What Helps Your Ext...

Notifications
Clear all

What Helps Your Extremely Oily Skin? Sensible Answers Only.

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 05/27/2014 2:32 pm

For me, washing my face in less than ten seconds. It seems that the more I wash my skin the oilier it gets...

Really? How would you explain THAT?? Does your car get dirtier, the more you wash it? Does your house or apartment get dirtier, the more you wash it? I personally did an experiment with Sebutape Skin Indicators which I used as the way to measure sebum on my skin; as expected, I got the results that any reasonable person would expect: the more I washed my skin, the drier it got. I think you're just fooling yourself when you think that your skin supposedly got OILY when you washed it more often.

Ok i guess you dont know much about sebacuos glands. Skin is not steel. The more you wash and rub it, the more you stimulate the sebacuos glands and eventually your skin becomes oilier.

There is a cream in clinique, pore refining serum it is called. No color or perfume. It really absorbs oil for at least 8 hours. I am not that oily but i use it on special occasions before my make up, and i keep my make up fresh all night!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/28/2014 11:03 am

Most likely placebo like the reports of other people here. Also, don't encourage people to potentially starve themselves or embarass themselves socially by suggesting they should "go vegan". Acne and oily skin are already hard enough to manage by themselves.

So to summarize, all the statements that are quoted here are just plain lies. If you want to help people with oily skin, you should at least suggest solutions that have some science behind them, like I did in this thread: Anything else is just useless and can potentially harm the well-being of oily skin sufferers.

Bottom line: oily skin is determined by the sensitivity your sebaceous glands to male hormones.

Eating a vegan diet also helps my oily skin a ton. It is most definitely NOT a placebo affect. I used to have horribly oily skin. Within minutes of washing my face I could see oil coming out of my pores. Now I can last a lot longer (8-12 hours) before I feel like absolutely need to wash my face because of the oil.

It's only your imagination. Diet and sebum production are absolutely not related. If you're so sure, just post a study that proves the link.

Just avoid Fatty Meats and eat more Fiber Foods. Wash your face twice a day to remove excess oil so it does not clog your pores.

Eating fatty foods or fiber will not influence your oil production. Removing excess (whateved tha means) oil is useles too because your skin will continue to produce oil at a constant rate and will become oily again, for some people (like me before taking high doses of vitamin A) in a matter of hours.

For me, washing my face in less than ten seconds. It seems that the more I wash my skin the oilier it gets...

Really? How would you explain THAT?? Does your car get dirtier, the more you wash it? Does your house or apartment get dirtier, the more you wash it? I personally did an experiment with Sebutape Skin Indicators which I used as the way to measure sebum on my skin; as expected, I got the results that any reasonable person would expect: the more I washed my skin, the drier it got. I think you're just fooling yourself when you think that your skin supposedly got OILY when you washed it more often.

Ok i guess you dont know much about sebacuos glands. Skin is not steel. The more you wash and rub it, the more you stimulate the sebacuos glands and eventually your skin becomes oilier.

There is a cream in clinique, pore refining serum it is called. No color or perfume. It really absorbs oil for at least 8 hours. I am not that oily but i use it on special occasions before my make up, and i keep my make up fresh all night!

Bryan (may he rest in peace) is right. Washing your skin doesn't make it produce more oil, your skin is not conscious, it doesn't know what you're doing on the outside and is just producing sebum at a constant rate, this rate is determined by your sensitivity to male hormones like DHT. So you skin oil production is basically determined by your genetics.

The cream you're talking about has most likely milk of magnesia as active ingredient, and yes, it works well to make your skin look like it's not oily. But it's just a trick really, your skin is still producing as much oil as usual.

I guess now that Bryan is dead, I'll have to be the annoying guy who has to teach unpleasant truths about skin to ignorant people.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 05/28/2014 11:55 am

LOL, who is this Brian fellow and how do you know that he is dead?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/28/2014 1:37 pm

I happen to be on hair loss forums too, and he was one of the best contributors we had know on the forums.

We learned that he passed away a few months ago.

We need more educated guys like him to counter all the nonsense that can be said on the forums.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/28/2014 2:12 pm

Most likely placebo like the reports of other people here. Also, don't encourage people to potentially starve themselves or embarass themselves socially by suggesting they should "go vegan". Acne and oily skin are already hard enough to manage by themselves.

So to summarize, all the statements that are quoted here are just plain lies. If you want to help people with oily skin, you should at least suggest solutions that have some science behind them, like I did in this thread: Anything else is just useless and can potentially harm the well-being of oily skin sufferers.

Bottom line: oily skin is determined by the sensitivity your sebaceous glands to male hormones.

Eating a vegan diet also helps my oily skin a ton. It is most definitely NOT a placebo affect. I used to have horribly oily skin. Within minutes of washing my face I could see oil coming out of my pores. Now I can last a lot longer (8-12 hours) before I feel like absolutely need to wash my face because of the oil.

It's only your imagination. Diet and sebum production are absolutely not related. If you're so sure, just post a study that proves the link.

What? How do you have the authority to declare that I am imagining something? Changing my diet has decreased my sebum production and it has also decreased the sebum production of many others. You aren't helping anyone by ignoring people's success stories.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/28/2014 10:15 pm

They are not proofs, only anecdotes, and anecdotes posted by random people on the internet don't mean anything.

If you want to help other people, you have to bring proof. You can't? Then don't say anything.

MemberMember
(@tofupalace)

Posted : 05/29/2014 9:38 pm

I have been reading these forums for a very long time and remember Bryan well. He conducted one "experiment" on his self many years ago with some soap and sebutape, and concluded that washing skin had no effect on sebum production. A sample size of one proves nothing, and he of all people should have known this. His evidence was as anecdotal as anyone else's.

MemberMember
(@ivyl1206)

Posted : 05/29/2014 9:46 pm

Do you use moisturizer? I have extremely oily skin, it is so bad that my sister commented that she can fried eggs with my oil. Anyway, what helped me was Clean and Clear Moisturizer with Salicylic Acid and Paula's Choice Moisturizer. C&C has the cheapest moisturizer that does a great job with oily skin. Unfortunately it doesn't come with SPF, so when I use that I used it with Neutrogena Clear Face Sunscreen because Paula's Choice moisturizer is wayyyy too expensive.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/30/2014 1:37 am

At least Bryan measured his oily skin, he didn't just look in the mirror and said "oh well, I think it's less oily, let's give false hope to thousands of people on the internet!"

Again, a moisturizer, because adding more oil to your oily skin will make it less oily.

Sometimes, people's logic amazes me.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/30/2014 3:15 pm

They are not proffs, only anecdotes, and anecdotes posted by random people on the internet don't mean anything.

If you want to help other people, you have to bring proof. You can't? Then don't say anything.

I see the proof every day when my makeup isn't melting off my face by the end of the day. I'm not going to stop sharing what helps me with others.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 05/30/2014 3:48 pm

FredTheBelgian, it seems to me that the point of this forum is to share information and to encourage others. What is the point of you coming on here and simply criticizing or discounting other people's experiences? We all know that what works for one person may not work for another, but if one suggests a remedy it may well be worth trying for another person. None of us on here are doctors or dermatologists (you either I guess due to the nature of your comments) so we should be free to make suggestions and discuss our experiences without requiring formal documentation or citing medical studies!!

If paigems found a solution then who the heck are you to say it isn't so? You are way off base.

paigems liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/30/2014 5:35 pm

I don't agree with that, people here may seem good-hearted, but they do not realise the harm they are doing. I suffer from male pattern baldness, and at least, in that area, it's definitive, nothing natural will regrow hair, we know that to be a fact. Yet there are still people who will come to the hair loss forums now and then to claim that they've regrown their hair by going vegan or by stopping masturbation (this one is popular on the acne forums too).

You see proof? Again that's a misconception, it's not proof, it's just what you say, your word against another person's word.

Unless you can truly prove your claims (on hair loss forums, we demand before/after pictures obviously), just don't say anything, it's useless and you're not helping anyone. Plus you'll notice that everyone in this thread say something different helped them. From vegan diet to putting more oil on their face to reduce the oil on their face. Would people have to try them all? Does everyone have the time, patience and money for that? What happens afterwards when you found out you wasted your time and it did nothing?

The bottom line is, people need to focus on the science so they can avoid wasting their time, money energy and sometimes their dignity.

Isotretinoin, high doses of vitamin A, vitamin B5, estrogens (for women) truly reduce oily skin for example, and there are studies that prove it, so it wouldn't be a shot in the dark.

All the rest is garbage and wishful thinking.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 05/30/2014 5:56 pm

Have you ever heard of free speech? Guess not.

People here can talk about what has worked for them even if you consider it 'garbage'. Apart from being quite rude you are also rather narrow minded. The remedies that you quote for reducing oil production don't work for everyone (I know this to be a fact from personal experience with regards to both estrogen and vitamin B5) so it doesn't really matter how many studies 'prove' it ! !

If someone wants to try an 'alternate' or unconventional remedy then that is their choice.

MemberMember
(@phoeniciangirl)

Posted : 06/01/2014 12:55 am

I don't agree with that, people here may seem good-hearted, but they do not realise the harm they are doing. I suffer from male pattern baldness, and at least, in that area, it's definitive, nothing natural will regrow hair, we know that to be a fact. Yet there are still people who will come to the hair loss forums now and then to claim that they've regrown their hair by going vegan or by stopping masturbation (this one is popular on the acne forums too).

You see proof? Again that's a misconception, it's not proof, it's just what you say, your word against another person's word.

Unless you can truly prove your claims (on hair loss forums, we demand before/after pictures obviously), just don't say anything, it's useless and you're not helping anyone. Plus you'll notice that everyone in this thread say something different helped them. From vegan diet to putting more oil on their face to reduce the oil on their face. Would people have to try them all? Does everyone have the time, patience and money for that? What happens afterwards when you found out you wasted your time and it did nothing?

The bottom line is, people need to focus on the science so they can avoid wasting their time, money energy and sometimes their dignity.

Isotretinoin, high doses of vitamin A, vitamin B5, estrogens (for women) truly reduce oily skin for example, and there are studies that prove it, so it wouldn't be a shot in the dark.

that's true. agree with you

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/01/2014 8:21 am

Thank you! Someone with common sense at last , the first thing you need when you want to have success in something.

Free speech? Oh yes, the "everyone is entitled to an opinion" fallacy. Well that's simply not true, not everyone is entitled to his opinion. If I ask you your opinion about the political situation in Belgium, would you be able to answer me? No, you would say that you don't know, and that would be fine.

To have a say on something, you must know your subject well, you can't just come here and throw: "Oily skin can be cured by eating carrots! I know because I've eaten 30 carrots a day for 3 months and my oily skin disappared! You should try it!" And then say "What, you don't believe me, you say I'm full of it? But have you heard of freedom of speech?! I'm only trying to help!" You have to be aware of the consequences of your actions, even if it's just posting on a message forum.

The proven remedies I cited don't work for everyone, as every medical treatment, but at least they will work for a majority of people. That's the point, avoid wasting your time by trying things that are backed-up by science. But you're right, if people want to waste their time, money, energy and dignity, that's their choice.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/03/2014 9:28 am

Oh well, I've done everythine I can here. I will not repeat myself endlessly, I guess people just like to cling desperately to their fairy tale stories, because it gives them some hope that everything will be alright without using drastic methods.

Just remember this fact: oily skin, true oily skin is determined by your genes, and it will take some powerful stuff (medication, vitamin megadoses, lasers...) to keep it under control. You won't be able to get it under control by eating 4 apples a day and by running in your local park.

Good luck to everyone, Fred out!

MemberMember
(@skin-matters)

Posted : 06/08/2014 6:01 am

My tips:

Really good sleep - reduces the production of oil the next day

Short showers - less time in the shower the better, 3 - 5 mins - try for less minutes the better

Cool to warm showers - NO HOT showers

Shower gels - NO SOAPS (When i was at the Dermatologist last, the lady was brilliant and really nice. I was given samples of Neutrogena Oily skin wash - i changed to other shower gels after a year, the smell of it was very frustrating after a while)

Physical activity/exercise/being outdoors - possibly due to more oxygen intake into the body, weird it may sound it has some effect

Honey - which has not been heated to destroy it's properties - in tea or coffee (still trying it out, but im careful with it as no more than 2 teaspoons a day, as it can cause diabetes for obvious reasons - so please consume with care - short term and long term! Though it does seem to help, but only try in moderation)

Tips I have heard that may work:

Milk Thistle (currently trying)

Zinc - (currently trying)

Vitamin A - (currently trying)

Vitamin E

Things Ive tried:

Aloe vera bottled - 1 teaspoon a day for roughly a month - consumed/drank

Aloe Vera gel on my skin - natural and bought from the shops

Talcum powder

Baby powder

Prantal powder - the first time it felt comfortable on my skin, i stopped using it because it was expensive. I tried it again, it didn't have the same effect

I have to also think back in order to add to the list. Otherwise this is so far any info i have.

* I personally HATE THE FEEL of oil on my skin, it's gross, disgusting, sick, very uncomfortable, smelly and again makes me feel really unconfident. I totally dislike it. It's torture. I wish i never had it. I think its a condition, or might be a form of skin tinea I have caught or a virus in the body causing it, possibly in the stomach, liver or kidneys. God knows, otherwise im considering Orantane, very low dosage. Does anyone know, can i get a dosage of 2.5mg of Oratane? Or is 5mg the lowest currently?

MemberMember
(@excelicious)

Posted : 06/11/2014 8:51 am

>Just avoid Fatty Meats and eat more Fiber Foods. Wash your face twice a day to remove excess oil so it does not clog your pores.

Eating fatty foods or fiber will not influence your oil production. Removing excess (whateved tha means) oil is useles too because your skin will continue to produce oil at a constant rate and will become oily again, for some people (like me before taking high doses of vitamin A) in a matter of hours.

Bryan (may he rest in peace) is right. Washing your skin doesn't make it produce more oil, your skin is not conscious, it doesn't know what you're doing on the outside and is just producing sebum at a constant rate, this rate is determined by your sensitivity to male hormones like DHT. So you skin oil production is basically determined by your genetics.

The cream you're talking about has most likely milk of magnesia as active ingredient, and yes, it works well to make your skin look like it's not oily. But it's just a trick really, your skin is still producing as much oil as usual.

I guess now that Bryan is dead, I'll have to be the annoying guy who has to teach unpleasant truths about skin to ignorant people.

Arguing with so called "Know it alls" on the internet is not worth anyone's time and energy at all. This is my success story, and it is the truth. There are also many factors other than hormones that contributes to oil production like diet, exercise, stress level and age. The reason why Brian (RIP) doesn't have oily skin is due to his age. As you grow older your sebum production obviously declines as your hormone levels decline with age. Foods that stimulate testosterone like extremely high protein diet will increase sebum. There are many factors that affect hormones which will also affect the levels of sebum production. Please refrain from arguing because it is useless and pointless and will NEVER win anything especially on the internet.

The point of this site is to take the success stories of others and take it to consideration whether you apply it to your life or not. Good bye and have a nice day yall.

MemberMember
(@skin-matters)

Posted : 06/14/2014 11:46 pm

Oratane 2.5mg

I will ask my dermatologist, though I was wondering in advance, can it be purchased? What is the lowest dosage you can take orally?

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@skin-matters)

Posted : 06/19/2014 12:34 am

Has anyone tried this for there oily skin?

Reason why is because I know half a squeeze of lemon every second day in a glass of water helped my oily skin.

Im willing to try it. When i do i will post results.

Lemon Powder 100 grams [Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 06/20/2014 8:43 pm

BP keeps my face from getting too oily. I do drink milk thistle supplements, but I'm not sure if it helped me with the oilness. I also control my oilness with powder makeup. Works wonders.

Benzoil Peroxide has no influence on oily skin. Milk thistle could help a little because it elevates your estrogen levels. I would not recommend that to men.

Benyzol peroxide helps my skin stay dry

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/21/2014 6:17 am

How do topical lemon juice and benzoyl peroxide influence our male hormones and shrink our sebacecous glands again? Please explain.

MemberMember
(@skin-matters)

Posted : 06/21/2014 10:29 pm

Hey,

No, lemon juice is taken orally. I mean as a drink. The link i posted was for lemon powder tablets which for me is helping - to what i think so far. I feel a little less oily. But i plan on giving it a go for a month and see whether it changes or reduces the production of oil completely.

You really never know.

Honestly, think about it in say cures or chemicals or medications being accepted or rejected by the body for patients being healed by medicines, basic ones or very complex or how do you say it, sophisticated drugs, everyone is ultimately made up differently. Genetically and also physically. But for my reasoning to try all types of healthy alternatives or solutions to cure or help with oily skin, we all have a different body type.

There are so many herbs to treat all sort of diseases or problems. Whether for skin, nervous system, aches or pains, you have to have a positive approach and forward thinking ideas to try to come up with a solution to a problem. If you do nothing, nothing will arise from it.

You think I like showering everyday? Plus another two times on top of this because my skin plays up and I literally feel like jumping out of my skin. No i don't and i think it's just crazy.

If you arent providing useful info or solutions to oily skin. Or even discussing your situation with everyone to help yourself get your feelings out or discussing something positive then why are you being like this?

-----

Also,

I use a showergel currently to wash my body. Though somethting I heard and people swear by it even and im going to try it. Get some aspro clear, mix it with milk to make a paste, and apply it to the skin. It will clear rashes and eczema. I will be trying it soon enough for oily skin. At the moment I am trialling the lemon powder and also the lemon capsules when they arrive.

Otherwise, good luck to all!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/22/2014 1:27 pm

I created these topics:

And they aren't about feelings, like when you say, you "feel less oily", they are about scientifically proven solutions for oily skin.

MemberMember
(@acneficent)

Posted : 06/22/2014 6:57 pm

Vitamin d3 helped me.