Tiny bumps that don...

Notifications
Clear all

Tiny bumps that don't go away? It may be PF!

MemberMember
(@progressnotperfection)

Posted : 07/01/2016 8:28 pm

I am so grateful for this website! Without it, I may still be dealing with one of the worst skin conditions I've ever had. I wanted to write this in the hopes that someone else can benefit from my situation.

Starting in the summertime, I suddenly got hundreds of tiny little bumps all over my forehead. Assuming it was because of my bike helmet (I am an avid mountain biker), I washed my helmet and made sure to keep my skin clean. It did nothing to help my skin. Then, the bumps made their way down my temples. By the end of May, my face was covered with hundreds, if not thousands of tiny, flesh-colored bumps. No amount of makeup would cover it and my skin looked like I had a disease of some sort.

I've had acne since I was 16 (I'm 30 now), but this was something totally different. None of the bumps came to a head, they didn't hurt at all (like my cystic acne) and there was never any cycling through it getting better, then worse. It was always really bad. I assumed they were clogged pores, because if I squeezed them hard, eventually something would come out.

Of course I went to a dermatologist after 6 weeks of no results. I live in a small town, so our doctors aren't quite as good as other areas. She didn't even ask me to take off my makeup to have a closer look. I was diagnosed with demodex dermatitis (a type of mite that can irritate skin) and was given a prescription. As soon as I got home from the doctor, I looked up demodex dermatitis. I saw red, rosacea-like skin. Mine looked NOTHING at all like that! So, I started to do some research on my own. I kept a log of what I was finding online and products I was trying. It turned out to be over 30 different treatments, ranging from gycolic acid, salicyllic acid, benzoyl peroxide, oil cleansers, face masks, switching makeup, to hypoallergenic pillows, to all natural acne products, to proactiv, and prescription acne medication.

For over 3 months, I was trying anything and everything. When my baby nephew was born, I refused to hold him because I didn't know if my skin condition was contagious. On my 30th birthday, I wore my hair covering as much of my face as possible so my friends wouldn't see my skin. I spent much of my summer isolated from friends and other people. When anyone looked at me, I knew they were wondering about my skin.

Finally, one day I was looking at photos of skin allergies (I looked up so many skin photos in 3 months, it would amaze you), and I came across a photo of someone's forehead that looked EXACTLY like mine! I followed the link to find that the condition was called Pityrosporum Folliculitis (also called  Malassezia Folliculitis). The more research I did about PF, the more I realized, "OMG, this is what I have!" PF is a fungus overgrowth caused by an imbalance of the natural bacteria and fungus found on your skin. Gross, right? When the natural fungus on your skin isn't kept in line by bacteria, it can cause a major skin reaction. Well that's cool, especially because I've been using an antibiotic on my skin for a year (clyndamyacin). Here's what else I learned:

-PF feeds on oil so you need to use oil-free moisturizers during the outbreak

- antibacterial items remove bacteria, so they should also be avoided. That means no hand sanitizer, antibacterial soap, or Clyndamyacin

- there is a test for PF that is a simple swipe of the skin (though there was no way I was going back to my derm. They already proved themselves worthless twice)

- the treatment is a topical cream called ketoconazole

Fortunately for me, ketoconazole is also the active ingredient in a dandruff shampoo called Nizoral. Based on my research, the shampoo is often used to treat PF. I immediately went to the store and bought it. I did a test on the back of my jawline for 2 days to make sure I didn't have a reaction. I just left it on for a minute then washed it off. No reaction occurred, so I used it on my face. Here was the process:

Every morning and at night- do not skip a cleanse! Wet your face with warm water. Massage a quarter-sized amount of Nizoral on the affected area. Leave for as long as you can (sometimes I'd go 10-15 minutes, and yes, it tingles). Wash off with warm water and moisturize with oil-free moisturizer (I used Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Oil-free moisturizer). If I could stand it, I'd try to not even use a moisturizer to prevent adding excess oil to my skin.

Ladies and gentlemen, I noticed a change in about 3 days. The bumps were smaller and my face no longer felt like braille. After over 3 months of dealing with this horrible, self-esteem crushing problem, 3 days made a huge difference. I've attached photos of what I saw.  I saw ZERO results after 3 months, and actual progress in 3 days. I continued to use Nizoral twice a day for 3 weeks before the bumps dried up, then kind of sloughed off and completely went away. I also waited about a week before I incorporated any other acne medication into my routine. I figured, I'd rather have 4-5 zits then thousands of bumps. I still use Nizoral periodically to make sure this stuff NEVER comes back.

My biggest hope is that someone here can benefit from my experience. I wasted a lot of time and a LOT of money trying to make my skin condition go away, and all it took was a $8 bottle of shampoo from Target. Good luck to you!

left_0.JPG

med_gallery_434542_14023_1514653.jpg

UPDATE:  It has been a year since I went through this ordeal, and I just want to communicate that I still see small flair ups sometimes (though they are MUCH less than before) so every time that I go biking, or spend time in heat, I make sure to use my Nizoral for 5-10 minutes and it goes away, often overnight. That stuff is the only thing that works!

Dounage, Sav_2019, SkinDeeply and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@girlonamission)

Posted : 08/02/2016 7:41 am

Hi!

I'm was so excited to stumble on your post! I've had a mild version of this since I was a teenager. A doctor once told me it looked like an allergy, but aside from that I have tried to treat it as acne. It flares up and then dies down and then flares up again - largely when my skin is oily or I'm tired or stressed - which is a lot. I™ve never tracked it though, because I just assumed it was small pimples and was grateful I didn™t have anything worse. I'm in my early 30s now and have finally decided to do something about it (as of three weeks ago). I am just seriously over it. I know it is nowhere near as bad as what others are going through, but I am finding myself having forehead envy whenever I look at other people! I just want a smooth forehead for once!

A quick run down of my journey thus far because it might help others who find your post:
- My first guess was some kind of yeast imbalance (not sure where I came up with that, but I guess I was kind of on the money!). I put on the Nizoral Shampoo and - bam! - the little bumps and wrinkles literally disappeared. It was amazing. My forehead had never been so smooth. I ran out and bought the cream - which had little to no effect, so I gave up on Nizoral (mistake - I actually think the 2% cream was just not the right consistency and strength as opposed to the 1% shampoo!).
- I still thought it was a yeast imbalance though - so I went off the combination pill and went on a Candida cleanse. It has been really hard. I am currently only at the end of week 2 (it feels like week 10)! My diet was quite shocking prior. I think it has helped my skin somewhat - in terms of reducing my oiliness, which in turn seems to have reduced the problem.
- Then I thought maybe I do just have acne after all and all the little scaly lines are just sun damage and ageing. The problem was that anti ageing moisturisers made the condition WAY worse (bumpier and wrinklier) rather than better, and also I had one of those pics taken of my face that shows up sun damage a few years back and I had none on my forehead (and religiously wear sunscreen).
- When my skin kept flaring up from moisturisers and then started flaring up from tap water (am currently washing with filtered water - no joke) I started looking at contact dermatitis, which led me to Pityrosporum Folliculitis (now called Malassezia Folliculitis apparently, which is a yeast, so back to the Candida i idea - kinda!) When I started seeing pics of foreheads like mine, I went back onto Nizoral (alternated each day with Ionil T).
- Am only on Day 2 of a strict regime of washing morning and night with them, but already it's heartening. My complexion is also more consistent, as I was starting to get patches of what looked like rosacea on one of my cheeks. Your post has given me even more hope that I am on the right track! I was starting to lose confidence tonight (self-diagnosing can do that!) I am wondering though whether it is just drying my skin out ridiculously, but I am WAY too scared of putting a moisturiser on. At the moment I am just washing my face with Manuka Honey and aside from the shampoos that is the ONLY thing that touches it (aside from the filtered water and the air of course!).

I have two questions if possible:
- How long until you were able to stop the Nizoral?
- What moisturiser do you use?

Thank you so much again for sharing your story. It has given me a lot of faith! I™m going to try and attach couple of pics in different light (first one at home at night and the other in the office under a fluorescent light), so everyone can see what mine looks like. I am also attaching my first miraculous experience with Nizoral - in direct sunlightThis forum is so helpful, I just want to put as much info out there as possible. If I end up getting it completely under control like you, I™ll let everyone know too!

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

And my first experience with Nizoral below...

FullSizeRender.jpg

MemberMember
(@progressnotperfection)

Posted : 08/02/2016 11:31 am

Hi Girlonamission,

It's great to hear that you have started seeing results with the Nizoral! I swear by it, especially in the summer when my skin is extra angry due to sweating while exercising. I totally understand your "forehead envy"- I felt the same way!

To answer your questions, I use the acne.org moisturizer in the winter and Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer in the summer. I live in Colorado, so we have a very dry climate. If possible, I try not to use moisturizer at all when I am having a flare up. I am very careful about using argan oil or other oil products on my hair; I never get it anywhere near my forehead. I also read ingredients on my makeup carefully- I discovered that a MAC foundation, the Studio Sculpt, has YEAST EXTRACT in it. More yeast on my face?? No thank you.

I am able to stop the Nizoral "mask" after my PF goes away (usually 2-3 weeks) and only use it when I see that it's needed. If I see the bumps popping up, I'll leave the Nizoral on for 10 minutes twice a day, and it's under control by the next day. In between flare ups, I use the acne.org system or the Purelisse cleanser (which I love, but is expensive).

Let me know how everything turns out! Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@girlonamission)

Posted : 08/02/2016 3:29 pm

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I will definitely keep you posted!
Great to know I should stick with my no moisturiser routine for now - even micellar water made me flare up when I tried it (that was when I thought I was allergic to tap water - since then I read the chlorine in tap water can affect your skin barrier and make things worse - hence filtered water for a while). I am guessing micellar water might have oils in it that feed those annoying malassezia yeast!
I found this interesting site, which says you should make sure none of your skin care ingredients have a fatty acid chain of between 12 and 24, which feeds the yeast: [removed]
But there is not a lot we can do about it loving the oil in our skin I guess. I am going to keep trying different diet adjustments to see if it affects the make up of my sebum though.
Also - just on my last post I remembered why I initially thought it could be a yeast infection - because I linked it to going on the pill as a teenager which can affect hormones and cause yeast imbalances (including low immune system, but to be honest I've had a low immune system my whole life - lots of bouts of tonsillitis as a kid and teen, until scarlet fever killed my tonsils in my early twenties! Of course that means many rounds of antibiotics, which can trigger yeast infections too).
Thanks again - I'll definitely be picking up some of the oil-free moisturiser post treatment!

MemberMember
(@justlikethemakeup)

Posted : 08/03/2016 9:55 am

I TOO AM SOOO HAPPY THAT I CAME ACROSS YOUR POST! I started the acne.org regimen on June 8th. Maybe 4 or 5 weeks into the regimen, I could no longer take the buildup of dead dry skin that I had on my t-zone due to the BP, so I broke down and used my trusty St. IVES pink grapefruit exfoliating cleanser. BIG mistake! Although my zone was nice and smooth initially after cleansing, I woke up with a cluster of, as you accurately described it, 'braille' in between my brows, down the sides of my nose, mouth and chin. I was horrified because prior to the regimen, Ive always has smooth skin, which I also attributed to my exfoliants. My reason for starting the regimen was to help with old acne scars on my cheeks. But now?!?! I have to deal with that AND these new found bumps. I started to wonder if it was a purge, or truly a reaction to the St. IVES. Either way, it looks and feels like PF. Ive since put the St. IVES away and resumed the regimen. But its been about 2 weeks and its not improving these bumps at all. They're stagnant. Im def going to try incorporating the shampoo and see what happens next. I wonder how long I should substitute it for the cleanser. .. i guess until it goes away? Thanks so much for your help!!

MemberMember
(@progressnotperfection)

Posted : 08/03/2016 6:48 pm

Hey justlikethemakeup,

I hope the Nizoral works for you! Geez, it's like I'm an ambassador for that company or something, lol. I substitute the shampoo for cleanser until the PF goes away, or at least until I notice a significant improvement. I figure that if an imbalance is causing the reaction, I have to wait until the imbalance is corrected before the PF won't come back. Either way, you should know within the first few days whether or not it is PF or just a strange reaction to the St Ives. I noticed that when I did my trusty dead sea mud mask after using the regimen that my face was stinging really badly and I had to wash it off after only a couple minutes. Maybe something in the regimen makes your skin more sensitive to other ingredients? Let us know how it turns out!

MemberMember
(@girlonamission)

Posted : 08/09/2016 7:34 am

Hi progressnotperfection (and anyone else looking for tips to deal with this),

Just an update on my progress - my skin is looking so much better one week and a bit into my Nizoral Shampoo and Ionil T Shampoo treatment. But my normally oily skin is becoming quite tight and shiny-looking from dryness (my bumps are now teeny tiny hard looking bumps, which I hope is the Malassezia Yeast dying!). I don't think I would be having this problem if it was summer, but it is winter here in Australia. I have been desperate to find a moisturiser that doesn't feed the Malassezia Yeast that is causing my Folliculitis. My skin is quite oily and I've had this for about 15 years, so even a drop of moisturiser flares it up again like the first pic I posted in this thread. I have only been able to use Manuka Honey as a cleanser, which helps a little in keeping the skin a bit moist, but I am in my thirties, so paranoid about all the wrinkles my overly dry skin are creating.

BUT... drumroll please... I mentioned earlier that I read that Malassezia Yeast feeds on fatty acids with a carbon chain of between 12 and 24, which is pretty much all oils and many other cosmetic ingredients, so today I picked up MCT oil. It is basically a mixture of oils (coconut and something else) that have had all of the carbon chains over 12 removed (there is 1% of the 12 remaining). I nervously applied it to my face about half an hour ago with little hope that it would work (I have been disappointed over and over again even by oil-free moisturisers). BUT I just HAD to post an update in case anyone else is struggling to find a moisturiser because it has caused absolutely ZERO flair up. My skin looks very shiny from the oil, so but there is no redness or scaly wrinkly looking skin or bumps, which would have popped up immediately with any other moisturiser! This again confirms that it is Malassezia Folliculitis.

If this is as good as I think it is I will probably apply it as soon as I wash my face when I get home from work and overnight (and use it to do the Tanuka Massage that I have been loving because it has been clearing away my dark circles!). Then I will keep some in a spray bottle with filtered water to spritz a bit during the day. I might be getting ahead of myself - perhaps it will clog my pores or cause pimples or not soak into my skin enough to fully moisturise, but I am super impressed with my first impressions. I guess I will know more in the morning after sleeping with it on my face! PS If anyone else has used MCT oil and has any feedback or warnings, let me know! This surely has to have a catch!

MemberMember
(@girlonamission)

Posted : 08/17/2016 5:32 pm

Hi progressnotperfection,

Do you have a daily sunscreen that you use that doesn't flare up the bumps? I'm at the stage now where I've moved off Nizoral and onto Cetaphil Gentle Face Cleanser and Nutrogena Sensitive Oil Free Moisturiser. I just need a daily sunscreen now!

🙂

PS. After using the Nizoral I could see literally hundreds of little white hairs on my forehead if I looked REALLY close. I couldn't see them before and given the yeast lives in hair follicles and behaves like dandruff that would probably make sense - they were blocking the follicles and causing eruptions I'm guessing!

MemberMember
(@progressnotperfection)

Posted : 08/20/2016 10:37 am

The amount of research you've done about the chemical aspect of this is really impressive! I'm guessing that since you're stopping Nizoral the bumps have gone away?? Mine also "dried up", then kind of sloughed off before my skin cleared up. How was the oil working for you? I'm really curious about that!

I'm not proud of this, but I don't use a daily sunscreen. I haven't found one that fits easily into my routine and doesn't affect my skin conditions. When I'm spending time in the sun, I use either Neutrogena Clear Face or Coppertone Clearly Sheer on my face. I haven't seen any issues with these two. However, I'm really curious, given your research, if there is a better alternative!

You may want to consider starting your own topic about your experience and research withMalassezia Folliculitis. Sometimes people don't read comments in a forum and yours are SO helpful to understanding this skin condition. People should have this information!

MemberMember
(@girlonamission)

Posted : 08/20/2016 9:47 pm

Thanks progressnotperfection! The only sunscreen that hasn't made me breakout is Sunsense Sensitive Matt - BUT it has the most hideous tint that is almost pink/purple. I'm not sure what they are thinking. I am going to write to the company and beg they make it without the tint (have seen a lot of other reviews of people complaining about the tint too). I feel like this journey is two steps forward, one step back. The Nizoral REALLY helped and my skin looked wonderful - and then the other night I broke my currently strict diet and it all turned horrible again (and I broke out down the back of my thighs as well). It makes me wonder whether it is linked to an allergy. I am going to keep exploring (just started taking Thorne SF722 for potential Candida issues and Estroblock for potential hormone issues and Udo's Oil for potentially out of whack EFAs). Apparently any of the three can cause this - and for me it really could be any of them so in my own true style I'm going headlong into it and starting with all of them! I'll wean myself off them one by one if it fixes it, so I can work out which one has helped (if any!). And I think that is a great idea to start a thread to document my journey. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@yeastfighter)

Posted : 10/26/2016 7:53 pm

girlonamission & progressnotperfection, how are you doing with your malassezia folliculitis? Any updates, good or bad?

MemberMember
(@progressnotperfection)

Posted : 10/26/2016 9:14 pm

Thanks for asking! My skin is much better, though I still use the Nizoral when the texture of my skin gets... angry. Even just once a week keeps the bumps away. Other than that, I use the acne.org regimen.

MemberMember
(@kestelhomme)

Posted : 11/01/2016 2:53 pm

What's some good moisturizing products I can use. I'm on day 9 annnnd the bumps smaller now but still apparent. i think it might be caused by the johnsons baby lotion and Aveeno i dont know if its helping, but i need to put on something so my skin doesnt get flaky on my forehead. Also i've been continuing to use clean and clear deep action exfoliating scrub.

MemberMember
(@progressnotperfection)

Posted : 11/09/2016 11:15 pm

kestelhomme,

I'm glad to hear the bumps are smaller. It took a few weeks for mine to go away completely, but hopefully you're still seeing progress. I didn't have any luck with exfoliating products, so that's good that it's working.

For moisturizer, definitely go for something that is oil-free. I like oil-free Neutrogena moisturizer. It doesn't moisturize as well as other options, but the bumps aren't aggravated by it.

MemberMember
(@nalgeneblue)

Posted : 11/10/2016 12:55 am

Have you had any success with probiotic pearls?

I've had numerous skin issues related to my antibiotic abuse and found the pearls help keep it in check.

MemberMember
(@yeastfighter)

Posted : 11/23/2016 11:39 am

On 11/9/2016 at 10:55 PM, nalgeneblue said:

Have you had any success with probiotic pearls?

I've had numerous skin issues related to my antibiotic abuse and found the pearls help keep it in check.

Do you mean oral probiotics? Or are probiotic pearls used topically?

MemberMember
(@sav_2019)

Posted : 01/31/2017 7:17 pm

On 7/1/2016 at 8:28 PM, progressnotperfection said:

I am so grateful for this website! Without it, I may still be dealing with one of the worst skin conditions I've ever had. I wanted to write this in the hopes that someone else can benefit from my situation.

Starting in the summertime, I suddenly got hundreds of tiny little bumps all over my forehead. Assuming it was because of my bike helmet (I am an avid mountain biker), I washed my helmet and made sure to keep my skin clean. It did nothing to help my skin. Then, the bumps made their way down my temples. By the end of May, my face was covered with hundreds, if not thousands of tiny, flesh-colored bumps. No amount of makeup would cover it and my skin looked like I had a disease of some sort.

I've had acne since I was 16 (I'm 30 now), but this was something totally different. None of the bumps came to a head, they didn't hurt at all (like my cystic acne) and there was never any cycling through it getting better, then worse. It was always really bad. I assumed they were clogged pores, because if I squeezed them hard, eventually something would come out.

Of course I went to a dermatologist after 6 weeks of no results. I live in a small town, so our doctors aren't quite as good as other areas. She didn't even ask me to take off my makeup to have a closer look. I was diagnosed with demodex dermatitis (a type of mite that can irritate skin) and was given a prescription. As soon as I got home from the doctor, I looked up demodex dermatitis. I saw red, rosacea-like skin. Mine looked NOTHING at all like that! So, I started to do some research on my own. I kept a log of what I was finding online and products I was trying. It turned out to be over 30 different treatments, ranging from gycolic acid, salicyllic acid, benzoyl peroxide, oil cleansers, face masks, switching makeup, to hypoallergenic pillows, to all natural acne products, to proactiv, and prescription acne medication.

For over 3 months, I was trying anything and everything. When my baby nephew was born, I refused to hold him because I didn't know if my skin condition was contagious. On my 30th birthday, I wore my hair covering as much of my face as possible so my friends wouldn't see my skin. I spent much of my summer isolated from friends and other people. When anyone looked at me, I knew they were wondering about my skin.

Finally, one day I was looking at photos of skin allergies (I looked up so many skin photos in 3 months, it would amaze you), and I came across a photo of someone's forehead that looked EXACTLY like mine! I followed the link to find that the condition was called Pityrosporum Folliculitis (also called  Malassezia Folliculitis). The more research I did about PF, the more I realized, "OMG, this is what I have!" PF is a fungus overgrowth caused by an imbalance of the natural bacteria and fungus found on your skin. Gross, right? When the natural fungus on your skin isn't kept in line by bacteria, it can cause a major skin reaction. Well that's cool, especially because I've been using an antibiotic on my skin for a year (clyndamyacin). Here's what else I learned:

-PF feeds on oil so you need to use oil-free moisturizers during the outbreak

- antibacterial items remove bacteria, so they should also be avoided. That means no hand sanitizer, antibacterial soap, or Clyndamyacin

- there is a test for PF that is a simple swipe of the skin (though there was no way I was going back to my derm. They already proved themselves worthless twice)

- the treatment is a topical cream called ketoconazole

Fortunately for me, ketoconazole is also the active ingredient in a dandruff shampoo called Nizoral. Based on my research, the shampoo is often used to treat PF. I immediately went to the store and bought it. I did a test on the back of my jawline for 2 days to make sure I didn't have a reaction. I just left it on for a minute then washed it off. No reaction occurred, so I used it on my face. Here was the process:

Every morning and at night- do not skip a cleanse! Wet your face with warm water. Massage a quarter-sized amount of Nizoral on the affected area. Leave for as long as you can (sometimes I'd go 10-15 minutes, and yes, it tingles). Wash off with warm water and moisturize with oil-free moisturizer (I used Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Oil-free moisturizer). If I could stand it, I'd try to not even use a moisturizer to prevent adding excess oil to my skin.

Ladies and gentlemen, I noticed a change in about 3 days. The bumps were smaller and my face no longer felt like braille. After over 3 months of dealing with this horrible, self-esteem crushing problem, 3 days made a huge difference. I've attached photos of what I saw.  I saw ZERO results after 3 months, and actual progress in 3 days. I continued to use Nizoral twice a day for 3 weeks before the bumps dried up, then kind of sloughed off and completely went away. I also waited about a week before I incorporated any other acne medication into my routine. I figured, I'd rather have 4-5 zits then thousands of bumps. I still use Nizoral periodically to make sure this stuff NEVER comes back.

My biggest hope is that someone here can benefit from my experience. I wasted a lot of time and a LOT of money trying to make my skin condition go away, and all it took was a $8 bottle of shampoo from Target. Good luck to you!

left_0.JPG

med_gallery_434542_14023_1514653.jpg

UPDATE:  It has been a year since I went through this ordeal, and I just want to communicate that I still see small flair ups sometimes (though they are MUCH less than before) so every time that I go biking, or spend time in heat, I make sure to use my Nizoral for 5-10 minutes and it goes away, often overnight. That stuff is the only thing that works!

OMG this is exactly what my skin looks like right now, you just gave me hope. 

MemberMember
(@zealshorts)

Posted : 07/07/2017 12:39 pm

Hi I'm 29 years old had face acne since the age of 12 now my skin on my face is clearing up well although my back chest a parts of my neck are full of these tiny spot like bumps. I think we'll in pretty much certain it's PF but I need help. Nizoral hasn't helped me or head and shoulders. I don't know what to do. I'm getting married next year and I won't wear a wedding dress with my body looking the way it does! I have cancelled holidays/ spa days all sorts because I can't bear the sight of my chest and back! I only wear full cover t shirts now. Any advice please? My doctor prescribed duac a while back which obviously did nothing. I have read so much about PF just have no idea how I can't treat it? Iv uploaded a photo of my back. image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@progressnotperfection)

Posted : 07/09/2017 11:56 am

Hi ZealShorts,

I first of all want to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. Not only is this incredibly frustrating to not see results, but the mental toll of cancelling events or stressing about your wedding day must be exhausting. In that respect, the only thing I can say is to keep reaching out! Whether on this website, or with your fiance- I know there were many times I'd just curl up on the couch with my husband and cry. It can and will get better.

I have a few questions based on what you said:
1) Was your doctor a dermatologist? What did he/she diagnose the problem as?
2) How did you use the Nizoral?
3) Do you have any other symptoms that would point towards PF? I've read that some people experience itching (though I didn't), or not responding to any other medications.
4) Are you using any anti-biotics, whether they are ingested or topical?

My PF looked a bit different than yours, as you can see in the pictures. My bumps were flesh-colored, though that could be a result of it being on my face instead of my body. I looked around on the internet (though I'm sure you've spent hours doing this) just to understand some of the differences in what PF could look like. My biggest concern in you not responding to the Nizoral is that it's something different, so we just want to be sure so you aren't wasting time. While I've read that seleneum sulfide can be used (like in some Head and Shoulders products), I've had success with the  ketoconazole in Nizoral.

I'm also wondering about oral anti-fungals. Given the fact that you can't reach all areas that may need treatment, this may be a good option. From what I've read this morning, these are often the first line of treatment for PF on the body. Unfortunately, that likely means you need a prescription, but it could be worth it. Perhaps you can also go on a bit of an anti-fungal rampage if you will, with taking coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and other natural anti-fungals.

Again, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. As soon as the right treatment works, it will get so much better. I say, when that happens, you go with a backless wedding dress just to show off a little! :) 

MemberMember
(@zealshorts)

Posted : 07/09/2017 5:42 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! It's nice to hear from someone that may be able to help me. Iv had various creams for my skin over the years including most of the contraceptive pills as my doctor believed it was hormone related. When I was taking dianette my skin cleared tremendously although still present but hugely minimised but I couldn't stay on it because of risk factors so I was then prescribed Yasmin. This did absolutely nothing for my skin. Nizoral now seems to be helping slowly  although think it's early days yet. It's taking away the redness (not immediately after washing off but an hour or so later) and seems to be spacing out the pimples slightly. Yes I get incredible itching on my back for sure! It's worse at night or when im hot. I also seem to have what seems like dry skin that feels 'bitty' on the top of my back and my nose strangely enough which seems to tally up with pf. I do have bumps on my forehead but I'm not too worried about my face as iv kind of come to terms with it now as seeing it all them years ago with terrible acne this is the best it's been! And I can cover well with makeup. I can't do this on my body. I'm back to the doctors tomorrow to see what, if any, more help he can give me. I was on antibiotics a year ago for a water infection that was pretty bad. Although as I recall before this my back and chest were a lot clearer than they are now. I also took them 12 years ago again for a water infection. Iv ordered some pro biotics and I'm now (as of today) trying a sugar free diet. I actually feel helpless as I'm a bit of an immediate result type person and reading all about pf many don't seem to get fully cured which is so devastating to me. Iv attached a photo of my back taken this morning. 

image.jpeg

And another in different lighting. 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@progressnotperfection)

Posted : 07/09/2017 6:41 pm

I'm glad to hear that you are seeing some results from the Nizoral. Mine took about 2 weeks before I noticed huge changes, but the biggest immediate results were that the bumps I had seem to be drying up. I was religious with my cleanses, and seriously kept the Nizoral on until it turned clear.

Have you seen any information about this? It kind of looks similar to what you posted: http://keratosistreatments.com/keratosis-pilaris-on-the-back/

MemberMember
(@zealshorts)

Posted : 07/10/2017 1:23 pm

Oh yes it does look a lot like it but reading through descriptions most people get this on arms and legs and I don't have any issues there just back and chest and back of my neck. I'm now thinking it may be down to digestive issue perhaps I'm trying my best to keep off the sugar and eating lots of veg drinking lots of water etc I'm hoping to reintroduce sugars in small amounts in a month or so I can't live without any haha! I'm going to continue with the Nizoral and fungal cream iv now been prescribed and see. It's not making it any worse but can only see a slight improvement where as everyone else seems to be getting drastic improvements so I'm still unsure. I'll keep you updated if/when I find out any more :) feeling a bit better about it today even though it's still there trying to keep positive 

MemberMember
(@bonnyplatinum)

Posted : 09/11/2017 4:07 am

Hi guys I was just wondering how long it took yours to clear up because I've been using Nizoral religiously for 3 weeks today and I've noticed slight changes but not as massive as yours all seem to be.. here's a few photos of my skins (excuse the red scarring). I know you can't really see the little bumps in the photos but believe me, there's tonnes there! I've also been eating a really clean diet with only natural sugars etc. the big pimples on my forehead I've put done to eating some sugar last weekend 

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6764.JPG

IMG_6765.JPG

MemberMember
(@dounage)

Posted : 09/14/2017 11:26 am

Heey, I'm so glad I stepped into your post.
My condition is actually as yours.
I have never had acne in my life I always had clear skin.
I'm 19 now and on this year I started to get bumps on my forehead like tiny fleshy colored.
I literally started to try everything till I got an extremely dry skin and had to go to a dermatologist she diagnosed me with eczema.
Then after few weeks I cured my eczema thankfully.
But guess what, those tiny bumps just got worse it went from my forehead to my cheeks and chin, hundreds of them.
I went to another dermatologist, just like yours he didn't even ask me to take my makeup off to actually see my face.
he just said I have acne and that's normally for my age.

he gave me antibiotic, and Neutrogena deep clean scrub, and a cream called Ebaglow that contains tea tree oil and vitamins such as A and E and some vitamins supplements.

I'm on that for two weeks and no actual results!!
I had to use something called comedone extractor to extract some of those bumps because they're so annoying.
I see some immediate improvemen!
But hey there still some bumps that can't be extracted because they contain nothin
Definitely, I'll be checking into this Nizoral Shampoo!
And will give you an update!!

MemberMember
(@nicole_ca)

Posted : 09/26/2017 10:38 pm

Curious for any updates from you all on how things are going? Dounage any success? A biopsy confirmed pityrosporum folliculitis on me but Nizoral, Selsun Blue, even oral antifungals didn't work! I just don't get it. What's even worse is it keeps spreading. Ughhhh

Dounage liked