Notifications
Clear all

Do I have hormonal acne?

MemberMember
(@schmoes)

Posted : 04/14/2016 1:23 pm

This is my first post, so hi!The question I am willing to ask is do I have hormonal acne? and will it go with age?

Acne began to show up on my face and various parts of my body, including my arms, chest and back during my early-mid teens and it hasn't gone entirely with age. It has definitely got better since I was about 17, a large number of boils that was huddled together began to separate away from my forehead and nose, which both were the most acne-prone area of my face. As of now, the area of my face that tends to be the most acne-prone ismy jawline, temple and cheeks. My skin type is oily.

As of now, I'm currently 18 and I tend to get breakouts that lasts for weeks until it often decides whether or not it will disappear or get worse. I decided to visit my doctor and they prescribed me tetracycline antibiotics which helped slightly for the first couple of weeks until I had another breakout and after that, the capsules didn't seem to work at all. I'm still currently taking them once a day.

Here is my lifestyle to make sure what I am doing is correct:

• I eat plenty of rich fruits such as apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries, etc.
  • I also eat different kinds of vegetables, ranging from spinach, peas, carrots, cabbage, etc.
  • I drink plenty of water daily, ditching dairy products and sugar based foods all together.
  • do deal with stress and depression on a daily basis. To deal with this, I exercise twice a week.
  • I wash my face twice every day, the moment I wake up and the moment I go to bed, along with tea tree facial wipes.
  • I shower/bath once a day with mild green tea shampoo for my hair.
  • I usually get a moderately good 7-8 hours of sleep every night.

I'm fearing that this is a hereditary trait, since my dad told me he had acne from an early age and now that he is middle-aged, he has relatively pitted skin with open pores, minus the fact he never gets spots anymore. My mum never really suffered the same treatment growing up, nor has my older sister, only getting the odd spot here and then. I'm a little upset that I'm going down the same root as my dad who keeps trying to reassure me that I'll definitely get clear skin in my early-mid 20's, due to my healthy lifestyle. Other than that, the quality of my skin definitely made my self-esteem and confidence fall from the beginning, thus resulting in my mild depression that can trigger on and off. I often distract myself away from my skin, with my time at work, college and my hobbies, but it makes me feel ugly and look like crap when I looking mirror, getting prepared and ready for all three.

I honestly have no idea what I can do to prevent acne anymore and this is why I'm reaching out to everyone on this forum who went through the same thing I have, so that I can get some good advice and keep me from having hope.

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/14/2016 5:48 pm

The thing with hormonal acne is you never really know it is hormonal unless you go to the doctor and get all these tests done. I know sometimes it is easier to kind of figure out with girls but with guys I think to find out the root cause you will have to go to a doctor for that.