Notifications
Clear all

Spots/Scarring on face where acne once was

MemberMember
(@nick487)

Posted : 06/02/2016 12:02 am

So my problem is relatively well illustrated by the attached pictures, but I'll include some backstory. So I'm post Accutane (Isotretinoin) currently, I started it in October of 2015 and ended it in March of 2016... It worked extremely well, removing I'd say around 95% of my acne. Now I'm dealing with the remaining 5%, which is mild scarring and discolorations. Also I should note that I haven't had ANY breakouts in months, so these spots have lingered for awhile now.

Any ideas about treatment for either the scarring and/or the discolored spots? Thanks!!!

IMG_20160602_242612670.jpg

IMG_20160602_002418.jpg

IMG_20160602_242708341.jpg

MemberMember
(@ugurl)

Posted : 06/06/2016 5:21 am

I have hyperpigmentation on my right cheek as well. Mine started November 2015 with a severe break out which left me literally helpless, I had no idea what to do. Well a month later, all the pimples disappear and leave me with discoloration. It's been about 4 months and while I still have a small amount of discoloration I can tell you that it's practically invisible to anyone besides me. My point is, these spots will disappear with time. Each week they will be lighter and lighter. Please use sunscreen because UV rays are the bane of acne/scar sufferers every where. After my acne disappeared, and the hyperpigmentaion appeared, I went back to my derm desperate for any kind of treatment at all. When he told me, he doesn't recommend anything because me scars aren't bad, I was really upset. I wanted to yell at him, I was so frustrated :/ I didn't need him to tell me my scars were insignificant and I should just deal with them!! he's supposed to be helping me lol. Well in the end I decided to let the scars take their course and lo and behold, they are lighter than they were even a month ago!! 

Besides using sunscreen, I try to limit the stuff i put on my face, I use tretinoin every night, I grind up dried orange peels, mix them with a bit of honey and milk and use that as a mask twice a week, I exfoliate with a charcoal sugar scrub once a week. Other than that, it's just a whole lot of sunscreen for me. Just try to keep it as simple as possible. Especially for skin that is healing this is doubly important.

Congratulations on your progress, but remember that It's all about allowing your skin to carry out the natural process of healing. It won't be an overnight success story but there is no doubt in my mind that your acne will heal. Give it a couple of months and in the mean time you can expedite that process by staying hydrated and taking care of your skin :) Take pictures once a week to track your progress. If after a month or two, you notice no change or see that they are in fact worsening, then you should talk to your derm about a possible chemical peel.