Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Acne Advice

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 05/31/2013 10:05 am

Hi everyone,

i'm new to acne.org (but not to acne)

i'm a 41 year old female who would like to talk to / seek advice from other females who have hormornal acne.

if i give you a liitle of my history, this may help.

At the age of 28 i came off the mini pill and soon after developed acne. Gp at the time didnt discuss what kind of acne it was but prescribed me with Quinerderm Bp 2.5 %(i also used the 5 and 10) and Amoxicillin antibiotics at 5ml spoon, x2 a day (have issues swallowing large pills !). After around 18 months i was clear. I did not have any further break outs for just over 11 years. i seriously have given no thought to acne for 11 years. Very,very occasionaly i have had one or two spots (not acne) around the time of the month. They would leave me as my period finished.

Since January this year i have had very erratic and heavy periods (but no breakouts) then in April this year i had a mid cycle bleed and a massive out break of acne. This acne is similar to the acne i had when i was 28, small pimples which totally cover my forehead and lots of small white heads and larger red, bumpy lumps which are on my neck, jaw line and around my mouth. After many visits to see my current Gp and 1 month of persisting with quinerderm (to no avail) , i am currently back on Amoxicillin at 5ml spoon x2 a day and Zineryt gel, twice a day.I cannot take the pill or dianne 35 due to my age and being a smoker. I have been referred to the hospital , but as i am in distress, forgot to ask which department !

I would like to treat this acne outbreak as naturally as possible. I'm not sure i could cope with accutane as i already have IBS and Fibromyalgia.

i apologise for the lengthy post but thought it best to get it all down.

Thanks for reading (if you did!)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/31/2013 1:04 pm

whats ur diet and lifestyle like?

(sleeep.stress,activity level).

say more than 'healthy'.

'healthy' is subjective.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 05/31/2013 1:17 pm

One word for you. Spiro

What spiro does is it mute your androgens. Which cause hormonal acne in women. It stops acne from being able to form I'm the first place. It won't clear what is active on your face at the moment. You need to clear that with witch hazel or BP or topicals. Or something along that line. But the spiro will stop new acne from coming. I have been on it for 4 months now and the only side effects I've had is going to the restroom a tad more a day. Spiro is a known diuretic. It can also lower blood pressure which is something your doctor will keep a eye on. The side effects are much less risky than accutane or long term antibiotic. And it works! My obgyn said my blood pressure was perfect and it's not common for blood pressure to drop. But it can. Speaking of my obgyn that is who prescribes me the spiro. Ob and endocrinologists often prescribe it since they deal with hormones. Some dermatologist will and some general practioners will too. But if your acne is hormonal spiro I the way to go!

Also there is a over the counter pill that causes the same effect called saw palmetto. Males an take it. So can females but spiro isnt safe for men to take. I've heard that spiro is faster and more effective at clearing skin. But saw palmetto and spiro both will do the same thing in the long run. There is a member of the board named green gables who goes into details about some medication I will link them below.

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 05/31/2013 2:20 pm

Hi both,

Thanks for the replies. Ok my father passed away suddenly almost four yrs ago and before that I had quite a bad lifestyle, smoking,drinking, vegetarian but taking no supplements nor eating any nuts, pulses, seeds etc, nor much fruit either. Since he passed I became I'll with fibromyalgia , so I upped my game. Past 3 yrs, bran for breakfast, 2 glasses of juice a day, 2 glasses of water,2 pieces of fruit a day, green veg and quorn for evening meal. Also do 15 mins a day cardio kickboxing. I am underweight. I have been under severe stress for almost 4 yrs and suffer with anxiety /depression. Only sleep for 2 - 3 hrs a nite due to stress.

(Hope that's not too much info...!)

Ok, spiro; can I take this as a 41 year old smoker ? I will definitely speak to the hospital about this when I get to my appointment.

I am hoping the zineryt is going to clear some of the current acne, it's certainly helping but taking a while (yeah, I know , 2 weeks isn't long enough, lol !)

Saw palmetto ; seen other women on here talk about this...does this come in the form of a tablet too ? Will health stores sell this and be able to advise on dosage ?

Sorry if too much information given or too many questions being asked.

Thanks for your replies x

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 05/31/2013 2:48 pm

Like Moonlight , I've read your links and also had a google on both spiro and saw palmetto. Thank you , as you have given me some hope. I will keep you updated on which way I decide to go.. Many Thanks.

MemberMember
(@ladolcevita95)

Posted : 05/31/2013 4:52 pm

Green tea and spearmint tea are believed to lower androgen levels. Androgens are male hormones, but women have them too. During one's "time of the month" androgen levels increase and cause glands to secrete more oil/cause more acne.

I also heard taking fish oil pills could help with hormonal acne.

Taking birth control pills or spironolactone would help.

Lowering blood sugar levels would help too. High blood sugar levels causes an insulin response (to lower the glucose/blood sugar levels). High insulin concentrations could result in an inflammatory response. So avoid eating sugary foods.

See your doctor to see if you have PCOS or a hormonal imbalance

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 05/31/2013 8:03 pm

I have been under severe stress for almost 4 yrs and suffer with anxiety /depression. Only sleep for 2 - 3 hrs a nite due to stress.

I've suffered with extreme anxiety and depression for the past three years, and I know for a fact the stress made my acne 10 x worse. Insomnia is a big thing with me too. I'm not sure if you're already addressing these things, but I know once I started counselling/employing strategies to help me sleep better my anxiety has decreased, and when I'm less stressed I don't get as much acne (mine is hormonal too, and I was prescribed Yaz recently).

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 05/31/2013 11:26 pm

Hormonal acne isn't just caused by too many androgens. It can be caused by too much progresterone or too much estrogen circulating.

Taking antibiotics for long term can cuase acne as well. Antibiotics kill all bacteria so that means our bodies beneficial bacteria gets wiped out too.

Probiotics, a womens multi vitamin and a good acne regimen targeted for your age group is the way to go. Try this before anything else. Give this a good two months and if you don't see results, you're acne could be due to an hormonal imbalance.

Any sort of hormone fluctuation can indeed cause acne but, don't go out trying to fix this on your own without getting the proper test done.

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/01/2013 5:50 am

Thanks for all your responses x

A.p , can I ask which is the test I need done ? I asked my Gp about bloods but was told that because I'm a bit young for the menopause I couldn't have them. I am waiting for a hospital app, so want to be armed with as much info as possible.

Also, you talk about a 'acne regimen targeted for my age group' , what would this be?

Sorbet ; yeah, I did wonder if stress plays a part as I've read it can mess with hormones etc. I do have counselling , since I lost dad, but I've had continued stress at work and caring for mum for a long time now. It can't help. Not sure what to do about this one! Lol.

Ladolcevita95 ; I'm cutting dairy and sugar out of my diet as if now, and I am going to push for the correct testing for hormonal imbalance and pcos at the hospital. I'm sure I've got pcos. Need confirmation. Spearmint tea and green tea are in the house, so will up my intake. Going to reduce caffeine as well as milk.

Thanks everyone. I don't feel so anxious anymore. X

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/01/2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for all your responses x

A.p , can I ask which is the test I need done ? I asked my Gp about bloods but was told that because I'm a bit young for the menopause I couldn't have them. I am waiting for a hospital app, so want to be armed with as much info as possible.

Also, you talk about a 'acne regimen targeted for my age group' , what would this be?

Sorbet ; yeah, I did wonder if stress plays a part as I've read it can mess with hormones etc. I do have counselling , since I lost dad, but I've had continued stress at work and caring for mum for a long time now. It can't help. Not sure what to do about this one! Lol.

Ladolcevita95 ; I'm cutting dairy and sugar out of my diet as if now, and I am going to push for the correct testing for hormonal imbalance and pcos at the hospital. I'm sure I've got pcos. Need confirmation. Spearmint tea and green tea are in the house, so will up my intake. Going to reduce caffeine as well as milk.

Thanks everyone. I don't feel so anxious anymore. X

A saliva hormone test would be best. Most teenage acne treatments include benzoyl peroxide. As we age sometimes oil production slows down so you don't want to dry your skin out too much. Plus as we get older wrinkles start to appear and bp could make them worse.

I like products containing acids like salicylic acid, mandelic acid and glycolic acid. But you're still going to need something that fights bacteria so I recommend sulfur instead of bp. Sulfur can be drying too but trust me its way better than bp because it increases cell turnover so your scars go way much quicker and you won't get wrinkles.

I guess that type of regimen doesn't just suit older skin. Just stay away from bp. I'm really not a fan of bp as you can tell haha!

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/01/2013 4:30 pm

Ok , thanks for this info. I'll make sure I ask for this test. At the moment I'm using zineryt but I do know I'll probably need to change this at some point, although it does seem to have helped somewhat. Will ask my gp about the acid topicals on Monday and will also bring up the saliva test ( although I'm guessing that's something the hospital would do?) . Thanks v.much xx

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/01/2013 5:00 pm

I second what a.p. said about saliva testing and probiotics. Even if you don't have PCOS, you can have hormonal fluctuations that affect your acne, and your liver & gut might also need strengthening in order to regulate hormonal balance and the proper absorption of nutrients. Make sure you get a good quality probiotic, with multiple strands, no capsule fillers, dairy & gluten-free, and so on. Start with a lower dosage (maybe a few million) and work your way to a stronger probiotic ( >a billion microorganisms). If you check the forum for probiotics you will find many good recommendations.

Since you have been under a lot of stress, your body may be in a "fight or flight" mode which can cause erratic periods, acne flare ups, and insomnia. This is caused by prolonged stress and anxiety. Basically, your body may still be in defense mode and you need to find ways to alleviate chronic stress. Even if you mentally feel less stressed, your body can take a while to catch onto it which is why you are experiencing symptoms of chronic stress. Smoking might be a good way to relieve stress (it used to be my stress reliever along with exercise) but you are not doing yourself any favors by smoking. I quit after many years of being a smoker, and it was the best decision I ever made because it regulated my metabolism and helped me achieve a healthy weight.

If saliva testing doesn't indicate major hormonal imbalances, then maybe try to restore your gut flora (with probiotics and healthy diet), then introduce a good multivitamin (don't overload your liver with too many supplements all at once), and strengthen your immune system by getting more sleep and adding more vitamin-c dense foods. Give it a few months to start working. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/01/2013 6:20 pm

Hi wishclean,

I am definetley going to get the saliva test, I've googled it and I've seen you can purchase on line. If my GP doesn't agree to one (not sure GP's do them ?) Then will get one online before I get to the hospital. I will also look on here at the probiotics you have mentioned. I do have IBS and have to take fybogel but will look into this. I did take some years ago, but just ended up forgetting to take them and never started again!! Can I also take zinc suppliments ?

Do you think I may need them ?

Also, I forgot to mention, but I am CONSTANTLY itching, anyone know what that could be ??

All your advice has been helpful and invaluable. Thanks ladies. Xx

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/01/2013 10:08 pm

My GP only did blood testing for me, for both hormones and allergies, because that was the only form of testing the hospital offered. Health insurances usually cover blood tests, not sure about saliva testing but they really should because those are far more accurate. Hormones fluctuate so much that it's hard to accurately measure them, even through saliva testing, but at least if some of your hormones are way low/high that should give you an indication on where the balance lies. Make sure you ask for a comprehensive hormone test that includes hormones not commonly associated with acne but can still cause imbalances that trigger it, like progesterone. Also test your insulin (sometimes you have to go through an allergist for this one), thyroid, and if you suspect mineral or vitamin deficiencies. If you don't have PCOS, you might have adrenal fatigue especially since you have been through long periods of stress. There are online quizzes to self-diagnose, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. Look at the symptoms and see if you suffer from most of them.

I read a lot of good things about zinc supplements and have been taking them for a while now, but honestly I didn't notice a difference. I'm not into megadosing, so maybe it's because I'm just taking the RDA % and it takes longer to see results that way. I think for hormonal imbalances, magnesium can be more beneficial as a supplement than zinc because many women with low progesterone and/or PCOS are deficient in magnesium. Right now I'm taking zinc early in the morning with a meal and vitamin C, then magnesium at night because I read that magnesium can sometimes interfere with the absorption of zinc. I also take a probiotic whenever I feel bloated, but the allergist I saw recommended taking it consistently until I find out what my food sensitivities are.

About the itching, where do you itch? In random places or all over? I itch on my leg whenever I exercise (just one leg, same spot every time), and I thought it was perhaps a sensitivity to cotton or workout clothes, but it happens when I wear shorts too. Usually I'll put some aloe vera or cold water on it and it goes away quickly.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/02/2013 1:33 am

Hi both,

Thanks for the replies. Ok my father passed away suddenly almost four yrs ago and before that I had quite a bad lifestyle, smoking,drinking, vegetarian but taking no supplements nor eating any nuts, pulses, seeds etc, nor much fruit either. Since he passed I became I'll with fibromyalgia , so I upped my game. Past 3 yrs, bran for breakfast, 2 glasses of juice a day, 2 glasses of water,2 pieces of fruit a day, green veg and quorn for evening meal. Also do 15 mins a day cardio kickboxing. I am underweight. I have been under severe stress for almost 4 yrs and suffer with anxiety /depression. Only sleep for 2 - 3 hrs a nite due to stress.

(Hope that's not too much info...!)

Ok, spiro; can I take this as a 41 year old smoker ? I will definitely speak to the hospital about this when I get to my appointment.

I am hoping the zineryt is going to clear some of the current acne, it's certainly helping but taking a while (yeah, I know , 2 weeks isn't long enough, lol !)

Saw palmetto ; seen other women on here talk about this...does this come in the form of a tablet too ? Will health stores sell this and be able to advise on dosage ?

Sorry if too much information given or too many questions being asked.

Thanks for your replies x

sorry but ur diet and lifestyle is something thats against ur skin.

2 glasses of water?

u should actually have 1 litre of water for 20kg of ur body weight.that is if u r 60kg u r to have 3 litres of water.

have 2 portion of fruit and 3 (or more more more) portion of veggies everyday.have lots of green leafy veggies.

have protein in good amount.eggs,fish(omega 3)

avoid dairy completely.

limit sugar.

and also,not drink hard drinks/soda or have too much dessert and candy etc(u can indulge once in a while though).

also,check for gluten and other food through elimination test.

also take supplementation of vitamin zinc if needed.

is ur skin oily?

u could of course try the saliva test and try probiotic.but be careful about the dosage(many cant tolerate probiotics well).

also,what cleanser do u use?

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/02/2013 7:14 am

I itch all over, in quite random places. Sometimes it's the spots, often it's my legs,stomach, arms, back etc. not sure what that is!

I'm really interested in having a full bloods done for hormones and allergies as I definitely feel that something is going on with my body and I wouldn't be surprised at all if its stress related. I've had chronic fatigue and chronic pain for 6 years but it got worse when I lost dad. No gp I have ever seen for either condition had ever mentioned any bloods / allergies and I think they should have. (I'm in the uk so it would be on the nhs).

My skin has recently been terribly oily, over producing oil in silly amounts. I've been using zineryt for 2 weeks and have not had to apply any moisturiser at all and skin is now normal / balanced (apart from the acne,obviously)

For the past 2 weeks I have not been using any products at all, just washing my face in lukewarm water and applying zineryt. I've been too scared to apply anything because the products I used when I was acne free are not acne friendly so I can't use them now. I have no idea what to put on my face. Any ideas ?

Thanks to both of you. X

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 06/02/2013 8:21 pm

Can I also take zinc suppliments ?

Do you think I may need them ?

I found zinc made a massive difference to my skin, and when I came off them (which was a stupid decision), I broke out. I also take spirulina because I get very run down and sick due to my anxiety which puts my body out of whack, and I've found spirulina helps me feel better overall.

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/03/2013 2:22 pm

Been to see gp today, won't do blood testing for hormonal imbalance , or any other tests such as saliva test. I am in the uk. What is the point of the NHS ? Waste of time. I'm totally fed up. I think all you guys on here are heros , to live long term with this. It's driving me insane ! I have to go to work looking like this ?! hospital appointment came through for August. At least I have one.

Zinc supplements and multi vits, here I come !! No dairy and no sugars, I'm convinced I have some kind of hormonal acne, I'm not stupid but the Dr's sure make you feel that way.

Thanks to all you guys on here for being so helpful. Stupid acne !!!

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:51 pm

All over, general fatigue and itching sounds like systemic candida.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/05/2013 1:59 pm

Ahh, I remember the NHS. All they did for my acne was give me antibiotics and yaz, and also recommended anti depressants. How about getting to the root of the problem instead?!?!?

I understand your frustration. I would say try supplements but go slow at first...it can really take some experimentation until you find the right combo for you. Many people swear by zinc, but I never noticed an improvement when I'm taking it. I always take the recommended dosage because megadosing is dangerous. I used to take solgar's earth source vitamins every day because, in my opinion, they are more useful than women's daily multis (which sometimes have herbal blends that can sway your hormones in the wrong direction). That single multivitamin helped me soooo much through a period of persistent cystic acne, and I realized that I had vitamin and mineral deficiencies. A few months taking it along with an antioxidant (acai berry), daily sun exposure, and quitting smoking, and I was clear for 2 years. Unfortunately, now my acne is not responding to just multis so I had to figure out a new regimen and it's still in the trial and error phase.

If you have adrenal fatigue or candida, the NHS will probably not recognize these as "real" causes of acne. I had to go to an allergist to figure out how to boost my immune system because the other doctors I saw were not receptive to holistic methods and just had standardized prescriptions for me. The allergist suggested antihistamines, probiotics (which I was already on, but she recommended a stronger dosage) and nasal spray, and I am now on digestive enzymes to see if that will help. This was a totally different approach to all the other "experts" I saw, and I chose to go with this one because it was less extreme and more holistic (she also recommended biofeedback therapy,which might work in your case as well).

I usually make the doctors feel stupid, not the other way round! That's because I always do my research before an appointment - I learned that the hard way, when I messed up my body from years of taking whatever crap was prescribed to me.

Try to fix your overall health and hopefully you will see an improvement in your acne. And I totally second what aanabiil said about diet and drinking lots of water, especially if you are a smoker. When I smoked, I was always dehydrated and had to drink more than 8 glasses of water per day. The diet cokes and soda weren't helping either.

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/08/2013 2:50 pm

Have made some slight changes to diet. No dairy ( I don't eat cheese anyhow and have switched to soy milk). Have upped zinc intake and as we have, amazingly,had some sun these past 2 weeks in the uk, I've been getting some Vit D. I am also now adding sunflower and pumpkin seeds to two meals a day (daily recommended amounts) . I already eat a lot of green, leafy vegetables and am trying to drink 3 - 4 glasses of water a day. No soda. No sugary foods (oh, how i miss chocolate ! ) I am also making smoothies with 3/4 different fruits and adding soy milk. I am also taking a multi vitamin each day, for vegetarians and vegans and drinking spearmint and peppermint tea. Will also be ordering spearmint tea with milk thistle and nettle online , as I used to have this but can no longer find it in any stores. I will be going to my NHS derm appointment but am looking into a private consult with an allergist. The itching on my body seems to have stopped....?

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 06/10/2013 7:37 pm

I recommend replacing soy milk with almond milk (unsweetened vanilla is tasty). Search 'soy' on this site for info on the soy, acne/hormone connection.

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/11/2013 6:26 am

Have googled this connection and it looks like some people have flare ups taking soy milk, yet others dont.

I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do.. any suggestions ?

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 06/11/2013 7:17 pm

Have googled this connection and it looks like some people have flare ups taking soy milk, yet others dont.

I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do.. any suggestions ?

I recently stopped eating all dairy to see if it had any effect on my skin - I have to say my skin did clear a little. I read about soy milk too so I haven't tried it just in case. I've been drinking organic rice milk and organic unsweetened almond milk. I usually only have milk in tea anyway so I quite enjoy it :)

Have you found you've had any breakouts since you started drinking soy milk? You could try an alternative milk and see if your skin clears even more, if not soy milk might be fine for you to drink.

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/12/2013 11:28 am

Since i've made the changes i've noted in above posts, i have only had one or two new pimples every 3 - 4 days. They are very small therefore at a metre distance are un noticable. i woke up this morning with 3 new pimples under my mouth and a small collection on my left lower chin , which i've had for over a month and had almost 'faded'. Today they look a lot more noticable. I can't see this being due to the soy milk, as i've been using it for 2 cups of tea a day and cereal , for almost 2 weeks . Would it not have broken me out straight away ? I will try the almond milk though , as i dont want to go back to pasturised milk at all. My period is due in 8 days (if it arrives when it should, which it hasn't been!) so i'm wondering if the small breakouts i'm starting to experience are linked to that. Who knows ?! like i've read on someones post on here, acne is such a rollercoaster. sigh...it's draining. Keep on keeping on, i guess.....

oh, i forgot to add, the itching has started again, and i'm having some awful hot flushes which can last for up to 2 hours...(not good when i'm trying to go to work and deal with clients...)