understand why then, would acne only start up at puberty, and for most people, end after it??

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/12/2007 10:11 pm

Listener,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I don't think we, in general, take enough fish oil to acutally make a difference. For the most part of our lives, we've eaten really unhealthy, with all those processed foods, which promote the "bad" type. Simply taking a couple of fish oil pills a day is no where near enough to promote these good eicosanoids in helping our acne.

Like I mentioned before, its like Accutane. That is a mega dose of cis retinoic acid. Simply adding a vitamin A supplement would not be enough to make a difference.

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/12/2007 10:11 pm

I came across berberine in this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...erine&st=20 .

They posted the same studies as autonomous. I guess PPARs play a pretty big role in acne.

There is some really good info by flipside. Check it out

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/12/2007 10:22 pm

Autonomous, sweet research!

I also thought you're other studies were interesting. So basically, you're theory is that the ALPHA receptor is responsible for the creation of apolipoprotein a1? I remember you stating that acne maybe a way of our bodies saving us from a heart attack. Accutane suppresses these glands, which is why our enzymes or something go up. It makes really good sense. The only thing is that I can't understand why then, would acne only start up at puberty, and for most people, end after it??

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/13/2007 1:45 am

Ahhh alright, gotcha!

So basically chlorophyll, fish oil, berberine and possibly resveratrol as natural supplements.

I think the reason this stuff would work better topically as because it would applied locally and directly affect the receptors in the glands responsible for acne, given that it has a proper vehicle and is readily and easily absorbed.

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 08/13/2007 1:14 pm

oh yea! sesamin also activates ppar alpha, forgot about that one as well.

where did you read these claims?

MemberMember
(@thetruth24)

Posted : 08/13/2007 4:57 pm

I know I probably stated this before, but on wikipedia it says:

"All PPARs dimerize with the retinoid X receptor (RXR) and bind to specific regions on the DNA of target genes."

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't isotretinoin affect the RXR? If so, it leaves PPARs unable to dimerize with anything, and thats why accutane works?

It just puzzles me that every sign points to androgens, as the real culprit of acne. I mean Kids don't have acne. They touch their face with greasy hands, eat horrible food, but have clear skin! It is only when they hit puberty and hormones surge through their bodies that acne beings to show up. Likewise, many people outgrow acne, relatively close to when puberty ends.

Also, although the key could be, to find something to bind to these receptors, we are unsure of what it would do. There is a possibility it would increase/decrease sebum.

Androgens MUST play a role in PPAR dimerization.