Notifications
Clear all

SSRI affecting hormonal acne?

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 06/21/2016 1:57 am

Hello guys, 

Ever since I went on and off Saw Palmetto, my elevated anxiety level never leaves me and it's been bothering me so much. I went to the doctor and he prescribed me some Lexapro (SSRI). I told him about my concern with my hormonal acne problem but he assured me that the SSRI wouldn't influence my hormone levels and therefore should not make my acne worse.

I have done a lot of research. There are both people who say that they clear up or get adult acne from taking or going off SSRI. It's so 50/50 so I cannot decide whether I should take SSRI or not. 

However, scientifically, since lower levels of serotonin is often linked with lower levels of estrogen, and I have read reports that say people who have been taking SSRI long term are shown to have lower levels of testosterone. So if that's really the case, wouldn't taking SSRI actually help with acne (unless you go off of it)? 

Any input would be appreciated! :) 

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/26/2016 9:28 pm

Idk. I take effexor but I don't think that's an SSRI. I noticed no difference in acne with mine, only whether or not I'm on birth control pulls.
Of course acne would make most people depressed! I've always thought so.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/22/2016 3:20 pm

I had a dreadful cystic acne breakout 3 weeks into taking sertraline/zoloft (another SSRI) but had no skin problems in several years of taking venlafaxine/effexor (an SNRI). I certainly would never touch sertraline again, but with others it's probably unfortunately a case of trial and error as everybody reacts differently (my doctor said she'd never ever seen that kind of skin reaction with sertraline before but it was definitely that because as soon as I switched it got loads better). My advice would be to try whatever the doctor recommends but keep a really close eye on your skin and be aware of any changes. You can also try other kinds of meds like beta-blockers if it is just anxiety rather than depression you are dealing with. I've never found antidepressants much help for anxiety anyway.