Notifications
Clear all

Need Post Acne Red Marks/scaring Advice With Pics

MemberMember
(@timtebow)

Posted : 03/15/2013 6:26 am

My acne has calmed down a lot but now I have red marks everywhere on the left side of my cheek and a few of the marks seem to still be active acne its really weird. Need to know what i should be using to wash my face, any toners or creams I should be using after i wash my face, which moisturizer would be good for my skin and any other stuff like scrubs I should be using and how often...Any tips will be useful because I dont know anything.

c43684588ce0622fbeda3f6eab35408b.png

71afeb3c15976d2e0126eef4de185614.png

6750bcafcf93160216b0358435d8bbb2.png

74183db83f1d82a9f997db7806dbb883.png

2nk8jb.jpg

5f2049.png

MemberMember
(@timtebow)

Posted : 03/15/2013 1:48 pm

Can somebody help me please?

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 03/15/2013 4:19 pm

Try cetaphil moisturizing cream, it comes in a jar. Don't use during the day tho because it makes your face look greasy. I apply it to my face at night after I let my epiduo dry. Its really good for dry skin. As far as your red marks go I have no clue , I'm not at that stage yet as I still get acne, but I do know that red marks are similar to scars as in the sense that they will take a while to go away(that's if no more pimples come up in that spot) What's your skin regimen?

By the way they are near your face hair, do they appear more often after you shave? If so it could be ingrown hairs/razor bumps a lot of things.

MemberMember
(@timtebow)

Posted : 03/16/2013 12:06 am

Try cetaphil moisturizing cream, it comes in a jar. Don't use during the day tho because it makes your face look greasy. I apply it to my face at night after I let my epiduo dry. Its really good for dry skin. As far as your red marks go I have no clue , I'm not at that stage yet as I still get acne, but I do know that red marks are similar to scars as in the sense that they will take a while to go away(that's if no more pimples come up in that spot) What's your skin regimen?

By the way they are near your face hair, do they appear more often after you shave? If so it could be ingrown hairs/razor bumps a lot of things.

Thank you I am currently using Cerave cream and paulas choice clear extra strength face wash and treatment... My acne is doing much better so I want to switch to something less harsh and meant for scars/red marks I don't feel like Paulas choice is doing anything for my red marks so I want to switch to something else which is why I posted pics need something specially for me.

I'm not sure but looking closer some of the marks do appear to be some type of rash not acne scars what do you think?

What do you guys recommend I use on my face before and after shaving to prevent irriration and razor burn

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 03/16/2013 12:52 am

Thank you I am currently using Cerave cream and paulas choice clear extra strength face wash and treatment... My acne is doing much better so I want to switch to something less harsh and meant for scars/red marks I don't feel like PC is doing anything for my red marks so I want to switch to something else which is why I posted pics need something specially for me.

I'm not sure but looking closer some of the marks do appear to be some type of rash not acne scars what do you think?

What do you guys recommend I use on my face before and after shaving to prevent irriration and razor burn

I never heard of PC I use epiduo And it works for me. Cerave should be good it has a lot of good reviews. As far as scarring, if your acne is still coming then you should stay on what ever works for you and then add something for your scars to your regimen. I heard lemon juice works I never tried it tho, and shaving makes me break out I havent actually used any razor for a year or so I'm scared, I just trim as low as possible.

MemberMember
(@grpm)

Posted : 03/16/2013 1:10 am

Yeah your problem is due to shaving and lack of sleep and/or sleeping on your side, I'd would suggest to change your blade or typical razor for an Electric Razor which only cuts the hair and it's gentle with your skin, I also recommend to do the following skin care/life style routine:

-Use a cleanser for sensitive skin in the morning and another with acne treatment or for oily skin at night (avoid benzoyl peroxide), next use a gentle toner (No Alcohol) and apply a moisturizer with SPF 30 in the morning and a repairing one or with acne medication at night.

-Only wash your face with lukewarm water at night every other day, don't take hot showers or long cold showers, sorry, you can use warm water when you shave.

-Use an Aspirin mask with a little bit of lemon juice and let it act for around 30 minutes, two times per week (don't buy coated aspirin cuz it doesn't work), if you cannot find regular Aspirin use Alka Seltzer instead (no lemon juice this time) it works just the same. You can also try an Oatmeal and yogurt mask, let it dry on your face and rinse it off with cold water, or a Sea Salt mask.

-Use a gentle scrub 2 times per week, I suggest to mix Sodium Bicarbonate with a little bit of your cleanser for sensitive skin and a few drops of water if needed (it has to be a paste), gently massage your face for around 2 minutes and rinse with cold water.

-Drink plenty of water and stay away from sodas and alcohol.

-Eat healthy, avoid foods with a lot of salt because it tends to darken up your scars, and a lot of sugar because it causes more acne obviously. Don't eat late a night, sorry again.

-Sleep at least 7-8 hours to let your body and skin to repair itself.

Those are my suggestions, it works for me and you don't have to spend a lot of money. If you have a question don't doubt on asking me wink.png

MemberMember
(@timtebow)

Posted : 03/16/2013 6:05 am

Yeah your problem is due to shaving and lack of sleep and/or sleeping on your side, I'd would suggest to change your blade or typical razor for an Electric Razor which only cuts the hair and it's gentle with your skin, I also recommend to do the following skin care/life style routine:

-Use a cleanser for sensitive skin in the morning and another with acne treatment or for oily skin at night (avoid benzoyl peroxide), next use a gentle toner (No Alcohol) and apply a moisturizer with SPF 30 in the morning and a repairing one or with acne medication at night.

-Only wash your face with lukewarm water at night every other day, don't take hot showers or long cold showers, sorry, you can use warm water when you shave.

-Use an Aspirin mask with a little bit of lemon juice and let it act for around 30 minutes, two times per week (don't buy coated aspirin cuz it doesn't work), if you cannot find regular Aspirin use Alka Seltzer instead (no lemon juice this time) it works just the same. You can also try an Oatmeal and yogurt mask, let it dry on your face and rinse it off with cold water, or a Sea Salt mask.

-Use a gentle scrub 2 times per week, I suggest to mix Sodium Bicarbonate with a little bit of your cleanser for sensitive skin and a few drops of water if needed (it has to be a paste), gently massage your face for around 2 minutes and rinse with cold water.

-Eat healthy, avoid foods with a lot of salt because it tends to darken up your scars, and a lot of sugar because it causes more acne obviously. Don't eat late a night, sorry again.

Those are my suggestions, it works for me and you don't have to spend a lot of money. If you have a question don't doubt on asking me wink.png

Hi thanks for all the info! I am actually using an electric shaver so maybe it has to do with after shaving I just put on moisturizer... Now I'm a little worried is it razor burn that I have I gotta look up how to treat that now!!

Could you recommend some face washes, toners and cleansers?

What are some other good masks & scrubs for marks?

MemberMember
(@tc-trev)

Posted : 03/16/2013 10:01 am

I'm four days away from finishing my six month course of accutane. I no longer have acne but my god the bumps and marks are horrible as well. Unfortunately I have quite a hairy face too and have to shave every day or two so that prob irritate my skin.

Here's a pic I took yesterday.

post-204747-0-96551000-1363446014_thumb.

post-204747-0-96551000-1363446014_thumb.

MemberMember
(@grpm)

Posted : 03/16/2013 12:01 pm

Hi thanks for all the info! I am actually using an electric shaver so maybe it has to do with after shaving I just put on moisturizer... Now I'm a little worried is it razor burn that I have I gotta look up how to treat that now!!

Okay, it would be nice to know what kind of electric razor you are using, perhaps it is not meant for sensitive skin and it's making you break out. I personally don't have too much facial hair and it's thinner than yours, but after I shave I simply follow my normal routine with a toner and moisturizer, I tried many products in the past and can honestly say that Eucerin is the best brand for me, you can start with that, I already told you what you need.

Other Masks:

-Tomato and honey

-Olive Oil with Lemon

-Green Tea and Lemon

-Strawberry and Yogurt

-Papaya and Lemon

-Clay mask

It is important to not over exfoliate, remember that when you use an Aspirin, Alka Seltzer or Oatmeal mask you are exfoliating your face at the same time, so try to avoid any scrub for about 3 or 4 days when you use those masks in particular.

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 03/16/2013 1:51 pm

All of the "natural stuff" is fine but you need to know why--exfoliants and things meant to help with collagen/pigmentation. That's what you're trying to do, rebuild collagen.

First, are you doing anything to treat acne now? What breaks you out? It's hard to help unless I know what you can't use and there's a lot of comedogenic junk in stuff marked "non-comedogenic".

The best spf moisturizer I've ever used is Olay Complete SPF 15 (or 30). Trader Joe's makes a spf 15 moisturizer as well. That will keep the marks from darkening.

The best GENERAL moisturizer I've used is Triderma Anti-redness, but it has no spf. You need to really make sure to wash anything with sunscreen off or it will break you out.

Now for pigmentation, I'll tell you what I know--be warned that I'm struggling with my own stuff due to hormones (as a woman), so there's a limit on what I know that could help you.

1) There are scar creams for acne marks (look those up on the internet; I'm not convinced brands like Mederma are so great, but that's an option. There's also Invicible scar treatment).

2 Vitamin C products (L'Oreal Youth Code, Garnier Dark Spots, and any online skin store should turn up products if you do a search); (3) retinoids (like Retin-A, or neutrogena) or (4) BHA/glyolic acid; (5) kojic acid (Skinceuticals--is not working for me, though) and (6)copper products (Isomers)--these are all supposed to help. I listed brands but you need to do internet searches on drugstore, skinstore, and sephora.com for reviews. (I only listed drugstore brands but Dr. Brandt is an example of a brand that can be found in Sephora.)

I have a dermaroller and vitamin c/copper powder from owndoc.com but am too scared to use it because my own skin is so messed up and thin, but you might consider it. It takes a long time to ship, though, and is not super-cheap.

You can also try peels--glycolic, lactic, or TCA peels. (May be too harsh.) You can get samples from MakeUpArtistsChoice (MUAC) online.

By all means, try the stuff with lemon in it; just dilute it.

One more thing--I would look into a treatment for ingrowns (but really you could probably just use a mild astringent, like from Clean and Clear; those treatments are usually just exfoliants anyway).

Start marking when you use a fresh razor. I use a cotton swab to wash mine (not for my face, but nevertheless) with rubbing alcohol to get face gunk off of it.

MemberMember
(@timtebow)

Posted : 03/16/2013 2:50 pm

Okay, it would be nice to know what kind of electric razor you are using, perhaps it is not meant for sensitive skin and it's making you break out. I personally don't have too much facial hair and it's thinner than yours, but after I shave I simply follow my normal routine with a toner and moisturizer, I tried many products in the past and can honestly say that Eucerin is the best brand for me, you can start with that, I already told you what you need.

Other Masks:

-Tomato and honey

-Olive Oil with Lemon

-Green Tea and Lemon

-Strawberry and Yogurt

-Papaya and Lemon

-Clay mask

It is important to not over exfoliate, remember that when you use an Aspirin, Alka Seltzer or Oatmeal mask you are exfoliating your face at the same time, so try to avoid any scrub for about 3 or 4 days when you use those masks in particular.

Thank you for your advice im looking into Eucerin right now and I've taken note of everything you you have been a great help thank you.

I use this shaver

http://www.londondrugs.com/Panasonic-Men%27s-Pro-Curve-ARC-IV-Blade-Shaver---ESRF31S/L7187206,default,pd.html?start=11&q=panasonic%20shaver

MemberMember
(@timtebow)

Posted : 03/16/2013 3:12 pm

All of the "natural stuff" is fine but you need to know why--exfoliants and things meant to help with collagen/pigmentation. That's what you're trying to do, rebuild collagen.

First, are you doing anything to treat acne now? What breaks you out? It's hard to help unless I know what you can't use and there's a lot of comedogenic junk in stuff marked "non-comedogenic".

The best spf moisturizer I've ever used is Olay Complete SPF 15 (or 30). Trader Joe's makes a spf 15 moisturizer as well. That will keep the marks from darkening.

The best GENERAL moisturizer I've used is Triderma Anti-redness, but it has no spf. You need to really make sure to wash anything with sunscreen off or it will break you out.

Now for pigmentation, I'll tell you what I know--be warned that I'm struggling with my own stuff due to hormones (as a woman), so there's a limit on what I know that could help you.

1) There are scar creams for acne marks (look those up on the internet; I'm not convinced brands like Mederma are so great, but that's an option. There's also Invicible scar treatment).

2 Vitamin C products (L'Oreal Youth Code, Garnier Dark Spots, and any online skin store should turn up products if you do a search); (3) retinoids (like Retin-A, or neutrogena) or (4) BHA/glyolic acid; (5) kojic acid (Skinceuticals--is not working for me, though) and (6)copper products (Isomers)--these are all supposed to help. I listed brands but you need to do internet searches on drugstore, skinstore, and sephora.com for reviews. (I only listed drugstore brands but Dr. Brandt is an example of a brand that can be found in Sephora.)

I have a dermaroller and vitamin c/copper powder from owndoc.com but am too scared to use it because my own skin is so messed up and thin, but you might consider it. It takes a long time to ship, though, and is not super-cheap.

You can also try peels--glycolic, lactic, or TCA peels. (May be too harsh.) You can get samples from MakeUpArtistsChoice (MUAC) online.

By all means, try the stuff with lemon in it; just dilute it.

One more thing--I would look into a treatment for ingrowns (but really you could probably just use a mild astringent, like from Clean and Clear; those treatments are usually just exfoliants anyway).

Start marking when you use a fresh razor. I use a cotton swab to wash mine (not for my face, but nevertheless) with rubbing alcohol to get face gunk off of it.

WOW! So much info I have a lot of reading to do, thank you.

Currently I'm using paulas choice extra strength system (this one http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/collections/Clear-Blemish-Control/_/Clear-Extra-Strength-System/ ) followed my cerave moisturizer cream but I haven't had a bad breakout in over 2 months since I've changed my diet and started drinking green smoothies, eating free range meat, and cutting out processed foods and sugary drinks I feel like paulas choice stuff is too strong to use now and it also hasn't done anything for my red marks & scars. I had some AHA laying around and I've been using it for the last two nights and I feel like its really working & starting to fade some my marks I've had this laying around for months and never used it.

I've never had a product break me out my acne was mostly becuase my diet was terrible & my immune system was shot and I've slowly changed that over the last 6 months.

Thanks for the tip on the razor disinfecting it does seem very important I'm also thinking about switching to a double edge safety razor for less irritation.

MemberMember
(@grpm)

Posted : 03/16/2013 6:29 pm

Your electric shaver is very good, maybe is the way you use it that it's causing you irritation, do you use it dry or wet? I agree with most of the things @bizz said, but I don't suggest to experiment with all those spot treatments and harsh chemicals on your face, they could make your skin very sensitive and leave awful marks and large pores.

Don't use a chemical peel if you still have inflammation, trust me, it will worsen the problem. If you have dark spots and you want a mild peel to help to get rid of them, go to sleep with the Aspirin or Alka Seltzer mask on your face and I guaranteed a pretty good peel without leaving your face too sensitive or with a sunburn appearance.

Lemon juice is very good if use it properly, just a few drops are enough to get it's benefits.

You can do what you want, but let me tell you that I've tried almost everything when I wash young and ignorant, and I definitely stay with the natural stuff, since I changed my skin care routine to incorporate more natural products my skin feels a lot smoother and I look younger. Also, remember to avoid sleeping on your side, sleep on your back instead, this is a common mistake people make, I know it is hard to sleep in one position but you'll not get better if you are suffocating your skin and rubbing your face with dirty pillows.

MemberMember
(@timtebow)

Posted : 03/18/2013 2:10 pm

Your electric shaver is very good, maybe is the way you use it that it's causing you irritation, do you use it dry or wet? I agree with most of the things @bizz said, but I don't suggest to experiment with all those spot treatments and harsh chemicals on your face, they could make your skin very sensitive and leave awful marks and large pores.

Don't use a chemical peel if you still have inflammation, trust me, it will worsen the problem. If you have dark spots and you want a mild peel to help to get rid of them, go to sleep with the Aspirin or Alka Seltzer mask on your face and I guaranteed a pretty good peel without leaving your face too sensitive or with a sunburn appearance.

Lemon juice is very good if use it properly, just a few drops are enough to get it's benefits.

You can do what you want, but let me tell you that I've tried almost everything when I wash young and ignorant, and I definitely stay with the natural stuff, since I changed my skin care routine to incorporate more natural products my skin feels a lot smoother and I look younger. Also, remember to avoid sleeping on your side, sleep on your back instead, this is a common mistake people make, I know it is hard to sleep in one position but you'll not get better if you are suffocating your skin and rubbing your face with dirty pillows.

Thank you I have been using AHA for the past couple of days its really helping. Thanks for the tip on sleeping on my back...Its a pain though I usually sleep in the fetal position haha

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 04/02/2013 6:01 am

For the red marks I ussualy give advice to use AHA / BHA along with Differin/Retin-a.

You should really reconsider what word "everywhere" means.Your skin looks great.