Notifications
Clear all

Retin A for light cystic (hormonal) acne??

MemberMember
(@bad__skin)

Posted : 04/02/2018 10:44 pm

Hello all! I am new to the community but I have a few questions.. I have pretty light cystic acne that is hormonal caused by my IUD. I am 18 years old and have light skin. I have some scars but not a ton. Overall, my skin is pretty good but I get new cyst break outs about every 2 weeks and frequently have to get shots in them.

I currently use AktiPak and have been on it for a few months. It has reduced my cyst breakouts to about 3 large cysts a month.

Recently my dermatologist gave me Retin A claiming it would kill the underlying bacteria causing the cysts.

I am very scared about starting Retin A! There is no good time to start it because something always seems to be coming up!

I am just wondering if the side effects (peeling/redness/flakes/breakouts) will be was severe since my skin isnt bad to begin with? Does it really work?! Im afraid it will make my skin bad and never better again...

I would love clear skin by June 18th! (it is currently april 2nd)... any thoughts/advice?

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 04/04/2018 1:07 pm

A fern prescribed this for me but I honestly didnt keep up with it. It dried my skin out like crazy and it cause lots of new acne to form:(

*derm prescribed it

MemberMember
(@lmse21)

Posted : 04/05/2018 10:00 am

Hello! I was given retin a as treatment as well- it has been working for me! It does however make my skin super dry and red, so I spot treat usually on nights where I have nowhere to be that next day. If its a particularly large cyst that is there or starting to heal, dont be surprised if it takes a week for the medicine to really dry it out well! I have used it on one particularly nasty healing cyst, and it helped a ton, but when it gets TOO dry ill stop and put a honey dressing on the area I help keep it clean and moisturize it. CVS has some good Manuka honey dressings. Hope his helps!