Notifications
Clear all

Skeptical about Spironolactone

MemberMember
(@kctlove)

Posted : 04/25/2011 3:04 pm

I was prescribed the pill along with epiduo by my derma. I've been on the cream and the pill for two weeks now and I feel as if it's not doing any justice. Not even a little bit. If anything, its made my skin even more oily and gave my skin a couple more gifts (acne). Its only been two weeks and Im skeptical wether this is the right thing. Ive read other posts saying they've been on it for months and months and even years. And I wonder, there's gotta be a better regimen out there that will work wonders in so little time. Doesn't anybody agree? I know, I gotta have some patience but I think it's a little ridiculous the amount of time that the pill ACTUALLY starts working for my skin. On top of that, it has some odd side effects. Like, I'm on birth control pills to HELP me regulate my cycle since I'm very irregular & apparently, spiro can irregulate my cycle. My derma is aware of my irregular cycle as well. So I don't know what to do with this pill at all. Before I forget, A lot of people says the pill has a minty scent. When mine smells like cannabis. I started noticing the smell a couple of days after I started taking the pill. Does anybody know what Im talking about the smell?

MemberMember
(@sima)

Posted : 05/01/2011 1:44 pm

Nothing works in two weeks. You have to give it more time. I started seeing results in 3 to 4 months. Everything takes time. Your expectations are unreasonable. It does smell weird, but I'm not sure if it smells like marijuana. Maybe you're a little paranoid? Spironolactone works well for me.

MemberMember
(@melissa6980)

Posted : 05/04/2011 1:30 am

I agree it sucks acne treatments don't work faster. Unfortunately, those treatments would likely take a good three months to work. Spiro sometimes takes three to six, but you've also got the epiduo to help things along. I wish acne treatments worked faster but I haven't found anything that does yet. It is possible for it to make it a little worse before it makes it better but it might really work well for you and help you when it gets better. Spiro, retinoids and benzoyl peroxide are some pretty effective acne-fighting treatments, together, it could be hard for the acne to stand a chance once it kicks in. The birth control can help so that spiro doesn't mess with your cycle so much. If you have too many probs with it, you could ask your doctor if the epiduo plus the birth control is enough.

MemberMember
(@kctlove)

Posted : 05/21/2011 4:03 pm

Nothing works in two weeks. You have to give it more time. I started seeing results in 3 to 4 months. Everything takes time. Your expectations are unreasonable. It does smell weird, but I'm not sure if it smells like marijuana. Maybe you're a little paranoid? Spironolactone works well for me.

If Im paranoid, then so as ten other different people I asked if they smell the same thing as I was smelling.

But thanks for your input about Spiro. I had to stop taking it because it was just not working. 🙂

MemberMember
(@kctlove)

Posted : 05/21/2011 4:12 pm

I agree it sucks acne treatments don't work faster. Unfortunately, those treatments would likely take a good three months to work. Spiro sometimes takes three to six, but you've also got the epiduo to help things along. I wish acne treatments worked faster but I haven't found anything that does yet. It is possible for it to make it a little worse before it makes it better but it might really work well for you and help you when it gets better. Spiro, retinoids and benzoyl peroxide are some pretty effective acne-fighting treatments, together, it could be hard for the acne to stand a chance once it kicks in. The birth control can help so that spiro doesn't mess with your cycle so much. If you have too many probs with it, you could ask your doctor if the epiduo plus the birth control is enough.

Thats exactly what I mean. I was reading other people's reviews about Spiro and majority of them started seeing results 6 months to a year later they got on the pill.

MemberMember
(@carbonate)

Posted : 07/29/2011 11:55 am

Before I forget, A lot of people says the pill has a minty scent. When mine smells like cannabis. I started noticing the smell a couple of days after I started taking the pill. Does anybody know what Im talking about the smell?

It all depends on what manufacturer you get it from; most likely you are getting a generic version of the drug since that's what insurance companies prefer. The pharmacy I use switches generics of spiro on me all the time, and sometimes I get oblong or circular minty-scented pills and sometimes I get circular pills that smell awful (although I'm not sure I'd describe it as smelling like marijuana).

MemberMember
(@natbelle)

Posted : 02/28/2020 12:56 am

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!

Yes, omg spironolactone smells WILDLY like marijuana. I live in portland, where it is legal, and did a side my side comparison of smells. Deadass the same smell.

Stick with spriono for a few months. I didn't see results until Itook 200mg a day for a few weeks. It worked, but caused extreme light headedness. So 100mg/day is where I've been at for 5 months (2months of 200mg/day). It does work. It just takes time!

MemberMember
(@jody12)

Posted : 04/09/2021 12:09 pm

On 5/1/2011 at 2:44 PM, Sima said:

On 5/21/2011 at 5:03 PM, kctlove said:

If Im paranoid, then so as ten other different people I asked if they smell the same thing as I was smelling.

But thanks for your input about Spiro. I had to stop taking it because it was just not working. :)

You are not paranoid. I have the same smell from my bottle. I got a three month™s supply, but into my second month I noticed when I opened the bottle that smell was strong, and yes, my bottle was in a cool dry place, away from sunlight. Taking it to the pharmacist. Maybe he would know what™s going on.

MemberMember
(@rou2727)

Posted : 03/12/2022 12:10 am

100% smells like weed lol I came across this post when I googled it