Notifications
Clear all

Implanon Gave Me Acne, Now Pregnancy

MemberMember
(@autumn123)

Posted : 07/08/2013 10:37 am

I got the implanon birth control and have tried several birth controls before and never had any notable side effects with any. Several months after getting the implanon I began getting cystic bumps that put me to tears trying to control. I have a very healthy lifestyle and never struggled with more than a menstrual breakout. Before I knew what was causing the acne, I spent nearly a thousand dollars on external products in Less than a year. When I finally realized the implanon caused it I immediately got it out, then immediately got pregnant! The acne is 10x worse! I'm afraid to blow more money on my face now that I have a baby on the way. I guess I'm just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone or someone they know. This is terrible:( I never want to go anywhere now and I have a job where I need to be very presentable and have my make up done up in this humid weather. I love my job but feel like I'm slacking because my acne has physically and mentally taken over! Help? Advice?

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 07/08/2013 11:31 am

Why were you taking birth control if you're willing to just have the baby anyway?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/08/2013 11:43 am

Sorry you are dealing with this. I also had the worst acne ever in the first trimester of pregnancy. If you are like me then you will be completely clear in your third trimester. I wish I had known, but you CAN use benzyl peroxide which might help. Other things you can use which didn't help me, are Finacea and Clindamicyn. If you are getting cysts like I was then you can be on the antibiotic Keflex. I had a couple 4 week stints on this while pregnant and it is safe...they even give it to infants. I wouldn't use anything to harsh on your skin like alcohol based products. Good luck - I know the pain.

Why were you taking birth control if you're willing to just have the baby anyway?

This is a silly question - women like to plan WHEN they will have a baby. Lots of women who want babies at some point are on birth control currently.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/08/2013 12:48 pm

Comments like this are asanine and not helpful at all. If you have nothing useful to offer, don't post

You are not the first person to develop acne after using BC and unfortunately, you won't be the last. My heart goes out to you during this difficult time. You have a lot of wonderful things to look forward to though (a baby, how exciting). As for treating your acne. I am on the Acne.org Regimen and have seen some decent improvements and i think that since it is BP it is safe for use during pregnancy (though you will want to check with your OBGYN). If anything, it should make things more manageable as it has really cleared up many members who had SEVERE cycstic acne. A change in diet may or may not help but it is worth looking into. Also, as one poster stated, your body might eventually adjust on its own

Stay strong mama - you're not alone.

iforgot liked
MemberMember
(@tban0117)

Posted : 07/08/2013 8:43 pm

Awww, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this at such a special time in your life. I too am pregnant. I'm 5 1/2 months and feared getting acne because of the experience I had with my first son.

I was on Yasmin for 7-9 years and got off thinking is be ok but I went from flawless to battle field. I know what you're going through. Now that I'm more than half way in my pregnancy, I am beginning to get yucky breakouts and FEAR looking like I did in the past.

Honestly though, Ive thought about it since I had my son and researched so much. I am also now an esthetician and feel so much more prepared. I'm praying like crazy but I don't know what will happen. If you have ANY questions regarding skin care during your pregnancy or anything, inbox me. I became an esthetician because I want to help people like us. I know how it feels and it makes me sad to know people get sick and depressed because of it.

For now, I will tell you to use a very gentle cleanser. Don't over dry your skin out because you are already producing mega oil and over drying will cause havoc. Try using something with lactic acid in it. I personally use Rhonda Allison skin care line from my esthetician. Love em...

Second don't scrub/over exfoliate. It spreads more bacteria and that will cause more acne. I you pick your pimples, that will spread bacteria as well and cause more acne.

I'm not really in to toning much so I go right to moisturizing with hyaluronic acid serum and I finish of with sunblock.

You can exfoliate 2-3 times a week depending on how bad your skin is. As far as products you can and can't use, I can give you so many but I'd definitely tell you to check with your OB before anything.

I hope you find some hope in my message. You are creating a beautiful life in your tummy and no matter how you think you look, you are beautiful. Don't let this get you down. Easier said than done, I know. As I can't seem to take my own advice but it's the truth. Enjoy your pregnancy mamma!!!

iforgot liked
MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 07/11/2013 12:51 am

Sorry, I read it as she came off Implanon not to get pregnant but because of the acne. Then she got pregnant by accident but kept the baby. I guess I forgot that many people are pro-life. And don't think that taking birth control contradicts that.

MemberMember
(@kjoysmomma)

Posted : 07/14/2013 7:23 am

I had terrible acne my first trimester with my daughter! It never completely went away but it did calm down to just a couple bumps at a time! I do believe it is very common to have acne during the first trimester since there are so many hormones all at once!