Has Anyone Been To ...

Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Been To An Endocrinologist For Oily Skin?

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/29/2012 8:15 am

... I live in the UK = free healthcare ...

At least until the conservatives privatise the NHS...

I suggest we keep politics out of this forum. Talking about the state of our skin is miserable enough, I don't think we need politics to add to the misery huh.png

Anyway, Jsmithson, I have read a bunch of your posts over the past few months, some very interesting stuff, I might add, and I was wondering... Have you found a cure for your oily skin?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/29/2012 3:44 pm

... I live in the UK = free healthcare ...

At least until the conservatives privatise the NHS...

Oh yes, but I don't think this is suitable discussion for this forum. I only mentioned it because it was relevant to my experience, i.e. having these tests done costs me nothing, so I have no financial motive to avoid this test, which I think a lot of people in this topic feel like is a waste of time/money, when in reality, they might be saving themselves hassle in the long run...so what if it costs $500? I bet some of these people spend a lot more than that per year on cosmetics to control their oil production, ironically...I personally think medical opinion is almost always a worthwhile investment. I'm not saying you have got to have a hormone test, but visiting a doctor and see how open they are to prescribe you hormonal treatment without test might be worth it.

From my understanding of the US healthcare system, you can pick and choose your dermatologist anyway...just pick one that advocates hormonal treatment for acne, then you should get what you want.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 02/07/2013 6:46 pm

No,but i can confidently say jojoba oil has reduced my oily skin almost completely.

Why would putting OIL on your skin make it less oily?? eusa_think.gif smile.png

You wouldn't think it would work, but many people on here have noticed a tremendous decrease in oil production when using an oil that is very similar to human sebum, such as jojoba oil. People tend to think it tricks your skin into thinking it already has enough oil, therefore doesn't produce the massive amounts it used to.

If hormones control oil production, I don't see how anything applied topically can reduce sebum

I have been to an endocrinologist before, but for a different reason, anyway, my regular GP did a test to see my hormones were normal, and my results were pretty normal and I do have extremely oily skin. I don't think it's always to do with an imbalance, in some people it is, in some people it isn't.

I have no idea how much it costs to see an endocrinologist, I live in the UK = free healthcare

By the way, there is no reason why a regular physcian/doctor couldn't do a hormone test, I assume that would cost less? If not, you might be better off getting insurance.

You don't have to go to a doctor to get lab tests done...There are retail chains that you can go to and get any kind of test available. I use Any Lab Test Now.