Notifications
Clear all

Dianette

MemberMember
(@fizgig)

Posted : 06/18/2008 9:58 am

Whoops, it's a long time since I last posted!

I just finished my third pack the other day and am going to the doctor in about half an hour, if all is well I should get my next prescription though I'm slightly nervous as I'm not seeing my usual doctor.

At the moment my skin is looking quite good but I have a small breakout (barely anything compared to the ones I would get in the past mind you). I found a great cream that helps with my scarring here but unfortunately that store only supplies to the UK...I shall let you know if I find anywhere else selling that cream though. It's not greasy so it doesn't make me break out but it heals scabs and scars really well if I just put it on overnight, so I'm looking a lot less red than I used to.

Glad to see dianette's working for some people and good luck to those who aren't seeing results just yet, I'm sure that will change!

MemberMember
(@crazyferrets)

Posted : 06/18/2008 11:51 pm

Okay,

I just started Diane 35 a week and a half ago. I think today is day eleven. For the past three days my boobs have been so sore it is unbearable. I don't even want to continue taking it anymore but I'm not sure what else to do.

I have never had severe acne, usually only mild, a bit more when it's getting to be that time of the month and have never been on anything for acne. My skin is generally managable as long as I wash it morning and night and when I get a pimple I use an OTC treatment. A few years ago I was on Tri-Cyclen for BC, maybe for six months or so. I liked it because it did seem to clear up my skin almost completely but I had to stop it because my boobs were sore so I went onto Alesse for BC. I was on the Alesse for just over four years, a few breaks during the summer when I didn't need the BC or when I wasn't dating anyone and then stopped completely this past fall. I was off it for about six months and my skin was great, once again only one or two when it was that time of the month. I started back on Alesse in March and I think it was about one week to the day when I started breaking out on my back. It got worse and worse until I couldn't stand to wear anything but a shirt that covered up to my neck but I figured I would go for three months and maybe I would adjust to the Alesse again. My boobs started to get sore, my skin wasn't improving and I think I was also getting some headaches and moodiness so I went to the doctor. The doc said the acne was likely because the BC wasn't strong enough in estrogen and the boob tenderness, headaches and moodiness would be because the estrogen was too strong. I have developed drug insensitivities to other drugs before after using them for a while so I figure maybe this is what happened. Anyways he gave me the Diane 35 to clear up my skin and we talked about other types of BC to switch to after my skin cleared; depo provera, IUD, etc.

So now here I am, eleven days in. The acne on my shoulders has subsided almost as soon as I stopped the Alesse, no real new ones appearing and likely just a few small ones that were already there coming to surface but... I have started breaking out on my neck, mainly just below my ears and on my chin and a few where guys would have sideburns. From what I've read on here it seems that I can't expect immediate results and alot of people get an initial break out so I'm not too concerned about the acne and I would not even hesitate to continue if it weren't for the unbearable soreness! When I was originally on the Tri Cyclen I went from a full C cup to a DD cup, on Alesse my boobs were generally maintainable as a full D cup and when I'm not on anything I'm usually between a small D cup to a large C cup. Now only a few days into the Diane 35 I'm overflowing a DD cup and I don't even know what letter comes next! It is a hundred times worse than anytime before and even if I breath in too deeply it hurts because I am moving my pec muscles and in turn my boobs. Half the time I feel really stupid complaining about my boobs being too big because I know some people who would love to have a little extra but boobs have a size limit and I wish I could just stay at a nice C cup.

Oh and I'm really sorry about the long post but I'm just desperate for some indication on what I should expect from Diane 35.

MemberMember
(@fcukit)

Posted : 06/20/2008 8:48 pm

To Diane users who have been on the pill for over four months. Has the pill helped with red marks. What I am asking is does the pill help them fade as well. I have very bad red marks on my back and I was wondering if in time like the recommened 6 months do they heal as well?

MemberMember
(@coffeejunkie)

Posted : 06/21/2008 3:04 am

I'm not to sure if they help red marks but i hope so, I'm on month 4 now and so far so good, my left cheek has cleared a good bit which was very stubborn for months, my neck has healed a bit too. Generally, I think my face is not too bad although there are quite a few blemishes. My neck tends to break out quite often though :(

Anyway, my boobs have shrunk back to normal but I think it is because I gave uo drinking all milk which has greatly improved my acne in the past week or so.

Goodluck ladies :)

MemberMember
(@fizgig)

Posted : 06/21/2008 7:24 am

To Diane users who have been on the pill for over four months. Has the pill helped with red marks. What I am asking is does the pill help them fade as well. I have very bad red marks on my back and I was wondering if in time like the recommened 6 months do they heal as well?

I've actually just been on the pill for three months but I think it has helped a little with red marks for me, my skin is smoother and more even than it was before I was on dianette. I still do have some red marks though, they just don't seem to be absolutely everywhere on my face and chest anymore and my back is completely clear now, of spots and scars! I've recently been using an aloe vera cream that I mentioned in my last post and it really helps with healing my red patches and scabs from previous spots, so perhaps try something like that? Unlike most creams mine isn't very greasy either, so no breakouts from using it :)

MemberMember
(@stereophonic)

Posted : 06/28/2008 9:34 am

well,ive been on dianette now for 2years this umm july the 8th hehe,yes i am that sad and remember the exact date.

anyways,after about 9months i was clear,and that lasted for about a year and a month. my face is still about 95% clear,but recently (this past month) ive noticed breakouts becoming more frequent. it all started when i had a pretty horrid breakout at exam time,two cysts and like 4 red zits and overall bad complexion,which seeing as my skin beforehand was 100% clear, was a bit traumatic

since then, i dunno,ive become concerned that its all starting to come back and need constant reassurance from people around me that that isnt going to happen. ive started noticing little things. Around my nose i have some blackheads and around my lips some blocked pores. these all bugged the life out of me,i squeezed them and have made things worse. but all in all i have two red spots, and umm about 5blocked pores. i squeezed them coz i have a busy week next week and i go on holidays with the girls in mid-july and wanted rid of any potential spot before the 'busy-spell' lol.

i dunno i guess i am just very worried that the pill is starting to wear off if thats even possible. my sister tells me it isnt as loads of women would be getting pregnant,which is a good point. am i worrying over nothing,a few blocked pores and some red spots? or is it the beginning of my cystic horrible acne coming back. which simply cannoit happen. my life is dramtically different now than what it was in 2005,i ismply cant have bad acne again,il die!

MemberMember
(@emilykate)

Posted : 07/23/2008 1:31 am

Hey guys, im new here and need a little bit of advice...

I was on diannette for 2 years and had brilliant skin by the end of it, i used to get compliments etc on how good my skin was. After these 2 years my doc decided that I couldnt be on diannete anymore, I had to switch to Yasmin. I have been on yasmin for 1 1/2 months now and my skin is breaking out BADLY, i have a massive spot on my bottom lip line right now and it hurts so badly, and my forehead is all red and bumpy i dont know what to do...should i beg to go back on diannette? do you all think it would work again if i go back on it? im scared i wont get my great skin i had back

MemberMember
(@darkviolet31)

Posted : 08/04/2008 2:16 pm

hi ladies I haven't posted here in a while, well bad news for me, I have stopped taking diane35 on my fourth month because i was experiencing anxiety/ panic attacks with shortness of breath which i never never had before taking diane 35. My face did clear in my third month but wasn't happy since my side effects were horribleee!!!!!!1 i decided to see a naturopath and she explained that the pills might have cause me to have all of this because it depletes b vitamins. I have always been stressed before taking diane which is a sign of vitamin b deficiency and when I took diane35 it made it worse so panic attacks took place. I am still having panic attacks and I take xanax to control them. the naturopath has given me vitamins to help with my hormonal acne, time will tell. It has been 4 weeks with no diane35 and yes my face got oilier and have small spots. If the pills are working great for you stay with it. good luck to all

MemberMember
(@fizgig)

Posted : 08/17/2008 8:38 am

I have just finished my fifth pack of dianette now and my skin has definitely improved a lot since I started taking it. I only ever get a few small pimples now and a lot of the scars from previous spots have completely gone. However, I'm slightly concerned that I've been having quite a few symptoms that could be interpreted as those of pregnancy. I know the pill can confuse your body about that but it still makes me panic! Does anyone else have that problem to such an extent?

MemberMember
(@katelib86)

Posted : 11/07/2008 2:08 pm

I wrote up to this board the other day with a query about Dianette, but I am asking about the same thing here as well - I am 21 and after an allergic skin reaction to an ingredient found in the sugar coating of another non-acne related med I finally went to the doc. I stopped the med completely (which wasn't for anything serious or ongoing) and he suggested that it was an acne-like dermititis on my face, which may benefit from Dianette to clear whatever it was. Well I have agreed to this and it's been 4 weeks since starting the pill, yet I'm still worried that I've done the wrong thing agreeing to using Dianette. Neither he nor I are even 100% certain it IS acne but here I am with this skin condition, which does in fact look like the pinky marks you get left with after your acne has cleared (I think it's called something like post inflammatory pigmentation).

Do you think the Dianette will clear these marks? Or does anybody agree it may be an unwise move using something as strong and acne teatment-based as Dianette?

I'd love to hear what other people think about my case, because I am thinking of possibly ending my treatment next month in case I cause unnecessary probs, yet I'd like to be able to clear this on my face.

Ta

MemberMember
(@athella)

Posted : 05/28/2009 12:59 pm

2 YEARS AGO, WAS ON DIANETTE FOR 1 YEAR FOR ACNE (FACE AND BACK) AND CONTRACEPTION, WAS A FANTASTIC MEDICATION THEN, REDUCED OILY SKIN, NO WEIGHT GAIN, NO SPOTS, SMOOTH BABY FACE.

GP TOOK ME OFF IT DUE TO INCREASED RISK OF DVT.

FOR THE NEXT YEAR, DIDNT HAVE MAJOR SPOTS AT ALL, FACE AND UPPERBACK CLEAR..NOT ONE SPOT.

RECENTLY, HAD A BREAKOUT ON MY BACK AND THE ODD FEW ON MY CHEST, HOW ANNOYING..FACE WAS CLEAR. DECIDED TO GO TO GP AGAIN AND REQUEST FOR DIANNETE, GP DIDNT WANT TO GIVE IT ME, BUT DID IN THE END, ADVISING ME TO COME OFF IT AFTER 3 MONTHS.

SO, I STARTED USING IT, ACNE ON BACK/CHEST STARTED GOING, REDUCED OILY SKIN (DO SUFFER FROM VERY OILY SKIN).

HOWEVER ENDED UP GAINING 4 POUNDS IN ONE MONTH, FELT SO BLOATED AND CHOCOLATE CRAVING. ALSO, HAD PAIN AROUND MY LIVER ALOT, FELT SO HEAVY, THAT I WAS HAVING ISSUES SITTING, AS ONE SIDE OF MY STOMACH (RHS) FELT VERY HEAVY, WITH THE OCCASIONAL PAIN. I COULDNT TAKE IT AND AFTER ONE MONTH GAVE DIANNETE UP.

SO, AM GOING TO TRY OTHER NATURAL THINGS, SUCH AS BAKING SODE AND APPLE CIDER VINEGAR,WHICH HAVE WORKED FOR ME IN THE PAST.

MemberMember
(@darkviolet31)

Posted : 05/28/2009 2:54 pm

why not try a nutricionist.... maybe grounded flaxseed and epo might be good for you... let me know how things turn out. i took diannett for 5 months and had to stop because i had panic attacks, not sure if it was the pills but decided to stop and see a nutricionist who suggested flaxseed, epo and vitamins and how to handle stress... now i have some from now and then ,not clear clear but better....

good luck

MemberMember
(@star02)

Posted : 06/02/2009 9:53 am

I was on Diane for 7 years and i had the clearest skin ever! I came off of it because of the high risks that come along with it 3 years ago. My skin remained clear and smooth until about 6 months ago when I started breaking out like crazy..mostly on my chin. I started to scar really bad so I went back on the Diane. Only problem is this time I'm getting severe migraines and dizziness to the point I had to see a neurologist. I was taken off the Diane and now I'm looking for something that isn't as strong but will help with my acne. My advice is if your not having complications from it, stay on it! Give it a few months adn your skin will start to clear up beautifully! I wish i could still use it!

MemberMember
(@sahara)

Posted : 06/10/2009 1:58 pm

Dianette is brilliant. I've been on it for a little over a year now and have gone from moderate/severe acne to clear. I do still have the scars to show, but having suffered from acne for so many years I never imagined it would work so well.

MemberMember
(@english_rose)

Posted : 06/10/2009 2:22 pm

After pregnancy and breastfeeding I went on Dianette which was in 2005. I started to get breakouts and severe migraines in 2008 and in Nov/Dec 2008 I was taken off it as my GP felt I was at risk of a stoke. My acne continued to get worse and I am now into my first week of isotretinoin which is going well.

MemberMember
(@kawai_chick)

Posted : 06/16/2009 6:20 pm

I've started Dianette a month ago, now I'm on my 7 days break (which will end on Thursday). My skin isn't clear yet, I had a bad break out last week. But I sticking with it, the comments here are encouraging so I hope my skin will clear with this pill.

MemberMember
(@becca88)

Posted : 09/21/2009 10:22 am

I've been taking dianette for my skin, I'm currently nearing the final week of my 2nd month, and my skin isn't that fantastic to be honest! Initially I took the pill because I do have quite bad periods, but also I had loads of spots all over my face that were under the skin, so it wasn't really nice to have, especially in hot weather! However, ever since I've been taking Dianette I've had the worst breakouts, probably the worst i've ever had!

All the spots are all around my mouth and chin area, which I know is hormonal, so I guess the pill has somewhat caused this as it controls your hormones anyway! I think my body is just getting used to it. I have been feeling pretty dispondent with it if i'm honest, but I have been back to the doctors and I'm taking antibiotics to control it with a topical cream. I'm just hoping it will work by next month as I can't cope with this any longer!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@mairead)

Posted : 10/23/2009 11:26 am

Hi everyone. Im starting dianette today but im going to my friend's predebs in 3 days time and am hoping to have good skin. Everyone seems to say that they break out before they see any improvement with dianette. Does this mean that in three days my skin wont be great or will it have affected it that soon?

Posted : 10/30/2009 5:31 am

Hey girls,

Recently went to see my naval doctor about my acne as its been getting me down and she decided to put me on dianette, as i have taken antibiotics before and they didn't work.

Im nearing the end of my first pack and im so glad i found this page because seems alot of us go through the same process correct me if im wrong.

But i have the worst breakout i have had in ages and i guess its getting out of my system, so you girls reckon it gets worse before it gets better?

Any info will be great.

luena x

MemberMember
(@junior11)

Posted : 10/31/2009 9:03 am

Its it just Dianette which make your skin get worse once you stop using it? Or do all BCPs do the same thing or are they different?

MemberMember
(@sophieanna)

Posted : 05/10/2013 4:30 pm

So, I went to the doctors today and have been prescribed an initial 6 month course of dianette. The GP is also keeping me on my lymecycline and differin so hopefully it should be fairly free of any massive IB upsets!! I have a dermatology appointment on the 2nd of August which is when another GP thinks they may look into accutane but today's doctor thinks I may not really need to take such drastic measures as this should help me out! So yep, fingers crossed!! Just hoping that my low moods aren't going to be dangerously low! My housemate has been on dianette for a while and saw amazing results re acne, so hopes are high!

p.s. Luena, all the meds I have been on have definitely made things worse at the start so just stick with it :) your body just needs to adjust to all the hormones you're pumping into it and gain some stability. Don't worry everything will even out eventually x

MemberMember
(@emdottyjackson)

Posted : 05/14/2013 7:14 am

Dianette was the only BCP that ever kept my skin clear. (Unfortunately it came with many other side effects). I stopped taking it because I had taken it since I was 16, I'm now 30! For the past year I have tried Yasmin, microgynon, Marvelon and now Cileste. Yasmin and Microgynon made me crazy! Marvelon made my spots worse and Cileste i'm still not sure on. My skin has been terrible the past few months, but so has 'my taking the pill regime'! I've missed quite a few, so I think my hormones don't quite know where they're at.

Anyway, I'm of an age now where I want to start thinking about starting a family. I've almost a months worth left of cileste and to be honest I really can't be bothered to get any more, so i'm thinking of calling it quits with the BCP, (hubby can 'suit up' if he doesn't want a baby yet!) Just wondered if anyone has come off b/c and how long it takes (if at all) for their skin to get into gear. In the past when I've had a months break, my skin has erupted, but I was hoping it just needed time to adjust to my normal hormone levels?

MemberMember
(@kellogg)

Posted : 05/17/2013 11:13 am

I am 31 and have mild chin acne that worsen during the week before my period. I took dianette on and off throughout my teens and 20's and then had my son when I was 27, my skin was completely clear when pregnant and afterwards then a couple years ago started to get spots on my chin again mostly during the week before my period, nothing major but a few months ago the spots became more regular, only a few at a time but they really bother me. I have been taking dianette again for 5 weeks so too soon to tell if its helping but haven't had an IB but my skin did look a bit rubbish on my 7 day break. I am struggling with the side effects of the pill tho, have lost a stone ( am already thin) have no appetite and feel sick and down sometimes. Don't know whether to persevere or not! I am using dalacin t twice a day and bp at night. Just don't know what to do x

MemberMember
(@mgirv)

Posted : 06/19/2013 9:27 am

Hey all, I am new to the forum. I just wanted to ask anyone who can offer some further advice on Dianette. I have been taking it now for one month, and I did notice that my skin was less oily in the first few weeks, although I broke out quite badly in my week off. Can I ask has anybody else experienced a relapse in their monthly week off the pill? Does it continue or does it subside after taking it for a certain period? Also, I personally suffer more so on my face with congestive acne i.e. large pores, blackheads, and lumps and bumps under the skin more so than large pimples. Can anybody say whether Dianette has helped with this form of acne? I would particularly like to know if people have noticed a reduction in size of pores? Mine are huge so I am praying for this added bonus!!! Has anybody found combining Dianette with antibiotics helps? I have also been taking oxytetracyline for 6 months now but haven't felt it has done much, could anybody recommend another antibiotic which they have found compliments Dianette for moderate acne? Thanks for any advice!!!

MemberMember
(@itssbeth)

Posted : 09/30/2013 4:13 pm

I broke out for the first 3-4 months like crazy, but then it started to improve! I came off it after a year and a bit and my skin was clear (except from a few acne scars) i'm on yasmin now - so far so good