Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal acne? Red marks ? pics included !!

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 11/23/2016 11:05 pm

Im 27 yrs old starting breaking out more frequently now more than ever. all along my jawline. Thought it was hormonal .. I do not have any symptoms of pcos only acne . Thought maybe high androgens?  when I had my daughter two years ago my skin was glowing during pregnancy and while I was breastfeeding .I've never taken any b.c and hate putting unneccessary  chemicals in me I eat clean I am
into weightlifting 7xweek take supplements omega -3 probiotics , etc. My breakouts were limited to only the right side of my face with a lot of red marks w active acne more big red pustules Come and go and more bumpy ones ( as u can see in the larger areas) Started using Cerave  now my left side which was clear is now breaking out so I stopped that .
image.jpegI don't have insurance so I can't afford to get these hormonal lab tests done .. Anyone have suggestions or know what it can be ? 
MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/24/2016 12:26 pm

Cerave made me breakout, too. Especially the hydrating cleanser. It was awful -- super thick and felt like greasy saran wrap on my skin. I've just forced myself to go back to Neutrogena since for some reason, their oil-free cleanser is the only thing that doesn't give me horrible forehead breakouts. I hate all their other products, really ironic.

Anyway, yes, the areas in which you're getting acne are definitely hormonal breakout hot spots. If it gets worse during ovulation, it could be from your T levels being too high. That can make your skin really oily too. The only thing you can do is look into treatments like the pill or Spiro, or see a naturopath and try to correct it with diet and herbal remedies. Eliminating dairy is also a good idea.

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 11/24/2016 1:39 pm

@cloudydreamer thank you for your reply . Yes I was using the cerave hydrating cleanser bc my skin was getting red and irritated but all those fatty alcohols and triglycerides I think just made it worse . Switched up to neutrogena naturals cleanser , salicyclic pore astringent , and now castor oil for moisturizer .
Def am considering a naturopath or looking for alternatives to spiro ( spearmint teA, licorice , peppermint , white peony ) , bc at this point I do not think topically will help.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/24/2016 6:26 pm

Check out my posts on low histamine diet & lifestyle. Avoid any cosmetics/washes with SLS/sulfites...this looks like an allergic reaction (topical)

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 11/24/2016 8:58 pm

@WishCleanJust took a look at your personal post (never thought about the tomatoes) and I used to get really red and itchy rashes almost even upon waking up nothing on my skin, had to douse my face in bendryl topical nd hydrocortisone, All bc I think of a retinal cream I tried to use and had to throw away. most of the red marks are flat only some active under the skin type breakouts but it looks alot worse of the redness.

What are you using to cleanse your face with now? I am trying to go back to more natural cleansing (i.e oatmeal, baking soda, ACV, and castor oil.

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 11/25/2016 2:49 am

Dr Bronners Pure Castile Pepperment soap is an amazing natural cleanser! If you check out my one and only skin blog post (all natural) i really think it could clear your skin up! :)

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 11/25/2016 12:58 pm

@Naturalcure1I looked into this, I thought peppermint or anything with fragrance (citrus, menthol, camphor) can be irritating to the skin . Especially mine is very sensitive.

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 11/25/2016 1:45 pm

@swoleMomYour correct about fragrance, however this soap does not contain fragrance. It is 100% organic and fragrance free. The reason it is called "Peppermint" soap is because it is made with Pepperment Oil, which is one of the best essential oils for your skin/acne.

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 11/26/2016 7:14 pm

@Naturalcure1 alright, I will take a look into it :D. Have you looked into any effects of spearmint tea or
any of the above as natural anti androgens?

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 11/27/2016 9:36 am

Yes! I have heard turmeric is as well. You may also want to look into "candida overgrowth" it looks like that could be your problem.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/29/2016 7:26 pm

On 11/24/2016 at 8:58 PM, swoleMom said:
@WishCleanJust took a look at your personal post (never thought about the tomatoes) and I used to get really red and itchy rashes almost even upon waking up nothing on my skin, had to douse my face in bendryl topical nd hydrocortisone, All bc I think of a retinal cream I tried to use and had to throw away. most of the red marks are flat only some active under the skin type breakouts but it looks alot worse of the redness.

What are you using to cleanse your face with now? I am trying to go back to more natural cleansing (i.e oatmeal, baking soda, ACV, and castor oil.

I use BioClin (I get it from European pharmacies), and have also used Boscia cleansers from Sephora before with no irritation.
Baking soda is good, but I recommend only using it a few days a week to exfoliate, and use a cleanser every day too.

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/29/2016 7:33 pm

On 11/24/2016 at 1:39 PM, swoleMom said:

@cloudydreamer thank you for your reply . Yes I was using the cerave hydrating cleanser bc my skin was getting red and irritated but all those fatty alcohols and triglycerides I think just made it worse . Switched up to neutrogena naturals cleanser , salicyclic pore astringent , and now castor oil for moisturizer .
Def am considering a naturopath or looking for alternatives to spiro ( spearmint teA, licorice , peppermint , white peony ) , bc at this point I do not think topically will help.

Just make sure to see if your hormone levels really call for Spiro. Maybe a saliva kit or blood test.

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 11/30/2016 2:45 pm

@cloudydreamer Of course i want to get this checked out before I even mess with my hormones and make it worse .. Dunno whether to go to a naturopath  or better an  endocrinologist first . Also below here is my skin been breaking out in these rough little bumps - dunno if it's blackheads whiteheads, it's noticeable though ? Any thoughts salicyclic acid? B.p? Sulfur ? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/30/2016 3:29 pm

13 minutes ago, swoleMom said:
@cloudydreamer Of course i want to get this checked out before I even mess with my hormones and make it worse .. Dunno whether to go to a naturopath  or better an  endocrinologist first . Also below here is my skin been breaking out in these rough little bumps - dunno if it's blackheads whiteheads, it's noticeable though ? Any thoughts salicyclic acid? B.p? Sulfur ? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They look like a mixture of papules and cc's to me. Gentle exfoliation once or twice a week can help. Maybe with a baby washcloth for sensitive skin. Avoiding products with fatty alcohols may help. Also, double cleansing when you remove makeup helps keep pores open, too. I do a quick steam treatment every other night to open up my pores and then I wash a second time to get rid of anything left that my makeup wipes and cleanser didn't catch. 

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 11/30/2016 4:10 pm

@cloudydreamerI'm thinking its that or makeup a mix of makeup mixed with sweat since I workout with makeup on bc I'm too embarrassed to ever go out with my face bare. I have tried s.a it's kinda strong and I heard b.p can cause more redness , im doing oatmeal and baking soda couple times a week , I will look into washcloth I think I need something that will wipe everything clean . Yes def not using cerave any more

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/30/2016 5:04 pm

52 minutes ago, swoleMom said:
@cloudydreamer I'm thinking its that or makeup a mix of makeup mixed with sweat since I workout with makeup on bc I'm too embarrassed to ever go out with my face bare. I have tried s.a it's kinda strong and I heard b.p can cause more redness , im doing oatmeal and baking soda couple times a week , I will look into washcloth I think I need something that will wipe everything clean . Yes def not using cerave any more

Ugh yeah working out with makeup on is an instant recipe for acne for most people. :( It clogs your pores SO badly. I get how you feel, though. Can you just exercise outdoors in an open space away from people vs. the gym for a while? 

Baking soda is a big culprit for making skin worse. It's way too irritating and harsh. Make sure the oatmeal isn't too rough either. 

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 11/30/2016 7:13 pm

@cloudydreamerI know I cant stand it, I wish my skin was to the point that maybe only a little concealer will do not heavy foundation. I even get embarrassed just to be outside in my neighborhood no makeup on. Im a big weightlifter but i can switch it up for maybe a few days or a week. I also am reacding posts about getting more natural Vitamin D not something Im big on even though I live in Florida, since Im like skin and always indoors in the gym

In regards to baking soda I can feel it kinda drying so only do it once a while, the oatmeal I grinded it down into a powder. Today I just used my neutrogena naturals makeup cleanser since i been breaking out more, toned w organic ACV, then Im not sure whether I should treat with S.A or B.P tonight to just let everything come out of my pores. Soemtimes I get glycolic chemical peels, and results only last for so long until its back to same thing.

MemberMember
(@nicool98)

Posted : 12/02/2016 2:37 am

I have a similar situation, I was originally hoping to solve my condition naturally too but was far too impatient, now I'm soon to start accutane..

However, prior to my decision to accutane while I was weighing my options, I almost chose to try the herbal supplements and natural treatment listed on thelovevitamin.com !

Have not tried it personally, but seems reputable and the woman herself is proof she's onto something. Good luck!!

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 12/02/2016 11:21 am

@Nicool98Thanks I will take a look at the site. I'm all about natural remedies but sometimes they just don't work . Best to experiment and you never know.

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 12/03/2016 9:48 am

Update :b.p is helping bring out the closed comedones and still using salicyclic acid. Trying to get some Aha anyone have recommendation? Hoping this will help my skin tone and texture get rid of these bumps and help with redness ?

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 12/04/2016 11:52 am

Anyone experience red itchy hot rash on the face it just happens to be where my acne is ..: sometimes traveling more up my cheek and my neck. I got this before when I tried retinal and had to stop . I dunno what what it can be as I am only using bp at night and salicyclic acid . Any ideas? Had to smother my face in hydrocortisone and pop a anti histamine . Allergic reaction ? Heat rash? 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 12/09/2016 9:36 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for the hormonal jawline acne that DOESNT require birth control or spiro or a pill? Any success from laser, light therapy, chemical peels?

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 12/10/2016 10:21 pm

have you ever heard of DIM?

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 12/11/2016 8:27 pm

I have but I believe it is for those who have high estrogen it lowers bad estrogen . I'm not so sure I have that I don't really symptoms associated with them . I was thinking I am more androgen sensitive just bc I have acne , not sure I assume a hormone test would help me first not sure whether to see a endocrinologist first before ob/gym considering I don't have any health care

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 12/11/2016 10:06 pm

What are the symptoms (besides acne) that lead you to believe you have hormonal imbalance?