Notifications
Clear all

Which Is The Culprit? Spiro Or My Makeup?

MemberMember
(@viasidd)

Posted : 05/07/2013 3:34 am

I thought the breakouts would go away by now, but I still have them. And it's been over a month since I moved up dosages. I've used spiro for over 7 months. Whats going on?

I'm not getting a few cysts on my jawline and random pimples on my cheeks!

But also this might be the culprit, I feel stupid for doing this, but I've switched from my old brand of makeup to Mac Studio fix powder...Is that clogging the pores in my cheeks. Sephora no longer carries my brand so my mom just bought me MAC to use.

My skin was breaking out a bit a couple weeks before I switched to MAC because I upped the dose, but do you think the extra acne I'm getting going crazy because of the makeup?

If so, what brands of powder are good? I'm not a big foundation wearer...More of powder.

I'm also darker skinned, so not all brands have my shade unfortunately...

Thanks, guys! :)

I forgot to mention, that I moved from 75 to 100 mg! so I was breaking out because I moved up a bit, but also it could be my makeup! Ugh Idk!

MemberMember
(@maplesyrupmama)

Posted : 05/07/2013 3:41 am

I have no idea, I'm sorry. :(

bareMinerals have a very large range of colours and are *meant* to be good for your skin.

MemberMember
(@viasidd)

Posted : 05/07/2013 9:56 am

I have no idea, I'm sorry. sad.png

bareMinerals have a very large range of colours and are *meant* to be good for your skin.

Haha, thanks though. I'll try looking into it.

Yeah, my breakouts are getting out of hand right now

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 05/07/2013 10:13 am

hey hun,

thought i would mention that some poeple are very allergic to MAC make up. I used to use MAC studio fix powder as my foundation but its very heavy and many people report breakouts of acne on this. It was OKAY on me but i did notice i broke out a lot more on it, and my skin seemed to clog easily with blackheads/spots, when i took my make up off at the end of the day it didnt look any better. Even the foundations are super heavy and a couple of my friends got rashes from it. its usually meant for tv and stage and all.

you're better off using a different foundation. Try Origins line of foundations, they have some powder foundations that are very nice in amazing colours and very gentle on skin with good coverage (not cakey but a good coverage). Some mineral brands are also good, everyday minerals/bareminerals. Clarins make up might be worth a shot but it has some fragrance in it but its also gentle.

Those are my suggestions but I wouldn't buy MAC if you are breakout prone or have sensitive skin.

to test your sensitivity - for 3 days, apply the foundation every morning on one side of your forehead without moisturiser. test the product for 3 days like this and see how you react.

I do this with make up (i have literally every foundation from chanel to MAC/Clarins out there) and most recently with Clinique Oil Free Stay matte foundation. Within 1 hour i developed a rash like bump on forehead.

hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 05/07/2013 1:55 pm

+1 to LillyRose's comment. I've heard a lot of stories about people breaking out from MAC makeup. Maybe try a different brand.

Here is a list of (ingredients that can clog pores, cause irritation, etc.) That might help with the search. You're in luck that you like powder more than liquid foundation because they are usually less comedogenic.

If it's not the makeup and indeed spiro, try to stay calm and wait it out for a couple more months. Hormones can take up to 3 months or more to completely adjust after an upset. The makeup might just be aggravating the problem.

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/08/2013 6:25 am

Stop using an makeup for a week (just use concealer on spots). You will quickly find out if it is your make up. Spiro supposedly helps your skin but peopel all react differently...for me yaz cleared my skin but others swear it breaks them out. I dont wear make up anymore unless is a special occasion or Im getting photos taken. Most make up breaks me out or causes clogged pores. The only one that doesnt is called oxygenetix and its mad expensive (of course! lol)

MemberMember
(@viasidd)

Posted : 05/08/2013 9:40 pm

+1 to LillyRose's comment. I've heard a lot of stories about people breaking out from MAC makeup. Maybe try a different brand.

Here is a list of comedogenic ingredients (ingredients that can clog pores, cause irritation, etc.) That might help with the search. You're in luck that you like powder more than liquid foundation because they are usually less comedogenic.

If it's not the makeup and indeed spiro, try to stay calm and wait it out for a couple more months. Hormones can take up to 3 months or more to completely adjust after an upset. The makeup might just be aggravating the problem.

Okay thanks!

And I talked to my derm. And she told me to move up to 150mg! She's crazy! I don't think my body can handle that much! I'm tolerating 100mg right now and it's only been a month lol.

She also said I should try my tazorac ointment for a while? Is that a good idea?

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 05/10/2013 3:20 pm

i dont know your skin hun or haven't seen it, yes 150 mg is one of the highest i have heard. My endo used to give 100mg to hirutism cases. I was offered like 25mg but never took it, i take the pill now. I think tazorac is RETIN-A but i'm not sure? you have to see how you react to these topicals, in my personal experience my skin got bad on them in terms of extreme sensitivity. Dr . Dennis gross acne products and peel pads work very nicely on me because they r so gentle yet effective but prescription products broke me out bad and just make me look bad. Try the makeup adjustments if you can to see if it makes a difference.

MemberMember
(@viasidd)

Posted : 05/10/2013 8:16 pm

i dont know your skin hun or haven't seen it, yes 150 mg is one of the highest i have heard. My endo used to give 100mg to hirutism cases. I was offered like 25mg but never took it, i take the pill now. I think tazorac is RETIN-A but i'm not sure? you have to see how you react to these topicals, in my personal experience my skin got bad on them in terms of extreme sensitivity. Dr . Dennis gross acne products and peel pads work very nicely on me because they r so gentle yet effective but prescription products broke me out bad and just make me look bad. Try the makeup adjustments if you can to see if it makes a difference.

Yeah, I'm just going to try the makeup for right now...And I want to give Spiro 2 more months to see what happens.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/11/2013 6:50 am

I agree with many posters that MAC is hands down not a great makeup if you're acne prone and definitely if you have cystic acne. It is a makeup that is designed for the stage (think actors and actresses that need to look flawless). If you feel confident, ditch makeup altogether and give your skin a chance to breathe. I would be careful with TAZ as it is the most irritating retinoid out there. I used Atralin (which is a gentler formulation of retin a and i really liked it though it never helped my acne as much as i would like. With any retinoid, it will take 3 months to notice improvement and you may most likely have a purge period, so prepare for that. Have you tried BP? I hear that that can definitely help with the inflammation of acne (epiduo, acne.org BP, acanya).

Good Luck. If you want more information about products, feel free to PM me.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 05/13/2013 5:32 pm

Another idea would be to create your own mineral powder. It actually isn't that difficult, and there are a lot of recipes and even videos online. And some recipes are made up of mostly common household ingredients.

Here are some links to check out. You could also just google something like "make your own mineral makeup." This way you actually know EXACTLY what is in your makeup. smile.png

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Mineral-Makeup/

http://www.beautyfringe.com/2012/04/make-your-own-mineral-veil/

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/12/2013 11:59 pm

I use MAC and haven't had a problem, however many makeups (including some of the MAC lines) have kelp and algae in them. Kelp and algae have IODINE in them which affects your hormones when eaten or APPLIED ON THE SKIN. Honestly I have no idea how much iodine, but it could be a culprit.

I would stay at 100mg for at least 3 months before upping your dose again. Your derm may just be the type that wants to get patients out of his/her hair and throws meds at you tongue.png