Notifications
Clear all

Growth and accutane

MemberMember
(@flexistraws)

Posted : 03/11/2007 1:22 pm

Hi

I'm in the 4th month on accutane treatment... On a website i recently read, that accutane can possibly close the growth plates too early :S

My doctor wasn't aware of that, neither was anything even close to this told in the prescription. What shall I believe? Have any of you experienced a stop in the natural growth, after an accutane course, or have you continued growing?

Thx

MemberMember
(@keelers)

Posted : 03/11/2007 5:37 pm

Well i have no medical knowledage and might be talking bollocks but i cant see how this can be true. There must of been tens of thousands of teenages who have taken accutane and continued growing normally. Im sure that if there was clinical evidence then there would definitely be a major waring about it. Personally i would trust your derm, accutane is blamed for everything and anything on certain anti-tane sites. Some angry short guy probably just wants something to blame for his small dick.

MemberMember
(@flexistraws)

Posted : 03/12/2007 1:26 pm

Hehe thx for the answer. Has anybody experinced a stop in your growing, if you were in your teens while taking accutane?

MemberMember
(@hockeyguy20)

Posted : 03/12/2007 4:30 pm

Hehe thx for the answer. Has anybody experinced a stop in your growing, if you were in your teens while taking accutane?
MemberMember
(@accutanemom)

Posted : 03/13/2007 8:05 pm

Your concern is very valid, and premature closure of growth plates is definitely listed as a possible side effect of Accutane. I unfortunately allowed my son to take Accutane at the age of 13 and a half, and in my opinion it most definitely stunted his growth. I had heard that it was a remote possibility, but I concidered it to be as it said -- remote. I have subsequently tried to find out examples of people who have actually GROWN after taking Accutane, and have hardly heard of any. If you want to continue growing, be very cautious.

MemberMember
(@calmcoolshot)

Posted : 03/13/2007 8:17 pm

I haven't grown taller since I was 15, anyway.

MemberMember
(@flexistraws)

Posted : 03/14/2007 11:17 am

That was like "damn"... I'm like 5'8, which certainly isn't enough man.. Why do u guys think this is a possible side effect?

I'm just trying the last luck: Has anybody of you actually grown since an accutane course? Of course most possible if you where in your teens ;)

Damn..

MemberMember
(@keelers)

Posted : 03/14/2007 5:17 pm

Ooops looks like i was talking rubbish... The leaflet info does mention this as a possible side effect..... sorry. Well im 6 '4 so i think im OK but yeah id give it some serious thought if i were you. Lotsa women still like me for my height even when my face looks like crap...if u can live with ur acne maybe u might wanna wait till uve grown a bit more....I would i ask ur derm about how common it is.

MemberMember
(@eto)

Posted : 04/15/2007 9:11 am

started taking it when i was 15 and 5'5 , i'm 19 now and still 5'5 ....

MemberMember
(@yeaokay)

Posted : 04/15/2007 9:52 am

started taking it when i was 15 and 5'5 , i'm 19 now and still 5'5 ....
MemberMember
(@routhman)

Posted : 04/15/2007 10:18 am

fuck

I'm 15 and 5' 8.5", which really isn't as tall as I'd like to be. I'm supposed to be 6' 1" - 6' 2".

Can anyone find the statistics to the prevalence of this?

MemberMember
(@eto)

Posted : 04/15/2007 10:26 am

unfortunately there is no statistics to prove this

MemberMember
(@routhman)

Posted : 04/15/2007 10:33 am

unfortunately there is no statistics to prove this
MemberMember
(@themis)

Posted : 04/15/2007 8:22 pm

Some angry short guy probably just wants something to blame for his small dick.
MemberMember
(@spottedhusky)

Posted : 04/15/2007 9:56 pm

i'd highly doubt if it is a big possibility...but still dont take it if its a big concern since theres always a chance. most people who didnt grow after accutane were probably not growing anymore anyway. i've been the same height since like 15 too and im just starting accutane now at 19. if i took accutane back then i probably would have blamed it on the tane! i'm no doctor though....so talk to your doctor if you are really worried about it. im 99.9% positive no doctor would tell you its a big concern though...probbaly because they dont know themselves.

MemberMember
(@sally-sasy)

Posted : 07/03/2021 11:37 pm

Did your son ever grow taller?