Notifications
Clear all

experiencing strange doxycycline side effects

MemberMember
(@republicangirl)

Posted : 07/31/2006 7:41 pm

my doctors think i am a hypochrondriac and believe that the symptoms i associate with consuming doxycycline are psychological. i am so frightened though! i don't feel right! what i am experiencing are strange muscle spasms that occur all over my body, especially in my eyelids and calfs. i also feel really fatigued but i understand that is a common side effect...so disregard that.

anyway, has anyone else here had these symptoms before??? am i being rational by attributing it to doxy? two of my doctors say they have never heard of such a side effect from it. but it only occurs when i take the medicine. when i took it months ago, the same thing happened! that is why i stopped. but then i began it again because i thought perhaps it wasn't doxy that was causing the violent muscle spasms. sure enough, they are here again! would you stop this medicine if this was happening to you???

i am so frightened...but doxy works! i would be so disappointed to have to stop it. it is my only hope!

Stephanie

MemberMember
(@09rules)

Posted : 07/31/2006 8:03 pm

I highly doubt it is the doxy. I'm inclined to agree with your doctor... I don't want to accuse you of being a hypochondriac, but if you have it in your head that the drug is causing it you can make it happen to yourself when you take the drug.

MemberMember
(@dank)

Posted : 07/31/2006 9:08 pm

Those jerks you are experiencing are called myoclonic twitches. They are normal if not occuring regularly.

Marshak AM, Elagina LV et. al. [Clinical biological possibilities of the early detection of the side effects of antibiotics] Antibiotiki. 1977 Sep;22(9):798-803.

The study of the dynamics of biogenic amines in the blood of patients provided to a certain extent determination of the possible thread of the drug complications. In this respect the serotonin level was of special significance. As for the reaction of leucocyte agglomeration it may be used before the treatment if there is a doubt in the tolerance of the antibacterial drug prescribed. Increased serotonin blood levels in this case also serve a confirmation of the thread of the possible allergic or toxic reaction in the patient.

[PMID: 143905]

MemberMember
(@kava12)

Posted : 12/20/2013 5:27 pm

I didn't think Doxy was that harmful.