Notifications
Clear all

Post inflammatory hyper pigmentation help!

MemberMember
(@lauren55)

Posted : 02/22/2016 1:24 am

I have been dealing with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation for years now. In October switched to using apple cider vinegar which I currently use twice a day and drink in the morning. I think it has helped a bit but my skin is still so red!! Will this go away if I keep applying the acv? Do you have any other suggestions on how to speed up the process?

help please!!

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/22/2016 9:50 am

10% glycolic acid (AHA) is a great treatment option for speeding up fading of PIH. My son is using for this condition. Expect to give it 3-6 months to see noticeable results but it does work!

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/22/2016 8:34 pm

19 hours ago, Lauren55 said:

I have been dealing with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation for years now. In October switched to using apple cider vinegar which I currently use twice a day and drink in the morning. I think it has helped a bit but my skin is still so red!! Will this go away if I keep applying the acv? Do you have any other suggestions on how to speed up the process?

help please!!

Hi, if you have been applying ACV on your face since October last year (which makes it 4 months) and it still looks red and inflamed in the photo, I suggest you stop. Seriously, don't be taken in by trends and fads like this. 'Home remedies' may not work for everyone and may even worsen things. Recently, I started to cleanse my face with a mixture of castor oil and it made things worse by developing cystic acne. I was too tempted by all the rave reviews and what I didn't know was that the castor oil was just too gooey for my skin that it started to clog the pores. Same thing for dabbing lemon juice and applying egg white masks (fortunately I wasn't swayed). People on the internet need to exercise some responsibility in recommending 'home remedies' like ACV and what-nots because they are potentially damaging to the skin. I cannot stress this enough.

Nope.avi and DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@aquaprincess9)

Posted : 02/24/2016 5:19 am

Tea tree oil from the body shop (15%) or 100% pure tea tree oil diluted in water n a good toner.  It took me approx 1.5 to 2 weeks to start seeing results cz i would apply  it 2 to 3 times in a day with a Q tib only on the spots and then later Moisturize daily. I started with 15% frm body shop no matter what skin type u have cz thats an essential oil so not bad n then after 2 months i used 100% undiluted as my skin dint get irritated by it. But u shud dilute it if using 100%. You have to be consistent to see results. It helped me might help u too. Try using yogurt oatmeal turmeric masks they arent harsh and are effective for hyperpigmentation. Eat apples and drink 2 litres water for a month..also exfoliate with pure coconut oil, sugar n lime scrub so u can remove dead skin soon. Find out the root cause of inflammation Maybe any food allergies or environment or dirty pillows makin them worse? 

I tried vitamin c and E but they seemed top heavy for my skin n kinda broke me out. Retina A gel/creams maybe? They seem to work the best but havent tried them yet. 
P.s love ur eye color :) keep updating x 

MemberMember
(@sammy88)

Posted : 02/24/2016 2:08 pm

mix fresh aloe and fresh lemon juice 50/50 apply w clean makeup brush at night... scars disappearing after days....

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/24/2016 8:37 pm

6 hours ago, sammy88 said:

mix fresh aloe and fresh lemon juice 50/50 apply w clean makeup brush at night... scars disappearing after days....

Hey you, stop with that ridiculous suggestion of using lemon juice. It is evident that her face is too inflammed for any further aggravation by acidic products such as lemon juice. Such home remedies are only for people with (very) mild acne and not everyone can take the beating.

MemberMember
(@sammy88)

Posted : 02/24/2016 10:13 pm

1 hour ago, Convinceme said:
Hey you, stop with that ridiculous suggestion of using lemon juice. It is evident that her face is too inflammed for any further aggravation by acidic products such as lemon juice. Such home remedies are only for people with (very) mild acne and not everyone can take the beating.

hey you, you need to chill, just trying to help! my acne was inflamed and I used this mixture and it worked, just offering my opinion

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 1:44 am

On 25/02/2016 at 3:13 AM, sammy88 said:
On 25/02/2016 at 1:37 AM, Convinceme said:

hey you, you need to chill, just trying to help! my acne was inflamed and I used this mixture and it worked, just offering my opinion

And your opinion is wrong. You're ill informed and unfit to give information about the subject. Fuck. Off.

OP:

Drop the apple cider vinegar in favour of A-ret and a HIGH spf sunscreen which you will wear every day, without exception. Do occasional Glycolic peels (do your own research on this and start low)

Hydroquinone is a good one if you can get your hands on it, the carcinogenic studies on it are flawed but you'll have to make up your own mind.

Get Azelaic acid from where ever you can source it, a doctor, online pharmacy, etc. It inhibits the production of melanin, which is what PIH is. Concentrated melanin.

Unless you have the coin for a pulse dye laser (not too expensive, honestly)

It should go without saying but keep moisturised.

Ignore the Tea tree oil and Vit E suggestion.

Lauren55 liked
MemberMember
(@lauren55)

Posted : 02/26/2016 6:02 pm

16 hours ago, Nope.avi said:
And your opinion is wrong. You're ill informed and unfit to give information about the subject. Fuck. Off.

OP:

Drop the apple cider vinegar in favour of A-ret and a HIGH spf sunscreen which you will wear every day, without exception. Do occasional Glycolic peels (do your own research on this and start low)

Hydroquinone is a good one if you can get your hands on it, the carcinogenic studies on it are flawed but you'll have to make up your own mind.

Get Azelaic acid from where ever you can source it, a doctor, online pharmacy, etc. It inhibits the production of melanin, which is what PIH is. Concentrated melanin.

What percent glycolic peel would you suggest starting with?

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/27/2016 12:46 am

6 hours ago, Lauren55 said:
22 hours ago, Nope.avi said:

OP:

What percent glycolic peel would you suggest starting with?

I steered away from that because some peoples skin is more sensitive than others. buy a higher strength peel and dilute as necessary (You can google a guide, its really all about ratios, a child could do it) but I started with a 20% myself. Take from that what you will.

MemberMember
(@lauren55)

Posted : 02/27/2016 1:14 am

25 minutes ago, Nope.avi said:
I steered away from that because some peoples skin is more sensitive than others. buy a higher strength peel and dilute as necessary (You can google a guide, its really all about ratios, a child could do it) but I started with a 20% myself. Take from that what you will.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am going to purchase a ret and a glycolic peel tomorrow. I was looking at this one to order, would that be best or are there other brands?image.thumb.png.5158b90220465778b2553eca

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/27/2016 1:43 am

18 minutes ago, Lauren55 said:
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am going to purchase a ret and a glycolic peel tomorrow. I was looking at this one to order, would that be best or are there other brands?image.thumb.png.5158b90220465778b2553eca

Holy shit, brosis, thats $23 a tube!

Try here:  http://www.alldaychemist.com/a-ret-7914.html  theres a $25 flat rate shipping though (bearing in mind, it is coming from India), so make it worth it. I use them myself for A-ret and another meds.

*Note this is the strongest available, lower strengths are available on the site. eg  http://www.alldaychemist.com/a-ret-7910.html

Generic medications, for all intents and purposes, are equal to other brands. dont be fooled.

They also sell hydroquinone, which that one is paired with, but  PLEASE use high spf sunscreen every day, as if not HQ can have a paradoxical effect of making the spot darker.

When I say A-ret, I mean tretinoin, which is its chemical name.

MemberMember
(@lauren55)

Posted : 02/27/2016 1:58 am

12 minutes ago, Nope.avi said:

Holy shit, brosis, thats $23 a tube!

Try here: http://www.alldaychemist.com/a-ret-7914.html theres a $25 flat rate shipping though (bearing in mind, it is coming from India), so make it worth it. I use them myself for A-ret and another meds.

*Note this is the strongest available, lower strengths are available on the site. eg http://www.alldaychemist.com/a-ret-7910.html

Generic medications, for all intents and purposes, are equal to other brands. dont be fooled.

They also sell hydroquinone, which that one is paired with, but PLEASE use high spf sunscreen every day, as if not HQ can have a paradoxical effect of making the spot darker.

When I say A-ret, I mean tretinoin, which is its chemical name.

The write up on the website you linked sounds like it's just for acne, whereas the one I posted a picture of says its for bleaching hyperpigmentation? I don't have much in an acne problem, I'm just focusing on pih.

Alao if I do order the one you're suggesting do I put it all over my face or just on the pih? Did you experience any purging?

MemberMember
(@sammy88)

Posted : 02/27/2016 3:01 am

On February 26, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Nope.avi said:

OP:

didn't know this was a website that people got offended on? I am allowed to comment advice on whatever pages I want, my advice may or may not help? same with some other bullshit answers on here. let's not get all wild and offended on acne.org!!! take the drama to Facebook just cause u broke out from using lemon juice doesn't mean everyone else will boo

MemberMember
(@sfnathan80)

Posted : 02/27/2016 3:26 am

The absolute most effective treatment for acne red marks is the old Vbeam which causes purpura. There seem to be a trend towards low downtime lasers nowadays and thus you will see dermatologists pushing these low downtime vascular lasers  which will do little to nothing for acne red marks. 

Take this from someone who's done multiple IPLs, Vbeams and Spectra Gold Toning (585nm) for acne red marks. If theres no downtime, there will be no results. 

Here's another user with a similar experience to mine.  . Her first Vbeam treatment had only one day of downtime which yielded no results, the second treatment caused bruising which almost completely faded her red marks.

Here's what bruising from Vbeam will look like.

mqdefault.jpg

Red marks are medically termed as Post Inflammatory Erythema or Macular Erythema. Unfortunately topicals such as glycolic, azelaic or hydroquinone will do precious little for them. Your only choice is to commit to an aggressive vascular laser treatment which will cause significant downtime or just wait for the marks to heal on their own.

Lauren55 liked
MemberMember
(@lauren55)

Posted : 02/27/2016 11:08 am

7 hours ago, sfnathan80 said:

The absolute most effective treatment for acne red marks is the old Vbeam which causes purpura. There seem to be a trend towards low downtime lasers nowadays and thus you will see dermatologists pushing these low downtime vascular lasers  which will do little to nothing for acne red marks. 

Take this from someone who's done multiple IPLs, Vbeams and Spectra Gold Toning (585nm) for acne red marks. If theres no downtime, there will be no results. 

Here's another user with a similar experience to mine.  . Her first Vbeam treatment had only one day of downtime which yielded no results, the second treatment caused bruising which almost completely faded her red marks.

Here's what bruising from Vbeam will look like.

mqdefault.jpg

Red marks are medically termed as Post Inflammatory Erythema or Macular Erythema. Unfortunately topicals such as glycolic, azelaic or hydroquinone will do precious little for them. Your only choice is to commit to an aggressive vascular laser treatment which will cause significant downtime or just wait for the marks to heal on their own.

Thank you! I will look into this 

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/28/2016 10:16 am

On 27/02/2016 at 8:26 AM, sfnathan80 said:

Steady on there, buddy.

PI Hyperpigmentation and PI Erythema are two different things.

If its PIE, then it disappears if you apply pressure to it, like putting a glass on your face.Else, its PIH, in which case the topicals mentioned will in fact help them fade.

On 27/02/2016 at 6:58 AM, Lauren55 said:
The write up on the website you linked sounds like it's just for acne, whereas the one I posted a picture of says its for bleaching hyperpigmentation? I don't have much in an acne problem, I'm just focusing on pih.

Alao if I do order the one you're suggesting do I put it all over my face or just on the pih? Did you experience any purging?

Retin-A is primarily for acne, yes, but it speeds up skin cell turnover and does some other neat stuff like increase collagen production, which is making it a popular anti-aging product.

Your link contains hydroquinone, a skin bleacher, as well as tretinoin, so it would be described that way.

A Ret all over the face, hydroquinone only on the PIH.

Lauren55 liked