Overuse Of Acne Pro...

Notifications
Clear all

Overuse Of Acne Products Cause Oily Skin?

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 08/20/2015 3:57 pm

Hey guys..always just been curious about this as there is so much debate whether or not acne products (BP, exfoliators etc..) can cause the skin to become more oily?

Does stripping the skin really cause more oil to be produced? Or is it ALL internal...

Thoughts?

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 08/20/2015 7:28 pm

Very possible. I like to think that the skin overproduces oil to compensate for too much lost oil from overcleansing/overuse of products. I've experienced this myself, but you can also do a google search and find some people who've experienced the same.

MemberMember
(@dan-crow)

Posted : 08/24/2015 12:24 pm

Stripping the skin of its natural oils by using harsh cleansers or using too many products will almost assuredly cause your face produce more oil. When your face becomes too dry your skin tries to compensate for the lost sebum by overproducing oil Try using gentle cleansers or products on your face. Preferably products that are PH balanced without any harsh chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfates. Everybody's skin is unique so you have to adjust to what your skin can tolerate.

JLopez liked
MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 08/25/2015 5:25 am

Stripping the skin of its natural oils by using harsh cleansers or using too many products will almost assuredly cause your face produce more oil. When your face becomes too dry your skin tries to compensate for the lost sebum by overproducing oil Try using gentle cleansers or products on your face. Preferably products that are PH balanced without any harsh chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfates. Everybody's skin is unique so you have to adjust to what your skin can tolerate.

^

Agreed. Sodium lauryl sulfate really messed up my face for a few months.

MemberMember
(@sydney13)

Posted : 08/26/2015 11:09 am

Yes when you strip your skin of its natural oils and use a harsh astringent at night it can cause oil to produce

MemberMember
(@strongbadia5000)

Posted : 08/28/2015 6:35 pm

People write all the time that over washing and other external actions causes your skin to produce more oil but this has not been proven and no study exists to back up this claim. From personal experience I can say my skin gives me a lot more problems if I upset it's natural balance too much by doing things like using really harsh cleansers.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 08/29/2015 4:14 am

People write all the time that over washing and other external actions causes your skin to produce more oil but this has not been proven and no study exists to back up this claim. From personal experience I can say my skin gives me a lot more problems if I upset it's natural balance too much by doing things like using really harsh cleansers.

Have you tried washing your face 20 times in a day? Tell us how oily it gets when you wake up in the morning.

MemberMember
(@sarahacnebattle-com)

Posted : 09/06/2015 1:50 pm

Yes indeed, when you take away your skins natural oils and use a harsh products it can cause more oil to produce because it needs to compensate for that.