Notifications
Clear all

Any women tried Spironolactone?

MemberMember
(@blue_eyez)

Posted : 09/29/2004 12:20 pm

Shortee: it's been about 3 weeks for you on Spiro right? are you noticing a big difference yet? i went to the dr yesterday and she told me i will see the most improvement at the 2 month point....i just need to be patient i suppose!

MemberMember
(@shortee)

Posted : 09/29/2004 9:56 pm

I am seeing a difference, especially in my oily skin. I wouldn't say I'm seeing a 'big' difference as far as acne goes. I am seeing less and they tend to be smaller, but after 3 weeks I wouldn't say that my breakouts have diminished considerably as I have always had at least 1 since I started on it. Right now I have 2, looks like another typical pre-period breakout.

Very cool to hear about your doc saying 2 months....I guess I am almost half way there! If Ortho Lo was going to do anything for my skin I should be noticing that by now as well, since it's been 4 months I guess now since I started on that. BCP's never really did much for me before, but I was glad to hear they might keep me from having between period problems caused by the Spiro.

Best of luck to you blue_eyez!!!

MemberMember
(@kelin)

Posted : 09/30/2004 12:45 am

I was on 100 mg a day, but I switched to 50 because my skin was getting a little too dry.. It seems to have gotten better since I went down. I think the scalp dryness is calming down too. One thing I forgot to mention... Even though I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclen along with the Spiro, I've had spotting for like an entire month without ever getting an actual period.. So that's weird.

MemberMember
(@theresasix)

Posted : 09/30/2004 9:52 am

Well, I went to see my doc and she pretty much gave me 2 choices...Spiro or Accutane. I hadn't even thought about Accutane (I'm a scaredy cat), but she told me that she took a round a couple of years ago and her face is FLAWLESS so I'm debating if it's something that I should consider.

However, I'm going to see what all the Spiro can do first and started taking it again 2 days ago. She started me at 50mg, but I think I'm going to bump it up to 100mg in a couple of days. Now, I've read that Spiro is much more effective for reducing acne if it's at least 150mg per day. Do you ladies find that this is the case as it seems that many of you are only on 50mg - 100mg?

Thanks a bunch smile.gif

T

MemberMember
(@blue_eyez)

Posted : 09/30/2004 11:30 am

theresasix: I think 150mg is too much. 100mg is sufficient. If you want to avoid major side effects, i would stick with 100mg. Your skin will get really, really dry with 150 mg, and your mensrual cycle might go seriously out of whack....remember it takes about 2 months to see the results, Accutane isnt an over night cure either, so be PATIENT!!

Shortee: i keep reading your diary so keep us posted on your progress!!

MemberMember
(@theresasix)

Posted : 09/30/2004 6:04 pm

Blue...

Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and took 100mg today...I would have waited longer if I had any bad side affects from the med, but so far so good. I know...I AM being very impatient wink.gif

Shortee...

I would like to read your updates on your progress with Spiro as well!

T

MemberMember
(@shortee)

Posted : 10/03/2004 11:50 am

I was just writing in my Spiro journal about an upped dosage. I think my derm will bump me to 100mg if I continue to breakout before my period, which I am doing right now!!! He told me that if he was going to bump me to 100mg that he would want to run a blood test first and make sure my potassium isn't too high. Right now I am taking 100mg/day (50mg X2/day), so if I was upped, it would be to 200mg/day, or maybe just to 150mg. I don't go back in for another checkup until Nov./Dec., but I'll be sure to let you guys know what he decided for me and what new side effects I can expect from the higher dose.

Kelin ~ That is weird, but it doesn't surprise me w/ Spiro. Did this happen the first month that you took Spiro? My first period on Spiro was totally out of whack. This month I haven't had any problems yet, but my period is supposed to start next week, so we'll see how that goes. I hope that that stops for you, I know how annoying it can be!!

Thanks everyone for reading my journal! I try to update everyday, but now that school is in it will be harder for me to do that. I don't see that much difference from one day to the next, but I will try to update several times a week if not every day. Take care, girls!!

MemberMember
(@blue_eyez)

Posted : 10/04/2004 2:01 pm

It's been officially two weeks for me and I have noticed some difference in my acne, although the oil production has not really changed yet. I find that my acne is healing quicker and my face isnt as red, but i think the lack of redness is due to the fact i've quit using all cream products, like after-wash BP or SA, etc. Its very irritating and I'm starting to think it makes your face look worse.

I just use my Panoxyl cleansing gel in the evening, while alternating in the AM with my Marcelle cleansing gel, which is really gentle but removes all makeup. Do any of you ladies use topical creams in conjunction with Spiro at the moment? I know Shortee does....she uses Differin.

MemberMember
(@pankins)

Posted : 10/04/2004 3:51 pm

I am taking 200 mg daily w/no birthcontrol...skin is 100% clear. I have heard that anything under 100 mg is a waste of time, but everyone is different. If you have very stubborn hormonal acne, i would at least take 100mg daily, if not more. My skin does best on 200mg. I started on 150 mg and that worked great, but I would still get a pimple here and there and being the perfectionist that I am, i didn't want any so I upped it to 200. I have had no negative side effects while on this dosage and spiro is safe to take up to 400 mg daily.

MemberMember
(@snoopy22)

Posted : 10/05/2004 4:53 pm

Ok, I just found this site and because I was searching the internet for information about spiro.

I currently take Yasmin (the obgyn said it would help w/ my very BAD pre-period breakouts) and am on the second week of my fourth month. The switch to Yasmin at first made me get small bumps in areas on my face but when I first started taking BC I remeber getting these as well and they went away once my body got "used" to the pill.

Anyway, I saw my derm and mentioned I was taking Yasmin and she said she could prescribe me 50mg of spiro to take w/ it and that will help too.

I am on my third week of taking the Spiro w/ the Yasmin and I have had a lot of cysts! Is it possible that things can get worse before they get better? First I had 4 on my forehead, now that area is clear. Then I had like 6 on the left side of my mouth, chin area and now they are subsiding as well. BUT, it's my right side's turn and I swear I woke up this morning (in my boyfriends bed - I was so embarassed AGAIN) with FOUR new HUGE ones on my right side. My doc isn't in today - has anyone else experienced a break out before a clearing?

Please reply,

I'm desperate....

MemberMember
(@pankins)

Posted : 10/05/2004 7:32 pm

I have never takin Yasmin or any birthcontrol w/my spiro, but from my experience with spiro alone I never had an initial breakout. My skin just stopped breaking out after about 2 weeks. My oil subsided almost immediately after starting on it. I guess it could be the combination, or maybe your pill will cause your skin to get worse before it gets better. I have heard many girls on several message boards say that they acne flared up a bit when they first started on any given BCP, but eventually got better.

Hang in there and give it a while...i know it sux though sad.gif

MemberMember
(@snoopy22)

Posted : 10/05/2004 8:10 pm

I have never takin Yasmin or any birthcontrol w/my spiro, but from my experience with spiro alone I never had an initial breakout.  My skin just stopped breaking out after about 2 weeks.  My oil subsided almost immediately after starting on it.  I guess it could be the combination, or maybe your pill will cause your skin to get worse before it gets better.  I have heard many girls on several message boards say that they acne flared up a bit when they first started on any given BCP, but eventually got better.

Hang in there and give it a while...i know it sux though sad.gif

MemberMember
(@shortee)

Posted : 10/05/2004 11:30 pm

From what I have read on here and stuff it seems like 50mg doesn't do much. I'm on 100mg/day right now and probably will be up to 200mg/day in another couple of months. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Give your Yasmin & Spiro at least 3 months until you start to make a decision about changing. I know it's hard to wait that long, but it really does take a while for our bodies to adjust. Best of luck!

PS ~ I use Tazorac, actually, not Differin smile.gif

MemberMember
(@raerae)

Posted : 10/05/2004 11:51 pm

Hello all,

Glad to see everyone is doing okay. Just a quick note, had a doctor's appointment today and he refilled my Spiro. The doctor was so proud that Spiro has cleared me up completely haha However, the birth control pill I'm on Demulen (generic Zovia) is mostly estrogen and like he warned me would cause me to gain some weight. He was right. But I'd rather have clear skin and be able to take the weight off. Just wanting to add the new progress.

Take care,

Rae

MemberMember
(@theresasix)

Posted : 10/06/2004 12:26 am

Rae...

CONGRATS. I can only hope that I will have the same great results biggrin.gif Thanks for updating.

T

MemberMember
(@sierra)

Posted : 10/06/2004 1:03 am

Dont risk it, ive read about tumours developing in rats that were used in Spironolactone tests. Spiro also causes birth defects in male babies eg. feminization of a male foetus. I fell pregnant while taking this stuff and a Dr. recommended abortion. Why risk it when you can use Botchla's clean and clear routine ? All topical. Much safer to the body.

I too had the jawline hormonal acne.

MemberMember
(@raerae)

Posted : 10/06/2004 1:35 pm

Sierra: Thanks for the concern. But my acne is resistant to that type of treatment, trust me I've tried EVERYTHING. I already have a hormonal imbalance (Thyroid) and that is a major cause of my acne. SA won't cure Hormonal issues especially when you have a few like I do. I'm assuming if you want to become pregnant you have to stop taking Spiro months before you plan to conceive. I've heard very little about that feminization of male babies but probably because i'm 22 and probably will not have kids for another 8 years or so. Thanks again for your concern. Sometimes doctors do not spend very much time with their patients, like when I was prescribed TAZORAC, he never mentioned the severe birth defects that would require one to have an abortion if you became pregnant. Just goes to show.

Thanks,

Rae

MemberMember
(@raerae)

Posted : 10/06/2004 1:37 pm

P.S. Sierra sorry about the situation you were put in with your doctor.

Rae

MemberMember
(@snoopy22)

Posted : 10/06/2004 2:58 pm

Does anyone know about how long until I see results from the spiro? I got worse, and I think it's clearing up a bit and I have less oil. Just want to know how long until I'll be clear.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@raerae)

Posted : 10/06/2004 3:08 pm

Snoopy,

Hi. I've been on Spiro almost 3 months and am clear. I truly think the key is slowing down oil production in order to be clear, because as soon as that was under control my skin really changed.

Good luck,

Rae

MemberMember
(@snoopy22)

Posted : 10/06/2004 4:23 pm

Does anyone know about how long until I see results from the spiro? I got worse, and I think it's clearing up a bit and I have less oil. Just want to know how long until I'll be clear.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@bebe99)

Posted : 10/06/2004 5:31 pm

Hello,

I have question for those of you who have taken spiro without any birth control pill. I have read that it can make your cycles really irregular...have any of you experienced this? Thanks for any input!

MemberMember
(@blue_eyez)

Posted : 10/06/2004 7:04 pm

Snoopy:

i'm breaking out like crazy too on each side of my face at separate times. I dont know why but i've been on Spiro for 2 1/2 weeks, keep positive, give it more than a month before doing anything different.

MemberMember
(@theresasix)

Posted : 10/07/2004 12:47 am

Hi All...

Well, I have taken Spiro (100mg) for exactly 8 days and had a migraine today so I'm going to have to quit. I knew that migraines might be a risk but I was willing to try it anyway. However, I also know that if I get a migraine within a month or two of me starting a new med...it is a guarantee of more to come. I'm so sad right now and I'm not even sure why I'm posting. I guess I just wanted to give you ladies an update and also vent at the same time cry.gif After ALL of the topicals, antibiotics, prescriptions, over-the-counter, and every other "treatment"...Spiro was my last hope and I'm so scared of Accutane...

T

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 10/07/2004 1:53 am

Hi All...

Well, I have taken Spiro (100mg) for exactly 8 days and had a migraine today so I'm going to have to quit.  I knew that migraines might be a risk but I was willing to try it anyway.  However, I also know that if I get a migraine within a month or two of me starting a new med...it is a guarantee of more to come.  I'm so sad right now and I'm not even sure why I'm posting.  I guess I just wanted to give you ladies an update and also vent at the same time  cry.gif  After ALL of the topicals, antibiotics, prescriptions, over-the-counter, and every other "treatment"...Spiro was my last hope and I'm so scared of Accutane...

T