Notifications
Clear all

What to try next? (at wits end...)

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 08/27/2019 11:04 am

20 minutes ago, Pianina said:

Do you mean that kidneys could be behind those problems? That I should get some kidney supporting supplements or something like that? 
I ended up buying some glycolic acid as I found an affordable option, from the Ordinary. Kinda the same for me with acids - when my skin is at it's best, acids might suit well, but any other time it's a disaster. I think there are some issues with my skin's moisture barrier 

Hi, yes Kidney problems can be behind it; obviously I'm a strange on the internet, so you can check that out :) 

I tried The Ordinary Glycolic acid and found it very drying. I ended up using it for smooth skin on my body instead! The Lactic Acid 10% with HA spheres made my skin more moisturised as it's weaker and has Hyaluronic Acid in it. Everyone is different though and many people rave about GA! I've found myself having clear skin right now with the most gentle/minimal facial care routines and minimal supplements (Omega 3 being the one I can't cut). I just read a research article today, which found that a Vit C supplement of 500mg has a pro-oxidant effect when compared to 100g of apple, which provides the equivalent anti-oxidant effect of 1500mg of food-based Vit C! Have switched my supplements for food-based equivalents (i.e. 2 Brazil nuts first thing for Selenium).

Hope you manage to figure it out!

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 08/28/2019 11:26 am

On 8/27/2019 at 6:04 PM, Foodforthought said:

Hi, yes Kidney problems can be behind it; obviously I'm a strange on the internet, so you can check that out :) 

I tried The Ordinary Glycolic acid and found it very drying. I ended up using it for smooth skin on my body instead! The Lactic Acid 10% with HA spheres made my skin more moisturised as it's weaker and has Hyaluronic Acid in it. Everyone is different though and many people rave about GA! I've found myself having clear skin right now with the most gentle/minimal facial care routines and minimal supplements (Omega 3 being the one I can't cut). I just read a research article today, which found that a Vit C supplement of 500mg has a pro-oxidant effect when compared to 100g of apple, which provides the equivalent anti-oxidant effect of 1500mg of food-based Vit C! Have switched my supplements for food-based equivalents (i.e. 2 Brazil nuts first thing for Selenium).

Hope you manage to figure it out!

I'm thinking about purchasing Innate's Adrenal Response supplement with Ashwagandha and other herbs, it's supposed to be good for adrenals and kidneys. 

Oh damn, hope I can tolerate the GA... if it's so drying then it will be a no-go for my ultra sensitive skin. Will try the Lactic Acid one, if GA won't work. 

Didn't know that about vit c supplement, wow... Good thing I eat a lot of apples! Sometimes using apples with my celery or pumpkin juice, though celery has loads of potassium and is probably not a good match with Spiro. But celery makes my digestion work so well. 

Yeah I guess taking a lot of supplements isn't ideal, I'm taking a bit less right now, just Inositol, Chromium, Collagen with msm and probably gonna include the Adrenal Response one. Was also taking omega for most of the year, taking a break now kinda. How much omega do you take?

Thinking maybe I should include maca again. As I remember taking a lot of supplements kinda worked for me in winter and early spring, I managed to avoid some of my annual post-winter huge itchy pimples this year

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 08/30/2019 6:44 am

I take 5mls on a medicine spoon of the Nordic. I notice that whenever I run out of Omega 3 my acne comes back - ESPECIALLY if eating lots of almonds. I can actually eat Omega 6 rich foods like nuts as long as I take fish oil!

Strangely have found that a gentle facewash called REN Rose Centafolia gel keeps my skin calm too... have tried tons of other 'gentle' ones abroad and my skin has never been as nice as with this one!

Am just glad that the Differin is working for me and not had spots since. Can be way less fussy with food as a result! Will be switching to Azelaic Acid twice a day when Skinoren comes back into stock... I've decided to stick to published research articles in my mission to control acne and it's been working!

MemberMember
(@seashellstarfish)

Posted : 11/06/2019 11:08 pm

The Spiro is working for me. It took several months to clear me up, but it did it. Also washing with salicylic gel wash and I apply a benzoyl peroxide treatment all over my face after I moisturize. I tried the natural route before too with diet and supplements, fearful of the pharmaceutical drugs. But honestly, after getting hit with cystic acne again at age 32- Ill stay with the medications.