benzoyl peroxide an...

Notifications
Clear all

benzoyl peroxide and the sun. possible?

MemberMember
(@davjac84)

Posted : 07/06/2006 10:37 am

Hi.

I wonder if you can use benzoyl peroxide and expose your self for the sun? If not, why?

MemberMember
(@so_fitting)

Posted : 07/06/2006 10:39 am

you can expose yourself to the sun, however benzoyl peroxide reduces your skins natural sun defence which means the sun can damage your skin more than usual.

use a non-comedogenic and oil free sunscreen or spf moisturiser and you'll be fine :)

MemberMember
(@davjac84)

Posted : 07/06/2006 10:55 am

Ok, thx for the reply.

MemberMember
(@bob-smith)

Posted : 07/06/2006 3:04 pm

you can try it, i light brown skin (half indian). when i use bp and go out in the sun it gets uncomfortable, though i havent used sunscreen

i would recommend just trying it, it doesnt exactly hurt, but its not comfortable

there arent really any lasting effects (people say that it causes more acne in the long run, but i have never found this to be the case - though i have never stayed in the sun that long with BP on)

-bob

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 07/06/2006 3:49 pm

bp will make you more likely to burn.

I highly recommend everyone use a sunscreen, everyday. Either spf in a moisturizer, or a separate sunscreen product.

It is cumulative sun damage over time that contributes to skin cancer. So take care of your skin and protect it.

I've been using Coppertone oil-free spf 30 with the CSR the past few months and it has worked out well. No sunburn and no breakouts. Others are using Neutrogena dry touch and it seems to be a good product too.

MemberMember
(@regi_1)

Posted : 07/06/2006 7:07 pm

I go out in the sun and I use the tanning beds with no problems.

MemberMember
(@canadianchron)

Posted : 07/06/2006 10:46 pm

as long as you dont have pale skin and you dont have your FACE directly in the sun for more than an hour at a time you should be ok. i find that when i use a sunscreen moisturizer my skin gets really oily, and even after i blot the oil off and get normal again it gets oily within another couple hours. ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@no-im-amy)

Posted : 07/07/2006 3:11 pm

I use a SPF moisturizer with it. Usually, I go out in the sun before I apply bp.

MemberMember
(@chance1843)

Posted : 07/07/2006 7:18 pm

Obviously if you're going to the beach, or gonna be outside for more than a few HOURS, then just wear a sunscreen. If not, forget it.

MemberMember
(@notcleanandnotclear)

Posted : 02/11/2012 10:37 am

so would it be bad if i spent a day at the beach? if i use sun protection?

also, does it make a difference if only apply BP at night? because that is what i'm doing, i can't take it twice a day. will this make my skin less sensitive to the sun?

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 02/11/2012 2:31 pm

you have to use sunscreen no matter if you are using BP or not . Its the best you can do but since i havet found a sunscreen that wont make me break out yet im being a bit bias . But sunscreen is very important though :L

MemberMember
(@swj48)

Posted : 02/11/2012 2:37 pm

Hi.

I wonder if you can use benzoyl peroxide and expose your self for the sun? If not, why?

I know everyone, including Dan, says that you HAVE to wear sunscreen on your face if you are using bp, but I never have and probably never will except if I'm on vacation somewhere very sunny like Hawaii which my family does every couple years. I have never noticed increased sensitivity or easier burning. I think it is way over-hyped and people shouldn't worry about it so much. I get sun burnt, yes, but my whole body does, not just my face, and that is only from my first extended sun exposure (2+ hours) of the summer each year, then I don't burn at all the rest of the summer. Use SPF if you want to, but good luck finding one you like. My opinion is just that it isn't really that necessary, but can't hurt. However, everyone is different and some more sensitive to the sun than others.

MemberMember
(@acneehater)

Posted : 02/11/2012 5:08 pm

In my opinion, i think spf moisterizer should be used everyday, rain or shine because there will always be UV'a and UV'b rays that are invisable to the naked eye and this light will damage ur skin. So i believe it's always best to protect your skin especially while your face is trying to recover.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 02/11/2012 10:06 pm

I'm in Australia and we pretty much get beaten over the head from a baby to wear sunblock every day. Its part of my normal routine even before I started using BP. Skin cancer is a serious issue, and like AcneeHater says above, the UV rays are going to get you whether you're burning or not.

Plus, more importantly (hah just kidding), it will stop your face from getting sun damaged resulting in pigmentation marks (sun spots) and wrinkles. Whats the use of having acne free skin if its all blotchy with sun spots and wrinkles?

MemberMember
(@notcleanandnotclear)

Posted : 02/12/2012 7:24 am

i'm just wondering if spending a day at the beach is still possible, without a higher risk than usual, when using BP and SPF...

or would you recommend not going at all, if possible?

i'm just not sure how much more sensitive your skin is during BP usage. if you're using BP & SPF will you be just as well protected as when you're not using BP but SPF?

MemberMember
(@swj48)

Posted : 02/12/2012 3:39 pm

i'm just wondering if spending a day at the beach is still possible, without a higher risk than usual, when using BP and SPF...

or would you recommend not going at all, if possible?

i'm just not sure how much more sensitive your skin is during BP usage. if you're using BP & SPF will you be just as well protected as when you're not using BP but SPF?

Still go to the beach! You don't need to change your life for the regimen. If you are doing something like a day at the beach sunscreen is a good idea, but every single day I think it is unnecessary.

MemberMember
(@mrspokes)

Posted : 06/18/2013 9:49 am

I've not been using sunscreen much and BP really made my skin more vulnerable to sun spots. So mad at myself now for not using sunscreen...

MemberMember
(@tripz)

Posted : 06/18/2013 8:02 pm

I used BP (in the form of Epiduo at first and then Dan's BP) for two years without ever knowing the "dangers" of sun exposure. I would spend at least two hours in the sun riding my bike to and from school in the morning, around 12 (when the sun is the strongest), and around 3. I have pale northern european skin and never burned.

Recently, I have learned that one should apply sunscreen everyday (especially while using BP). So I tried it, first with Olay for Sensitive Skin SPF 15 and now with Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 30. The Olay would make me too pale and ghostly, while the dry touch gives my face a weird oily shine all day and I think may be breaking me out.

I am on the fence on whether or not I will continue to use sunscreen everyday. I feel strange putting sunscreen on my face when I am really pale and would like just a small amount of colour. My face looks much better (and less oily) without using sunscreen. Maybe Dan's sunscreen that is coming out will go on clear, but we will have to wait and see.

Of course, if you are planning on spending multiple hours in the sun at the beach or on a hike, put some on.

MemberMember
(@catalyst)

Posted : 06/22/2013 4:37 pm

Benzoyl peroxide + sunlight make your skin more easily burnable. That's why they recommend putting sunscreen or wearing a hat.

I know from experience because it usually takes time for me to get sun burn but I noticed I would get sunburns from being outside 30mins or less and it was because of the sun hitting my skin directly while wearing benzoyl peroxide.

MemberMember
(@futuremissu)

Posted : 08/19/2013 8:51 am

i am using benzac for my bp however, i am not using any sunscreen because the right sunscreens (with the non comedogenic stuff) are expensive here and i can't seem to find the right one eiher. the problem is, my face looks like it's burnt (the difference between the eye area and the entire face is really obvious) and it's been peeling like hell. i'm worried. is this normal?