Notifications
Clear all

Does D2 Help With Hormonal Acne?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/09/2013 10:26 pm

I posted a similar question in the holistic forum but noone knows the answer to this. GIve me your best guess please. Does only D3 help with hormonal acne? I have been taking prescription D2 for 3 months now, and my D level is now in the 80s (I started in the 20s). However, my D3 is <4, according to the blood test I did. Can you still be D3 deficient if total D levels are low, and if so, would supplementing with D3 (not D2 anymore) help at all?

I'm nervous to try any D3 supplements because they tend to break me out, even dry ones.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 12/09/2013 11:15 pm

I feel like your stressing over this and that's what is making you break out and not the 'vitamins'. And why do you resort to vitamins so much? Just curious. Oh and on topic, the vitamin d the sun provides is the body the body absorbs completely. It's free and would only take you around 15 minutes every day (by the color of your skin tone).

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/10/2013 9:20 am

My vitamin D levels were low, that's why I had to take supplements. My body doesn't absorb sunlight that well obviously because I live in Florida and I am still deficient, even with regular sun exposure with no sunscreen. When my levels drop too low, I get very depressed. Since so many people on here take vitamin D supplements, this is a useful thing to know.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/10/2013 12:51 pm

I feel like your stressing over this and that's what is making you break out and not the 'vitamins'. And why do you resort to vitamins so much? Just curious. Oh and on topic, the vitamin d the sun provides is the body the body absorbs completely. It's free and would only take you around 15 minutes every day (by the color of your skin tone).

The entire D3 conversion process to "active" D3 occurs largely in the oils of the skin. This conversion process takes roughly 48 hours. If you bathe or shower, you lose the benefits to that sun exposure.

If you have dry skin, your ability to process D3 from the sun is also inhibited.

In certain parts of the northern hemisphere, you can't even get the appropriate UVB rays that stimulate D3 from about October to March.

Most people shower at least once every 48 hours. People like Mercola suggest that you only wash your private parts and keep showering/bathing to a minimum, but most people in this century will not cease bathing for the sake of D3.

There was a study on outdoor runners in California where they found vitamin D deficiency in these guys who ran multiple hours a day in the sun. I would bet that most of them rinsed off after a hot sweaty run.

I used to think as you do, until I realized that there are several pretty big factors inhibiting "natural" D3 production.

Also, WishClean lives a pretty dang healthy life and has also gone the elimination diet route to cure her acne. She is just looking for something to clear her skin since the typical "natural" methods have failed her.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/10/2013 6:53 pm

The entire D3 conversion process to "active" D3 occurs largely in the oils of the skin. This conversion process takes roughly 48 hours. If you bathe or shower, you lose the benefits to that sun exposure.

If you have dry skin, your ability to process D3 from the sun is also inhibited.

In certain parts of the northern hemisphere, you can't even get the appropriate UVB rays that stimulate D3 from about October to March.

Most people shower at least once every 48 hours. People like Mercola suggest that you only wash your private parts and keep showering/bathing to a minimum, but most people in this century will not cease bathing for the sake of D3.

There was a study on outdoor runners in California where they found vitamin D deficiency in these guys who ran multiple hours a day in the sun. I would bet that most of them rinsed off after a hot sweaty run.

I used to think as you do, until I realized that there are several pretty big factors inhibiting "natural" D3 production.

Also, WishClean lives a pretty dang healthy life and has also gone the elimination diet route to cure her acne. She is just looking for something to clear her skin since the typical "natural" methods have failed her.

Yeah, so many factors that can prevent full absorption. Also, I noticed that the sun in Mediterranean countries (where I'm from) is so much more beneficial to the skin than the quality of sunlight I get in Florida. I can't even sunbathe properly in Florida because my skin turns into a grayish/dirty color, it's so weird. I'm trying not to wash for as many hours as possible after getting some sun. Robertitoo, I would just like to fix this D deficiency for good, I wasn't just supplementing for the sake of it, I had a legitimate reason to supplement with D2. And it helped me fight depression and anxiety as a bonus, but I don't think it did much for my skin because I had to try out other methods for that.

I was just puzzled as to why I am now considered in the normal D range when my D3 is still very low. I am suspecting that very few people notice a dramatic difference in their skin when supplementing with D2, so I was wondering if only D3 supplementation has acne-fighting benefits. Actually, I even read reports of people saying their acne got worse on D2.