Staring at a comput...

Notifications
Clear all

Staring at a computer screen alot? Look in here.

MemberMember
(@xn)

Posted : 08/25/2010 8:10 am

I would call it a stick with two ends. When I`m at PC, I dont pick my skin, and touch it rarely in general (thats a plus). But on the other hand, too much time at PC has a serious impact on your body in general, could lower your immunity and drain your forces to fight/heal acne. And there is a lot of bacteria on keyboards and mice, and then the CRT monitors...

MemberMember
(@mystril)

Posted : 11/11/2011 8:13 am

I think it's a casual correlation.

Almost all 90s and further get glued to the PC screens. And the advent of processed food contributes only to the current teen generation's acne problems. And teens today are more likely to snack and get obesed. Just take a look at world's population of obesity.

Also, Liver overtaxed due to random and constant GI spikes by fast-acting carbs in large quantities.

E.g, wolfing down a pack of extra value pack of Oreos' Double Vanilla within an episode of How I met your Mother.

But I do find your observation thought-provoking. Do LCD / CRT (if anyone still using) leads to oily skin.

In fact, the heat from LCD could be the trigger. As LCD gets larger, the more backlight is needed. Some monitors spam like backlights like a searing torchlight in order to artifically boost their contrast level. This results in uneeded brightness and as well as heat. Try and feel the back of your LCD.

It's interesting but for acne-sufferers like us, it's a long journey ahead.

MemberMember
(@captainsunshine)

Posted : 11/11/2011 8:40 am

It's an old thread, but might as well update it with an amazing bit of software to download: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It makes the colour of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. It's great for late night reading.

MemberMember
(@angelmichu)

Posted : 11/20/2011 11:59 am

hmmm... i've been considering what i read here.. i do use computers basically all day long... but the truth is im not convinced that could be the issue. Mainly because i've had periods of lots of acne issues (like atm) and periods where i get just one or 2 pimples... and my use of computers hasnt changed. And also.. there are days that my skin is wayyy more oily than other days.. and again.. I still use the PC for the same amount every day.

I like to attribute my over oiliness on some occasions to the changes in weather.

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 11/20/2011 12:18 pm

I don't even know where to begin here...

MemberMember
(@limpbizkitfan)

Posted : 12/11/2011 5:00 pm

I barely go on the computer nd my skin is still so oily. I only go on it when I get home for only a few hrs

MemberMember
(@exaggeratedanalysis)

Posted : 12/22/2011 11:41 pm

WOW! I never even considered this. I noticed that my acne tends to get worse on lazy days. (days I lay in bed on my laptop all day) ,but the correlation between acne and the computer could be possible.. I'll have to try this! Thanks!

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 12/23/2011 4:59 am

although some of this may be true, it is not entirely true. i have a friend who spends hours and hours on the computer and he has perfect skin. i dont know about the light from the computer, but it could be from staying indoors for a long period of time, not getting fresh air, etc. also, there are a lot of pro computer gamers who spend 10 hours a day playing computer games with perfect skin,

proof

[Edited image link out]

these guys are professional computer gamers, they spend hours in front of the computer screen

MemberMember
(@tross87)

Posted : 12/31/2011 5:14 pm

QUOTE (ben90 @ Jun 17 2010, 12:40 PM)

Right, so first off il say i've had acne for a long time, all through my teens so its not a recent thing. I've always played alot of computer games, starting off with consoles and moving onto the PC when I got upto like 16, and this is when my acne started getting worse.

Now im assuming that if most people here are like me, they spend hours inside on the PC staring at a bright monitor because their too ashamed to go out. I also realise that oil production is the main reason for acne, after all without the excess oil you dont get spots, hence accutanes effectiveness most of the time.

The reason I started this thread is because for me, there is a CLEAR correlation between looking at a computer screen and oil production. The longer I look at one, the more oily my skin becomes, and the pores around the side my nose become noticeably larger. I've spoken to a couple others who also found this to be the case, but for some reason never connected the two.

Now though, i've barely touched my computer that I play CSS on for almost 2 weeks, and only used the laptops for 30 mins max without a break and I have to say the difference in oil production is actually INSANE! Its more than halved, without being generous. As a result, my skin is becoming a fair amount better, and I am only recovering from my 2 week binge on the computer since I left it. Since I have had only one new spot, ONE!

I honestly urge people to keep an eye on this and post any feedback they find, as I feel its a real big cause for most without realising, and is obviously something that can be quite easily sorted out, Its a painfully boring first two weeks, but it makes such a difference and is definately worth it.

(p.s) I really had no idea where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong section.

I think this connects to several things:

things which can improve skin:

exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air (more oxygen)

things which are decreased the longer you spend on a computer:

exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air

I think sedentary lifestyles exacerbate acne symptoms, even if you dont go outside you will get more exersize doing most things which dont involve staring at a screan cause usually when you are staring at a screen you are sitting in the dark doing... not much.

being at all active also decreases stress levels which have been connected to skin and overall health.

Pretty much this, computer monitors have nothing to do with it.

It sounds crazy, but very possible. Think about it: certain types of light DEFINITELY affect acne. Sunlight, obviously. Red and blue light supposedly destroy acne bacteria. Lasers are used to slow sebaceous glands. Maybe the light from a computer screen does in fact exacerbate acne/oily skin. I research on the computer at least a few hours a day, and my skin is very oily. I need to find out what type of light a computer screen produces.

Red/blue light have to be at a specific wavelength to affect acne, and they have to be very bright and powerful. Computer monitors (and tvs) actually emit blue light though, not on the same wavelength and not nearly powerful enough to have any effect on acne though.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 01/27/2012 4:46 pm

Right, so first off il say i've had acne for a long time, all through my teens so its not a recent thing. I've always played alot of computer games, starting off with consoles and moving onto the PC when I got upto like 16, and this is when my acne started getting worse.

Now im assuming that if most people here are like me, they spend hours inside on the PC staring at a bright monitor because their too ashamed to go out. I also realise that oil production is the main reason for acne, after all without the excess oil you dont get spots, hence accutanes effectiveness most of the time.

The reason I started this thread is because for me, there is a CLEAR correlation between looking at a computer screen and oil production. The longer I look at one, the more oily my skin becomes, and the pores around the side my nose become noticeably larger. I've spoken to a couple others who also found this to be the case, but for some reason never connected the two.

Now though, i've barely touched my computer that I play CSS on for almost 2 weeks, and only used the laptops for 30 mins max without a break and I have to say the difference in oil production is actually INSANE! Its more than halved, without being generous. As a result, my skin is becoming a fair amount better, and I am only recovering from my 2 week binge on the computer since I left it. Since I have had only one new spot, ONE!

I honestly urge people to keep an eye on this and post any feedback they find, as I feel its a real big cause for most without realising, and is obviously something that can be quite easily sorted out, Its a painfully boring first two weeks, but it makes such a difference and is definately worth it.

(p.s) I really had no idea where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong section.

I've heard this before, but could you at least attempt to explain it? And just because there is a correlation doesn't mean there is causation. There are plenty of other factors to consider like diet, exercise, getting some sun...

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 01/28/2012 7:44 am

Wow, it's been a while since i've posted here, didn't realise my thread had so many posts!

I've heard this before, but could you at least attempt to explain it? And just because there is a correlation doesn't mean there is causation. There are plenty of other factors to consider like diet, exercise, getting some sun...

MemberMember
(@6n4m)

Posted : 02/13/2012 9:43 pm

Well, that hasn't been my experience at all. My oiliness went down during the summer when I never left the house and was on the computer all day. It's goes up every time school starts up and I don't use the computer as often.

MemberMember
(@mystril)

Posted : 03/01/2012 6:16 pm

computer screen & sebum production can have correlation but definintely not causation.

1. what diet you have

2. what genetics you have

if the sample size is n=1, i am afraid this could mislead worried forumers.

MemberMember
(@broscience)

Posted : 11/17/2012 3:24 am

I have noticed that people who use computer in a lighted room do not have acne. I have always liked to use computer in a pitch black room and maybe that is the reason why the stereotypic nerd is usually linked to acne.

MemberMember
(@eg6947)

Posted : 11/17/2012 7:52 am

How about TV screens? Almost everyone watches TV on daily basis!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/19/2012 11:57 am

This topic needs to be deleted. It's a complete load of *****, I'm sorry, I bet some idiot is already convinced that using the computer is the cause of their oily skin....

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 11/22/2012 12:45 am

Nah everytime I study for an exam I'm in the computer for about 6-8 hours and I do notice my face getting really oily but it could be stress from studying or maby there is a correlation, either way my face is oilier than the gulf of Mexico.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/29/2012 5:45 pm

sounds like bull

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 12/30/2012 1:11 am

So, is this stupid and a complete lie or is it possible? all this is doing to be honest would be making some users worry or anxious, like me.

Ever since I was 11 or so I used the computer A LOT some days, even in the dark, didn't get any pimples. Now that I'm 17, I still use the computer, but I get pimples.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 12/30/2012 9:36 am

Might be something to do with the eyes (obviously, if this thread is anything to go by), as in, some sort of mechanism the human body is used to, producing more oil when the eyes are exposed to sunlight (or bright lights), in order to protect the skin from harmful rays the sun emits. So, your body is actually being fooled by the artificial lights/glare from our computer/TV screens and other light sources etc.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/30/2012 11:52 am

Oil production is purely under hormonal control, not under light control or anything like "your skin overcompensates, creating more oil to make up for my balls"...

MemberMember
(@oilyskin97)

Posted : 02/07/2021 12:26 am

On 6/17/2010 at 7:40 AM, ben90 said:

On 6/17/2010 at 7:40 AM, ben90 said:

Hi, I notice my skin also get super oily while staring at a screen. When i barely stare at it, its less oily.

MemberMember
(@milkysweet)

Posted : 03/17/2021 2:36 am

I always use my computer every day and lately, I noticed that my face gets oily easier. :(