Notifications
Clear all

is oatmeal bad for acne?

MemberMember
(@alliask)

Posted : 01/12/2004 8:33 pm

i eat about 2 servings of oatmeal a day, and i was wondering if it contributes to my acne. i read on a site that oatmeal is safe for acne; it could be a substitute for wheat. i'm not sure though. i usually have the oatmela with skim milk too. anyone has any idea?

MemberMember
(@viper)

Posted : 01/12/2004 9:34 pm

Oatmeal does contribute to acne, at least for me. I went on Dan's regimen and was clearing up nicely, the last four weeks and only 1-2 new zits (2 months in). I eat oatmeal once every six months or so when i have nothing else to eat in my dorm and have no money to order take-out. I decided to have oatmeal and the next day I had 6 or 7 new pimples. I'm never touching oatmeal again. At least not until I outgrow my acne.

MemberMember
(@njacobs)

Posted : 01/12/2004 9:52 pm

Oatmeal is PURE EVIL!!! evil.gif Oatmeal killed my dog!

MemberMember
(@katie_s)

Posted : 01/12/2004 10:14 pm

I avoid oatmeal at the moment because I'm loving being clear and don't want to risk it right now, however, I may try to add it back at some point. Basically, and I'm sure sweetjade can offer more insight, if your acne is caused even in part by a gluten intolerance, then oatmeal may contribute to flareups.

MemberMember
(@specialk)

Posted : 01/12/2004 10:33 pm

lmfao... DAN please get in here and tell them that oatmeal does not cause acne

MemberMember
(@ludacrisss)

Posted : 01/12/2004 10:35 pm

lmfao... DAN please get in here and tell them that oatmeal does not cause acne
MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 01/13/2004 12:58 am

LOL and DAN while you're at, please explain why you put up a links (see below) that directly disputes that "bacteria causes acne" theory. Instead it actually says what we all know. that hormones is what causes most peoples acne (unless using bad skincare). =)

"Obstruction of the pilosebaceous canal is the primary cause of acne and occurs because of a variety of factors. The first factor is sebum overproduction stimulated by hypersensitivity to androgenic steroids. Excess sebum production combined with increased epithelial cell turnover leads to formation of microcomedones, which can progress to open comedones, commonly termed "blackheads," or to closed comedones, often called "whiteheads" (Figure 1).

The combination of sebum and desquamated cells provides an environment that is ripe for the growth of Propionibacterium acnes, the principal organism in inflammatory acne lesions. Proliferation of P. acnes leads to the conversion of sebum to free fatty acids, which are irritating and stimulate the immune response, leading to the development of inflammatory lesions5 (Figure 2). The stages of acne are illustrated in Figure 3."

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000115/357.html

While this is debatable, I won't dispute that bacteria can play a role for certain skin disorders, but we ALL have bacteria, among other organisms living on or within us. Not to mention, while we all have P. acnes, we DON't all have excess sebum or even a normal amount. There MUST be another reason why Oily Skinned and Dry Skinned both get acne and.....that would usually be hormones (the start of it all).

Indeed another link mentions that DHT (super testosterone) in the sebaceous gland is the reason 90% of acne sufferers have excess sebum, excess skin cell growth, poor natural exfoilation, and of course....Inflammation. Whereas the other lucky 10% (that would be me) actually just produce too much DHT, etc throughout our bodies which affects more than just our skin =(

Please understand that what I'm referring to goes beyond the "chocolate and greasy foods" myth, although for some there is a bit of truth to that. It's not always about us eating "bad" foods, but more so usually that we are eating foods that are really GOOD at helping our bodies create hormones and when we eat too much of these, we produce too MUCH hormones.

Of course, by the above explanations we can undestand and appreciate The Regimen and how it works....but it doesn't work for everyone. Those people it doesn't work for deserve to know that there are other successful options.

So, if you can grasp the above, I don't understand why it is soo hard for people to comprehend that Glucose will Spike your Insulin and Fat levels and from there your body will take that fat and produce more HORMONES! Whle that's a highly simplified version (more detailed ones floating around), from there you can be overwieght, obese, arthritic, hyperthyroid, PCOS, Diabetic, etc and of course there are those of us that also get ACNE.

See, getting ACNE from the wrong diet, lifestyle, or environment, is NOT a Guarantee, it's an OPTION and well....based on our genetics, our bodies CHOSE that option. It could always be worse and for some....it might be =(

So, I ask, Why won't anyone explain to me why something that NO doctor should EVER dispute (they've been learning some of this since college), not to mention the ENDLESS Scientific Studies, performed by DOCTORS and RESEARCH Students that continue to support how our diet affects our hormones, is sooo hard to comprehend?

I would GREATLY appreciate it =)

"The exact cause of acne is unknown, but doctors believe it results from several related factors. One important factor is an increase in hormones called androgens (male sex hormones). These increase in both boys and girls during puberty and cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum. Hormonal changes related to pregnancy or starting or stopping birth control pills can also cause acne. "

http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/acne/acne.htm

"Hormonal control of sebum

Sebum production is under the control of sex hormones (androgens). The most active androgens are testosterone, 5-testosterone (DHT) and 5-androstene-317diol. These hormones and others are made by the sex glands (ovary in females, testis in males) and by the adrenal gland. These glands are in turn under the influence of the pituitary gland, located in the brain.

Androgens are made more active by enzymes in the skin and sexual organs. Type 1 5- reductase acts in the skin and Type II 5- reductase acts in the sexual organs. These enzymes convert less active androgens into the active testosterone and 5-testosterone (DHT). These more active androgens stimulate sebaceous gland cells to produce more sebum."

http://www.dermnetnz.org/dna.acne/sebum.html

Click on the other links under General Info and you'll more of the same

http://www.dermnetnz.org/dna.acne/

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 01/13/2004 1:11 am

Alliask,

There's a lot of debate as to whether Oatmeal contains a problematic protein known as gluten. Some Celiacs eat it, but most don't. I actually very rarely eat it. So during the Holidays I picked up a box of

Wheat Free, Milk Free, and Hydrogenated Oil free Oatmeal & Rasin Cookies.

So I eliminated the other factors in hormonal acne production and a few days later I still ended up with 2 medium sized cysts. Stopped eating the cookies and I haven't had cyst since. So...I won't be eating any more oats 😉

At one point, I was helping Acneman with his skin and he's a weight trainer so it was hard for him. He was eating oatmeal though and I don't remember if he had to give it up for better results. I do know that he said his body acne cleared and his face and scalp was less oily. Oh and that he couldn't even tolerate whole wheat pasta. Most people, end up eliminating wheat...

The best thing to do is to not eat oatmeal for 2 weeks. Then proceed to eat it again, only this time use water (if it's instant), so that u can try to eliminate milk as a cause. If you breakout in a few days (with the same type of acne), then you have your answer.

Did that help any? 😉

MemberMember
(@alliask)

Posted : 01/13/2004 1:27 am

thanks a lot for the information and advice! i'll try to give up oatmeal for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

in the meantime, i'm not really sure what to replace oatmeal with... bah, diet is becoming such a hassle. i had been eating oatmeal because i had heard that cereal, bread, yogurt, deli meats, burgers, and so many other foods can cause acne. so in the morning and afternoon i would just eat oatmeal along and fruits because it was healthy, convenient, and filled me up.

i really don't know what to eat anymore!!!

i always end up just eating fruits and veggies and some tofu but it doesnt really fill me up or provide sufficient nutrients.

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 01/13/2004 1:42 am

Awww, you can eat burgers and deli meats. Eat them by themselves or use Lettuce (or some other leaves) as your "bread". Or you can try and see if you can handle (the taste) of Gluten Free Breads.

You can also eat dried fruits, rice cakes (check ingredients), Taco Bells Rice Bowls and Crunchy tacos, Hormel Chili, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Nuts (no peanuts), and Seeds, etc.

What things do you like to eat? Maybe we can find you something similar or a healthier version =)

MemberMember
(@ty)

Posted : 01/13/2004 9:21 am

SweetJade, How old are you? Are you in school and or have a Job? where do you find the time to research all these bogus theories and speculate on methods to treat acne. Please provide us with a picture of your porcelain complection, inspiration to follow your crazy diets.

Oatmeal is great, eat up your oatmeal!

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 01/13/2004 10:11 am

I am in school studying Biology and Psychology and now I understand why these two go hand in hand more then ever, especially when you are trying to help people improve their health. My goal is to become a Nutritionist or Dietician and then maybe I'll go further and become a Licensed Naturopathic Physician. It's very similar to being a Medical Doctor in terms of education standards, except that the BIGGEST difference is that there are 100s of hours focused on studying Clincal Nutrition instead of the 20 - 50 hours Medical Doctors put in (some it's optional). http://www.dralexvasquez.com/alternativemedicine.htm (scroll down midway for comparison on Med vs. Naturopath schools)

I have time to research this because some of this I do for credit and some of this I do to further understand how on earth Topical Anti-androgens, Prescription Anti-Androgens (Birth Control and Spiro), Accutane Anti-androgen, B5 therapy (somewhat anti-androgenic), Insulin Sensitizing Anti-Androgens (that was a BIG giveaway), and Dietary Changes (anti-androgenic but mainly BALANCES hormones) can ALL do the SAME thing....but for some, Diet just does it better!

Myself and an ever increasing number of other sufferers , have found the right dietary changes to be far better at vastly improving or clearing our acne (depends on how "strict" you go), along with improving and eliminating other health/hormonal problems. I have other Nutritionists and Medical School Students that were also acne sufferers that cleared their acne in similar dietary fashion. So NOTHING I say is bogus, I've got doctors, nutritionists, and other science and medical students that can back me up and have......countless and tireless number of times (why do you think they leave?).

Ty, you do what you want, but telling someone to eat something that is problematic for other acne suffers seems counterproductive in helping to clear their acne. You'll NEVER hear me say The Regimen, etc are Bogus and I would appreciate that you would have enough respect for myself and those that need MORE than a topical solution, to let them find their answers elsewhere.

Thank you

MemberMember
(@njacobs)

Posted : 01/13/2004 1:17 pm

Please provide us with a picture of your porcelain complection, inspiration to follow your crazy diets.

Oatmeal is great, eat up your oatmeal!

MemberMember
(@smee)

Posted : 01/13/2004 4:41 pm

Alright listen, what SweetJade writes makes a lot of sense. njacobs you criticize every diet related post on here but you never have anything to back you up except "studies have show that acne is not related to diet". Well from what I've seen at least 80% of people on here have some foods which aggravate their acne and that, to me, is much more meaningful than any study out there. Acne is very complex and the medical community still knows very little about it otherwise there'd be a magic pill we could all take by now. So to assume that a study can 100% prove that there is no connection between diet and acne is just stupid. Now nobody is saying that diet is the sole cause for acne but for many sufferers some foods aggravate it.

MemberMember
(@alliask)

Posted : 01/13/2004 7:30 pm

i personally believe that acne is triggered by food. of course, there are people who can eat whatever they want and never break out, because they are not acne prone, similar to 3 year olds. i know that whenever i eat peanut butter or roasted nuts, i break out.

sweetjade, i am pretty busy so usually i prefer foods taht are quick and convenient... hence the oatmeal. i like foods that are warm and filling, so i can go through a day of class without worrying about my stomach growling! would you recommend that i eat canned pork n beans? those are pretty good.

MemberMember
(@alliask)

Posted : 01/13/2004 7:32 pm

oh, and i forgot to mention yogurt. i know its a dairy but im not sure if it makes me break out.

MemberMember
(@njacobs)

Posted : 01/13/2004 7:32 pm

Alright listen, what SweetJade writes makes a lot of sense. njacobs you criticize every diet related post on here but you never have anything to back you up except \"studies have show that acne is not related to diet\".
MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 01/13/2004 9:15 pm

Njacobs,

In case you didn't notice, I wasn't telling YOU to not eat oatmeal. I was suggesting a scientific way (based on observation) for someone to determine if a particular food is problematic. If it is, don't eat it and if it isn't, then keep eating it or repeat again (for confirmation). In this case, it's just that simple.

As for your's and Ty's question, message boards are usually anonymous and I prefer not to have my picture on here just as I am not at all interested in viewing any of yours. I've poured my heart out on these boards and I don't need my face (even with the eyes blocked out) traced back to me somehow so that people may know how severe my acne was (body acne practically anywhere Scalp, Face, Eyebrows, nose, ears, neck, upper arms, armpits, chest, back and I could go even lower). Yet, even though I don't have body acne anymore, it's still painful and I don't know when I would ever be ready to tell anyone (other than an acne sufferer) that I used to have it. It just feels bad because, no one should have acne, let alone to that degree...or worse

Not to mention, I didn't take Before and After pictures, which is the ultimate in proof 😉 Anyone who really wants to chart their progress should do so, it will really help you see things "clearly." Anyway, did you ever DEMAND pictures of those cleared from BP, BHA, RetinA, Birth Control, Accutane, Spironolactone, etc???? Well, neither did I, but it didn't stop me from BELIEVING in the doctors, the clincal trials, and in the testimonials for me to try them =) This is faith, science, and result based. I don't lie and I trust that most people on here do not lie as well.

If you don't trust me, then surf this board and other acne boards and you will find that there are MORE testimonials around dietary changes. If you dont believe them, then I don't understand why you believe that people shouldn't eat Hydrogenated Oils and Refined/Processed food. Do you understand WHY those are bad for people in general? Do you understand the basis for which even Whole Oats, Wheat, and other Grains can be problematic? If you do great, if you don't....well your own personal RESULTS after eliminating them will speak for themselves.

I'm glad that You and Ty are clear, but there are others that aren't. Just because you may have chosen the wrong diet, just as many have chosen the wrong topicals, doesn't mean that there isn't a right diet out there for others! Along with that, it doesn't mean that topicals won't help others, but the thought and realization of NO Topicals, No Supplements, and NO Medication on the RIGHT Hormonal Balancing Diet is far to beautiful and healthy of an option to pass up =)

Those that have done everything, shouldn't have to continue suffering just because the WRONG Dietary changes, didn't work for some of you. Over the past 16 years (I'm 23), I didn't get it right the first, second, or even third time....it was only until I became further Educated and more Knowledgable about all the many things that I share with the board, that I finally understood WHAT I did wrong. It's a shame that all those years were wasted, but I would hate to see other Deserving and DETERMINED people looking for an answer continue to have these precious years wasting away too.

Thanks to my former Endocrionolgist (the best) and MANY Helpful, Smart, and Sweet people on these boards, I follow a Gluten Free/Low Grain Diet 100%, and also avoid peanuts, cashews, cherries, bananas, soda, and usually candy. Considering that Wheat is in 90% of most prepared/packaged foods, I have naturally reduced my refined/processed food consumption by 60% and my Dairy consumption by 80%. So "for the Record," I've been 99% clear for almost 1 year now (95% clear for 6 months PRIOR). I also have NO menstrual cramps, less hirsutism, less oil, smaller pores, and am on NO Meds, Supps, or Topicals!

Yes, sometimes I get acne sporadically, but that 1% of acne (2 - 4 pimples wherever) is better than that 20% - 40% ACNE that I was still dealing with while I was on Birth Control & Spironolactone (3 years), OR Avandia and Sprinolactone (1 year), along with whatever prescription topicals (topical antibiotics) I was on! Oh and also "for the record," No, I do Not have any allergies nor food intolerances, at least that's what the doctor said when he tested me, yet my results still speak for themselves 😉

So, while I don't avoid ALL of the foods on the "bad" list, I do avoid most. Since I work and go to college, it was MY decision to this the "long" way (reverse elimination diet). I believe that everyone should do this at their OWN Pace, and now I am ready to step it up 😉 I am currently focusing on safely eliminating hydrogenated oils, Refined Foods, and Dairy, for those that do, are 100% clear 😉

Despite whatever you perceive, I don't tell people what to do, nor am I all about "the diet". I supply information of ALL kinds (hormonal testing, meds, supps, etc) and it is up to them to use it wisely. On the other hand, until you can use CURRENT Scientific Peer Reviewed Studies to back up and explain to me how Diet couldn't possibly effect our hormones, I have nothing more to say to YOU.

Best of luck

MemberMember
(@smoot)

Posted : 06/23/2011 8:08 pm

I really question why so many Western Medicine practitioners are so adament that foods, or drink for that matter, do not contribute to acne. I don't want to get into a whole thing here, but I would imagine it has something to do with all the money that is spent on cleansers and topical creams and ointments.

BUT I DIGRESS

Diet plays a HUGE role in my fight with acne. I am 26, about to turn 27, and have had normal acne like anybody else. Before I begin, I have to mention that although I've never been officially tested, I do not believe I have an intolerance to gluten as I've been a loving consumer of the stuff my whole life without any ill effect. But, about a month ago, because of rising milk prices, I switched my cereal from daily shredded wheat w/ milk (which I've never had a problem with), to daily oatmeal with water. I didn't know the cause at the time, but all of a sudden I was having an onslaught of cystic acne I could NOT control, mainly on my forehead and IN my eyebrows. They were huge, painful, and ugly beyond belief, and I didn't know why. I continued to eat oatmeal each day, and everytime one pustule would heal, another ugly twin would reappear. This has been going on for 4 WEEKS. I had to take a step back and try to find the underlying problem. I wash my face everyday, and don't have persistant problems with cystic acne. The only other time I've battled cystic acne was when I discovered I was drinking A.) Too much coffee, coupled with B.) NO water during the day. I reduced my coffee intake, and also upped my water intake, and POOF! Cystic acne gone.

What have I done about the Oatmeal? Well, I stopped eating the stuff all together about a week ago and my face is clearing. It's not 100%, but I have not had any new cysts since I stopped eating Oatmeal. I don't feel as if 2 servings once in a while will hurt my complexion, as I haven't gotten that far in my experiement yet, but I do feel oatmeal consumed every day was the cause of at least MY CONTINUED cystic acne problem for the last month.

I can cope with a pimple or two once in a while, but my problem with cystic acne is seemingly ALWAYS diet related. Too much caffeine, coupled with dehydration and now it appears, Oatmeal. Don't try to convince me diet has nothing to do with acne, because in my case, IT DOES. I'm not going to say a + b = c here, but I think the circumstantial evidence speaks for itself.

Listen to your body people. If you believe it is diet related, don't listen to modern western medicine, because you won't find answers, only benzoyl peroxide. Listen to yourself, and analyze what you are consuming that may be a factor. New foods you haven't eaten before, or perhaps too much of a food (or drink).

MemberMember
(@smoot)

Posted : 06/23/2011 8:18 pm

Almost forgot. I did have one other big battle with cystic acne, which I discovered was St. Ives facial scrub related. I started using the stuff because I enjoyed the way it made my face feel. Just nice and smooth, UNTIL, wait for it.... CYSTIC ACNE LIKE NO OTHER! This was a battle on my nose which was an all out war. Never had any problems on my nose like that, and never used the St. Ives before. I pitched that stuff in the garbage and POOF! Cystic acne was a thing of the past...

Now, granted, I probably used the stuff too often, which as I read, likely caused microscopic cuts and abrasions in my skin, which collected oil of course and then became infected in the form of a sick disgusting MESS. But even that being said, a product designed to be used on my face caused PAINFUL and UGLY cystic acne (It also doesn't indicate on the directions how often the scrub should be used... which was why I used it too much, because I enjoyed how smooth my face felt, well at least before the CYSTIC ACNE)

Now let's review. If I ignored the indicators my face was telling me about my diet and contiuned to gorge myself on Oatmeal and Coffee, and then tried to battle my acne with St. Ives scrub, I'd look like a freakin' burn victim. I'd have open sores and pustles everywhere. I would have paid to go see a dermatologist who would've told me a buncha hoopla and given me an expensive prescription for some topical I didn't need!!! (I'm guessing)

MemberMember
(@keenan55)

Posted : 11/29/2020 6:19 am

On 1/12/2004 at 5:33 PM, alliask said:

i eat about 2 servings of oatmeal a day, and i was wondering if it contributes to my acne. i read on a site that oatmeal is safe for acne; it could be a substitute for wheat. i'm not sure though. i usually have the oatmela with skim milk too. anyone has any idea?

Skim milk is terrible for acne! Any kind of milk, like whole milk or almond milk,makes acne a lot worse.

MemberMember
(@lizzieswellness)

Posted : 05/18/2022 7:55 pm

No, oatmeal is definitelygood for acne. Oatmeal has anti inflammatory, deep cleaning and antibacterial properties that help get rid of acne.