Notifications
Clear all

Myomin - Anyone Heard Of This?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/23/2013 11:14 pm

I was wondering if anyone has come across myomin when researching estrogen dominance. I saw my dr. and I'm waiting for my hormone tests to come back, but she thinks that in addition to high androgens I also have high estrogen. So far, I have been treating high androgens and low progesterone with good results, but haven't address estrogen in my treatment.

Anyway, the doctor told me to look into myomin and see if I'm comfortable taking it. I've seen it mentioned briefly on PCOS forums but not here. I need to make a decision by next week when I go back to get my lab results. I am thinking of going with DIM instead of this because this one has too many herbs in the blend and I don't know how I will react to it. Plus, most reviews about myomin don't even mention acne, and it seems that it's mostly pre & menopausal women with fibroids take it. No idea why the dr recommended this over DIM. She even asked me to consider going back on vitex, but I'd rather take something less strong. Does myomin seem similar to how DIM functions? Does this seem to increase free testosterone like DIM does? eusa_think.gif I'm not taking anything else until I get my lab test back, but unfortunately my insurance didn't cover the saliva testing so they just drew blood instead. It was on my most hormonal day of the month, and I figured maybe something might show up in the lab but I'm still a bit disappointed that I had to do blood testing.

Here's the description from the Chinese herbal site that sells it: http://www.chi-health.co.uk/p_myomin.htm

There are two ways to block the action of estrogen. On is by attaching to its receptors (selective estrogen receptor modulation). This stops the signalling that triggers cell division in target tissues. Another method is aromatase inhibition, which reduces estrogen production by blocking its conversion from androstenedione and testosterone.

Myomin is an all-natural herbal formula that can perform both functions. It contains Aralia, Smilax glabra, Curcurma zedoria, and Cyperus rotundus. These herbs have been traditionally used for various female ailments and hormone related disorders. Aralia and Cyperus rotundus both can reduce estradiol. Cyperus is also effective against cervical endometriosis and cervical carcinoma. Additionally, Aralia has been found to be cytotoxic against several human cancer cell lines.

Myomin has three functions

• It inhibits the aromatase enzyme, effectively reducing estradiol levels by preventing the conversion of androgens to estrone and estradiol. This allows testosterone and estriol (the good estrogen) to accumulate. Aromatase inhibition has become a worthwhile target in many estrogen-dominant disorders
  • It competes with estradiol at the estrogen receptors. This function is particularly effective in cases where estrogen receptors are fully stimulated (e.g. after HRT). Competing with estradiol prevents estradiol from binding to receptors. As a result, proliferation of cells is avoided and abnormal growth inhibited.
  • In increase interferon (IFN) and interleukin-2 (IL-2). IL-2 induces the proliferation of immune cells, enhancing the body's ability to kill tumor cells. IFN stimulates natural killer cells and is active against tumors.
MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 11/24/2013 12:43 am

I looked into myomin after you mentioned it on my thread, and while I don't have much to add, I will say that I saw it recommended for PCOS on a few websites. Also, there aren't tons of reviews on progesterone cream for acne specifically; therefore, myomin may also work despite the lack of reviews.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/24/2013 2:21 am

I looked into myomin after you mentioned it on my thread, and while I don't have much to add, I will say that I saw it recommended for PCOS on a few websites. Also, there aren't tons of reviews on progesterone cream for acne specifically; therefore, myomin may also work despite the lack of reviews.

I have no idea how my doctor found out about this. She said some of her patients use it, but I think they are older. It's made by a British company. The mechanism behind it seems to be legit, and apparently results are very quick. I'm a bit weary though because there aren't any reviews about long term safety, whereas NPC is safe to take long term for sure.

My dr. asked me to consider going back on vitex since it worked for me, and combine it with inositol this time to combat hirsutism. She said it's trial and error with any treatment, even if I know my hormone levels, because it's hard to predict how each treatment will impact hormones in practice. I think she was mentioning vitex because she doesn't want to put me through more trial and error, but then she mentioned myomin and told me to research it and tell her what I think in my next appointment. Why did she give me homework? lol

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 11/26/2013 12:26 pm

I hear ya, a lot of things claim to be the cure. Look at NPC, hasn't "cured" me yet!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/26/2013 12:36 pm

brenmc, I'm thinking NPC isn't enough for you....are you still taking the glucosmart? I might try chiral balance for chiro inositol along with myo-inositol, and then ask my doctor if maybe I should add progesterone cream to the mix to deal with estrogen balance.