Notifications
Clear all

YAZ birth control

MemberMember
(@boston50)

Posted : 11/03/2009 11:27 pm

Sorry Sarah, have you been able to pinpoint why you started breaking out two years ago? Had you just begun bc pills? I am asking that because you said you had just gotten married. Your question might be hard to answer because everyone reacts differently to bc pills. It seems like a fair trial is about 6 - 9 months although some women take a year. You will certainly know within that time whether or not it's going to work for you. My daughter is on Yaz but I think Yasmin actually worked better for her acne. It made her an emotional wreck though so no thank you. Yaz is better for her emotionally. She also takes 100 mgs. of spironolactone with it and she just completed 5 months on that. She would like to cut down on that though because of the side effects. She's been on Yaz since about May. I would say that this 5th month on all of that is when she has seen the most progress. Early on, not so much. She also had a couple of vi-peels and gets monthly laser treatments which has been helpful. I hope that helped a little. Keep posting...

MemberMember
(@zoesaysno)

Posted : 11/05/2009 7:59 am

I went on Yaz because of PMDD. I got happy, my skin was not. It was a nightmare when I stopped taking it. I was told to wait at least 3 months for the pill. Some things get worse or take a lot of time before it gets better.

MemberMember
(@boston50)

Posted : 11/05/2009 11:37 am

I went on Yaz because of PMDD. I got happy, my skin was not. It was a nightmare when I stopped taking it. I was told to wait at least 3 months for the pill. Some things get worse or take a lot of time before it gets better.

Please clarify.... It sounds like you went off after 3 months? It can take over 6 months to see results in some cases. DD just completed 6 months and her skin is now noticeably improved and soft looking.

MemberMember
(@west214)

Posted : 11/06/2009 10:19 am

I am so lost with this pill! I started on BC 8 months ago with Trinessa. I know this is what started my acne problems. (never had any before) I tried Yaz for a month but I was so upset that it was getting worse, that I stopped. I did notice smaller cysts on yaz, but there were still a lot of them. Does anyone know if that means it was working. I am also on Doxy but it doesnt seem to be helping. I get pimples all along my laughlines and jawline. I need to be on BC, but I got so fed up that I tossed my pack and now I'm wondering if I was too hasty!

MemberMember
(@boston50)

Posted : 11/06/2009 1:03 pm

I am so lost with this pill! I started on BC 8 months ago with Trinessa. I know this is what started my acne problems. (never had any before) I tried Yaz for a month but I was so upset that it was getting worse, that I stopped. I did notice smaller cysts on yaz, but there were still a lot of them. Does anyone know if that means it was working. I am also on Doxy but it doesnt seem to be helping. I get pimples all along my laughlines and jawline. I need to be on BC, but I got so fed up that I tossed my pack and now I'm wondering if I was too hasty!

Trinessa is what was prescribed for my daughter a few years back. It made her acne go nuts and she quit after 5 months or so. By then it was so bad that she tried Accutane which made it so much worse!!! When she decided try the pill again she went on Yasmin and then added spiro and that was the silver bullet. Now she is on Yaz and spiro. The other combo worked better but Yasmin made her too emotional. Once you have had a breakout, healing is very gradual. If you were seeing smaller cysts on Yaz that means progress in my head. I would work with a derm to get some advice. Perhaps an antibiotic (short term!) to get some healing underway. I view an initial acne outbreak as an infection in the skin that needs to be gotten under control. Also, would give you an emotional break. Just make sure to take lots of probiotics afterwards to restore the flora in your system. DD is about 6 months into this regime after going off of Yaz last winter. Big mistake. She is so much better now and just dealing with the aftermath - scars etc. I am also a big fan of peels. I think they can work wonders along with the right internal meds. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

MemberMember
(@lemonlover)

Posted : 11/06/2009 3:34 pm

I have tried taking Yaz two times, but can't make it through a month. It makes me so fatigued and moody. And during that month I break out worse (and also, the most recent time, I had a 2 week "breakthrough bleeding" period.) My doctors say I should give it more time if I want it to improve the acne but I blame it for making me feel miserable. For the month I took Yaz, I pretty much lived on the couch and did the absolute bare minimum for everything in life. I didn't connect that it was caused by the yaz either, so I just felt like a loser - and the moodiness made me very depressed on top of it. I forgot to take my Yaz one day and the next day mysteriously felt much more energetic and good. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm convinced it's not for me and won't take it anymore. It was like those worst 2 PMS days multiplied and spread out over a whole month - acne, crying, fatigue, and all.

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 11/09/2009 6:21 pm

I am just starting my forth yaz pack now. My acne is noticably better, but i have a lot of scarring from the initial breakout. I started breakingout right after my wedding. I had been on ortho tri cyclen low for 5 years at that point with no problems, and then all of a sudden it just started going crazy. i was also losing more hair than normal in the shower too. I went off ortho lo to see if it would help adn i think it started gettting worse. so now im on yaz. I am seeing a great improvement in my acne, but i do have a lot of scarring from the initial breakout. I am also still getting breakouts too. I am wondering if the breakouts will ever totally stop? Or maybe yaz just isnt strong enough to totally stop them? I just saw a dermatologist and he put me on doxycyclene. I really dont wanna be on antibiotics unless its totallt nessecary, so i am waiting. Im just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if their acne eventually cleared all the way. They are driving me nuts. I eat so healthy, which is hard cause i looooove food, but i will do almost anything for clear skin. I just dont wanna put my body thru more antibiotics. Im allergic to almost all the antibiotics they give you for acne and im a little nervous i will be allergic to this one too, plus they are so bad for your body. I also am pretty positive that its my hormones causing it since yaz has improved it. I just want the rest of the acne to clear up before i have any more scarring. I use to have such pretty skin. This is so hard. It makes me so sad.

Thanks for replying. 6-9 months sounds like such a long time. But since its getting better so far maybe it will clear soon? I hope!

MemberMember
(@boston50)

Posted : 11/09/2009 6:53 pm

I am just starting my forth yaz pack now. My acne is noticably better, but i have a lot of scarring from the initial breakout. I started breakingout right after my wedding. I had been on ortho tri cyclen low for 5 years at that point with no problems, and then all of a sudden it just started going crazy. i was also losing more hair than normal in the shower too. I went off ortho lo to see if it would help adn i think it started gettting worse. so now im on yaz. I am seeing a great improvement in my acne, but i do have a lot of scarring from the initial breakout. I am also still getting breakouts too. I am wondering if the breakouts will ever totally stop? Or maybe yaz just isnt strong enough to totally stop them? I just saw a dermatologist and he put me on doxycyclene. I really dont wanna be on antibiotics unless its totallt nessecary, so i am waiting. Im just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if their acne eventually cleared all the way. They are driving me nuts. I eat so healthy, which is hard cause i looooove food, but i will do almost anything for clear skin. I just dont wanna put my body thru more antibiotics. Im allergic to almost all the antibiotics they give you for acne and im a little nervous i will be allergic to this one too, plus they are so bad for your body. I also am pretty positive that its my hormones causing it since yaz has improved it. I just want the rest of the acne to clear up before i have any more scarring. I use to have such pretty skin. This is so hard. It makes me so sad.

Thanks for replying. 6-9 months sounds like such a long time. But since its getting better so far maybe it will clear soon? I hope!

I would say that if you are seeing a lot of improvement and only just starting your fourth pack, then you will do well on this pill. Just my opinion, of course. but you could very well just clear up without anything else. You are wise to avoid the antibiotics especially if you are clearing just as well without them. Doctors are quick to jump to that because that was always the next traditional step after topicals, etc. etc. We are more enlightened now . It irritates me because few if any will caution you about the importance of intestinal flora and how antibiotics screw that up. I do think they are helpful sometimes but should not be used long term. If you are not clear at 6 months, consider adding spironolactone. It was the silver bullet for my daughter. She has just scars remaining now. I know it sucks and you sound like me long ago. DD handles things much better than I did. Consider a vi-peel or other peel. I think they are great and go along way towards regaining normal skin tone. Keep your chin up and get good at makeup. Six months will come and go in a whisper.

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 11/10/2009 5:12 pm

Thanks so much for replying. It helps to hear other peoples experiences and how it works for them. I had a bad experience with microdermabrasion about 2 years ago that left my face all red and raw and veiny. Ever since then my skin cant handle any kinds of acne washes or anything. I can only use very gentle products on my face which makes it hard to deal with this acne issue. So im really hoping that the yaz clears me up. Otherwise i just dont know what to do anymore. I really hate wearing makeup on my skin. I have a very care free life style and having to put on makeup to go camping or to just run to the store is a real pain. I use to have beautiful skin and never wore makeup. My face seems to be getting clearer, but it is still very oily. Less oily than before yaz, but still oily. Does anyone know if this will eventually dry up more? I am starting my 4th pack now. I have to drive at least 2 hours one way to get to a dermatologist, so its a huge pain having to go to the dermatologist to deal with this especially when they dont have any answers for me. This is so frustrating!!! I will keep in touch with my progress.

MemberMember
(@j_lee143)

Posted : 11/11/2009 8:14 am

yaz is being discontinued!!!!!

MemberMember
(@boston50)

Posted : 11/11/2009 1:04 pm

Yaz is being discontinued by you or by the company? Please clarify...

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 11/26/2009 1:14 am

I tried looking up if it has been discontinued and found no info on it. They better not. I was on the patch the first time on BC and it was the worst!! It made me breakout in cysts and it made me crazy! Hated it. No problems on yaz and i think its gunna clear my skin up. It seems to be getting better. I dont even think i have had a migrane on it. And i get baaaaaad ones!!

MemberMember
(@daniel-j)

Posted : 11/26/2009 12:56 pm

I tried looking up if it has been discontinued and found no info on it. They better not. I was on the patch the first time on BC and it was the worst!! It made me breakout in cysts and it made me crazy! Hated it. No problems on yaz and i think its gunna clear my skin up. It seems to be getting better. I dont even think i have had a migrane on it. And i get baaaaaad ones!!

There's a study showing 600mg (300mg twice per day) of Magnesium Glycinate drops or eliminates migraines. Since, 70% of the population is magnesium deficient it's the better route to go.

Yaz & Yasmin are garbage. Just buy the tried and true "Tri Sprintec" its at WalMart for just $9 a month even without insurance and stopping throwing your money down the toilet and giving yourself more serious side effects like abnormally high potassium levels.

Tri Sprintec doesn't have this side effect and helps acne in more people. Problem is it can take up to 6 months to see the difference like all BC pills. Since, they merely work by lowering sebum levels. Accutane does that plus another big thing.

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 11/28/2009 3:11 am

Yea, i know yaz has side effects. but i need the birth control and it has been the only thing that has helped me at all, so i guess im willing to take the chance as long as im getting good results. All medication has side effects and everyone reacts differently. I normally dont like to be on medications, but this seem to be he only thing that has helped my acne, moodiness, and hair loss, etc... The other medications the doctors were putting me on didnt work and gave me bad side effects. Thanks.

Also i was on ortho lo before and that is suppose to help people with their acne too, but it didnt help mine. i think it may have caused it actually.

MemberMember
(@daniel-j)

Posted : 11/28/2009 1:27 pm

Also i was on ortho lo before and that is suppose to help people with their acne too, but it didnt help mine. i think it may have caused it actually.

Enjoy while it lasts. Yaz & Yasmin will eventually be pulled from the market. Plus, Ortho Tri cyclen Lo is too low dose to work effectively. Plus, slightly increases the rate of pregnancy due to this.

Tri Sprintec is a generic of Ortho Tri Cyclen not Ortho TriCyclen Lo. Women on Lo often get lot of breakthrough bleeding because it's simply too low of a dose for anything effectively including acne.

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 11/28/2009 1:48 pm

I was on ortho lo for 5-6 years and no pregnancy. In my experience i cant handle the higher doses of hormones. They make me crazy and breakout in huge cysts. I use to have no skin issues. But i like yaz and from my research i have heard nothing of it being taken off the market. They talked about the patch like it was gunna be discontinued too a few years ago and its still out there. Go ahead and look up ortho tri cyclen. It has as many complaints as yaz out there along with every other birth control. i have done my research. Everyone reacts differently to every medication. just how it is. They also say accutane is discontinued, but people are still getting perscribed to it. whatever.... I am just trying to figure out my issues and the simpler things just havent been working. I cant use acne face products ever since a horrible microdermabrasion experience. They distroyed my skin and now its all red and sensitive and cant handle things it use to. really sucks. Hate wearing makeup. allergic to all the antibiotics.(dont like them anyway). yaz is the only thing that has done anything. so im using it for now. the only way i will stop is if its discontinued or i get bad side effects.

MemberMember
(@jj5858)

Posted : 11/29/2009 7:18 pm

I was on ortho lo for 5-6 years and no pregnancy. In my experience i cant handle the higher doses of hormones. They make me crazy and breakout in huge cysts. I use to have no skin issues. But i like yaz and from my research i have heard nothing of it being taken off the market. They talked about the patch like it was gunna be discontinued too a few years ago and its still out there. Go ahead and look up ortho tri cyclen. It has as many complaints as yaz out there along with every other birth control. i have done my research. Everyone reacts differently to every medication. just how it is. They also say accutane is discontinued, but people are still getting perscribed to it. whatever.... I am just trying to figure out my issues and the simpler things just havent been working. I cant use acne face products ever since a horrible microdermabrasion experience. They distroyed my skin and now its all red and sensitive and cant handle things it use to. really sucks. Hate wearing makeup. allergic to all the antibiotics.(dont like them anyway). yaz is the only thing that has done anything. so im using it for now. the only way i will stop is if its discontinued or i get bad side effects.

I am so glad that people are having good experiences with Yaz. I am about to start taking Yaz tonight and am sooo scared. But I have faith. I had the mirena IUD and about 7 months into that I started breaking out everywhere... Then I went on Ortho Lo, and this month had a 3 week period. On top of that I am on mino and acanya gel and am still getting pimples... Sooo heres to YAZ!!!!

MemberMember
(@missfig59)

Posted : 11/29/2009 7:33 pm

I hate to be the party pooper but god I hate Yaz with a passion.

My acne blew up, I had a stupid period every other week, I was moody for no reason, wasn't motivated and I had really bad joint pain.

Everyone reacts to medication differently so I really, really hope for the best when it comes to the rest of you!

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 11/30/2009 5:34 pm

Hi. I broke out pretty badly the firt 2-3 months on yaz, but it was just a purging of he skin. I had a lot of clogged pores and they all came out in huge zits during that time. Im not completely clear yet, but my face is a lot clearer than it was before yaz. I was also very scared before starting yaz. I waited about 5 months after being perscribed to it to start taking it cause i was so nervous, but so far so good. If you start feeling sore and achey then drink more water. Im just ending my 4th pack now and im hoping to be totally clear soon!! otherwise i have to try the antibiotics the derm. gave me, and i really dont wanna take those. My body doesnt like antibiotics at all. My skin doesnt like acne products. so its hard for me to find whts right, but so far yaz has been the best help for me. I will keep you all posted on if i become clear. The first couple months were pretty hard to deal with, but i had hope that it would clear and it seems to be starting. I only have a few zits now. Good luck!!! keep us posted on your experience. I would guess that if you are still breakingout on antibiotics and using face products then it is probably hormonal. Just my opinion tho.

MemberMember
(@jj5858)

Posted : 11/30/2009 8:26 pm

Hi. I broke out pretty badly the firt 2-3 months on yaz, but it was just a purging of he skin. I had a lot of clogged pores and they all came out in huge zits during that time. Im not completely clear yet, but my face is a lot clearer than it was before yaz. I was also very scared before starting yaz. I waited about 5 months after being perscribed to it to start taking it cause i was so nervous, but so far so good. If you start feeling sore and achey then drink more water. Im just ending my 4th pack now and im hoping to be totally clear soon!! otherwise i have to try the antibiotics the derm. gave me, and i really dont wanna take those. My body doesnt like antibiotics at all. My skin doesnt like acne products. so its hard for me to find whts right, but so far yaz has been the best help for me. I will keep you all posted on if i become clear. The first couple months were pretty hard to deal with, but i had hope that it would clear and it seems to be starting. I only have a few zits now. Good luck!!! keep us posted on your experience. I would guess that if you are still breakingout on antibiotics and using face products then it is probably hormonal. Just my opinion tho.

Yea, I had Yaz in my cabinet for about 3 months now. HAHA. I was too scared. But after the derm, a family friend thats a doc, and friends have all told me to try it... So now I am. But it took a lot of convincing. I have been on the mino for 6 weeks now, and acanya gel for 3 months. Acanya really worked well at getting rid of the blackheads, but I am still getting pimples. I have no reason to believe this isnt hormonal. I had PERFECT skin until about 4 months ago. Like I said before I had a baby in Nov 2008, and had the mirena. Then I got an ovarian cyst and started breaking out on my face, chest, shoulders, and back. AHHHHHH! I am praying hard that this will put an end to this. Good luck to you! Keep me posted:)

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 12/01/2009 12:54 pm

when i was doing research on yaz i saw a lot of people said it cleared their body acne pretty quickly. Some people said their faces cleared really fast and some said it took 3-6 months or more. I dont have the body acne, but i also use to have perfect skin and about 2 years ago i started breakingout pretty badly. It looks like i am one of the people who it is taking a while. A lot of people also said they broke out worse the first few months on it and then it cleared. Right now my skin is so much softer and smoother than it was. If i could use any kind of topical treatment on my face im sure it would clear up quicker, but my skin is too sensitive. So im waiting very impatiently. But it is getting better slowly. I would say give it a good few months at least, as long as you are doing good on it anyway. My skin didnt start looking noticably better until around 3 months i think. try not to get discouraged. It was hard during my initial break out, but i think its gunna be worth it. Good luck and i hope you get fast results.

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 12/03/2009 3:25 pm

ok. I just finished my 4th pack of yaz. I just got a few new zits. They are small, but it still drives me nuts. I thought it was clearing. I did just go thru some pretty intense stress tho plus i am starting my period. So maybe that has something to do with it? I just want it clear. Im so tired of my acne problems. I need it clear already!! Its so embarrassing.

One thing i am confused about. I had very very oily skin before i started yaz. It has gotten less oily on yaz, but it is still oily. Will that ever go away? And why does yaz clear some people right away adn then some people take months and months to get clear? im confused.

Dont get me wrong. Yaz has cleared me a lot, but i want the rest of my skin to clear. Its making me crazy. i cant take it. I dont like being seen like this.

I just thought i would be clear by now.

Im considering taking my antibiotics, but i really really dont wanna take them. especially since i will have to use condoms or my diaphram if i do. i hate the condoms and diaphram. they suck. I just have a lot of scars from the initial breakout on yaz and i dont want to get anymore.

I am going in for a vbeam treatment for some redness in my face that a bad microdermabrasion caused and some acne scars and i dont wanna be still breaking out when i go in for that. I have seen 3 different dermatologists and i have to drive at least 2 hours one way to see any dermatologists, so this is getting pretty frustrating.

Is it a very gradual clearing process? Like if i am seeing improvements 4 months in, will it keep getting better? or if im still breakingout, is this the best it will get? AHHHHHHHH!!!!

MemberMember
(@amic13)

Posted : 12/03/2009 4:13 pm

I started Yaz 4 days ago... and I know everyone reacts differently- I hope for those of us giving it a try, we are some of the lucky ones. My Dr. suggested it, and I trust her- her daughter is on it as well. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@minocyqueen)

Posted : 12/08/2009 11:40 am

I started Yaz 5 days ago, and am soooo nervous. My derm said I shouldn't see an initial breakout but after some of these posts I'm worried. I'm also on Solodyn (antibiotic), and Ziana (topical retinoid).

I have severe depression and body dysmorphic disorder related to my acne. I have had crazy moods these past few days, but I'm not sure if it's the regular emotional issues or the Yaz. Both my derm and my psychiatrist advised me to start on the Yaz. Tomorrow I'm seeing my psych for a checkup.

I have cystic and regular acne on my cheeks and chin. It really hurts because up until the mid-summer I was crystal clear, then all hell broke loose. I'm 38.

Anyone on Yaz dealing with depression? Has the Yaz helped or hurt your depression? Will moods even out over time? Any thoughts appreciated.

MemberMember
(@sarahjn)

Posted : 12/08/2009 2:20 pm

I am just starting my 5th month of yaz. I am almost clear. I did get an initial break out that was pretty bad, but i have a different kind of acne than you. I had all these little clogged pore bump things and a few pustual things. They came out into huge zits the first 1-3 months. But now it seems to be getting better. i do get a little breakout now and then and i get freaked out, but it does seem to be getting a lot better. I was getting depressed before yaz, but i dont know if it was me or the acne getting me so down, cause it would make me crazy dealing with it. I also had clear beautiful skin up until about 2.5 years ago adn then it just exploded. Yaz is helping tho.

You might not get an initial breakout being on antibiotics. When i was on bactrim my acne was clearing very quickly, but i ended up being allergic to it, so i had to stop.

Yaz does seem to be helping me a lot but its very very slow. Like i said, its my 5th month and im just starting to get clear enough to be happy with it.

I would say be patient and it should help, but everyone is different. They say give it at least 3 months, but it could be more or less.

good luck to you. I really hope it helps you.