Notifications
Clear all

Pregnancy Acne

MemberMember
(@saltedcaramels)

Posted : 04/12/2016 4:15 am

This is my first time to write anything online about my struggle with acne. I am not comfortable talking about it with other people, but I think I need some support even if it's only online with people who can relate and understand what I am going through.

I've dealt with Acne when I was a teenager. It was isolated on my forehead only. I have a hard time remembering in detail exactly how my situation was then but I remember having so many red bumps across my whole forehead. I was young and didn't know how to put on make up, so I just went along my daily life with all that acne. It made me very insecure and self conscious during highschool. I was recommended by a friend to go to a dermatologist that helped her. It was my first time to go to a dermatologist and didn't know what to expect. She did a facial and made me a strict regimen that I should follow for a few months. What I remember about the regimen was: Papaya soap for facial wash, Erythromicin Toner, Tretinoin with hydroquinone and sunblock in the morning. After a few months my acne completely disappeared. I had baby like skin without any hyperpigmentation. The only negative effect it had on my skin was that it got irritated easily. So I think these products made my skin thinner.

I had clear skin for 13 years after that. Ofcourse the occasional pimple, but nothing that really bothered me. Some stressful and life changing events happened, which I believe is the cause of my skin to breakout again. But this time it was on my cheeks and temples and some on my forehead. It was depressing to see me start getting acne again now that I am 28 years old. I was told by my Obgyn I might have PCOS. I did an ultrasound which showed I had many cysts on my ovaries, which confirmed my PCOS diagnosis. I also did measured my Testosterone and it was elevated, but still in the normal range.

After this diagnosis, I found out I was pregnant. I couldn't be happier for this news because most women who have PCOS have trouble conceiving and I really wanted to have a baby. The bad news is, eversince I found out I was pregnant, my acne has gotten from bad to worse. This should be one of the happiest times in my life, being blessed to carry a baby, but the acne is making me so miserable. Everytime I wake up and see my face and what it's become causes me so much pain. I never go inside the bathroom with lights on, i just leave the door open to get a little light but I take a shower in the dark and wash my face in the dark because I can't bare to see my face. I also cannot use normal medication for acne because it is not adviced by my doctor. I just use Cerave facial wash morning and night and Belli spot treatment which is made for pregnant women. I am now in my third month of pregnancy, but I don't know how I can make it through my pregnancy as the acne progresses. I no longer meet my friends and just stay home during weekends when I don't have to work, so I can rest my face from make-up. I think anyone who sees me without make up will be horrified at how my skin has progressed.

All my friends have clear skin, and 9/10 women I know who got pregnant had glowing skin. I don't feel that anyone I know can relate to me.
I am wondering if anyone knows the safety of going on Spirolactone during bresastfeeding. Please share your experiences with pregnancy acne and if anything helped you. Thank you for reading.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 04/12/2016 2:21 pm

I don't know a great deal about PCOS but from my understanding it can cause major hormonal acne? My situation was actually the opposite of yours. I had beautiful glowing skin and amazing hair throughout my pregnancy and 3 months after more than half my hair fell out and I got bad cystic acne all over my face and body, which nothing would help. So I had to try to focus on being a new mom (of twins) while feeling so extremely bad about myself. I also took showers in the dark and tried not to look at myself in the mirror. Since having them 2 and a half years ago I've learned that skin is only part of what you sacrifice. I don't know what's worse, skin or sanity. No sleep sure takes a toll...
In my search to fix it I've read a LOT of women's stories and have noticed there are pretty much two pregnancy/acne groups; those who have amazing skin during pregnancy and then get hit hard afterwards (like me) and then those who all of a sudden get bad acne during pregnancy, but luckily for them it clears up right after or within a couple months of giving birth. My bet would be you won't need anything like spiro, which I personally wouldn't want to risk anyway. Huge chance it will clear right up afterwards. Right now the very worst thing you can do for your acne is worry and stress, which will help put your hormones in overdrive. Stress is also bad for your baby. The best thing you can do right now is make sure you are eating a really healthy diet with lots of veggies, no junk food, no sugar, minimal processed foods, take a prenatal vitamin and make sure you get enough protein and that your iron levels are good.
Also, I also could never use Cerave cleansers. It made everything SO much worse. Sulfur is safe to use during pregnancy and is really effective for acne. Here is the sulfur soap I use, though it's only 3% sulfur and there are much stronger ones, I found it to be strong enough:
http://www.amazon.com/Thylox-Medicated-Soap-Grandpa-Company/dp/B000I7S8XG/
Clearasil's adult tinted acne cream has also been a lifesaver. The internet seems to think it's safe to use during pregnancy but I would check with a doctor because along with sulfur it also has2% of resorcinol, which I'm not sure about:
http://www.amazon.com/Clearasil-Daily-Clear-Tinted-Treatment/dp/B000NNL7FG/
Others that are good:
~ http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Pure-Castile-All-One-Unscented/dp/B001F0RA8E/ This is actually my favorite. I use the tea tree one but the unscented one is going to be better for pregnancy. Most stores carry this, especially health food stores. Not even sure why castile soap clears acne, but it works well and Dr Bronners is the best.
~ http://www.amazon.com/Nubian-Heritage-African-Black-Ounce/dp/B000XLWZGI/
~Aztec Secret Indian Healing Cleansing [Edited link out] (amazing stuff!!!)
Anyway. Hang in there. Baby will make it all worth it. People won't be judging your acne while your pregnant or even afterwards, people get that hormones are like this. Try not to STRESS...
PS. there's also places online like circle of moms which helped me feel not-so-alone with all my pregnancy problems. Other moms will give you advice and support and know what you are going through:

~ http://www.circleofmoms.com/moms-under-30-1/did-your-skin-suffer-during-pregnancy-525527?trk=desktop_search
~ http://www.circleofmoms.com/search/pcos

MemberMember
(@saltedcaramels)

Posted : 05/04/2016 3:10 am

Thank you so much for your very informative reply. I'm going to check out circleofmoms.com after this. I made a typo in my first message I was only in my first trimester then, just entered my second trimester now, so its a long way to go. My acne has gotten a little better now, but I have tons of hyperpigmentation which is as bothersome as acne. It tends to stay on my skin for a very long time, so I think I will have it for a long time. I have been feeling emotionally better since I wrote my previous message, maybe because I'm getting used to seeing the 'new' me with a blemished face. I guess the first trimester just really took me by surprise and I needed some time to adjust to it all. I hope the second and third trimester will be kinder to me.
How are you dealing with your acne now? I hope your hormones have calmed down as well. I have read that too, that some people get acne after pregnancy. I don't know which is worse, maybe getting it during pregnancy because you really can't do much about it. I use to get cortisone injections for my cystic acne and it calmed down in two days. With no treatment I can have it on my skin for a month. Maybe you can give it at try if you haven't already.
Can't wait to grow out of this acne situation.