Notifications
Clear all

Prednisone (Steroid) Induced Acne

MemberMember
(@luis5495)

Posted : 02/13/2015 8:07 pm

I joined this site just to get this off of my chest.

I've had bad hormonal acne from, and this past Summer (2014) it cleared up well, due to having a good cleaning regimen, swimming in the pool, and being in the sun. My skin was clear as can be.

But then, I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in September, and was prescribed Lialda. The medicine didn't do anything. One month later, in the middle of June, it got really bad to the point where I almost died.

I went to the ER, was there for a good week. They began giving me Prednisone, which helped immensely. I was on it for four months, just stopped taking it last week.For the first month, everything was fine. Then during the second... my face started to get red, and it was red all the time and still is (no pimples yet, just red..) The third, I went to the dermatologist and she said that I have steroid-induced acne, she had me use Ketoconzale 2% Cream for a month while taking Doxycycline Hyclate, and after that month to start using Retin-A. I didn't start actually getting pimples till late January, could it be due to the Doxycycline purging my face? I just started using Retin-A this week on Tuesday, my skin doesn't seem to get better. The redness lingers and now I have huge zits.

I feel as if Prednisone ruined my life, it sucks.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/20/2015 4:55 pm

Prednisone probably saved your life though, so it's good that you took it. My guess is your body is still reeling from the ilness and treatments and it's going to take some time for your skin to calm down. Keep using the Retin-A and be sure to moisturize