Notifications
Clear all

Yaz vs Diane35

MemberMember
(@sunnylove)

Posted : 07/22/2016 8:47 pm

Hi all,

I have hormonal acne that is not severe, but has been in the past. I have done two courses of Accutane that helped immensely while I was on it, but the acne came back both times. I took Yaz at the same time as the Accutane because of the birth control rule with the drug, and didn't have any bad side effects. I tried Yaz again a year ago and I broke out horribly. It gave me rash-like acne along my jawline my complexion seemed rougher. I stopped after a month, so I know I didn't give it much time to work. Since im
convinced my acne is hormonal I've been researching different types of birth control and came across Diane. Since I didn't do well on Yaz, it is possible that I would react badly to Diane as well? Correct me I'm wrong but, but aren't they similar? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@sunnylove)

Posted : 07/24/2016 7:51 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 07/25/2016 7:42 am

The only person that can answer that is your doctor, and even they can't be sure of the effect on you until you try it yourself. Both of those birth control pills are good for acne, so they likely share some similarities in the effect that they will have on your hormones, but that doesn't at all mean that because you reacted badly to one of them that other one is going to do the same thing. They have different ingredients.

Everyone is different - no matter what the pill is, some people are going to say they loved it and some are going to say they hated it. If you think your acne is hormonal you are just going to have to do some experimenting with different brands to see what works for you!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/25/2016 9:04 am

Hi, for me yaz didn't make my skin worse before it got better but many people do report that happening.
Id ask your Dr about orthocyclen+ Spiro, I used orthocyclen in my 20s and had good skin, but adding Spiro would also reduce the oil. Right now Im on yaz+ Spiro 50mg and my skin is doing better than in a long time.
I had little side effects from both, lowered libido is the only noticeable one but that's all birth control with hormones.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 07/25/2016 9:22 am

I'll also add that I am currently taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen. It has been almost 3 full months and I am almost completely clear!

17 minutes ago, snarkygirl said:

Hi, for me yaz didn't make my skin worse before it got better but many people do report that happening.
Id ask your Dr about orthocyclen+ Spiro, I used orthocyclen in my 20s and had good skin, but adding Spiro would also reduce the oil. Right now Im on yaz+ Spiro 50mg and my skin is doing better than in a long time.
I had little side effects from both, lowered libido is the only noticeable one but that's all birth control with hormones.

Did you start with the combo of BC and Spiro right off the bat? Or did you add one in later? I am curious because birth control has almost completely cleared my active acne, but my oil production has not changed.

MemberMember
(@sunnylove)

Posted : 07/25/2016 2:16 pm

Thank you! I will check with my derm. I'm so scared to try any new BCP because of what Yaz did, but I feel like I need to do something.