Notifications
Clear all

I'm Truly At Wits End. I Can't Live Life Anymore. Is This Hormonal? My Cheeks And Jaw Are Destroyed. Please Help Me, Warning Pictures

MemberMember
(@kfelix)

Posted : 12/11/2013 8:42 pm

Try a product from GNC- Grandpa's brand, it's a bar in a box and stinks like Sulfer but it worked for me. Im picky and usually think the most expensive products would have more potential but turned out not so when it came to paying only about $6 for the results I had so quickly. And some of it was large cystic acne too from hormone changes due to significant stress. The kind of acne that made my face itch.

Give it a try, I specifically signed up to share what worked for me that is not well known and maybe others would have the same success as me.

MemberMember
(@woodencyclone)

Posted : 12/11/2013 9:07 pm

You mentioned you took antibiotics in the past. After you were done with it, did you take probiotics? If not, then chances are your gut flora is messed up and you might have candida overgrowth, which can cause acne. It pisses me off that a lot of dermatologists don't even mention that you need the good bacteria put back in after an antibiotic prescription. If this is the case, look up candida overgrowth and a diet specifically made to combat it. Also a gluten-free diet or a low glycemic diet can possibly help. Some people with gluten sensitivity (not celiac disease) get acne when they eat it.

Also, do you have any metal fillings, braces, or fixed retainers? A nickel allergy can cause contact dermatitis, going through the inside of your mouth and manifesting itself on your skin; and it definitely promotes candida growth in your mouth, which can cause acne. When stainless steel (which has some nickel) is in the mouth, it creates nickel ions when it makes contact with saliva, which can cause your problems.

Make sure to have good oral hygiene: brush at least twice a day, floss after every meal, and use mouthwash if you can. Food particles stuck in the mouth can also promote candida growth.

I hope this helps you, as everyone else here is talking about topicals rather than speculating whether you have something internal or a persistent environmental factor that you're unaware of that's causing your acne.

FYI I had my stainless steel fixed retainer removed from my lower teeth last week after having it for 6 years and constantly suffered from "hormonal" acne/cysts. It's a little early to confirm, but my skin has greatly improved since then. I'll write up a topic about this later.

MemberMember
(@l7997)

Posted : 12/13/2013 11:03 pm

I'm sure the posters here are genuine with their advice, but one of the things i want to make clear is that all these suggestions can easily lead you away from seeing your own case realistically, and treating it carefully. Don't just jump on board with everything being said. When it comes to anything you do to your body, judge it for yourself by watching the changes in your body.

~~~~~~~~~

Tips for treating acne:

-When it comes to a basic skincare routine, use:

• a simple, gentle, non-irritating, non-stripping, cleanser (CeraVe hydrating cleanser is fine, but of course, only if you verify that it doesn't irritate you. If you wish, use a tissue to dry off instead of a towel. Towels might be aggravating, and some would argue it's not hygienic enough.)
  • a just as simple, gentle, non-clogging moisturizer. CeraVe is usually highly regarded by users. It is good if you don't feel irritated, if you don't see worsened skin, and if you actually feel a bit better when you apply it. Definitely don't skimp on it if you are on a treatment like Retin A or BP, and don't expect a miracle aside from nicely moisturized skin- which is better than dry, irritated, cracked skin.

-Keep a log of your breakouts, irritations, and good periods too. For instance, if you see yourself scratching your face, or you feel a stinging sensation, it is an irritation and likely something is aggravating your skin. If you note it, you might see a pattern. It might be possible that you're using Retin A too often and it's so irritating that you're breaking out more. You then decide to use less and you can tell fewer breakouts occur.

-When you consider a treatment make absolutely sure you read about HOW to use a product; read the main instruction, and ask the derm. When I was a teen, my dermatologists have failed over and over, to inform me on HOW to use something, and what to expect. products like Retin A and Tazorac are better if you EASE into them; for instance, starting 2x a week for a month, then 3x a week for a few months, then 4x a week for the rest of your treatment. Your dermatologist should be telling you, but most don't really stress that. Side effects are brutal so be aware about what you are doing.

-When you start making changes, take it slow. Don't expect that more changes will actually help you. You have to see what's helpful from what's not. if you're so busy trying a zillion new things, you won't be able to determine what's better for you. Attempt one major change at a time.

-When the skin is red, broken, and swollen, give it a break from irritating treatments.

-Your mentality is important. Take care of yourself as much as possible and get the rest you need.

~~~~~~

about using Retin A with BenzaClin, were you told to use them both? If you were prescribed them, check the instructions and use correctly.

when i went to the derm for the first time i was given clindamycin and tazorac, very similar to yours. the issue with me is that i used tazorac NIGHTLY, which was horrible. When I went to the derm again, i saw someone new, and he told me that i'm not supposed to use it everyday, especially since i just started. Anyway, using it 3x a week helped a tiny bit. Tazorac, like retin A, is harsh. I recommend to start 2x a week for a while (like a trial period- maybe a month), then 3x a week for a few months.

For me, clidamycin, similar to BenzaClin, never helped, but it didn't hurt to use it in the morning. It's to kill bacteria related to acne. I stopped using it and then, when i realized it's lack of help, stopped it entirely. If you think it helps you, do keep using it.

After using Tazorac for more than 3 years i'm positive that i damaged my skin more than needed. of course i did other idiotic things. <_<;

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 12/14/2013 9:17 am

Acne is primarily hormonal. The washing, topical interventions, etc are only treating the symptoms (and they don't do it well). To fully resolve the problem you must address this piece.

MemberMember
(@seeking2012)

Posted : 12/15/2013 4:29 pm

I agree with the people that said to take probiotics. Definitely do that. What helped me the most, as someone who has proven insulin resistance, was going on a low-carb diet. That made me go from 1 new zit per day to less than 1 new zit per week. I know I have insulin resistance because I took a fasting insulin test and then did the HOMA calculations. Normal fasting insulin is less than 10; mine is over 12. And carbs / sugars make me crash.

I recommend that you go in for a full hormone panel. It should tell you a lot about what's going on. Also buy some quality probiotics.

MemberMember
(@rafiki3)

Posted : 12/18/2013 4:08 pm

I agree with the people that said to take probiotics. Definitely do that. What helped me the most, as someone who has proven insulin resistance, was going on a low-carb diet. That made me go from 1 new zit per day to less than 1 new zit per week. I know I have insulin resistance because I took a fasting insulin test and then did the HOMA calculations. Normal fasting insulin is less than 10; mine is over 12. And carbs / sugars make me crash.

I recommend that you go in for a full hormone panel. It should tell you a lot about what's going on. Also buy some quality probiotics.

can you please tell me where i need to go/who i need to go to to take this test?

and can you please tell me the exact name or type of probiotics you are taking

I'm sure the posters here are genuine with their advice, but one of the things i want to make clear is that all these suggestions can easily lead you away from seeing your own case realistically, and treating it carefully. Don't just jump on board with everything being said. When it comes to anything you do to your body, judge it for yourself by watching the changes in your body.

~~~~~~~~~

Tips for treating acne:

-When it comes to a basic skincare routine, use:

• a simple, gentle, non-irritating, non-stripping, cleanser (CeraVe hydrating cleanser is fine, but of course, only if you verify that it doesn't irritate you. If you wish, use a tissue to dry off instead of a towel. Towels might be aggravating, and some would argue it's not hygienic enough.)
  • a just as simple, gentle, non-clogging moisturizer. CeraVe is usually highly regarded by users. It is good if you don't feel irritated, if you don't see worsened skin, and if you actually feel a bit better when you apply it. Definitely don't skimp on it if you are on a treatment like Retin A or BP, and don't expect a miracle aside from nicely moisturized skin- which is better than dry, irritated, cracked skin.

-Keep a log of your breakouts, irritations, and good periods too. For instance, if you see yourself scratching your face, or you feel a stinging sensation, it is an irritation and likely something is aggravating your skin. If you note it, you might see a pattern. It might be possible that you're using Retin A too often and it's so irritating that you're breaking out more. You then decide to use less and you can tell fewer breakouts occur.

-When you consider a treatment make absolutely sure you read about HOW to use a product; read the main instruction, and ask the derm. When I was a teen, my dermatologists have failed over and over, to inform me on HOW to use something, and what to expect. products like Retin A and Tazorac are better if you EASE into them; for instance, starting 2x a week for a month, then 3x a week for a few months, then 4x a week for the rest of your treatment. Your dermatologist should be telling you, but most don't really stress that. Side effects are brutal so be aware about what you are doing.

-When you start making changes, take it slow. Don't expect that more changes will actually help you. You have to see what's helpful from what's not. if you're so busy trying a zillion new things, you won't be able to determine what's better for you. Attempt one major change at a time.

-When the skin is red, broken, and swollen, give it a break from irritating treatments.

-Your mentality is important. Take care of yourself as much as possible and get the rest you need.

~~~~~~

about using Retin A with BenzaClin, were you told to use them both? If you were prescribed them, check the instructions and use correctly.

when i went to the derm for the first time i was given clindamycin and tazorac, very similar to yours. the issue with me is that i used tazorac NIGHTLY, which was horrible. When I went to the derm again, i saw someone new, and he told me that i'm not supposed to use it everyday, especially since i just started. Anyway, using it 3x a week helped a tiny bit. Tazorac, like retin A, is harsh. I recommend to start 2x a week for a while (like a trial period- maybe a month), then 3x a week for a few months.

For me, clidamycin, similar to BenzaClin, never helped, but it didn't hurt to use it in the morning. It's to kill bacteria related to acne. I stopped using it and then, when i realized it's lack of help, stopped it entirely. If you think it helps you, do keep using it.

After using Tazorac for more than 3 years i'm positive that i damaged my skin more than needed. of course i did other idiotic things. glare.gif;

thank you. i actually saw a derm i liked better and he prescribed the exact products you mentioned, clindamycin phosphate lotion and tazorac, along with a minocycline antibiotic. i have been taking them for a week (except i havent started tazorac yet since the prescription isnt in) and no improvement obviously. but im feeling extremely worse because my acne is continuing to be itchy and last night i had three inflamed red bumps near my mouth, and of course today i wake up and they are now inflamed whiteheads. its destroying me. my whole jaw from side to side and underneath is a red, disgusting mess. i honestly cant function outside with other people anymore, this is so so so bad. i think my face looks worse than it did in the initial pictures and im at a loss.

do you think tazorac made your acne worse becuase you overused it in the beginning, or are you just saying that you feel the retinoid in general didnt help at all? i dont want to start tazorac and wish i just did accutane. i need to make a decision NOW if i am going to continue this oral antibiotic + topicals, or switch to accutane. i cant lose more time im dying. im scared because i know accutane doesnt help red marks and i dont know if its going to cause current acne to turn into red marks. my jaw is already destroyed with them. but at the same time, it sounds like tazorac is harsh and a lot of people have a lot of trouble with it for MONTHS. it sounds a lot easier (and not in a cop out way but in a practical way) to just take an accutane pill instead of cleansing in the morning, apply clindamycin, taking mino twice a day, and cleansing at night and applying tazorac. im just scared of the joint pain and long last effects of 'tane since i am an endurance cyclist. it also sucks because i bike and train everyday and then have to figure out how to shower/cleanse in the afternoon and time it with my dinner meal and the minocycline pill.

god i dont know if i should just take the accutane chance. it could save me but it could maybe ruin my life? im so scared frm the stories. any opinions? i can stick with my current regimen but it might not even solve my problem. accutane could be a permanent fix. i have no college life anyways anymore so i know i wont be able to live life until i improve my face

MemberMember
(@seeking2012)

Posted : 12/18/2013 4:22 pm

can you please tell me where i need to go/who i need to go to to take this test?

and can you please tell me the exact name or type of probiotics you are taking

I went to Direct Labs to order my tests; they have good prices and it's between you and their company so no need to see any doctors. But you'll likely be paying cash. Best thing to do is save up money for multiple tests at once because if you just do 1 test at a time you won't be gleaning as much meaning from them as if you do multiple tests together. Like some tests are related to each other and you get more information if you do them both at once instead of months apart.

Also, if you email them for a combined discount they'll most likely give you one. I do that all the time. And there are also coupon codes on the internet for like 10% off for use with Direct Labs.

Regarding probiotics, I use Garden of Life Ultimate Care, it has 34 strains and 100 billion CFUs so it's pretty powerful. I don't know if it will help with your acne but it'll help repair the damage done to your gut flora by antibiotics. You'll probably notice easier digestion too. I took it because I had a fungal infection on my arm and the antifungal creams weren't working but the probiotics cleared it right up.

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 12/19/2013 9:19 am

If you've tried topicals and oral antibiotics, and you still suffer from moderate to severe acne, then you are a prime candidate for accutane. Just watch for the serious side effects, and stop the medication at first sign of hair loss or depression. You can then wait for the side effect(s) to clear up before restarting on a lower dosage. I've taken multiple courses and have experienced reversible hairless, occasional blurry vision at night, and eczema on one forearm. All have been relatively minor and more than worth the results. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

The horror stories are totally exaggerated, if only because you CAN stop the medication IF and as soon as you notice it is causing undesirable changes in your body.

As for the supplements, probiotics, etc. take those at your own risk. I would highly recommend reading this article, recently published in the NY Times, "Skip the Supplements:"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/opinion/sunday/skip-the-supplements.html?_r=0

MemberMember
(@rafiki3)

Posted : 12/19/2013 2:22 pm

thank you. i think i am going to opt for or at least ask for accutane. the thing is, i already feel depressed. but its really like ALL stemming from my acne. i know its just made me sad about other things, less social overall which affects other things...but if the acne improves i just know i could try new things and be less depressed.

so is the accutane going to exacerbate my "depression" because i KNOW its from my acne. so is it ok to still do accutane? im assuming i could control or at least realize my feelings are not the accutane itself but just in my head because ive already been very down about myself because of my appearance...im just asking if this is going to be a problem or if ill be fine since i know where my depression is? does that make sense? i dont want accutane to make me crazy of course you know?

MemberMember
(@pumpercrib)

Posted : 12/19/2013 2:53 pm

Dude, please take accutane! My acne was defiantly worse than yours and I was also at university. I couldnt take it anymore! It wasnt so much depression but anxiety my acne gave me, and anxiety is not good for controlling acne! Accutane is almost a miracle drug! I say almost because my acne did return a bit a year or so later and I had to go back on accutane, but it was no where near as bad this time and I went on a lower dose.

As for reading everything you can on the internet about accutane before you take it I would advice against because you are only going to hear horror stories. People who have success with the drug dont tend to post on the internet about it but instead get on with their lives. Myself, my mum and three of my friends have all been on accutane and we are all fine! Honestly if you get past the initial breakout (which some people dont even get) then you will be so thankful you went on it. I left university because of my acne but after accutane I went to college and completed a business course. It gave me my life back. Just remember it will not mean you will never get a spot or pimple again but after accutane they will be much easier to control.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/20/2013 11:37 pm

I hope you will find something that works for you!!

Here is stuff that works for me while growing up and still experimenting.

When my acne was as bad as yours in my late teens my mum took me to the cosmetic doctor during my school holidays. I had 6 peels done on my skin. I could not leave the house. Basically every time my face finished peeling I went back for another deep peel. 6 treatments later i had no acne and no scars. Treatment duration was roughly 12 weeks. Went back to school looking normal and feeling great :)

Then I started working and had sever acne again. I can't take 12 weeks off. So I took roaccutane. I only saw improvements in my skin...they say it gets worse before it gets better but my skin must've been at its peak already because I didn't notice it getting any worse. It only got better over time which was great!

Two months ago I started getting acne again. i went back to proactive but I can't use benzoyl peroxide anymore. I don't know why :( It burns my eyes even though i only apply a thin layer on my jaw line. I was in a meeting at work with burning and watery eyes 3 days after I applied the benzoyl peroxide. My eyes peeled from the effect. It also gave me deep winkles on my forehead and eye area :(

I was using products that contains aha/bha and increase the concentration once my skin is used to it. I also use 100% tea tree and sulphur cream. It worked slowly but it worked!

I also take vitamin tablets now but it's mainly for general health so can't comment on it's effectiveness: multi vitamin, vitamin D, silicea, vitamin c, probiotics and calcium tablets. I avoid dairy.

I visited mum and saw how great the skin on her side of the family is! They all see the same cosmetic doctor (the one that initially treated my acne). He gave me some creams that he concocted to use and told me to see him once it's finished. I have started using it for only a week so can't say. But my non acne areas look brighter...and I still use my tee tree and sulphur cream (I can't find the courage to let go of them yet).

MemberMember
(@drbellz)

Posted : 12/31/2013 11:02 pm

Friend,

You are a boy, and if I was a boy, I would go on Accutane in a heart beat. Go ahead and do it. It will last for 3 months, you will feel very dry and have a horrible first month, but then it will get SO much better, and you will be cured. I have known tons of guys who have had it and it's cured them. Yes, there is some scarring, but afterwards, because you are CLEAR, your face will heal, and you will be so happy. Do it. Don't live miserable anymore. If I was a guy, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Best to you,

Bellz

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 01/03/2014 11:49 am

Apple cider vinegar used as a toner does the same thing for me as Benzoyl Peroxide and usually people see their final results within 1-3 months.