Notifications
Clear all

New To Spiro And ?

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 07/14/2013 12:55 pm

Hi all,

I'm glad to know it's not just me suffering from acne. I've always had oily skin (thanks to my mother's genes) and I had acne in my teens which eventually cleared up. Now it's back with vengeance in my mid 40's. I'm in perimenopause and my acne is primarily along my chin and I started getting cystic acne on my forehead. (Paula's Choice BHA and benzoyl peroxide products have helped with this immensely)

I just started taking spiro a couple of weeks ago (100 mg/day) and I've noticed I'm definitely much more tired. I've ended up taking a long nap at the end of the day when I come home from work. Is this a normal side effect? Do I need to drink more water?

Do I need to give my body some time to adjust to the drug?

I would hate to have to stop taking spiro before seeing the effects (I know that will take a few months) and I really do not want to take Accutane.

thanks!

MemberMember
(@bodysnxtcher)

Posted : 07/14/2013 4:10 pm

hey, i'm relatively new to spiro as well, i only started taking it 3 weeks ago, and from my experience so far i've definately been more tired but i dont really see it as a major downside.. i would say to keep taking it until you see positive results with your acne, and if the tiredness is still there and it outweighs the pros then definitely tell your derm about it. also i would say drinking more water is always a good option, i've read that fatigue may be a sign of dehydration.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/14/2013 10:38 pm

Yes you should be drinking 8 large glasses of water on a normal day. Spiro is a diuretic so you need to drink even more water than usual more like 10 large glasses of water. A good rule of thumb if your urine is yellow your not drinking enough. If its dear then your properly hydrated.

I was tired my first few weeks of spiro too, it will pass. It did for me! I hope this helps any other questions let me know, best of luck!!

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 07/15/2013 1:42 pm

Thanks for the responses and it looks like the lack of water was the reason for my fatigue. Plus I started taking two x 25 mg pills twice a day instead of 1 x 25 mg four times a day. (for some reason, my body does better with this)

Now I've got a question about OC. I'll create another post.