Notifications
Clear all

OCM Ruined My Skin! Help!

MemberMember
(@pbp55)

Posted : 09/30/2016 10:49 am

Hey guys, this is my first experience with acne and I'm not sure how to deal with it. So i have very sensitive and moderately oily skin. I broke out here and there in high school and was prescribed Epiduo topical treatment for my here and there pimples. The Epiduo was working great for awhile until i wanted to switch over to a natural way of cleansing and treating my skin. I've always wanted to combat my oily skin so i did a lot of research and found that Jojoba oil was said to be the best for oily skin and help minimize the production of it. I began the method in late July and continued into August until i started seeing small bumps all over the side of my chin and forehead. I've heard of the purging experience but i wanted to stop just in case. It's now going on 2 months and i have full blown acne on the sides of my chin. The small bumps turn into white heads that i extract and then they come back the next day. I see no light at the end of the tunnel. I made an appointment with my dermatologist and i'm wondering what how the heck my acne will ever go away now! If anyone has gone through this please let me k ow what medication or topical treatments have worked!!

MemberMember
(@star22)

Posted : 10/21/2016 8:40 pm

I ended up with a face full of clogged pores when I did OCM. I was devestated. The good news is there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it may take some time. I couldn't believe that it took a month to get to that horrible skin and I couldn't get back my clear skin Just as quickly. But it will happen eventually:)

To be honest my face was pretty good to begin with. Why I did OCM.... idk!

for me I first tried BP But it didn't do much. Then I used salicylic acid (neutrogena) but the purging was too much for me. It was pretty awful so I went to the dermatologist. She described my face at that point as clogged pores, pustules, and papules... They prescribed me epiduo and I had the most horrible "reaction" (according to the dr). Not sure if it was purging or a reaction but it was like giant red blisters covering my face - horrible. however since you've been on it before you may be different.

Ok so what worked for me? I really believe antibiotics. I used doxy for a month along with washing gently with water only and a microfiber cloth. Didn't moisturize for a couple weeks. My face cleared up. Maybe took 2-3 months and it was in tip top shape. The sad part is with everything I tried before that it took much more than 2-3 months to find my fix. I found something online that someone else fixed their mess from OCM with doxy.
I tried a lot of other things like masks and supplements but ultimately I think the simple approach with antibiotics is what worked. And some patience. Trust me I know-it was not easy!!! Ignore the mirrors. Give your face some TLC.

I did use BP after the massive breakout but I had to be careful not to inflame my skin too much. I eventually did buy dans bp and would recommend that. I use it occasionally now but I do not need it often anymore TBH.

after epiduo I had really bad PIH - so once I was clear I started Paula's choice aha gel. After about 1 month I saw drastic improvement in the red marks. 2 months almost clear red marks. It's been a year now since this all happened from the beginning.

From the whole experience I feel like I am more obsessive and notice every little imperfection on my face (wish didn't). I know more about skin care, products, etc than ever before. I use cerave hydrating cleanser now, cerave moisturizer and Paula's choice products (mainly aha). For me less is better.

I still have some tiny comedones but purging scares the crap out of me and I think I always had some. Literally only a couple. Aha keeps everything under control for the most part. Even my hormonal big zits/cysts? --I used to get before this I never get anymore. They come - small-and they go muccch more quickly .. I believe it's the aha.

Short version- antibiotics!! Lol

hope that helps.