Notifications
Clear all

hormonal acne

MemberMember
(@debonairsail)

Posted : 11/04/2017 11:09 pm

I've always been acne prone since my sophomore year of high school I broke out dramatically but over the years it seemed to balance out to the point where I didn't mind it as much. It still bothered because I would not leave the house without make up. I am now about to be 20 and this last summer I went through a lot of stress (breakup, college, work) and I even gained 14LB. I also have anxiety so it makes it harder to deal with stress in my opinion. I stated breaking out dramatically on my chin, cheeks, neck, back, chest, forehead... I've tried everything. I've tried brushes, peel masks, scrubs, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, drinking teas, vitamins, lysine, omega3, I've even tried cutting off dairy and eating more healthy... I've tried everything. Ive gone to the doctor but everything they recommend is so expensive... I have a consolation with a dermatologist in 2 months but I know that anything they give me I wont be able to afford. if anyone can relate to a point or have any advice on managing hormonal acne I would be more than thankful! I've honestly felt really down about the way I look... Im even planing on taking time off school to focus on helping myself with my social anxiety that acne has caused me. its been supper had for me to actually get out of my house the past months... and I forgot to mention that my period have been late as well.. I've missed like 2-3 weeks but the doctor said its fine? which I sort of don't agree

MemberMember
(@lanaodel)

Posted : 11/05/2017 6:51 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Stress really does affect acne for some of us, I too have an anxiety disorder and when I was younger it was much worse, and so my acne used to flare up too. I also found that a late period/bleeding between etc (any major hormonal change) creates a huge flare up. I understand that you've tried everything, but one of the best things I did was stick to a routine set of products rather than try things for a while and decide they don't work. I have tried everything natural, medical, prescribed etc. But I found best results from my dermatologist. It is expensive but in the long run you actually probably spend less than you have on all the other products/treatment/diet as the dermatologist brands usually last longer (from my experience with different products 5-8 months compared to constantly buying off the shelf). I also tried skin accumax (retinoids) and these helped massively with control (you can get special value kits for acne). I recently also bought a neutrogena light mask which is the cheapest available through amazon and it worked wonders for me.
I use Image skincare who have specific lines of products for different treatment (but best get advice from derm if you're interested), these have worked more than any other product for me. They are expensive and very p probably out of my budget, but as I said, they last such a long time and for me showed near immediate effect.
As for balancing hormones themselves, I'm still struggling with that one..It is sometimes said that two cups peppermint tea a day helps balance and I must say I did notice some changes. I also do the lemon+hot water bit cliche but personally I see a difference.
Again the de stress is a big one. i did an overhaul on my anxiety earlier this year and had a clear(ish) spell as I was so relaxed!
And using good makeup as well, finding one that suits your skin.
Just some things that I have tried on my many struggles with acne, probably tonnes more that I've forgotten...hope it is some help! Good luck!