Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/10/2013 4:13 pm

since im taking DIM and i3c supplements long term will they affect me later on if i wanted to have kids ? im a male

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/10/2013 6:41 pm

Why are you taking DIM and not something that lowers your testosterone instead?

I don't think they should affect your fertility if they help raise free testosterone in your body.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/10/2013 9:42 pm

I don't think they should affect your fertility if they help raise free testosterone in your body.

im not sure , i just read that DIM supplement helps control hormones and then i started taking it then i havent gotten any acne since then

so im confused why dim cleared my hormonal acne if it raises testosterone ?? also what are good hormonal supplements that actually work for getting rid of excess testosterone or andogens ? and is hormonal acne in male causes by excess estogen or androgens ?? kinda lost

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 12/11/2013 11:11 am

im not sure , i just read that DIM supplement helps control hormones and then i started taking it then i havent gotten any acne since then

so im confused why dim cleared my hormonal acne if it raises testosterone ?? also what are good hormonal supplements that actually work for getting rid of excess testosterone or andogens ? and is hormonal acne in male causes by excess estogen or androgens ?? kinda lost

Acne is primarily caused by elevated free testosterone and secondarily by elevated insulin.

DIM is a metabolite of indole-3-carbinol (i3c). High quality i3c is unstable and must be constantly refrigerated to maintain potency. Most people use DIM as it's more cost effective and easier to manage.

Both of the supplements I just mentioned are found in cruciferous vegetables and are thought to reduce the incidence of prostate and breast cancer. Estradiol (E2) is a potent form of estrogen that metabolizes to several species. DIM and I3C positively change these ratios by metabolizing toward the more protective estrogen metabolites. Without this you may have a tendency to metabolize estrogen toward the inflammatory species of estrogen.

As far as i know the mechanism for reducing acne is not well understood.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 12/11/2013 11:33 am

Im not sure , i just read that DIM supplement helps control hormones and then i started taking it then i havent gotten any acne since then

DIM does reduce androgens. If you cleared from DIM it could either have been excess androgens or possibly too much estrogen/not being able to metabolize estrogen efficiently enough.

To answer your initial question... I don't know about your fertility, but I doubt it's being affected; however, women aren't supposed to take anti-androgens when they are pregnant due to it changing hormones. I'm not sure if this would be the same case for the male taking them.

If you wanted to be on the safe side, you could stop taking them for a few months before you want to conceive (even if you break out, it would only be temporary) and start taking it again once the woman is pregnant. You're lucky there, if a woman taking spiro or DIM wants to get pregnant, they have to stop for 9+ months plus time for breastfeeding, haha.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/11/2013 12:02 pm

thanks for sharing this knowledge :D