Notifications
Clear all

Stumped With My Hormonal Acne

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 12/19/2013 5:36 pm

I've been using Aza Clear for almost 3 weeks now. It is SLOWLY fading some of my red hyperpigmentation. Also, I'm on a regime for the mild scaring and hyperpigmentation. I've been doing 30% glycolic peels with IPL. I've only had one IPL and then 2 weeks after that a glycolic peel. I will need atleast 2 more of each. It takes so much time to remove the damage from acne. It sucks. If I could get atleast 40% improvement, I would be happy.

You should look into both of those treatments. Both help with active acne as well.

And also, did they tell you your testosterone was in the normal range? Mine was 51 I believe. Which is mildly high.

Aza Clear and glycolic peels.... they sound really harsh. How is your skin holding up?

And they said it was normal.... just getting some second opinions.

MemberMember
(@jennabean)

Posted : 12/19/2013 5:44 pm

I've been using Aza Clear for almost 3 weeks now. It is SLOWLY fading some of my red hyperpigmentation. Also, I'm on a regime for the mild scaring and hyperpigmentation. I've been doing 30% glycolic peels with IPL. I've only had one IPL and then 2 weeks after that a glycolic peel. I will need atleast 2 more of each. It takes so much time to remove the damage from acne. It sucks. If I could get atleast 40% improvement, I would be happy.

You should look into both of those treatments. Both help with active acne as well.

And also, did they tell you your testosterone was in the normal range? Mine was 51 I believe. Which is mildly high.

Aza Clear and glycolic peels.... they sound really harsh. How is your skin holding up?

And they said it was normal.... just getting some second opinions.

The aza clear is actually very mild. It's designed for people with sensitive skin and Rosacea. Pretty much every topical makes me dry but this one doesn't. It has moisturizing agents in it. And also, I'm only doing a 30% glycolic peel once a month, which is a mild peel.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 12/19/2013 6:00 pm

I have also done a 35% Glycolic acid peel and 35% lactic acid peel-- they're both very mild and don't irritate the skin at all. There is just a tiiiiiny bit of peeling a day or so afterwards (which is easily remedied by moisturizer!). I did them a week ago, and my red marks are lighter in color! A couple more treatments should show an even better improvement! Could be worth considering after you clear your acne!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/23/2013 6:18 am

If you can find a good esthetician, it's better to get a professional facial. High frequency/ galvanic facials help with inflammation and infections a lot, and there's no downtime. I have also been doing Clear Touch Light treatments with pulsed red light (kind of like a milder and cheaper form of IPL) and find those very helpful.

I never responded well to peels that tend to work for others, like glycolic and salycylic. My esthetician uses treatments that are not necessarily for acne-prone skin, they just help with overall PH balancing and collagen production. Extractions and red/blue light help too.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 12/29/2013 11:53 am

Brennaj,

Did you have a chance to get your progesterone, estradiol (day 21 of cycle) and morning 8am cortisol checked?

If you have a cortisol deficiency, acth increases to signal the adrenals to release cortisol and dhea. Your dhea is near deficient levels.

Cortisol is released for critical functions as stress management, glucose maintenance, blood pressure maintenance and stimulation of your immune system. Your doc typically uses it in high doses to decrease immune response. It's critical that this hormone is not low or high.

If low, you could have low blood pressure, impaired ability to handle stress, decreased dynamism, anxiety, irritability, fatigue and inflammation among other things.

Acth is released when cortisol is low. If cortisol output remains deficient, then acth increases. As acth increases it stimulates msh (melanocyte stimulating hormone). Msh causes our skin to tan and if in excess, causes hyper-pigmentation. Moles will darken, areas when skin folds such as on the palm of your hand or the area opposite of your elbow will be brownish rather than pink. The skin above the knuckles closest to your hand will look more tan than the fingers when your fingers are straight.

I hope some of this information is helpful.

One more question, when stressed, how do you eat?

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 12/30/2013 4:54 pm

Hello again. Earlier in this thread, I was told that I might have hypothyroidism due to my facial features in a picture that was taken in the morning. For anyone wondering if I really do have hypothyroidism....no I do not. In fact, I went to the doctor and found that all of my levels that are related to hypothyroidism (and I got them ALL checked) are in the normal range. Therefore, no...my face is not puffy and my eyebrows aren't the way they are due to hypothyroidism. It's just my face. Good day.

tongue.png

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 12/30/2013 11:22 pm

Brennaj,

Did you have a chance to get your progesterone, estradiol (day 21 of cycle) and morning 8am cortisol checked?

If you have a cortisol deficiency, acth increases to signal the adrenals to release cortisol and dhea. Your dhea is near deficient levels.

Cortisol is released for critical functions as stress management, glucose maintenance, blood pressure maintenance and stimulation of your immune system. Your doc typically uses it in high doses to decrease immune response. It's critical that this hormone is not low or high.

If low, you could have low blood pressure, impaired ability to handle stress, decreased dynamism, anxiety, irritability, fatigue and inflammation among other things.

Acth is released when cortisol is low. If cortisol output remains deficient, then acth increases. As acth increases it stimulates msh (melanocyte stimulating hormone). Msh causes our skin to tan and if in excess, causes hyper-pigmentation. Moles will darken, areas when skin folds such as on the palm of your hand or the area opposite of your elbow will be brownish rather than pink. The skin above the knuckles closest to your hand will look more tan than the fingers when your fingers are straight.

I hope some of this information is helpful.

One more question, when stressed, how do you eat?

I actually have not had them checked... I am really kind of fed up with doctors. But I might try to see a holistic doctor before I leave for school in Chicago to check my hormones if he returns my calls (been trying to get a hold of him). If I were to have a cortisol problem, what are steps I could take to control it? I don't know if this is relevant at all, but when you said things about msh causing hyperpigmentation, I remembered that for a few months I have developed ashy brown patches on my toe knuckles.... bah who knows, it's probably normal :)

When I am stressed I want to eat chocolate. lots and lots of chocolate. But I am mostly stressed when I am have PMS, so it could just be PMS. Another thing related to PMS is that I have symptoms 2 weeks in advance--irritability, depression, and intense food cravings. Is that related to estrogen, testosterone, or cortisol? Thanks for your reply.

Also, day 21 of my cycle would be the 21st day after the beginning of my period, right?

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 01/07/2014 12:23 pm

UPDATE:

For those of you still wondering if I took hormone tests, I had my progesterone, estradiol (day 21), and vitamin D (1, 25) levels checked. I got a call today and was told that everything came back normal EXCEPT the vitamin D, in which I was quite deficient. I was prescribed 50,000 IU of prescription strength vitamin D3. I am still thinking about doing the cortisol test, but am not entirely sure if I need to take it.... It is a saliva test which is not covered by my insurance and costs about 100 US dollars. anyway, if, after 8 weeks of taking the vitamin, my skin is still not improved, I am willing to do other tests. I want to thank you all so much for your help in my process of elimination of my acne source. I will update you all if I am starting to clear up--or get worse. I think it has taken me being persistent with my doctor in finding the root cause of my acne, not just taking birth control pills as a trial and error thing. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!! :* :* :*

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/07/2014 2:23 pm

UPDATE:

For those of you still wondering if I took hormone tests, I had my progesterone, estradiol (day 21), and vitamin D (1, 25) levels checked. I got a call today and was told that everything came back normal EXCEPT the vitamin D, in which I was quite deficient. I was prescribed 50,000 IU of prescription strength vitamin D3. I am still thinking about doing the cortisol test, but am not entirely sure if I need to take it.... It is a saliva test which is not covered by my insurance and costs about 100 US dollars. anyway, if, after 8 weeks of taking the vitamin, my skin is still not improved, I am willing to do other tests. I want to thank you all so much for your help in my process of elimination of my acne source. I will update you all if I am starting to clear up--or get worse. I think it has taken me being persistent with my doctor in finding the root cause of my acne, not just taking birth control pills as a trial and error thing. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!! :* :* :*

Not to burst your bubble but I was also severely deficient in vitamin D and getting my levels back to normal didn't do much for my acne. I think that some of us with acne are sensitive to normal levels of hormones. So your testosterone may be normal, but you are more sensitive to that normal amount.

Do you eat a lot of fat in your diet? Have you tried an elimination diet? Also, have you run the products you use on your skin (skincare and makeup) through cosdna to make sure nothing in them is clogging you?

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 01/07/2014 7:10 pm

Not to burst your bubble but I was also severely deficient in vitamin D and getting my levels back to normal didn't do much for my acne. I think that some of us with acne are sensitive to normal levels of hormones. So your testosterone may be normal, but you are more sensitive to that normal amount.

Do you eat a lot of fat in your diet? Have you tried an elimination diet? Also, have you run the products you use on your skin (skincare and makeup) through cosdna to make sure nothing in them is clogging you?

Well, seeing that most of the acne I have ever gotten has been in the winter time, it is worth the shot--and most of the symptoms I have had point to a D deficiency. It makes a lot of sense. But, I am skeptical as I have always been, and don't expect it to be a cure-all. I will continue a dairy free diet (I have found that dairy has been my biggest acne trigger from a series trial and error removal of things in my diet). I also have taken gluten and processed sugars from my diet. I decided to go ahead with my saliva DHEA-cortisol test, and will be getting the results sometime next week. (just to cover all my bases)

And can you please give me proof of this so-called sensitivity to normal levels of hormones? I have heard a total of 2-3 people say something like that. How do you help a sensitivity to testosterone? To me, it just sounds ridiculous... but I am not going to close my mind to it.

Actually, I don't wear anything but eye makeup usually--unless I have somewhere special to go to, then foundation. but usually I will just wash my face with a gentle cleanser and distilled water, moisturize, and put on 5 percent BP on spots. then, twice a week, I do a AHA peel on my face for the severe hyperpigmentation left over from the bad bout of acne I had 2 months ago that is going away.

HA. I always have eaten fat... EVOO and butter (only eat a little when I am feeling quite indulgent...very rare) are my favorites. I don't eat a lot of it, though.... maybe a couple of tablespoons a day combined total? I honestly don't think that fat has been my problem, as my acne is slowly starting to get better, and I have been eating more fats than I have usually been eating in the last few months. Honestly, I cannot cut much more out of my diet. I go to a school where I cannot cook for myself unless I have medical proof (AKA test results) of a food allergy/sensitivity. Also, cutting out the dairy and gluten has been hard enough to do. I am not cutting out fat. That sounds to me quite unhealthy--I want to enjoy my life, not take out all foods in order to keep myself from getting acne. If I have to live with the occasional spot after this whole fiasco because I eat semi-normal healthy foods, I am a lucky lucky girl.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/07/2014 8:48 pm

Well, seeing that most of the acne I have ever gotten has been in the winter time, it is worth the shot--and most of the symptoms I have had point to a D deficiency. It makes a lot of sense. But, I am skeptical as I have always been, and don't expect it to be a cure-all. I will continue a dairy free diet (I have found that dairy has been my biggest acne trigger from a series trial and error removal of things in my diet). I also have taken gluten and processed sugars from my diet. I decided to go ahead with my saliva DHEA-cortisol test, and will be getting the results sometime next week. (just to cover all my bases)

And can you please give me proof of this so-called sensitivity to normal levels of hormones? I have heard a total of 2-3 people say something like that. How do you help a sensitivity to testosterone? To me, it just sounds ridiculous... but I am not going to close my mind to it.

Actually, I don't wear anything but eye makeup usually--unless I have somewhere special to go to, then foundation. but usually I will just wash my face with a gentle cleanser and distilled water, moisturize, and put on 5 percent BP on spots. then, twice a week, I do a AHA peel on my face for the severe hyperpigmentation left over from the bad bout of acne I had 2 months ago that is going away.

HA. I always have eaten fat... EVOO and butter (only eat a little when I am feeling quite indulgent...very rare) are my favorites. I don't eat a lot of it, though.... maybe a couple of tablespoons a day combined total? I honestly don't think that fat has been my problem, as my acne is slowly starting to get better, and I have been eating more fats than I have usually been eating in the last few months. Honestly, I cannot cut much more out of my diet. I go to a school where I cannot cook for myself unless I have medical proof (AKA test results) of a food allergy/sensitivity. Also, cutting out the dairy and gluten has been hard enough to do. I am not cutting out fat. That sounds to me quite unhealthy--I want to enjoy my life, not take out all foods in order to keep myself from getting acne. If I have to live with the occasional spot after this whole fiasco because I eat semi-normal healthy foods, I am a lucky lucky girl.

Oh I definitely agree it is worth a shot taking the vitamin D. If not for your acne then just for your health in general.

I don't really have an article or study to show about how some people may be sensitive to normal levels of hormones. The only "proof" I have is that many women with normal androgen levels have success with the anti-androgen spiro. Obviously, this means that for those women their normal levels of androgens were causing some sort of a problem. The only explanation I've heard for this is that those women may have a sensitivity to normal levels of androgens.

I'd run your cleanser and moisturizer through cosdna and compare the ingredients to the list here http://www.sageskincare.com/Articles.asp?ID=255

Lots of people think they are using gentle products like cerave and cetaphil, but those can be problematic for many acne prones. I just recently stopped using purpose cleanser because it was clogging me (and it's claimed to be noncomedogenic).

If you ever have the opportunity it might be a good idea to play around with your diet a bit. It's possible you could be eating something you are slightly allergic to which is causing acne. An elimination diet might be able to help you figure this out.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative. The vitamin D might work. I just wanted to give you some more options which have almost entirely cleared up my hormonal acne in case it doesn't.

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 01/07/2014 9:15 pm

Oh I definitely agree it is worth a shot taking the vitamin D. If not for your acne then just for your health in general.

I don't really have an article or study to show about how some people may be sensitive to normal levels of hormones. The only "proof" I have is that many women with normal androgen levels have success with the anti-androgen spiro. Obviously, this means that for those women their normal levels of androgens were causing some sort of a problem. The only explanation I've heard for this is that those women may have a sensitivity to normal levels of androgens.

I'd run your cleanser and moisturizer through cosdna and compare the ingredients to the list here http://www.sageskincare.com/Articles.asp?ID=255

Lots of people think they are using gentle products like cerave and cetaphil, but those can be problematic for many acne prones. I just recently stopped using purpose cleanser because it was clogging me (and it's claimed to be noncomedogenic).

If you ever have the opportunity it might be a good idea to play around with your diet a bit. It's possible you could be eating something you are slightly allergic to which is causing acne. An elimination diet might be able to help you figure this out.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative. The vitamin D might work. I just wanted to give you some more options which have almost entirely cleared up my hormonal acne in case it doesn't.

Thanks for the website! And if the vitamin D doesn't start to work within the 8 weeks that I will be taking the supplement, I will be looking into hormonal treatments such as natural things like saw palmetto or dc inositol, or even spiro or birth control if worse comes to worse. I am just very very cautious when it comes to messing with my hormones, so I am trying to get down to the real problem. Thanks a lot for your input.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/08/2014 11:29 am

Good luck! If the vitamin D doesn't work, add inositol. In my opinion and based on my experience & research, it's the least harmful supplement you can take for hormonal acne and it works without side effects. I wouldn't gamble with saw palmetto at this point, much less birth control. Once you are on birth control or spiro, you have to commit until menopause basically otherwise once you get off your acne will most likely return...those are not "cures" for anything. I personally would much rather take a few supplements long term than take something with serious side effects. My approach is taking the least amount of supplements to keep my acne in check...I don't want to take more stuff than I need, and I think that birth control is definitely extreme when supplements can work just as well.

Another thing that's important is minimizing your stress levels and not focusing too much on your skin.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/08/2014 11:04 pm

UPDATE:

Hi brenna,

They may or may not know what normal is. Do you have the results? Most likely they will tell you your levels are normal if in the labs reference range. The reference range does not mean pathological levels don't exist. All the referance range does is cover 95% of the sick patients or patients suspected of illness that get tested.

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 01/10/2014 12:33 am

UPDATE:

Hi brenna,

They may or may not know what normal is. Do you have the results? Most likely they will tell you your levels are normal if in the labs reference range. The reference range does not mean pathological levels don't exist. All the referance range does is cover 95% of the sick patients or patients suspected of illness that get tested.

ESTRADIOL-2

PROGESTERONE-2 0.20VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY, TOTAL 24.0

These were all the things they checked lately. Back with the cortisol/DHEA saliva test results soon enough...

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/10/2014 3:04 am

What did your doctor say about your lab results? The saliva will hopefully be more indicative, provided you give them samples more than once a month to chart your hormonal fluctuations. In any case, if the tests don't show anything conclusive, your doctor will still prescribe birth control and/or spironolactone, or antibiotics and some topicals. That's what they give to everyone, regardless of lab results. I hope your doctor is not like that, but most are.

Are you still getting new acne or has it decreased since you first posted?

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/10/2014 9:28 am

UPDATE:

Hi brenna,

ESTRADIOL-2

These were all the things they checked lately. Back with the cortisol/DHEA saliva test results soon enough...

Hi Brenna,

Yes, D is very low.

I hate to do this to you, but I need the units and reference range as each lab is different. Just to give you an idea, here are the optimal values for each on day 21:

Some labs use SI (metric) and some use English or both.

Each of the values are equivalent, just in different units.

Estradiol

150 pg/mL

0.55 nmol/L

550 pmol/L

Progesterone

13-23 ng/mL

40-75 nmol/L

Don't make any assumptions without the units. A nanogram is 1000 larger than a picogram and will move the decimal 3 places.

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 01/11/2014 10:43 am

UPDATE:

Hi brenna,

ESTRADIOL-2

Hi Brenna,

Yes, D is very low.

I hate to do this to you, but I need the units and reference range as each lab is different. Just to give you an idea, here are the optimal values for each on day 21:

Estradiol

150 pg/mL

0.55 nmol/L

550 pmol/L

Progesterone

13-23 ng/mL

40-75 nmol/L

Don't make any assumptions without the units. A nanogram is 1000 larger than a picogram and will move the decimal 3 places.

PROGESTERONE-2

0.20PROGESTERONE EXPECTED RANGES

Adult Males = 0.28 - 1.22 ng/ml

Normal Females

Follicular Phase = *ND - 1.40 ng/ml

Luteal Phase = 3.34 - 25.56 ng/ml

Mid-Luteal Phase = 4.44 - 28.03 ng/ml

Postmenopausal Females = *ND - 0.73 ng/ml

Pregnant Females

First Trimester = 11.22 - 90.00 ng/ml

Second Trimester = 25.55 - 89.40 ng/ml

Third Trimester = 48.40 - 422.50 ng/ml

*ND=Not Detectable

The ADVIA Centaur Progesterone assay is standardized using

internal standards manufactured analytically which are

traceable to gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy (GCMS).

TCFH Laboratory, 611 W. Park St., Urbana, IL 61801ESTRADIOL-2 83.0ESTRADIOL EXPECTED RANGES

Males = <11- 52.5 pg/ml

Females, Post Menopausal:

ON MHT = <11 - 462.1 pg/ml

Not on MHT = <11 - 58.3 pg/ml

Females, Non-pregnant:

Follicular phase = 21.4 - 164.8 pg/ml

Mid-cycle phase = 49.9 - 367.2 pg/ml

Luteal phase = 40.2 - 259.0 pg/ml

NOTICE: This test is ID/GC/MS reference measurement procedure.

TCFH Laboratory, 611 W. Park St., Urbana, IL 61801

That is all I can see...

Does it make any sense to you?

What did your doctor say about your lab results? The saliva will hopefully be more indicative, provided you give them samples more than once a month to chart your hormonal fluctuations. In any case, if the tests don't show anything conclusive, your doctor will still prescribe birth control and/or spironolactone, or antibiotics and some topicals. That's what they give to everyone, regardless of lab results. I hope your doctor is not like that, but most are.

Well, my acne is slowly starting to get fewer breakouts... although I get itchy places on my face, and then get weird welts on my jawline...it looks like acne...ish. But it itches? At the moment, unfortunately, I am taking an antibiotic because of an unrelated issue.. a really rare root canal infection that I have apparently had for a while. Clindamycin is what it is called. Funny that when I wanted to avoid antibiotics, I still had to take them ahaha ;)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/11/2014 11:27 am

UPDATE:

Hi brenna,

ESTRADIOL-2

Hi Brenna,

Yes, D is very low.

Estradiol

150 pg/mL

0.55 nmol/L

550 pmol/L

Progesterone

13-23 ng/mL

40-75 nmol/L

PROGESTERONE-2

0.20 PROGESTERONE EXPECTED RANGES

Normal Females

Pregnant Females

*ND=Not Detectable

TCFH Laboratory, 611 W. Park St., Urbana, IL 61801 ESTRADIOL-2 83.0 ESTRADIOL EXPECTED RANGES

Males = <11- 52.5 pg/ml

Females, Non-pregnant:

That is all I can see...

>What did your doctor say about your lab results? The saliva will hopefully be more indicative, provided you give them samples more than once a month to chart your hormonal fluctuations. In any case, if the tests don't show anything conclusive, your doctor will still prescribe birth control and/or spironolactone, or antibiotics and some topicals. That's what they give to everyone, regardless of lab results. I hope your doctor is not like that, but most are.

Well, my acne is slowly starting to get fewer breakouts... although I get itchy places on my face, and then get weird welts on my jawline...it looks like acne...ish. But it itches? At the moment, unfortunately, I am taking an antibiotic because of an unrelated issue.. a really rare root canal infection that I have apparently had for a while. Clindamycin is what it is called. Funny that when I wanted to avoid antibiotics, I still had to take them ahaha wink.png

Hmm...well, clindamycin might help with acne too but only temporarily. You should wean off antibiotics, not quit cold turkey. I had to take a decongestant antihistamine a few weeks ago for a really bad cold, and once I quit my skin went crazy for a few days.

Btw, there was a girl on here a few years ago who tried everything for her acne and nothing worked...it turned out she had a teeth infection and once she got her infected tooth (or teeth, I don't remember exactly) removed, her skin cleared. Look up posts on dental hygiene and acne, maybe that could help?

Do you have any photos of the welts you are getting? I used to get them too when my histamines got too high....they looked like allergic reactions, not acne (= no puss/ cysts, just red and sometimes itchy).

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 01/11/2014 5:03 pm

>What did your doctor say about your lab results? The saliva will hopefully be more indicative, provided you give them samples more than once a month to chart your hormonal fluctuations. In any case, if the tests don't show anything conclusive, your doctor will still prescribe birth control and/or spironolactone, or antibiotics and some topicals. That's what they give to everyone, regardless of lab results. I hope your doctor is not like that, but most are.

Well, my acne is slowly starting to get fewer breakouts... although I get itchy places on my face, and then get weird welts on my jawline...it looks like acne...ish. But it itches? At the moment, unfortunately, I am taking an antibiotic because of an unrelated issue.. a really rare root canal infection that I have apparently had for a while. Clindamycin is what it is called. Funny that when I wanted to avoid antibiotics, I still had to take them ahaha wink.png

Hmm...well, clindamycin might help with acne too but only temporarily. You should wean off antibiotics, not quit cold turkey. I had to take a decongestant antihistamine a few weeks ago for a really bad cold, and once I quit my skin went crazy for a few days.

Btw, there was a girl on here a few years ago who tried everything for her acne and nothing worked...it turned out she had a teeth infection and once she got her infected tooth (or teeth, I don't remember exactly) removed, her skin cleared. Look up posts on dental hygiene and acne, maybe that could help?

Do you have any photos of the welts you are getting? I used to get them too when my histamines got too high....they looked like allergic reactions, not acne (= no puss/ cysts, just red and sometimes itchy).

Interesting... Wow.. Dental problems may cause acne?????? This is completely new to me. I would show you pictures.. but I don't know how to upload them on the comments lol How would you recommend "weaning" off of antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/11/2014 7:34 pm

Interesting... Wow.. Dental problems may cause acne?????? This is completely new to me. I would show you pictures.. but I don't know how to upload them on the comments lol How would you recommend "weaning" off of antibiotics?

Search for posts on dental hygiene on acne.org, you'll find some interesting theories. Not to say this is the cause of all acne, but dental infections can definitely cause acne close to the mouth and the cheeks.

I personally noticed a vast improvement in my chin/jawline breakouts and redness when I switched to non-SLS toothpaste and mouthwash (no sulfates, and no xylitol either bc that seems to break me out). It didn't help for cheek acne, but that was caused by hormones and histamines.

With antibiotics, you need to either cut the pill in half (or empty half a capsule) and take half the dose for a week or so. Then take half the dose once every 2 days, and so on, until you are completely off. Also, remember to take probiotics with antibiotics to protect your gut flora. My sister had a tooth infection recently and she had to be on antibiotics. I told her to take probiotics with them but she didn't listen and a week after she got off the antibiotics she got a yeast infection (= sign of candida/ yeast overpopulation). If you take just plain acidophilus once a day that would be fine.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/11/2014 10:32 pm

UPDATE:

Hi brenna,

ESTRADIOL-2

PROGESTERONE-2 0.20

VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY, TOTAL 24.0

Hi Brenna,

Yes, D is very low.

Estradiol

150 pg/mL

0.55 nmol/L

550 pmol/L

Progesterone

13-23 ng/mL

40-75 nmol/L

PROGESTERONE-2

PROGESTERONE EXPECTED RANGES

Normal Females

Pregnant Females

*ND=Not Detectable

ESTRADIOL-2

ESTRADIOL EXPECTED RANGES

Males = <11- 52.5 pg/ml

Females, Non-pregnant:

That is all I can see...

Well, my acne is slowly starting to get fewer breakouts... although I get itchy places on my face, and then get weird welts on my jawline...it looks like acne...ish. But it itches? At the moment, unfortunately, I am taking an antibiotic because of an unrelated issue.. a really rare root canal infection that I have apparently had for a while. Clindamycin is what it is called. Funny that when I wanted to avoid antibiotics, I still had to take them ahaha ;)

Hi Brenna,

Ok, your levels for both estradiol and progesterone are outside of the optimal range and your progesterone is below the labs reference range. For that to occur, your levels will lower than the 2.5 sickest patients in the reference group.

Estradiol should optimally be 150, you are 83.

Progesterone has an optimum range. The low end of the range is 13 and you are 0.2.

Interestingly, all your sex hormones are low.

Are you getting adequate calories? Are you eating animal protein?

When you were in Italy, were you exposed to pesticides or other chemicals that you are aware of?

Not trying to scare you, many of us had or have very low hormone levels. Much of it is associated with xenoestrogens and other chemicals that suppress natural hormone levels.

If cortisol is also low it will not stimulate your immune system and could explain the infection you have.

MemberMember
(@brennaj)

Posted : 01/12/2014 12:34 am

Hi Brenna,

Ok, your levels for both estradiol and progesterone are outside of the optimal range and your progesterone is below the labs reference range. For that to occur, your levels will lower than the 2.5 sickest patients in the reference group.

Estradiol should optimally be 150, you are 83.

Progesterone has an optimum range. The low end of the range is 13 and you are 0.2.

Interestingly, all your sex hormones are low.

Are you getting adequate calories? Are you eating animal protein?

When you were in Italy, were you exposed to pesticides or other chemicals that you are aware of?

Not trying to scare you, many of us had or have very low hormone levels. Much of it is associated with xenoestrogens and other chemicals that suppress natural hormone levels.

If cortisol is also low it will not stimulate your immune system and could explain the infection you have.

well, as far as I know, I wasn't exposed to any chemicals in Italy... But in the past 6 months after Italy, I have lived in a farming community. There has also been a giant fire while I was in Italy... That might have caused some chemicals in the air... but it was 2 months before I got back, so I doubt it. Now I am living in a big city (just moved there)

I had been pretty much vegetarian (5 years) up until about 2 months ago (started eating tilapia every once in a while--which then graduated to the occasional piece of chicken)

What could I do for these low hormone levels? What would make them higher?

Search for posts on dental hygiene on acne.org, you'll find some interesting theories. Not to say this is the cause of all acne, but dental infections can definitely cause acne close to the mouth and the cheeks.

I personally noticed a vast improvement in my chin/jawline breakouts and redness when I switched to non-SLS toothpaste and mouthwash (no sulfates, and no xylitol either bc that seems to break me out). It didn't help for cheek acne, but that was caused by hormones and histamines.

With antibiotics, you need to either cut the pill in half (or empty half a capsule) and take half the dose for a week or so. Then take half the dose once every 2 days, and so on, until you are completely off. Also, remember to take probiotics with antibiotics to protect your gut flora. My sister had a tooth infection recently and she had to be on antibiotics. I told her to take probiotics with them but she didn't listen and a week after she got off the antibiotics she got a yeast infection (= sign of candida/ yeast overpopulation). If you take just plain acidophilus once a day that would be fine.

Well, I had been consistently been getting acne on my cheeks (hard papules) And most of it had been on the left side of my face (which was where my dental infection was, interestingly enough) however, a month ago, most of my problems stopped after I took my first round of antibiotics (my dentist thought it was a simple gum infection), then later the right side of my face broke out. So confusing!!!!! I feel like I am trying to do everything, and nothing is working. I am trying to severely limit my intake of histamine foods, dairy, gluten, sugars, etc... but I feel like my diet will reduce to just rice and steamed veggies!!! I feel like my problem is green tea... I feel like every time I drink it, I get these weird welts. I am also going to start taking an antihistamine again. that seemed to make me not break out in those welts.

I try to take a probiotic... but I feel like the antibiotic would ruin it, right? I don't know, I have heard that you can get a yeast infection from taking too many antibiotics and also candida. I just thought it was unpreventable. I will try to take it every day.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/12/2014 1:17 am

Well, I had been consistently been getting acne on my cheeks (hard papules) And most of it had been on the left side of my face (which was where my dental infection was, interestingly enough) however, a month ago, most of my problems stopped after I took my first round of antibiotics (my dentist thought it was a simple gum infection), then later the right side of my face broke out. So confusing!!!!! I feel like I am trying to do everything, and nothing is working. I am trying to severely limit my intake of histamine foods, dairy, gluten, sugars, etc... but I feel like my diet will reduce to just rice and steamed veggies!!! I feel like my problem is green tea... I feel like every time I drink it, I get these weird welts. I am also going to start taking an antihistamine again. that seemed to make me not break out in those welts.

I try to take a probiotic... but I feel like the antibiotic would ruin it, right? I don't know, I have heard that you can get a yeast infection from taking too many antibiotics and also candida. I just thought it was unpreventable. I will try to take it every day.

Actually, taking a probiotic is the most useful thing to do to balance the negative impact on gut flora caused by antibiotics...I recommend starting with plain acidophilus, a few million strands a day while you are on antibiotics...it could really save your digestion in the long run. Take the antibiotic in the morning, then the probiotic at night on an empty stomach or vice versa. Take them far apart from each other basically.

Don't drink green tea and don't take antihistamines. Green tea can actually raise testosterone and also histamines. Antihistamines are fine if you get severe hives but long term they actually SUPPRESS histamines inside your body and eventually your body will want to release them, so they can do more damage than good if you take them every day.

You can try sticking to a plain diet for 2 weeks and see if it works...if it does, then part of your problem might be histamines. Have you been tested for IgG reactions to see if your body actually produces more antibodies than normal? that's how I found out about histamines, through a really good allergist who saw my welt-like spots and figured out those weren't acne (different from hormonal/ cystic acne).

Some foods that are safe for me are:

- sweet potatoes

- plain potato chips

- most vegetables except tomatoes (avoid anything red for 2 weeks)

- rice milk and plain rice (you can also make sweet rice with rice milk, rice, and stevia sweetener for dessert)

- carob and honey --> if you mix them together, you can make a nutella-like paste to spread on gluten-free/ yeast-free bread, it tastes pretty good

- green juice

- cooked ham and turkey (avoid fish for now)

- south beach honey & vanilla bars (you can test these out if you get hungry - fiber is good )

- gluten- free, yeast- free pitas

- toffutti dairy-free cheese spread

- gluten-free waffles (Van's waffles I think they are called) without preservatives or molasses)

I think this is enough to make a good menu for the next 2 weeks....but with histamines, it really varies from person to person so I can't say 100% that my diet will work for you. But I did a lot of research until I found safe foods I could eat on a regular basis.

To lower histamines, you must also avoid lotions and anything with sulfates and salycylates (e.g. shower gels, shampoo, etc).

I hope this helps! I know it's overwhelming at first, but it gets so much easier once you find your safe foods and body products. If you don't notice an improvement in 2 weeks, then I would advice you to go to an allergist and get your blood tested for DELAYED (not full allergies) intolerances, IgG & antibody count

Keep in mind that histamine intolerance and hormonal imbalances can be related. In that case, if you fix one, you can improve the other.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/12/2014 10:16 am

Actually, taking a probiotic is the most useful thing to do to balance the negative impact on gut flora caused by antibiotics...I recommend starting with plain acidophilus, a few million strands a day while you are on antibiotics...it could really save your digestion in the long run. Take the antibiotic in the morning, then the probiotic at night on an empty stomach or vice versa. Take them far apart from each other basically.

Don't drink green tea and don't take antihistamines. Green tea can actually raise testosterone and also histamines. Antihistamines are fine if you get severe hives but long term they actually SUPPRESS histamines inside your body and eventually your body will want to release them, so they can do more damage than good if you take them every day.

You can try sticking to a plain diet for 2 weeks and see if it works...if it does, then part of your problem might be histamines. Have you been tested for IgG reactions to see if your body actually produces more antibodies than normal? that's how I found out about histamines, through a really good allergist who saw my welt-like spots and figured out those weren't acne (different from hormonal/ cystic acne).

Some foods that are safe for me are:

- sweet potatoes

- plain potato chips

- most vegetables except tomatoes (avoid anything red for 2 weeks)

- rice milk and plain rice (you can also make sweet rice with rice milk, rice, and stevia sweetener for dessert)

- carob and honey --> if you mix them together, you can make a nutella-like paste to spread on gluten-free/ yeast-free bread, it tastes pretty good

- green juice

- cooked ham and turkey (avoid fish for now)

- south beach honey & vanilla bars (you can test these out if you get hungry - fiber is good )

- gluten- free, yeast- free pitas

- toffutti dairy-free cheese spread

- gluten-free waffles (Van's waffles I think they are called) without preservatives or molasses)

I think this is enough to make a good menu for the next 2 weeks....but with histamines, it really varies from person to person so I can't say 100% that my diet will work for you. But I did a lot of research until I found safe foods I could eat on a regular basis.

To lower histamines, you must also avoid lotions and anything with sulfates and salycylates (e.g. shower gels, shampoo, etc).

I hope this helps! I know it's overwhelming at first, but it gets so much easier once you find your safe foods and body products. If you don't notice an improvement in 2 weeks, then I would advice you to go to an allergist and get your blood tested for DELAYED (not full allergies) intolerances, IgG & antibody count

Keep in mind that histamine intolerance and hormonal imbalances can be related. In that case, if you fix one, you can improve the other.

Hi Wishclean,

This is not a criticism, only my opinion. I see allergy treatment as a second line therapy when when hormone correction including insulin is ineffective.

I want to encourage Brenna to exhaust the hormonal side before looking at at an allergy because there is less scientific evidence to support this line of thinking as it relates to acne. She mentioned welts, which are typically associated with an allergy. Is it related to acne? Who knows.

I happen to believe that food allergies have a real impact on health. You could be onto something as it relates to acne. I have looked into this as it relates to general health and it appears that most of these allergies are gluten related. What happens is that a gluten intolerance is formed that results in an autoimmune reaction. What complicates this is "cross gluten sensitivity". Gluten completely activates the receptors responsible for the autoimmune reaction, however once this occurs, many other foods/chemicals can partially bind to the receptor and result in similar effects as gluten.

What a typical patient will do is see their doc, a gluten allergy is suspected, and a celiac test will be ordered. The test will come back negative and the patient will continue to be frustrated with no answers.

There is an option for those of us that suspect this. Cyrex labs has a number of tests you can run to determine if food allergies are a problem. Their array1 test involves nothing more than a saliva sample that analyzes for gluten sensitivity. The cost is a bit over $100. If this comes back positive (it's more sensitive than the test for celiac disease), then you continue testing based on the clinical picture.

If you have an allergy it can effect the lining of your intestines interfering with it's ability to filter out the unwanted from your bloodstream, resulting in leaky gut syndrome.

Here is their website:

Www.cyrexlabs.com

The advantage of testing is that you avoid the elimination diet.

By the way, one of the most common food allergies is eggs.