Notifications
Clear all

Pcos - Taking Vit D3 And Zinc

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 05/16/2013 4:11 am

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago and have been on birth control since. I wanted to get of it because I know in the long run that it is just not good for you.

I just started taking Vitamin D3 and Zinc today instead. I wanted to find out if there are others out there with PCOS who have tried taking these supplements as well. Have they done anything for your acne situation? Lessen? Increase? Have they kept your cycles regular?

And also interested in the dosage you take. Currently on 1000UI for the Vit D3 and 50mg for the Zinc.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/29/2013 1:25 am

I have been diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago, and after getting off birth control my hormones went completely out of whack. I recommend getting off birth control gradually if possible, depending on what you are on. Try, for example, taking 1 pill every other day, then 1 every 2 days and so on....that might minimize the shock your body will go through when the synthetic hormone support will disappear. Visit a good naturopath or acupuncturist to prescribe herbs and/or supplements to help your body cope with the transition.

Are you seeing results with the D3 and zinc?

I didn't see any when I supplemented just D3, and then I did some research and saw that if magnesium is low then vitamin D doesn't help. So instead, I am taking magnesium supplements and zinc, and getting my vitamin D from soy milk (in limited quantities) and sunlight.

The herb that really helped me when I went off birth control was vitex/ agnust castus, in combination with evening primrose, a multivitamin and probiotics. However, you have to be sure of what your hormonal imbalance is before taking any kind of herb that stimulates hormones. In my case, I began getting more facial hair with the vitex, which meant that I had to balance it with another herb but I didn't know which one would be suitable and then my hormones went out of whack again.

So I think for now just stick with the supplements you are taking if they are working for you, and then see what happens after you get off birth control. If you feel like you are off balance after a few months off the BCP, then get your hormones checked before starting a new supplements regimen.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 05/29/2013 5:27 am

I have been diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago, and after getting off birth control my hormones went completely out of whack. I recommend getting off birth control gradually if possible, depending on what you are on. Try, for example, taking 1 pill every other day, then 1 every 2 days and so on....that might minimize the shock your body will go through when the synthetic hormone support will disappear. Visit a good naturopath or acupuncturist to prescribe herbs and/or supplements to help your body cope with the transition.

Are you seeing results with the D3 and zinc?

I didn't see any when I supplemented just D3, and then I did some research and saw that if magnesium is low then vitamin D doesn't help. So instead, I am taking magnesium supplements and zinc, and getting my vitamin D from soy milk (in limited quantities) and sunlight.

The herb that really helped me when I went off birth control was vitex/ agnust castus, in combination with evening primrose, a multivitamin and probiotics. However, you have to be sure of what your hormonal imbalance is before taking any kind of herb that stimulates hormones. In my case, I began getting more facial hair with the vitex, which meant that I had to balance it with another herb but I didn't know which one would be suitable and then my hormones went out of whack again.

So I think for now just stick with the supplements you are taking if they are working for you, and then see what happens after you get off birth control. If you feel like you are off balance after a few months off the BCP, then get your hormones checked before starting a new supplements regimen.

Thanks for that information! I have already stopped taking my BCP though. I was taking Diane 35 and I finished my last pill 2 weeks ago and started taking the Zinc and Vit D. So far so good. I got clear doing Dan's regimen and so far I haven't had any breakouts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

I am experiencing the side effects of coming of BCP though. Just yesterday I noticed spotting and it kinda freaked me out a bit. Did you experience that??

I know my hormones will still be out of sync, but hopefully my acne won't flare up or any PCOS symptoms don't suddenly come in full force.

And also, how high are your zinc and vit D doses?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/29/2013 10:52 am

I was taking diane 35 with androcur, and when I went off it I did notice some spotting but it's nothing to worry about unless it continues for more than 2 months after you've quit. It's just an indication of a hormonal change, in this case a withdrawal from synthetic hormones. My acne didn't return until a few months after I went off BCP, and it started with little zits under the surface of my skin. I wish I had consulted these forums back then because I didn't take any precautions for coming off BCP. The main thing I noticed while on diane, and then even more when I got off it, was weight gain, bloating, and increased hunger. I think as long as you keep your stress at bay and pursue a healthy diet with regular exercise, you will be fine.

I only take 25mg of zinc everyday, sometimes 50mg. As for the vitamin D, I just get it from taking a walk in the sunshine because I don't do well with vitamin D supplements, for some reason (probably the oil they add for better absorption) my skin gets worse. As I said in my previous post, if you have a magnesium deficiency like some women with PCOS, then your body won't be able to properly absorb vitamin D supplements. I'm currently taking magnesium (250-350mg daily), along with zinc (25mg) and vitamin C (500-750mg). I think the dose you are currently taking is fine, don't go too high! You may want to add some vitamin C to your regimen, or drink some juice everyday.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 05/29/2013 8:00 pm

I was taking diane 35 with androcur, and when I went off it I did notice some spotting but it's nothing to worry about unless it continues for more than 2 months after you've quit. It's just an indication of a hormonal change, in this case a withdrawal from synthetic hormones. My acne didn't return until a few months after I went off BCP, and it started with little zits under the surface of my skin. I wish I had consulted these forums back then because I didn't take any precautions for coming off BCP. The main thing I noticed while on diane, and then even more when I got off it, was weight gain, bloating, and increased hunger. I think as long as you keep your stress at bay and pursue a healthy diet with regular exercise, you will be fine.

I only take 25mg of zinc everyday, sometimes 50mg. As for the vitamin D, I just get it from taking a walk in the sunshine because I don't do well with vitamin D supplements, for some reason (probably the oil they add for better absorption) my skin gets worse. As I said in my previous post, if you have a magnesium deficiency like some women with PCOS, then your body won't be able to properly absorb vitamin D supplements. I'm currently taking magnesium (250-350mg daily), along with zinc (25mg) and vitamin C (500-750mg). I think the dose you are currently taking is fine, don't go too high! You may want to add some vitamin C to your regimen, or drink some juice everyday.

Thanks for that info. Will look into the magnesium supplements. I actually do take vitamin C a few days a week. 1000mg in a dose so I don't do it everyday.

Did you find that your acne got worse when getting of the BCP? Were you on any skin care regimen at that time? I am on the regimen now and my skin hasn't shown any significant changes since going off the pill. When exactly did the small spots start coming back? And did taking the supplements you are taking now help with clearing your acne?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/01/2013 2:43 pm

Thanks for that info. Will look into the magnesium supplements. I actually do take vitamin C a few days a week. 1000mg in a dose so I don't do it everyday.

Did you find that your acne got worse when getting of the BCP? Were you on any skin care regimen at that time? I am on the regimen now and my skin hasn't shown any significant changes since going off the pill. When exactly did the small spots start coming back? And did taking the supplements you are taking now help with clearing your acne?

Why aren't you taking a slightly lower does of vitamin C (500 mg) every day, instead of a few days a week? I found that taking it every day helps me more, but I guess it depends on how you respond to supplements. Magnesium has to be taken every day if you are deficient though, you can't do a cumulative dosage, but if you decide to start that then start with a low dose and work yourself up to the RDA of 100% daily. I don't think there's a need to go higher than that unless you are not seeing an improvement after a month.

It's good that you are taking steps to prepare your body for the transition after quitting BCP. I wish I had done that, but I didn't even know about hormone management back then. With any BCP I have taken, when I got off it my skin actually got better and looked healthier for a few months (texture wise, because the acne was already gone by then), but then my hormones would revert back to their "natural" unbalanced state. I didn't really have an intense skincare regimen because I developed an allergy to benzoyl peroxide and was only using really gentle products. For me, stress always triggers the hormonal imbalance, and without the support from BCP my body couldn't handle stress well so my hormones can get out of whack easily. If you have your stress under control and are not having symptoms of depression and anxiety, then you should be fine.

The mistake I was making every time I would go off BCP was that, as soon as the acne came back, I would get scared and go back on another BCP instead of try to find a healthier solution. Herbs and supplements helped me a lot when I completely quit BCP 5 years ago, but my last breakout was the hardest to manage and the supplements that used to work for me in the past weren't doing anything, Not even my usual skincare (boscia products for acne-prone skin) was doing anything, so I switched everything up. In the past, I had managed to find perfect combinations of supplements and skincare products to completely clear my skin, but this time it's been harder so I can only tell you what worked for me up until this current breakout.

1. Agnus casts/ vitex: It helped me have regular periods after quitting BCP but the side effect was an increase in facial & body hair. I don't recommend this for long term use, and it should be taken with an anti-androgen to balance out its androgenic impact.

2. Evening primrose oil: A milder alternative to agnus castus, can help with PMS related acne. However, some people have reported more breakouts from it so it depends on how your body reacts to it.

3. Acai berry supplements: Help with antioxidant support and contain a good mixture of vitamins for healthy skin. The brands with the fewer capsule fillers are solgar and paradise. I avoid the ones that add corn, wheat, rice, etc to their supplements.

4. Solgar's Earth Source vitamins: I used these when I was trying not to use too many herbs. They helped keep my skin clear after a nasty ongoing breakout, and were working for me up until the past few months. I think I just didn't need them anymore, but they are definitely the best multivitamin I have tried so far because they also contain other good things like selenium, magnesium, a mild herbal blend, and glutathione.

5. L-glutathione: This is one of the few things that has helped me with inflammation this time around. Not recommended for long term use, just 1-2 months for liver detoxification and antioxidant support. It really helped me with inflammation and less severe hormonal breakouts. It's easier for the body to absorb if you are also taking vitamin C (but not at the same time - vit. c with a meal, then glutathione 1-2 hours in between meals).

6. Vitamin C: This helps more with skin texture, energy, and healing.

7. Probiotics: I use the dairy free kind, with multiple strands of probiotics to help maintain a healthy liver and gut, which also helps regulate hormones more effectively.

Ok, this is all I can think of right now. Hope this helps! It's good to start with less and then see how your skin will be in a few months, and adjust your regimen accordingly. Right now, you are doing a preventative regimen because your skin is clear, so don't go overboard. If your acne starts to come back in a few months (hopefully not!), don't panic and don't go back on BCP if you are trying to quit for good. Just slowly adjust your supplements and skincare, and you'll be fine shifty.gif

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/01/2013 11:11 pm

Thanks very much for going into such great detail about that. I will look into your advice and will see what works.

I guess the big thing for me right now is handling stress and anxiety. I get that from work and day to day things that happen in my life that it gets the best of me sometimes. It is hard for me to let go sometimes I guess that's why I still get a few spots now and then. I'm trying to find ways to work on that though. :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/12/2013 5:18 pm

D3 is essential for health and hormone regulation, but few people seem to clear up completely on JUST D3. It's sort of like D3 is the floor and being acne-free is the carpet. Well you can't have carpet without a floor, but just a floor isn't the same as floor and carpet. Okay, stupid analogy, but you get the idea. I still take D3 just to maintain good health and energy. But if I were you, I would look into more direct hormonal regulation AS WELL through:

- natural USP progesterone

- DIM

- vitex agnus

- herbal anti-androgens (saw palmetto, stinging nettle)

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/23/2013 7:49 am

Why aren't you taking a slightly lower does of vitamin C (500 mg) every day, instead of a few days a week? I found that taking it every day helps me more, but I guess it depends on how you respond to supplements. Magnesium has to be taken every day if you are deficient though, you can't do a cumulative dosage, but if you decide to start that then start with a low dose and work yourself up to the RDA of 100% daily. I don't think there's a need to go higher than that unless you are not seeing an improvement after a month.

It's good that you are taking steps to prepare your body for the transition after quitting BCP. I wish I had done that, but I didn't even know about hormone management back then. With any BCP I have taken, when I got off it my skin actually got better and looked healthier for a few months (texture wise, because the acne was already gone by then), but then my hormones would revert back to their "natural" unbalanced state. I didn't really have an intense skincare regimen because I developed an allergy to benzoyl peroxide and was only using really gentle products. For me, stress always triggers the hormonal imbalance, and without the support from BCP my body couldn't handle stress well so my hormones can get out of whack easily. If you have your stress under control and are not having symptoms of depression and anxiety, then you should be fine.

The mistake I was making every time I would go off BCP was that, as soon as the acne came back, I would get scared and go back on another BCP instead of try to find a healthier solution. Herbs and supplements helped me a lot when I completely quit BCP 5 years ago, but my last breakout was the hardest to manage and the supplements that used to work for me in the past weren't doing anything, Not even my usual skincare (boscia products for acne-prone skin) was doing anything, so I switched everything up. In the past, I had managed to find perfect combinations of supplements and skincare products to completely clear my skin, but this time it's been harder so I can only tell you what worked for me up until this current breakout.

1. Agnus casts/ vitex: It helped me have regular periods after quitting BCP but the side effect was an increase in facial & body hair. I don't recommend this for long term use, and it should be taken with an anti-androgen to balance out its androgenic impact.

2. Evening primrose oil: A milder alternative to agnus castus, can help with PMS related acne. However, some people have reported more breakouts from it so it depends on how your body reacts to it.

3. Acai berry supplements: Help with antioxidant support and contain a good mixture of vitamins for healthy skin. The brands with the fewer capsule fillers are solgar and paradise. I avoid the ones that add corn, wheat, rice, etc to their supplements.

4. Solgar's Earth Source vitamins: I used these when I was trying not to use too many herbs. They helped keep my skin clear after a nasty ongoing breakout, and were working for me up until the past few months. I think I just didn't need them anymore, but they are definitely the best multivitamin I have tried so far because they also contain other good things like selenium, magnesium, a mild herbal blend, and glutathione.

5. L-glutathione: This is one of the few things that has helped me with inflammation this time around. Not recommended for long term use, just 1-2 months for liver detoxification and antioxidant support. It really helped me with inflammation and less severe hormonal breakouts. It's easier for the body to absorb if you are also taking vitamin C (but not at the same time - vit. c with a meal, then glutathione 1-2 hours in between meals).

6. Vitamin C: This helps more with skin texture, energy, and healing.

7. Probiotics: I use the dairy free kind, with multiple strands of probiotics to help maintain a healthy liver and gut, which also helps regulate hormones more effectively.

Ok, this is all I can think of right now. Hope this helps! It's good to start with less and then see how your skin will be in a few months, and adjust your regimen accordingly. Right now, you are doing a preventative regimen because your skin is clear, so don't go overboard. If your acne starts to come back in a few months (hopefully not!), don't panic and don't go back on BCP if you are trying to quit for good. Just slowly adjust your supplements and skincare, and you'll be fine shifty.gif

D3 is essential for health and hormone regulation, but few people seem to clear up completely on JUST D3. It's sort of like D3 is the floor and being acne-free is the carpet. Well you can't have carpet without a floor, but just a floor isn't the same as floor and carpet. Okay, stupid analogy, but you get the idea. I still take D3 just to maintain good health and energy. But if I were you, I would look into more direct hormonal regulation AS WELL through:

- natural USP progesterone

- DIM

- vitex agnus

- herbal anti-androgens (saw palmetto, stinging nettle)

So basically I got my period this June which lasted about 3 days more or less. It was more like heavy spotting than a period really. There was only 1 day when I had used a tampon really. The rest of the time I used liners. This is strange for me because I have been on birth control for so long. So I was reading more about Vitex and how it as really regulated the cycles of women.

Usually not having a period would bother me, but after reading about how bad that is for women, I am looking into fixing that without birth control if I can. So just a couple of questions please.

1. Has vitex worked for you?

2. Do you take the recommended 1000mg/daily dose?

3. How soon was it till your period was regular?

4. What side effects did you experience?

5. How long were your periods? And were they heavy or lighter than usual?

6. Did acne get worse or better?

7. If you have taken birth control, how does it compare?

8. Is taking Vitex with my Metformin, Vit D, and Zinc okay?

Would really appreciate your help on this because the 3 day really really light period kind of freaks me out. Going back on birth control to regulate my period is sort of my last resort but I might want to if my cycles will be like this all the time. :(

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/24/2013 9:52 pm

I would try the other herbs recommended for period regulation before this, but...

If you get desperate, one woman on here cleared her acne AND regulated her period just using USP progesterone based on a post that I wrote. She left me a PM thanking me for it recently, and to let me know she was deleting her account, so unfortunately I don't think any of her posts exist anymore? I don't know what happens when you delete her account. If you do a search for my name and progesterone you should at least find what I wrote about it.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/26/2013 8:14 pm

I would try the other herbs recommended for period regulation before this, but...

If you get desperate, one woman on here cleared her acne AND regulated her period just using USP progesterone based on a post that I wrote. She left me a PM thanking me for it recently, and to let me know she was deleting her account, so unfortunately I don't think any of her posts exist anymore? I don't know what happens when you delete her account. If you do a search for my name and progesterone you should at least find what I wrote about it.

I will try and look through a bunch of your posts. I think I will give it a month or two more to see if my cycle gets regular. I've been off the pill for a little over a month now so maybe my body is still adjusting.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/03/2013 8:13 pm

I think that if your skin is still clear after quitting BCP, don't add the herbs. Before adding herbs, you should get your hormones checked (do the saliva testing, it's more accurate than blood tests) and then take the results to a naturopath so they can recommend the right combination of herbs for you. Vitex is a bit risky, especially when taken long term. Like I said, it helped me a lot initially, but if you take it too long it can create other imbalances. It triggered a lot of facial hair growth for me, which suggests that it should be taken in conjunction with an anti-androgen to prevent this. The anti-androgen should be introduced later on, but the timing is very hard to get right that's why I advice you to wait and only resort to herbs or hormone creams if your acne is moderate to severe. Since you are doing the regimen, I think that should keep your acne under control. Try to stick to a diet that doesn't encourage hormonal fluctuations - low GI, low fat, low carb etc.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 07/06/2013 11:12 am

I have PCOS.

5000iu of D3 (along with 10000iu of A and multivitamins) daily for nearly 5 months. No positive results...

MemberMember
(@bris305)

Posted : 07/06/2013 2:10 pm

I have PCOS and 3 weeks ago had to go onto the mini pill (cerazette) because i couldn't tolerate the headaches from the oestrogen any longer. (am in my early 30s).

Acne used to be bad, is pretty mild now but keratosis pilaris has gotten worse since i gained a stone 3 years ago. have lots of blackheads, probably a few whiteheads and one pustule a day and about 2 cystic lumps a month. Most of it is on my chin.

This means I really have to sort out the pcos. I've pretty much gone all guns blazing for it - a multivitamin (includes zinc, chromium, d3 etc), plus vitamin k2, magnesium spray and 3 days ago started the low GI diet. Will report back.

MemberMember
(@bris305)

Posted : 07/18/2013 7:08 am

Acne on face pretty much cleared up apart from clogged pores and blackheads, But then I started getting cysts on my chin, one new one per day. A few days ago I started using homemade toothpaste (no sls, fluoride etc) and fingers tightly crossed, no new cysts for 2 days.

MemberMember
(@bellalabelle)

Posted : 08/10/2013 7:44 am

Hello all,

I have been taking 50mg of ZINC (along with additional MsM, B-complex, B6 and Biotin) and have been experiencing amazing results as far as my skin is concerned. I know that the improvements in my skin is due to the zinc and I can vouch for it especially since my skin is horrible due to Pcos and has never seen improvements like this. I take 50mg of zinc every other day at a separate time by itself. The reason I take ZINC every other day is because the upper limit is 50 mg and I would like to take 30 mg but cant find it anywhere. This seems to be okay with my body rolleyes.gif While taking Zinc for acne I noticed my breakouts are now 1-3 pimples a week if that and also my blemishes seems to be clearing and my skin color is now returning to normal. I'm so excited, I don't even wear makeup to run to the store any more lol. While I have not take vitamin D-3 I do plan to incorporate it into my regimen as I have read wonderful studies on it.I'll keep you guys updated as I continue this process and wish you all the best in your journey's.

Bella.